(shouting)

Level testing and discussion

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Level testing and discussion

Post by SAJewers »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
  • Insert levels 129, 131 and update 135 and 15 (maybe insert unfinished levels for ease of testing too)
sorry I haven't been keeping up on what levels have been posted/submitted/updated on there, the full list of levels that have been posted that I can find since Dec 16 are:
  • 133 (Idiom Factory II)
  • 125 (Purkinje Ruins)
  • 118 (Hot Glue Garbage)
  • 15 (Demo in thornbush scrumble)
  • 129 (Super Easy Going)
  • 131 (Killy Killer Vocano)
  • 10C (yeah! get down! ONE MORE TIME!)
  • 137 (Rift Collapse)
  • E (Moon Palace)
  • 6 (Thwompire State Building)
  • 19 ("Fishing Grounds)
  • 122 (Life Goes On)
(also a version of the Intro level was posted that I'm currently done with)

As for the rest of the todo list, the PUNT RETURN music was made using SPCtoMML, but I'm bad at it and didn't get it to loop; the original spc is in discord now. Porting A2XT1 Iris might be a tad tricky since A2XT1 Iris is taller than Demo because Luigi hitbox reasons.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

okay so today i did like. all of this with a bit of sleeping in between because Oops my circadian rhythm
  • Applied 133, 15, 137, E, 6, 19, 122, 135, Jumpers are all Whiners [sic] (need to double check these)
  • fixed punt return's music
  • spc2mml'd the treasure hunter g port, and started work on the bonk's revenge port through a midi extracted by pce2mid (bless u SAJ)
  • Feather Freeze Patch is in, Separate Luigi Graphics and Separate Luigi Death Noise is ready to go
  • TPiR horn port is ready to go, A2MT death and game over music is in
  • VWF Cutscene shit is in the baserom folder, I'll probably handle the python wrangling myself
  • Sprite CA is inserted
  • IRIS START!
  • bonus music rng routine because lol
i also ripped the squaresoft jingle from live a live for a romhack i may or may not finish.

Edit: oooohooohoo guess who just found a silver will midi in a shady chinese website heehee i love being a silly little jokester
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Iris inclusion has started yesterday y'all! #tupaclives

I'm mostly including and frankenspriting Ittababy's A2XT1 edits, being careful to ignore everything done by Shitfart (to not use his actual name since I'm sure he googles it), and using the A2XT2 Fire Iris palette due to him also being behind the "vomit yellow" (Hoeloe's words) tone of A2XT1. Either way I wanted purple Iris as the fire palette so win-win.

I'm gonna make a small global uberasm? That changes the yellows in palette row 8 (used by the cape, maybe the sandcastles) to Iris' purple so her eye is properly colored as well, as loading up Luigi and Mario, respectively, only changes the last few colors (Demo's blues to Iris' purple/green). I haven't gotten it to function properly, but I'll figure it out when I can, granted someone can help me as well if I need it.

Rixi originally wanted to make a :retreauxiris: fullset (they confused my "collective you" with me referring to them specifically when I said I want a replacement if this Iris was a no go, since I don't know if Chaoxys' Iris would work), and I'm still open to using that in an eventual sequel so eh. They can take their time, since they're pretty busy as is.

Hoeloe also mentioned that she dislikes the original washed out graphics of the og A_XTs so, if it looks better I may also give AAT Iris a dash of color too.

Gonna rest for today, maybe play some Tales of Destiny 2 (not eternia) or smth.
Image Image
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year agoI'm gonna make a small global uberasm? That changes the yellows in palette row 8 (used by the cape, maybe the sandcastles) to Iris' purple so her eye is properly colored as well, as loading up Luigi and Mario, respectively, only changes the last few colors (Demo's blues to Iris' purple/green). I haven't gotten it to function properly, but I'll figure it out when I can, granted someone can help me as well if I need it.
I think I use some of those colors in my sprite UI. But as long as you preserve the number of shades and their positions for the iris (the eye part) it should just make for a cool effect where the UI adapts to the character you're playing.
a
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Lord Ruby wrote: 1 year ago I think I use some of those colors in my sprite UI. But as long as you preserve the number of shades and their positions for the iris (the eye part) it should just make for a cool effect where the UI adapts to the character you're playing.
i absolutely am, because otherwise the cape would look like ship
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago Hoeloe also mentioned that she dislikes the original washed out graphics of the og A_XTs so, if it looks better I may also give AAT Iris a dash of color too.
If you grab the ASMT Fire Iris palette, that might work as a good base, as it uses much more vibrant greens than smbx Iris
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-02-02 080455.png
Screenshot 2023-02-02 080455.png (22.65 KiB) Viewed 2287 times
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago If you grab the ASMT Fire Iris palette, that might work as a good base, as it uses much more vibrant greens than smbx Iris
i might.......... 😳

