Fungus Forest Flow.zip
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 35 times
Jongseok

Re: Level testing and discussion

Post by Jongseok »

Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago Fungus Forest Flow

I finished another level :)
This one has a secret exit.
Your level can be cheesed like this video. I think you should set bottomless pit code to prevent players from going down.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Scarfley
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Scarfley »

Jongseok wrote: 1 year ago
Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago Fungus Forest Flow

I finished another level :)
This one has a secret exit.
Your level can be cheesed like this video. I think you should set bottomless pit code to prevent players from going down.
Thank you for pointing this out!
I somehow completely forgot that you can do this in SMW while making the level. :mgmn:
I will try to fix the problem with the bottomless pit code you suggested later this week :)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I hope it's okay I haven't worked on this a bit. Messing about with RPG Maker a bit is distracting me too much ;_; Burst of nostalgia, I'm even infecting YK and his friends with it. Need to work on learning the ropes and figuring out how to CMS, CBS, Scripting+Plugins... And mess around to break the engines into doing complex non DQ style RPG stuff as a joke too.

SAJ mentioned some stuff in the discordt:
SAJewers — 07/11/2022
Why does Sui Glide have one of those 1up fake checkpoint thingies when the baserom has a multimidpoints patch?

SAJewers — 07/11/2022
also while i'm at it, a reminder for someone to fix the center scrolling patch or whatever being used

SAJewers — 07/11/2022
and ticking p-switch needs implementing

SAJewers — 07/11/2022
bug: in the wheat level, i hit the p=switch and entered the pipe, and got softlocked to a black screen
I don't feel like replacing all 1up checkpoints with multi midway is important, they have their own gimmicky charm, but I do worry about the Wheat Valley problem. I'll test this later, and see if I can finagle putting it in a vanilla game to test it (the wonders of Lunar Helper and Lunar Monitor <3).

SAJ also mentioned a ticking p-switch from ASMT, and I'd like to insert that just to jack raocow's dick off, but I don't have much expertise in SPC700 coding. I can read the code more or less, but I'm not 100% sure what Kil patched into the Addmusic 4(?) code to get it to do the sound effect thing. It was 65c816 but if someone can help guide me, maybe as I read the fixed ASMT's code on Shex and bsnes-plus and the like, I'd appreciate it.

As an aside to the Multi Midway thing, I'm willing to add Multi Midways after the fact if a user requests it, but again I don't exactly feel like replacing 1up checkpoints unless the author wants that. They're cute.

That should be all that's "needed" as Lord Ruby's working on retry, on and off.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago I will try to fix the problem with the bottomless pit code you suggested later this week :)
Alright! I fixed it and made some changes to the level design as well. Let me know if there are any other problems!

Edit: Forgot to apply the bottomless pit code to level 51 as well. Now it's fixed for real (hopefully).
Attachments
Fungus Forest Flow (V3).zip
(1.3 MiB) Downloaded 40 times
SMCslevelengine
eh

Post by SMCslevelengine »

I may have overdone it a little with this level; let's just say I have had this reputation for making stupidly hard levels for about a decade and would like to truly live up to it:

To be honest, a full blown kaizo level would benefit greatly from the retry patch but from the tinkering I've done this weekend, I've noticed it can't be inserted alongside the current multi midway patch already in the baserom, and I see it being too much to ask to reconfigure a bunch of midways for the sake of one level.

Before doing anything else with Basil II minus sending it + the resources used over, I have to get everyone else's reactions.
more often known as levelengine
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

no offense but i don't want levels like this in this hack. difficulty arms races are stupid
Image Image
SMCslevelengine
eh

okay

honestly finishing and perfecting this level before end of year would have been a pain in the ass

planning to start making something else instead that the average person can stand a chance at
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

use it for like one of your own hacks honestly. i just don't want insane high difficulty stages in a super sex thing. it doesn't really fit to have kaizo expert and standard easy in the same collab hack, you're appealing to two different audiences. kaizo folk would have to trudge through a lot of standard slog, and standard people would be locked from 100%ing the game until they got gud.

if it's someone's design decision for their own solo or friend circle hack then Okay Go Off

