Level testing and discussion

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: Level testing and discussion

Post by SAJewers »

Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago This option is already unchecked though. :mgmn:
Right. OK, do this:
  • Click the Red Poison Mushroom and enable GFX Bypass
  • Click the Blue Poison Mushroom and change the FG/BG GFX Header to one of the Castle, Ghost House, or Rope options
That should enable a No-Yoshi intro to ban Yoshi in the level
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Scarfley
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Scarfley »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago Right. OK, do this:
  • Click the Blue Poison Mushroom and change the FG/BG GFX Header to one of the Castle, Ghost House, or Rope options
I might be doing something wrong but while this does enable the No-Yoshi intro, it also results in making the level a glitchy mess for me.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago
SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago Right. OK, do this:
I might be doing something wrong but while this does enable the No-Yoshi intro, it also results in making the level a glitchy mess for me.
This is because the Headers also change some animations, like the Stars in athletic daikon radish levels, as well as tileset dependant tile code like the vanilla conveyors (though making chocolate ones is super simple as long as you stick to non slopes). SMWC does have this little uberasm, I could slot it alongside any you need, but I could try to whip up a quick "fake" No Yoshi intro a la JUMP with simple levelASM to go along with it. Disable input, move Mario to the right, maybe have him look up at the sign for a little touch of cuteness...

I don't want to have him disembark Yoshi due to it possibly removing Yoshi from Mario entirely but I should(?) be able to do the rest. I could also look up and see if there's any subroutine I can jump to that can cause the No Yoshi intro moves to happen.

I'm very rusty wrt ASM, which is why I don't want to do any bosses but I should be able to make a simple automatic sublevel. Moving a stage from one ID to another is also no problem.
SMCslevelengine wrote: 1 year ago here's another level that's ready to be tested by others:
sweet_paradise.zip
my god bro, I-

were SMW enthusiasts always this fast at making levels??? i thought SIG was an isolated case lol

I'll get to uploading this and whatever else is left into the baserom when I get around to it, hopefully in this week or one of the next two like. I'm so sorry, I'm just adding a bunch of games to my Backloggery to try out when I'm bored, either picked by me or by the Fortune Cookie feature. Need to go through more console, computer and PC storefront/download site libraries, trying to diversify my tastes and inform myself of gaming history.
i made a fist of the beast king joke on both altered beast nes and pocket zaurus
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

I made another update to Level 117. I disabled the vertical scroll because if the camera scrolls up at a setup near the end of the level, the setup turns into a blind jump. I also added an enemy that I initially removed because the vertical scroll would pretty much always despawn it.
KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago This is because the Headers also change some animations, like the Stars in athletic daikon radish levels, as well as tileset dependant tile code like the vanilla conveyors (though making chocolate ones is super simple as long as you stick to non slopes). SMWC does have this little uberasm, I could slot it alongside any you need, but I could try to whip up a quick "fake" No Yoshi intro a la JUMP with simple levelASM to go along with it. Disable input, move Mario to the right, maybe have him look up at the sign for a little touch of cuteness...

I don't want to have him disembark Yoshi due to it possibly removing Yoshi from Mario entirely but I should(?) be able to do the rest. I could also look up and see if there's any subroutine I can jump to that can cause the No Yoshi intro moves to happen.
Thank you, that would be much appreciated :)
Just go with whatever you prefer, I'm fine with all of those.

Also, it would be super nice if you could add the No-yoshi intro to Greenhouse Gambling as well if possible. :mgmn:
Attachments
AAT - level updates (V3).zip
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
SMCslevelengine
eh

Post by SMCslevelengine »

did a blind playthrough of Scarfley's most recent level

not much to say on anything that needs to be changed, since none of the puzzles were blatantly unfair

more often known as levelengine
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Updated Level 6 (Thwompire State Building). You may want to farm some lives first in the multicolor switch level. https://psininja.talkhaus.com/smw/AAT_2 ... evel_6.zip

The main thing is that it now has Simple HP with Primitive Retry. Should avoid potential issues with catching your falling powerup. I also shortened the second vertical section (Level 2B) because it was too repetitive. I still would prefer a dialog-based Quick Retry, so that the player isn't trapped in the level until they have less than 5 lives. Hopefully the level's more fair this time?

