(shouting)

Level testing and discussion

PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Level testing and discussion

Post by PSI Ninja »

In this thread:
  • You may post your work-in-progress levels for others to test if you have claimed a level in the spreadsheet. Please link a .bps patch and not a ROM.
  • You may provide feedback on any levels that others have posted here, or have already been inserted into the base ROM. Please keep your comments constructive and respectful.
To keep those of us who aren't on the romhack shack Discord server informed, a number of levels have already been "completed" (7 as of this writing) and we've been giving feedback in the #testers-wanted channel. However, I thought that there should also be a complementary forum thread for more exposure.

Check out this spreadsheet to see the list of claimed levels (or to claim one yourself): https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 1122672625

If a level's status is "inserted", that means you can playtest it by downloading the latest base ROM files (located here: https://github.com/lion65816/aat), and following the instructions under "Getting Started".

Otherwise, .bps patches for the levels that aren't yet inserted are only available through the #testers-wanted channel in the Discord (unless someone posts them here, too). You can join the server here if you wish: https://discord.gg/ZBUdbZyMAq

Note: When reviewing a level, it would be helpful if you could also assign it a difficulty rating out of 5, where 1 is early game, and 5 is late game. It will help us with overworld placements later.
Nao
Pronouns: he

Re: Level testing and discussion

Post by Nao »

Apart from what's in the baserom, this level is currently up for testing as well: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... ehouse.bps

EDIT: It's now in the baserom.
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

Here are my reviews for two of the levels, using the base ROM as of this commit. I hope my comments don't sound too nitpicky - this is the first time I'm giving serious level design feedback and I don't know if I'm any good at it yet.

baby catnips get tragic concussions by Nao (Level 1)
Overall thoughts:

I thought that this puzzle-based level was very clever, and exploited some of the quirks of the SMW engine to good effect. However, I didn't really have any trouble figuring out these puzzles. It's probably a consequence of having played so many SMW hacks in the past ~15 years (especially hacks with stages that exploit vanilla mechanics) that I've gained so much knowledge of the engine, and so I've been conditioned to approach these types of SMW puzzles in a certain way. I am sure that someone who's relatively new to SMW hacks will struggle a lot more with this one. Thankfully, the level isn't punishing, and once you solve a puzzle, it's easy to execute. Your only enemies are the timer (a generous 999 SMW seconds) and the yellow sponge blocks at the end that can crush you. I feel like there should be a way to redo a puzzle quicker, though. Sometimes you have to walk all the way from one side of the level to the other in order to go through a reset pipe (i.e., the section where you have to guide a beet with turn blocks). And also, when you fall into a pit, the teleport blocks take you back to the previous room instead of restarting you in the same room (but this is probably done for technical reasons).

There was a graphical glitch that kept happening - whenever I would hit a turn block, the top row of the screen would briefly flicker. I tested this in both bsnes v115 and Snes9x v1.60. Also, the default Yoshi message is shown when you feed a Baby Catnip for the first time. I assume this will be fixed later.

My favorite puzzle was for the 3-Up beet. You had to think outside the box for that one. Also, I appreciate that the timer is set to 999 instead of 0. Personally, I like it when people put timers in their levels, because in general, it's a good, quick way to gauge a level's potential length. Also, I do like to casually speedrun sometimes, and it provides a simple means to tell you how fast you're going through a level in-game.

Time: 999
Difficulty: 2/5

Detailed comments:

Section 1 (level start):

The yellow bar at the start filters you to Small Demo and removes your reserve powerup. Is this a standard convention in modern SMW hacking (removing your reserve powerup as well)? To get to the left door (the secret exit room), the first thing I tried was to cross the barrier with a reserve powerup, and that's when I learned that your reserve gets filtered out, too.

Section 2 (beet guiding):

If you throw the shell up to the left side of the right Catnip, or the right side of the left Catnip, it will still activate the turn block when they eat the shell. Also, the very first turn block I hit can still launch the beet, even after it falls into the pit. Were these intentional?

This is rare and probably not a big deal, but if you dupe a block above these Catnips, then this will happen.

If you do a running jump here, it reveals that there are two blocks at the top. Normally, you can only see the bottom block.

Would it be possible to have a quicker retry if you lose your shell? You have to go all the way to the left side of the level, go up the pipe, and then back down the pipe again to retry.

Section 3 (falling platform):

If you duck under the turn block and mount Catnip when Big Demo, you will fall through the floor and die. But this is on the player though (and not that easy to do anyway).