------------------------

sorry i've been away for the past day, i was making a list of rpgs i wanna play, organized by company, and i accidentally wore myself out doing so (i was also up since 5 am yesterday and fell asleep around 3 pm). kept neglecting to finish my coffee and drink the liquid yoghurt i got from the fridge lmao. woke up at midnight
Image Image
Bobob
Pronouns: u choose :)

Post by Bobob »

JUMP does that. It has laughably easy stuff and really hard kaizo. So why couldn’t it be the case for a3mt? Also you seem to forget that there are people who enjoy both standard and kaizo.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Bobob wrote: 1 year ago JUMP does that. It has laughably easy stuff and really hard kaizo. So why couldn’t it be the case for a3mt? Also you seem to forget that there are people who enjoy both standard and kaizo.
because while i enjoy both standard and kaizo, most people on here don't, raocow included, even if i'm not making this game for him
Image Image
Bobob
Pronouns: u choose :)

Post by Bobob »

Fair, Fair. I guess I am just a bit sad that lvlengine’s création did not make the cut as it hyped me quite a bit to see something of this caliber being in the game
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

>2022
>caring about quality

Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Good afternoon bitches

Deadline for pre-Bowser's Castle is March 29th, 2023
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

throwing this out there, but no one has claimed the green switch palace yet
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago throwing this out there, but no one has claimed the green switch palace yet
It has been claimed now :catplanet2:
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

Greenhouse Gambling

The green switch palace is done. The level is mostly focused on

how spinjumping with a fireflower/cactus automatically shoots fireballs and the glitchy behaviour of the bonus area blocks

Edit: Fixed some oversights.
Edit2: Forgot to put a reserve item filter at the midpoint. :ehh:
Attachments
Greenhouse Gambling (V3).zip
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 36 times
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago Greenhouse Gambling

The green switch palace is done. The level is mostly focused on

how spinjumping with a fireflower/cactus automatically shoots fireballs and the glitchy behaviour of the bonus area blocks

Edit: Fixed some oversights.
Edit2: Forgot to put a reserve item filter at the midpoint. :ehh:
ok, a small kinda bonus stage. This is my blind playthrough video.

2 things I can tell:
1. The arrow sign's stick palette is off (and also radish's stem pal). The sign should be like this.
arrow_sign.png
arrow_sign.png (955 Bytes) Viewed 1678 times
incorrect.png
incorrect.png (144.33 KiB) Viewed 1678 times
The pressed switch graphic should be changed. I think you should put a switch in the sublevel or modify a graphic file.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Jongseok wrote: 1 year ago 2 things I can tell:
1. The arrow sign's stick palette is off (and also radish's stem pal). The sign should be like this. arrow_sign.png
2. incorrect.png The pressed switch graphic should be changed. I think you should put a switch in the sublevel or modify a graphic file.
This is fine I can fix it myself. I've gotten used to fixing the palettes for most stages, kudos to Nao for making the global pal file.
Image Image
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

from first viewing:

i think the level starts to lose focus once you introduce the weird bonus gamble blocks. and they feel janky in a bad way to be honest, speaking as someone with basically no smw experience at all
feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt but that is how i feel from watching jongseok's video
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

Jongseok wrote: 1 year ago ok, a small kinda bonus stage. This is my blind playthrough video.
Thank you for your playthrough video and the feedback :)
At one point the spinjump got cancelled by touching a wall in your video. This happened a few times to me too while testing the level. Not sure what to do about it though.
Jongseok wrote: 1 year ago 1. The arrow sign's stick palette is off (and also radish's stem pal). The sign should be like this. arrow_sign.png
The palette problems always occur in-game whenever I make a custom palette. I'm probably overlooking something obvious. nyoro~n
Jongseok wrote: 1 year ago 2. incorrect.png The pressed switch graphic should be changed. I think you should put a switch in the sublevel or modify a graphic file.
Alright, I put the switch in its own sublevel.
tangy wrote: 1 year ago from first viewing:

i think the level starts to lose focus once you introduce the weird bonus gamble blocks. and they feel janky in a bad way to be honest, speaking as someone with basically no smw experience at all
feel free to take my opinion with a grain of salt but that is how i feel from watching jongseok's video
Thank you for your feedback as well! :)
Yeah, that's fair. They definitely don't feel especially good to use but I personally don't think that the gamble blocks make for that bad of an experience either though (At least I hope so). There aren't a lot of setups involving them and the rooms are extremely short so redoing them shouldn't waste too much time. My hope was that using them as level setups would be interesting enough to put up with their jankiness for a little while. :mgmn:
I decided to leave them in for now.