Thanks for grabbing the screenshot, I can just copypaste them off here and into Lunar Fuckgic, this way
fuckgic reminds me of that one favic stalker dude from circa 2009 era sheezyart (rest in penis sheezyart)

...oh wonchop didn't upload or removed his upload of the flash animation memeing on favic. honestly perfectly understandable
Image Image
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I finished repurposing my VLDC13 level, Lady Crithania, for the collab. Needs a "No Yoshi" filter. https://psininja.talkhaus.com/smw/AAT_2 ... el_11C.zip

I'm aware that the port of the music in Level 5E is crappy. I used SPCtoMML to convert the SPC, but apparently it can't always reproduce the track well? I don't have the energy right now to fix the port (and make it loop), so that's a todo for another day.

For some reason, the Blue Switch Palace seems to be working again as of the January 26th base ROM, so I'll finish that off next. Then after that, title screen business.
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago Iris inclusion has started yesterday y'all! #tupaclives
Now I'll need to recode Levels 121 and 122 to account for when the player is Iris /j
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago Iris inclusion has started yesterday y'all! #tupaclives
Now I'll need to recode Levels 121 and 122 to account for when the player is Iris /j
late but keep them as is. it's funnier that way (i'm assuming it's the baba and life goes on stages)
Image Image
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

I finally finished revising the Blue Switch Palace. A .bps file is included for quick level testing: https://psininja.talkhaus.com/smw/AAT_2 ... 11_121.zip

This level is causing me burnout. Making good puzzles is hard. I don't know how people do it.

I also completed a new "coffee break" stage. It's right under the Blue Switch in the patch. Screenshot below.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

ladies and gentlement [sic] i have the flu

would you go 2 a tim hortones
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago
I also completed a new "coffee break" stage. It's right under the Blue Switch in the patch. Screenshot below.
Love it.

edit: also note while testing 11c you need a yoshi filter
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago This level is causing me burnout. Making good puzzles is hard. I don't know how people do it.
Extremely late on this but I also don't know how puzzles work. I see beyrevia's magnum dong Maze Castle stages in the VIPs and I'm just like nyoro~n because i will never be able to do that. His DKC stages are also neat but I'd probably TRY TO not make something as jank as Stickerbush
SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago edit: also note while testing 11c you need a yoshi filter
Thanks u
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

okay i can't post on or open discord rn but
Skye wrote:ping
a2mt's shitty title screen's feet look like they're drawn by a literal 6 year old. they are not detailed, you're just being a pussy

anyway don't give demo and iris tits and toes thank yoi
Image Image
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago Extremely late on this but I also don't know how puzzles work. I see beyrevia's magnum dong Maze Castle stages in the VIPs and I'm just like nyoro~n because i will never be able to do that. His DKC stages are also neat but I'd probably TRY TO not make something as jank as Stickerbush

This video dropped while I was finishing up my level. Basically, part of his strategy for designing puzzles was to work backwards from the "thing" he wanted the player to figure out. This is mostly what I had been doing, but I just feel like I got lucky to finish. A lot of the stuff I came up with were accidental discoveries, thanks to the jank of the SMB2 Mushroom Block. I guess the hard part was making sure the puzzle-solving didn't boil down to trivial item babysitting.

Anyway, I hope the flu didn't hit you too hard. Last time I had it, I was in bed for most of the sickness. Please let us know if you'd like additional help in handling the base ROM. I remember that Nao and Disk Poppy helped out with the base ROM at the beginning of the project, but they don't seem to be available to assist anymore. I'm just worried that things might become too overwhelming for one person, with all of the stuff that's on the todo list (and my levels will probably be annoying to insert, too).
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago Anyway, I hope the flu didn't hit you too hard. Last time I had it, I was in bed for most of the sickness. Please let us know if you'd like additional help in handling the base ROM. I remember that Nao and Disk Poppy helped out with the base ROM at the beginning of the project, but they don't seem to be available to assist anymore. I'm just worried that things might become too overwhelming for one person, with all of the stuff that's on the todo list (and my levels will probably be annoying to insert, too).
An extra set of hands would be fine, but I'm doing okay. Let me know if anyone wants to be added to the repo, we can't have too many helping hands. I'd probably just use Lunar Helper instead of adding to the rom every single time, for fear of breaking the baserom.