Minor: Catnip disappears briefly when you go through the scrolling pipes.

Section 6 (yellow sponge blocks):

If you touch the Goal Sphere while holding a Baby Catnip, Demo will keep kicking it around during the fanfare. I just thought it was funny.
Demo in the Sky (no diamonds) by KobaBeach (Level 3)
Overall thoughts:

I found this level to be rompy and pleasant to play, probably helped by the lovely aesthetics (nice combination of the Yoshi's Island foreground and the rainbow background). While I thought it was nice to play, I think the level is a bit short. Might be worth putting some more distance between jumps, since it's a sky-themed level and you give the player capes as second-tier powerups. This stage would be appropriate for the early game, perhaps towards the end of World 1 or the beginning of World 2 on a traditional overworld.

There were a lot of graphical glitches in this version of the level, though it's probably due to the base ROM still being in an early state. Just for reference, the Buster Beetles and Hammer Bro had the wrong graphics, and the rotating platforms looked glitchy. Also, there were plain (Yellow?) Shell-less Koopas stuck inside several pipes. When I checked an older version of the base ROM, I found out that they were supposed to be Venus Fire Traps, but these also had the incorrect graphics.

Time: 269
Difficulty: 1/5

Detailed comments:

These plain (Yellow?) Shell-less Koopas should be Venus Fire Traps (I checked an older version of this level). Also, the last block that this Buster Beetle throws will always impact the pipe (posing no danger to the player). Maybe move this set of three blocks one or two tiles to the right?

The background clouds below where Demo is standing look a bit messed up. Not sure if it's supposed to look like that?

You can fly above the screen with the cape and land inside the Octobro's enclosure. If you kill all the Octobros and lose your cape, you can get softlocked here (you can't fly back out or die other than time out).

If you stay near the bottom of the second rotating platform (which is likely to happen), then the second Octobro is not a threat (its projectiles won't spawn on-screen). Same with the third Octobro, if you ride the platforms all the way down.

These throw blocks create cutoff with the ground tiles when they're picked up. This happens near the goal, too.

This is very situational, but one time I killed the first Flying Octobro, and then the second Flying Octobro nearby "teleported" to the first Octobro's platform. I couldn't duplicate this glitch, but I think I've read somewhere that strange things can happen when there are two of these sprites on the same screen at once? Maybe space them out a bit more to prevent this from happening?

Probably not important, but you can fly over the goal, even when Demo is on-screen with the goal tape. I thought that you can only do this when the goal tape is off-screen.
Sorry if anything I mentioned is redundant. I didn't read anyone else's reviews on purpose, because I wanted to test these levels as blind as possible.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Thanks. I might remake Demo Arnie Pie in the Sky Whatever. The Pokonyan background is like. I tried to assemble it as best I could with Roberto Zampari's rip, but I changed where one of the background slots went, thus I had to remap some stuff, most were able to be copied.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Scarfley
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Scarfley »

My level "how eerie, an eerie" is finished now. It is a pretty straightforward ghost house level that focuses on eeries and spices things up a bit with spawning shenanigans and the warp glitch. The level also features parrot coins, a secret exit and a 3-up beet.
Attachments
how eerie, an eerie.zip
(287.88 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
Nao

Post by Nao »

Scarfley wrote: 2 years ago My level "how eerie, an eerie" is finished now. It is a pretty straightforward ghost house level that focuses on eeries and spices things up a bit with spawning shenanigans and the warp glitch. The level also features parrot coins, a secret exit and a 3-up beet.
Good level. For the most part it's relatively easy, but the ending part elevates it to a 3 in difficulty. There are a few issues with sprite palettes and graphics, but I can fix them for you. I see no major issues regarding the design itself, so I'm going to insert the level into the baserom today so it's available for more people to test.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Gonna repost stuff I've tested so far!