In addition to giving the switch its own sublevel I also modified some setups in the level. So here's a new version:
Attachments
Greenhouse Gambling (V4).zip
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
SMCslevelengine
eh

here's another level that's ready to be tested by others:
sweet_paradise.zip
(1.09 MiB) Downloaded 46 times
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

I updated two of my levels (Level 101 and Level 117). I only included the files that have been added/changed.

Update Info:
Level 101:
- Added a message box at the beginning of the level that says that the love frogs have homing projectiles as suggested by Jongseok

Level 117:
- Added a reserve item filter and a small demo filter at the beginning of the level since playing the level with powerups makes it more difficult in certain spots
- Changed a row of light switches near the end of the level to cement blocks to prevent players from accidentally sticking to them while trying to jump above them
- Added a light switch to one setup since having only two light switches is too unreliable
Unfortunately, there are some things that I couldn't or didn't know how to fix, so I listed those things here:
Level 101:
- L/R scrolling should be disabled for the entirety of this level since scrolling the screen when dealing with the falling spikes causes them to fall too soon which breaks all of the setups involving them in the second half of the level
- The candles in the background are displayed in front of sprites
- The graphics in the Ludwig boss battle are glitchy

Level 117:
- Yoshi should probably be disallowed in this level
- Pausing the game while the music is playing faster due to low time, then unpausing and going through a pipe slows the music down to normal speed in the next area (This might be a global problem with other levels as well though)

Level 11E:
- It is still possible to skip huge parts of the level by swimming underneath them in the current baserom version. The bottomless pit code should be applied to levels 11E and 51

Sorry that I'm not a huge help when it comes to fixing these things :ehh:
I probably won't make any more levels for this project since I have a lot of things to do in real-life the next few months and kind of don't feel like making levels right now. I might test and give feedback to the levels others have made though if I have the time and I'm motivated to do so. :pal:
Thank you everyone for the feedback and Koba and Nao for fixing the graphical issues in my levels. :catplanet2:
Attachments
AAT - level updates.zip
(1.36 MiB) Downloaded 41 times
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago
Level 101:
- L/R scrolling should be disabled for the entirety of this level since scrolling the screen when dealing with the falling spikes causes them to fall too soon which breaks all of the setups involving them in the second half of the level
- The candles in the background are displayed in front of sprites
- The graphics in the Ludwig boss battle are glitchy

Level 117:
- Yoshi should probably be disallowed in this level
- Pausing the game while the music is playing faster due to low time, then unpausing and going through a pipe slows the music down to normal speed in the next area (This might be a global problem with other levels as well though)

Level 11E:
- It is still possible to skip huge parts of the level by swimming underneath them in the current baserom version. The bottomless pit code should be applied to levels 11E and 51

Sorry that I'm not a huge help when it comes to fixing these things :ehh:
If you want to disallow yoshi in 117, go to the "Change Other Properties" menu (beside Lakitu in the toolbar), and unchceck the last option there.

As for 11E, you're talking about this UberASM right?
You should be able to add it yourself and submit an update yourself (throw the asm file in the uberasm/level folder and add it to uberasm/list.txt). Regardless, I've added it to the todo list since you don't really need to go through all that
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago As for 11E, you're talking about this UberASM right?
You should be able to add it yourself and submit an update yourself (throw the asm file in the uberasm/level folder and add it to uberasm/list.txt).
Thank you, here is the update. I hope this works now. :aliceko:
SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago If you want to disallow yoshi in 117, go to the "Change Other Properties" menu (beside Lakitu in the toolbar), and unchceck the last option there.
This option is already unchecked though. :mgmn:
Attachments
AAT - level updates (V2).zip
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 33 times