I'll try to study this video in my own time.
Image Image
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

:pily: Chunky Pily-sized update today: https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 70#p477170

The following new levels are now in the base ROM:
  • Idiom Factory II by Big Brawler
  • Rift Collapse by Big Brawler
  • Lady Crithania by PSI Ninja
  • Tim Hortons by PSI Ninja
  • yeah! get down! ONE MORE TIME! by Catabo
  • Super Easy Going by 4season
  • Killy Killer Volcano by 4season
  • The Purkinje Tree Ruins by Bumpty
And the following levels have been updated:
  • Thwompire State Building
  • SWITCH IS BLUE
  • PUNT RETURN
  • Moon Palace
  • The Castle of Spirits
  • Hot Glue Garbage
These commits took some time because I ran into some trouble with PIXI's per-level sprites option. Turns out that if you enable it, all custom sprites that are in the B0-BF range are automatically forced to have four extension bytes, which corrupted a bunch of levels. Until this can be sorted out, I disabled the per-level sprite option. For this reason, Silent Flower Forest will need to be inserted another time.

I did some rapid testing of the levels that were newly inserted/updated. Some other issues I found:
  • Sometimes, retrying via the Quick Retry menu will make you lose a filtered Yoshi that's stored on the overworld.
  • Sometimes, the keyhole in yeah! get down! ONE MORE TIME! doesn't work when you have the key. Sprite slot issue?
  • The sound effects in PUNT RETURN sound weird, and don't seem intentional.
  • Level 118 of Hot Glue Garbage had ExGFXC20 assigned to BG1, but that file wasn't provided. I used ExGFXC10 instead.
  • For Level B3 of The Purkinje Tree Ruins, Lunar Magic gives an undefined exit error, but the exit pipe seems to work fine.
  • For some reason, the HP meter graphics in Thwompire State Building are now messed up, but they still function correctly.
This was a lot to insert all at once. Fingers crossed that no major bugs have been introduced.
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago The sound effects in PUNT RETURN sound weird, and don't seem intentional.
The SFX problem can be easily fixed by adding #optimzed in #samples group in spaf-05.txt.
I think Koba-san forgot to add it.
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago These commits took some time because I ran into some trouble with PIXI's per-level sprites option. Turns out that if you enable it, all custom sprites that are in the B0-BF range are automatically forced to have four extension bytes, which corrupted a bunch of levels. Until this can be sorted out, I disabled the per-level sprite option. For this reason, Silent Flower Forest will need to be inserted another time.

I did some rapid testing of the levels that were newly inserted/updated. Some other issues I found:
  • Sometimes, retrying via the Quick Retry menu will make you lose a filtered Yoshi that's stored on the overworld.
  • Sometimes, the keyhole in yeah! get down! ONE MORE TIME! doesn't work when you have the key. Sprite slot issue?
  • The sound effects in PUNT RETURN sound weird, and don't seem intentional.
  • Level 118 of Hot Glue Garbage had ExGFXC20 assigned to BG1, but that file wasn't provided. I used ExGFXC10 instead.
  • For Level B3 of The Purkinje Tree Ruins, Lunar Magic gives an undefined exit error, but the exit pipe seems to work fine.
  • For some reason, the HP meter graphics in Thwompire State Building are now messed up, but they still function correctly.
This was a lot to insert all at once. Fingers crossed that no major bugs have been introduced.
If needbe, you can insert that level with the per-level sprites as global sprites for now, since there are a few open slots in the baserom currently

The punt return music needs #optimized in the list of samples to fix the sounds; it should be this

Code: Select all

#samples
{
	#optimized
	"sample_00.brr"
	"sample_01.brr"
	"sample_02.brr"
	"sample_03.brr"
	"sample_05.brr"
	"sample_04.brr"
	"sample_06.brr"
	"sample_07.brr"
}
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

goddamnit
Image Image
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

The sound effects in PUNT RETURN work now, thanks. Music is my least understood aspect of SMW hacking.