baby catnips get tragic concussions by Nao
* Pleasant little stage, I appreciate its abuse of a quirk on SMW's engine, it makes it feel closer to early VIP, 1-3 or JUMP 1. Over all it's a simple puzzle level that isn't too on the easy side apart from you not being able to die outside of time out, but its unconventional nature makes it more of a early to midgame side path deal than anything else. I'm very glad you toned down the last normal route puzzle as it was simply too unwieldy. This one is easier but it's still a bit of a challenge. Roughly a 2 in difficulty.
NO POWERUPS, ONLY TREES by Nao
* Again, very pleasant, this time feeling more like late VIP, namely 6. The use of powerup filters as a central gimmick is extremely creative and something I haven't really seen much of. Kudos. The difficulty is a smidge harder though not by too much aside from some gotcha traps which, people could find annoying but I wholeheartedly welcome and ask for more. The setups are very well made and I only wish I could be this creative. I can detect some people getting mad at this level but I say, good. I'm glad. I'd place it in the very midgame, roughly a 3 in difficulty.
The Beginning of Spring by 4season
* Devious little level... Absolute nasty little motherfucker. First of, I'm definitely giving this a 4 on difficulty. Biggest problem with this stage? Powerup starvation. Other than that and a bit of Pitchin' Chuck and (homing) Volcano Lotus spam? It's really not that bad. I did die a lot, but like. Good levels are supposed to make you die a lot, or at the very least have good vibes if they're not challenging.

* At the end of the day it feels a bit... A2MT-esque which you do seem to be somewhat of a newbie in SMW so I don't blame you for making a jankier level like this. Though it's far, faaaar from the amount of stank associated with A2MT, like have you seen THUMP and Wrathful Romp? This would be in the outer circle compared to those.

* Either way, it could use a few level design adjustments, but I'm also not opposed to including this as is and shoving it straight into World 7 of 8? Like VIP has done lategame grasslands before, the precedent is there. I'd definitely spruce up the level a bit to remove some graphical issues, I noticed a ceiling that didn't extend fully to the top as such, as well as tone down the volume of the MMX port, jesus christ. It's also not very fitting but I don't want to mess with the integrity of your stage. In a way it adds to the charm. Pretty much, 👍.
The Feeling of Freshman by 4season
* Much simpler stage, I appreciate the focus on a certain sprite (Chasing Rex), though the setups aren't really much to write home about. Nonetheless it's a fine level and I can imagine it being in like World 2 or 3. Graphic choice is also good. Difficulty would be around 2 or 3.
I also tested James Turner (man that sounds awkward said out loud) but I'll give it another look through later when I'm not as tired or busy with RPGs, now that it has been updated
Image Image
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

Nao wrote: 2 years ago There are a few issues with sprite palettes and graphics, but I can fix them for you. I see no major issues regarding the design itself, so I'm going to insert the level into the baserom today so it's available for more people to test.
That would be much appreciated!
Thank you! :D
Nao

Post by Nao »

Scarfley wrote: 2 years ago
Nao wrote: 2 years ago There are a few issues with sprite palettes and graphics, but I can fix them for you. I see no major issues regarding the design itself, so I'm going to insert the level into the baserom today so it's available for more people to test.
That would be much appreciated!
Thank you! :D
Done. Besides fixing palettes, I replaced the green gas bubble with the vanilla one for now, since it apparently has not been redrawn for A2MT. We might get graphics for it at some point.
I gotta ask, would you maybe like custom music in your level? The level looks really vanilla and all but adding suitable custom music would still fit the vibe better imo.
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

Nao wrote: 2 years ago I gotta ask, would you maybe like custom music in your level? The level looks really vanilla and all but adding suitable custom music would still fit the vibe better imo.
I originally wanted to use the "Another Mansion Theme/A2MT Mansion Theme #2" by Chrom1um/rewitkin and ported by Wyatt but I couldn't find the port so I went with the default ghost house theme instead. I would prefer custom music as well though.
Nao

Post by Nao »

Scarfley wrote: 2 years ago
Nao wrote: 2 years ago I gotta ask, would you maybe like custom music in your level? The level looks really vanilla and all but adding suitable custom music would still fit the vibe better imo.
I originally wanted to use the "Another Mansion Theme/A2MT Mansion Theme #2" by Chrom1um/rewitkin and ported by Wyatt but I couldn't find the port so I went with the default ghost house theme instead. I would prefer custom music as well though.
We found the port (thanks Maks), gonna try to convert it to AMK later and see if we can use it.
EDIT: Done, it's inserted now.
Last edited by Nao 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i want to remake demo in the sky but i can't think of any central gimmick ;__________________________________; (hidamari sketch face)

i played brutal mario and vip but nuthin...

i want to coad something......... in assm.... to practice for bosses ;; :mgmn7: :toaster: :sanaeko: :mishi: nyoro~n :slow: :x :x :x
Image Image
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