Also, I've heard that some testers have had issues with wall clipping, which would kill your spin jump. However, I've never had this happen to me in the countless times I've tested the level. If this still happens, please be specific so that I can try to recreate it, and maybe we can have wall clipping patched out in the future.

Detailed changelog:
  • Implemented Simple HP system (with Primitive Retry) for Levels 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, and 52.
  • Modified ExGFXE1 and ExGFXE3 for the HP meter graphics.
  • Removed beet powerups from Levels 2A, 2B, 2C, 2D, and 52 (no longer necessary).
  • Removed all "Press R to retry" messages.
  • Extended the second-to-last fence in Level 2D.
  • Fixed A2XT Thwomp graphics (updated ExGFXE0).
  • Added powerups to Level 6.
  • Fixed priority with background candles in Level 6 (need patch: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=32380).
  • Shortened Level 2B (made it less repetitive).
  • Gave each of the Thwompson Twins different palettes (blue and red).
  • Remapped the green pipe graphics in Level 6, since they now conflict with the A2XT Thwomp's palette.
  • Enabled the player to powerup from reserves like normal in the Simple HP sections. To prevent HP farming, the reserve box won't be repopulated if Demo is already big.
Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago Level 101:
[...]
- The candles in the background are displayed in front of sprites
I had the same problem in my level. I tried this patch (https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=32380) and it fixed the priority of the candles. The patch is currently in moderation, though.
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

Hello everybody and welcome back to Let's play A3MT!!! This is 4season. This time, I rated the difficulty of a level called 'Moving Ahead at Great Lengths.' I jump over some chucks, spinies and pits. Nothin' special in this level. It's alright difficulty so I rated it 3 ~ 3.4.
Here is a dumb video I recorded.

Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

A level creation is done. This is called 'Switching Difficulties.' I don't know why... Have a fun with tons of switches.
Beta-testers are welcomed. This level has 2 exits.

bps file:
Switching Difficulties.zip
(1.25 MiB) Downloaded 34 times
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

Sorry for updating one of my levels again, but I noticed that in Level 11E it is possible to use the same method that can be used to obtain the 3up-beet to reach the secret exit. So I changed the setup with the secret exit slightly.
PSI Ninja wrote: 1 year ago
Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago Level 101:
[...]
- The candles in the background are displayed in front of sprites
I had the same problem in my level. I tried this patch (https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=32380) and it fixed the priority of the candles. The patch is currently in moderation, though.
That's great! :D
Does the patch once it has been applied fix the priority issues of the candles in all levels that are affected or does it need to be applied to every level individually? I'm asking to find out if I have to update Level 101 again or not. :mgmn:
Attachments
AAT - level updates (V4).zip
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 27 times
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

It's a patch, not uberASM, so it'll work on every level once applied.

(If it were uberASM, you'd just to add it to the list on the sheet and not it needs adding)
Scarfley

Post by Scarfley »

And I found another unintentional way to reach the secret exit, right after submitting the previous update. :aliceko:
Added some blocks that only Demo can pass through to the setup with the secret exit since otherwise it's possible to reach the secret exit when activating the yellow switch, having a cape and a reserve item and juggling the beet/mushroom from the yellow switch block into the setup before the secret exit, since you would then effectively have three powerups at your disposal, which is enough to damage boost to the secret exit.
SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago It's a patch, not uberASM, so it'll work on every level once applied.

(If it were uberASM, you'd just to add it to the list on the sheet and not it needs adding)
Thanks for the clarification! :)
Attachments
AAT - level updates (V5).zip
(1.37 MiB) Downloaded 31 times
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago And I found another unintentional way to reach the secret exit, right after submitting the previous update. :aliceko:
Added some blocks that only Demo can pass through to the setup with the secret exit since otherwise it's possible to reach the secret exit when activating the yellow switch, having a cape and a reserve item and juggling the beet/mushroom from the yellow switch block into the setup before the secret exit, since you would then effectively have three powerups at your disposal, which is enough to damage boost to the secret exit.
Using Ice Physics to access to the key. Fair enough. It is the first time playing this level regularly. Second half will be annoying when the players can't make in the first time. (I was angry when I fall to the water or touched fish like 3 times and over in off-camera.) Fortunately, each part of that protecting a throw block part is short.