Just pushed a new base ROM update. You can now play the Intro Level and Silent Flower Forest. For the intro, I temporarily added a message box to skip it, so you don't have to beat the whole thing to get to the overworld. For Silent Flower Forest, I changed the two per-level sprites to be global sprites instead. Doing the per-level stuff may not even be necessary in the end, and we can always remove some of the unused sprites to open up some slots.

For what it's worth, Level B3's undefined exit was due to a reset door that was repurposed as decoration. To fix it, I just made it lead back to the start of that sublevel, which won't matter because it's impossible to enter.
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

New base ROM update. See here for details: https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 62#p477262

Most notably, the overworld Dragon Coin icons were added. Here's what I know so far after some cursory testing:
  1. Collecting all 5 Dragon Coins completes the icon, whether or not the level was beaten.
  2. For the completed icon to persist after resetting, the player needs to hard save.
  3. Getting the midpoint saves all Dragon Coins collected in the level up to that point.
  4. Following (3), if the player hard saves and resets the game, the midpoint remains saved, but the collected Dragon Coins will not.
I don't know if the final point is the intended behavior, if there's some kind of conflict with the Individual Dragon Coin Save patch, or if I did something wrong. Note that I didn't test if this works with levels that have the Retry System enabled. Also, I had to make small edits to GFX29 and the overworld palette to accommodate the icon. Hopefully this doesn't mess something else up.

Additionally, Dragon Coin outlines no longer appear after the coin has been collected. I wasn't sure if this was part of the effort to fix the Castle/Ghost House intro bush tiles, so I left it alone.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago I don't know if the final point is the intended behavior, if there's some kind of conflict with the Individual Dragon Coin Save patch, or if I did something wrong. Note that I didn't test if this works with levels that have the Retry System enabled. Also, I had to make small edits to GFX29 and the overworld palette to accommodate the icon. Hopefully this doesn't mess something else up.

Additionally, Dragon Coin outlines no longer appear after the coin has been collected. I wasn't sure if this was part of the effort to fix the Castle/Ghost House intro bush tiles, so I left it alone.
Do the dragon coins still appear after resetting?

Also do the outlines stop appearing only after you've collected them or? I need to look up how JUMP's DC save system works to make sure of it, I'll try to get the recent revision to test it out.
Image Image
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago Do the dragon coins still appear after resetting?

Also do the outlines stop appearing only after you've collected them or? I need to look up how JUMP's DC save system works to make sure of it, I'll try to get the recent revision to test it out.
After testing some of the old base ROMs, it turns out that it wasn't the intended behavior. Dragon Coins that were saved with the midpoint were supposed to remain saved after resetting. I figured out the problem - the SRAM tables weren't setup properly, of which the Retry System has its own version (things are starting to become a tangled web). Will probably push a new base ROM update with this fix sometime tomorrow.

As for the collected Dragon Coin outlines, for some reason, their Map16 outline tiles had been blanked out. I'm planning to add them back in for clarity. However, this would cause glitched graphics in any level that put something other than GFX17 in FG2. Specifically, the outlines are glitched in levels 15, 20, 74, 75, B2, FB, 108, 114, 118, 134, 1CB, 1F7, and 1FD. We may either need to globally remap the outlines to different tiles, or do some surgery on the affected levels (if they have Dragon Coins).

On an unrelated note: If you die after the level music speeds up (timer < 100), then the death music also has the faster tempo, affecting the tempos of all subsequent music. I tried giving tempo immunity to the new death music (md.txt), but it only causes the death music to be silent. No clue what's going on with that.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago As for the collected Dragon Coin outlines, for some reason, their Map16 outline tiles had been blanked out. I'm planning to add them back in for clarity. However, this would cause glitched graphics in any level that put something other than GFX17 in FG2. Specifically, the outlines are glitched in levels 15, 20, 74, 75, B2, FB, 108, 114, 118, 134, 1CB, 1F7, and 1FD. We may either need to globally remap the outlines to different tiles, or do some surgery on the affected levels (if they have Dragon Coins).
I see. If you want to, I can try to find a fix for this myself.
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago On an unrelated note: If you die after the level music speeds up (timer < 100), then the death music also has the faster tempo, affecting the tempos of all subsequent music. I tried giving tempo immunity to the new death music (md.txt), but it only causes the death music to be silent. No clue what's going on with that.
I'll try to fix this myself too, if you want it.
Image Image