Nao wrote: 2 years ago We found the port (thanks Maks), gonna try to convert it to AMK later and see if we can use it.
EDIT: Done, it's inserted now.
That's amazing!
Thank you so much!!! :pal:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Here goes nothing:
* fish dude from wl4 exists to keep demo on her toes as she walks through donut blocks and whatnot
* count bomb functions like switch platforms in yi (i know there are 8x8 ones on smwc but i wanna code something)
* pelican dumps stuff on demo, probably a bomb or something?
* rygel (red robot) dumps a sumo thunder
* fan was there pre-plotting please ignore it ;x;

Level idea I have is focused on the Count Bomb and Donut blocks, similar to the world 3 castle in VIP5. Filler screen with Furbas and Goopas. Introduction of the Fish Dude and Donut Blocks. A few screens of Donut blocks, a few enemies, fish dudes and pelicans, above a safe zone. Filler screen with a feather. Similar to before but without the safe zone. Transition to new level, feather. Introduction of Rygel, he flies about a la Kamek from YI but dumping lightning in front of Demo's course. Beginning with simple layouts, moving on to the introduction of Pelicans and Fish Dudes. Transition to new level. Boss fight, Rygel circles about and you have to use respawning Donut Blocks to bonk Rygel 3 times on the head while dodging his lightning projectiles.

hope this seems alright nyoro~n
Image Image
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago i want to remake demo in the sky but i can't think of any central gimmick ;__________________________________; (hidamari sketch face)
I don't think it really matters if there's a central gimmick or not. As long as most of us are happy with what someone made, it should be fine.

I'm hesitant to suggest any level design ideas because it's more fun to see what everyone can come up with on their own. But I did like the part of your "Demo in the Sky" level where you're riding on the rotating platforms and dodging projectiles from above. Maybe that's something you can build around. I don't think rotating platforms are commonly used anyway? With the sky theme and the pretty background, I think the level is just begging to have an open plan and without any ceilings, too.
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Level idea I have is focused on the Count Bomb and Donut blocks, similar to the world 3 castle in VIP5. Filler screen with Furbas and Goopas. Introduction of the Fish Dude and Donut Blocks. A few screens of Donut blocks, a few enemies, fish dudes and pelicans, above a safe zone. Filler screen with a feather. Similar to before but without the safe zone. Transition to new level, feather. Introduction of Rygel, he flies about a la Kamek from YI but dumping lightning in front of Demo's course. Beginning with simple layouts, moving on to the introduction of Pelicans and Fish Dudes. Transition to new level. Boss fight, Rygel circles about and you have to use respawning Donut Blocks to bonk Rygel 3 times on the head while dodging his lightning projectiles.
Would this be meant for your second level, or your remake of "Demo in the Sky"? I'll have to wait and see something more tangible first, but the custom boss idea sounds good!
Nao wrote: 2 years ago Done. Besides fixing palettes, I replaced the green gas bubble with the vanilla one for now, since it apparently has not been redrawn for A2MT. We might get graphics for it at some point.
I gotta ask, would you maybe like custom music in your level? The level looks really vanilla and all but adding suitable custom music would still fit the vibe better imo.
So this is not the intended graphics replacement for the Green Bubble after all?

----------

Here are more level reviews! From now on I'll try to do these as levels are submitted, and go back to the older ones in the interim.

how eerie, an eerie by Scarfley (Level 21) (via this base ROM version)
Overall thoughts:

This is a pretty straightforward level in terms of design, mainly focused on dodging clusters of Eeries in various ways. I liked that you have to double back to respawn Eeries in order to hitch a ride to solve various optional puzzles. But because what you have to do is fairly well-telegraphed, I didn't really find much of the level to be difficult. However, the final few screens are a lot trickier, because dodging enemies with the "fake" wraparound feels a bit unnatural. It's hard to avoid damage when there's more than one enemy on-screen, especially if they're both passing underneath you at the same time. Lining the entire top of the screen with the green springy platforms would make this part a whole lot easier, because you would no longer have to worry about falling into a pit. But perhaps it would make it too easy, then? Because of this last part, I would bump up the difficulty to a 2/5. I would personally fit this level around the middle of this collab's equivalent of World 2.

One minor palette issue I found is with the Boo Laser. The Boo that sticks out its tongue has it colored black instead of red. It's correct for the Boo Ring.

Also, it's refreshing to finally have another level with the key placed right next to the keyhole. People don't really seem to do that any more.