Not a blind playthrough.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Thank you all for your work, again, I'm sorry I didn't insert everything yet!
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Feel free, if this applies to anyone else
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-12-05 220905.png
Screenshot 2022-12-05 220905.png (19.64 KiB) Viewed 1794 times
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

levelengine wrote:ping
clitoris
Image Image
SMCslevelengine
eh

Post by SMCslevelengine »

might as well see it
more often known as levelengine
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

If anyone wants Free Vertical Scrolling in their levels let me know here or on Discord. :pray:
Image Image
Big Brawler

Post by Big Brawler »

Level 137 - Rift Collapse (Working Title)

Made a plant level, and speaking of plants, I checked "Anti-Sushi" and the venus plants have a green outline, not sure if something was changed. Anyway, another traditional platforming level

Music slot is 84

Attachments
Level 137.zip
(1.55 MiB) Downloaded 29 times
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Revenge of the Sushi? I'll see if there's anything going on with the baserom and the palette row the Venuses use.

This stage looks like a whole ass vibe, I'll insert it later today. Do you want to keep the cactus and plantmen red btw?
Image Image
Big Brawler

Post by Big Brawler »

Cactus and Plantmen share the same palette as the venus plants for some reason lol, that's why also on sushi they are red, if they can be changed back to green that'd be cool, if not, that's ok too
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Big Brawler wrote: 1 year ago Cactus and Plantmen share the same palette as the venus plants for some reason lol, that's why also on sushi they are red, if they can be changed back to green that'd be cool, if not, that's ok too
fucking imamelia. I bet it's the SMB3 graphics that are doing hat. I can just recolor that if necessary by changing the palettes it accesses for its tiles in the code and also like. Recolor them to match the proper colors in the row within the tiles. It's no biggie. I'll figure something out.

If necessary we can just use the tulips from betrayal rock like one of Nao's stages uses, I'm just not pushing it onto you because doing a romhack comes with the territory that someone might want the Mario™ Aesthetics. It might be easier but I worry that not everyone might want the ASMT Original Generations for the PlayStation 2 vibes. It's a Super Robot Wars joke
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

could also use the yunchers i quickly did up in one of my levels because i didn't know nao had came up with a replacement themselves

honestly it'd probably be a good idea to get demo-style gfx for any of the custom sprites that don't have them if we can (provided if people are ok with using them in their levels)
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

I've never made the first level in my life. I thought how 1-1 should be. 1-1 should be not too easy and should be special to give the good impression.
'Super Easy Going' is my first first level I made.
Attachments
Super Easy Going.zip
(1.49 MiB) Downloaded 24 times
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

If you're going for the first level of the hack, then I like it.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I'm not gonna make any? levels by myself anymore for this because I feel like the baserom is way too stuffed and it's kind of messing with my autism ("OCD" if u will), but also I unironically use Classic Goombas in every level so.

I put them in my main SMW hacking folder to mess around with later and see what I can do with them without the pressure of deadlines and a nearly full sprite ID list. We have to figure out how the Pixi by level sprites thing works if we do this again.

I'm willing to lease my Serpentina port for anyone to use it, SMWC-bound hacks included. Just don't upload the song on SMWC's sections directly due to the rules abt banned authors' work. I don't want to see anyone get banned due to me.

I'm planning on seeing if I can port Popoi's theme from Puyo Fever, through a MIDI I have, for our eventual Bowser's Castle. For the final boss I'll see if I can find a MIDI of Silver Will from Trails, the PC Japanese version uses WAVs I think, haven't checked the XSEED release but it probably uses OGGs? Otherwise I'll port a battle theme from one of the Gagharv games. I'd use SaGa music but YelseyKing would probably have a shitfit /joke

EDIT:
Scarfley wrote: 1 year ago Thank you, that would be much appreciated :)
Just go with whatever you prefer, I'm fine with all of those.

Also, it would be super nice if you could add the No-yoshi intro to Greenhouse Gambling as well if possible. :mgmn:
Wait Did I Ever Do This Oh My God
Attachments
serpentina.zip
(69.23 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
Image Image