Time: 500
Difficulty: 2/5

Detailed comments:

None! Nothing specific to point out.
THE OBSTACLE by EllenHouraisan (Level 22) (via this patch)
Overall thoughts:

A nice little romp for the first half of the level, with slightly more challenging platforming in the second half due to having a relatively low ceiling and being forced to deal more directly with enemies. I would place this squarely in World 1, preferably before the Yellow Switch Palace is encountered, because of the nature of the joke. By the way, who's that speaking to Demo anyway, haha.

I'm assuming that this level will filter outside powerups? If you bring in a cape from another level, there's enough room at the start to build up P-speed and fly over the first "obstacle". At the midpoint, the player can fly over the second, much taller "obstacle" and reach the end of the level.

There were also some graphical issues with the Jumping Piranha Plants and the Flying Octobro, and priority issues with the Bullet Bills inside the cave (they go in front of the larger blocks, but behind the smaller blocks), but they're not your fault.

Time: 300
Difficulty: 1/5

Detailed comments:

As mentioned before, if you bring in a cape from outside, you can fly over both the first and second obstacles, breaking the level. These skips don't seem to be intentional?

You can get crushed by the Flying Octobro's platform here, so you might want to move those blocks a bit more to the right. I don't know if there's a patch to fix this.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

PSI Ninja wrote: 2 years ago By the way, who's that speaking to Demo anyway, haha.
We'll find out once I get the clear to start discussing story stuffs. :P

Thanks for the feedback, by the way.~
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Nao

Post by Nao »

PSI Ninja wrote: 2 years ago Image
So this is not the intended graphics replacement for the Green Bubble after all?
No, it's just a big boo that got very sick so it turned green and its face disappeared.
PSI Ninja wrote: 2 years ago One minor palette issue I found is with the Boo Laser. The Boo that sticks out its tongue has it colored black instead of red. It's correct for the Boo Ring.
Thanks for noticing this, it's an issue with the global palette.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 2 years ago Would this be meant for your second level, or your remake of "Demo in the Sky"? I'll have to wait and see something more tangible first, but the custom boss idea sounds good!
Remake. I'm gonna start coding right now!
Image Image
Nao

Post by Nao »

There are a couple levels in the baserom that haven't been tested by many people, it would be nice if someone could, namely:

Warning! It's a Red Radish Morning (level 11)
Demo in thornbush scrumble (level 15) [known issue: needs remove status bar uberasm]
THE SANBO WOODS (level 1B)
James Turner (temp name, may keep it) (level 103)
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

our level has officially been inserted! (level id 17) :o
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Did some testing, here's some thoughts:

Demo in thornbush scrumble:
Difficulty is very midgame-y, which I feel is appropriate for a DKC style bramble level in SMW. No setups that require too much out of the player, and it does some neat things, like the one time you gotta shoot backwards to get to a different barrel. The parts where you're on land don't have much to them, though. Charlies can be easily skipped or killed with a shell, and there's usually plenty of space to deal with the goopas, meaning they are never a tangible threat. I don't think it's a huge deal, since they are clearly just meant to break the barrel segments, but it's something to keep in mind. I did like the usage of the banana octopuses, though.

The one big criticism I have is that the secret exit doesn't amount to much. It's very easy to find and very easy to get to, so it feels a tad bit pointless. I'd recommend tinkering with that setup a bit so that it's either a bit trickier to find or harder to reach. It doesn't need to be a huge extra challenge, but just something a bit more complex than "shoot towards the coins". Regardless, I do appreciate the 1-up midpoint so that there's no need to redo the first half after.

Also, I feel the final section with the goal could use vanilla music to match the aesthetic. Feels kinda weird with the bramble music still going.
matcha ampersand avocado:
Finally an easy level! At the rate this is going, the hack's gonna have 1 regular world and everything else will be postgame. XD

Anyways, this is one of those atmospheric levels that very much appeals to me. Really dig the chill vibe it's got, with the muted palette and the nice music. It all makes for a very pleasant experience. As far as the gameplay goes, it's easy like I said, but I still died a few times, so it's also not free. Don't think I'd have anything to add on that front, it was just a very nice level to play through!

That said, I do have two issues: one is the turn block canopy hole issue that Nao mentioned in their Discord feedback, which kinda breaks the immersion a little bit. Since apparently fixing the weird hole would require messing with layer 2 and stuff, I'd personally move those blocks or remove them altogether. More pressing, though, is that the invisible blocks above the flowers (screen F) can cause a kaizo death if you're unprepared, which happened to me. It was very silly, admitedly, but I'd suggest removing the first block or moving them all a bit to the right so that it's less likely to happen.
James Turner (temp name, may keep it):
Back to hard levels! This one isn't the hardest I've played, and it's not too long, so that's helpful. And so is the plentitude of powerups, especially capes. I like the rather heroic vibe with the music and sky setting. The setups are interesting and fun for the most part, though the use of the bullet generator does add a degree of RNG. For the most part it's not too grating, but I dislike how it persists during the portion immediatelly after the midpoint. Those bounce block jumps are already hard enough, and I found myself losing the powerups to the bullets more often than not before even reaching the checkered platform. Maybe consider turning the generator off there and using placed bullets for the next line section? Or perhaps lower the pipes a bit to make the jumps less deadly.

Few other issues: 1- I have no idea how you reliably get the fourth parrot coin without getting hit. I've only managed to do it twice, and one of them was a complete fluke of small Demo somehow squeezing through four bullets and the saw. 2- The powerup block on screen 14 is more of a liability than anything with the way it's placed. Don't know if it's intentional or not, but it just makes the jump harder to do and the powerup will most likely fall in the pit. It's also strangely close to the end of the level for some reason. 3- I don't know how it happened or how to fix it, but one of the fence goopas on screen 09 escaped the fence and was climbing the air right on top of the lineguide. Probably not a big deal, since it didn't affect the platforming much and only happened exactly once for me, but... I dunno, I thought it was amusing, at the very least.
Goopa.png
Goopa.png (306.3 KiB) Viewed 7410 times
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 2 years ago matcha ampersand avocado:
Finally an easy level! At the rate this is going, the hack's gonna have 1 regular world and everything else will be postgame. XD

Anyways, this is one of those atmospheric levels that very much appeals to me. Really dig the chill vibe it's got, with the muted palette and the nice music. It all makes for a very pleasant experience. As far as the gameplay goes, it's easy like I said, but I still died a few times, so it's also not free. Don't think I'd have anything to add on that front, it was just a very nice level to play through!

That said, I do have two issues: one is the turn block canopy hole issue that Nao mentioned in their Discord feedback, which kinda breaks the immersion a little bit. Since apparently fixing the weird hole would require messing with layer 2 and stuff, I'd personally move those blocks or remove them altogether. More pressing, though, is that the invisible blocks above the flowers (screen F) can cause a kaizo death if you're unprepared, which happened to me. It was very silly, admitedly, but I'd suggest removing the first block or moving them all a bit to the right so that it's less likely to happen.
tbh we Have thought abt making more levels bc we found making this level very therapeutic & it is looking a bit like if we did that... man we'd be like the main people behind the earlygame oops :aliceko: (any1 wanna join us in making easy levels maybe? so that it isn't just lonely to do that all on our lonesome) :o

as for the aforementioned two things:
turn block hole: we dunno, we kinda enjoy the jank it poses? maybe it's just bc we think it looks a little neat, even if it is kinda jank. we may try and shift the layout a bit, but no promises.

blocks & flowers: we didn't even Think the invisible blocks could do that! we may actually at least make 1 block visible so you are more inclined to be careful, keeping the puzzle element of the "there's more blocks there" but also making it so like, you don't maybe accidentally bonk yourself
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago tbh we Have thought abt making more levels bc we found making this level very therapeutic & it is looking a bit like if we did that... man we'd be like the main people behind the earlygame oops :aliceko: (any1 wanna join us in making easy levels maybe? so that it isn't just lonely to do that all on our lonesome) :o
My sky stage isn't too hard I think? I'm not gonna remake it anymore, too much effort.

Continued my second stage, Siege on Castle Wolfenstein.
Download

It's not inserted yet tho, still to be finished.
Music is by sincx (Swordcraft Story boss), graphics might be from an old VIPPER or SMWC member, I got them from VIP3 and VIP5 (YI and SMB3 castle tileset).
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago (any1 wanna join us in making easy levels maybe? so that it isn't just lonely to do that all on our lonesome) :o
Never fear, if I ever finish the level I'm working on, it will definitely be an early game level haha. Though I think it may be a little too easy the way it is now, though we'll see when I finish it. I do want to at least make one more level after this one, but who knows how long that'll take me.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago(any1 wanna join us in making easy levels maybe? so that it isn't just lonely to do that all on our lonesome) :o
don't worry I'm working on an easy-ish level right now
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB