Organizing a larger team.

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Organizing a larger team.

Post by KobaBeach »

Okay so it's been very obvious that even with this project starting only 12 days ago, it's been somewhat stressful for me. It's my first time handling such a project and I'm honestly worried about disappointing people, so I force myself to overwork.

For that reason I'm asking my fellow team members to suggest positions to work in to aid myself and other hackers. So far I've considered:
  • Two? co-coordenators to help guide the project and be my fairy godmothers. I'd honestly prefer someone with a bit of experience, but someone who can help us focus on our priorities, avoid scope creep, and manage things shouldn't need too much experience?
  • A few baserom moderators (Deputy Manager?) to help organize the baserom in the event I become unavailable for a hot second, likely due to self-care or playing shitty RPGs. Disk Poppy has actually helped me with this before, so it'd be nice if he could help, he's been sending pull requests my way on the collab Git.
  • ASM assistants. In the case of bug fixing or making a few simple assets and the like, I'd appreciate someone to be my partners in crime. I want to be able to aid people by coding ASM stuff and if a few people want to help, then by all means. I've thought about PSI Ninja at least helping with making basic bosses, but not on request.
  • Graphics artists and managers. There is an interest in drawing ASMT graphics for the custom enemies, for this reason I'd like there to be a few people to handle that. Nao has also offered to handle Graphics and Palette management on people's levels, which should come in handy.
Now, compared to ASMT and A2MT, stuff like making original custom ports or gfx or extensive ASM edits, I'm up to making a few jank ports and a few sprites for people, but I don't want us to focus on increasing scope and trying to make everything original. We can discuss this in this thread though, so feel free to pitch in.

I'm obviously trepidatious due to how A2MT crashed and burned, but go ham. Hopefully with a larger pool of staff rather than just one manager and a bunch of level designers with added talent, we should be able to be more flexible in production.

Anyway, while you can discuss this in our Discord, I'd rather people post their opinions here on Talkhaus so they're not buried in chatlogs and so people have an opportunity to give their thoughts without having to be online at a certain time. Thank you and please understand.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Re: Organizing a larger team.

Post by camwoodstock »

it wasn't really a role mentioned (unless co-coordinator counts for it?) but if you ever need someone to help manage the discord side of things, we can totally help out on that. we're co-founders and current admins of the osamu sato discord, as well as moderator on the puyo puyo pals (an lgbt+-centric puyo server), so like we've got Cred in terms of helping with that stuff ;p
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago it wasn't really a role mentioned (unless co-coordinator counts for it?) but if you ever need someone to help manage the discord side of things, we can totally help out on that. we're co-founders and current admins of the osamu sato discord, as well as moderator on the puyo puyo pals (an lgbt+-centric puyo server), so like we've got Cred in terms of helping with that stuff ;p
Co-coordinators would help lead the hack and give guidance to the team members. I won't say no to someone helping clean up the Discord.

Queer support is good, there are a few edgelords in the darker recesses of the SMW space. I'm also not very good at moderating, banning aterraformer from romhack shack v1 was a bit stressful. I'm honestly worried he'll come back and try to weasel his way into the hack.
Image Image
Super Maks 64
Just your usual SMW hacker
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Super Maks 64 »

I could take the role of an ASM Assistant Magician.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Super Maks 64 wrote: 2 years ago I could take the role of an ASM Assistant Magician.
i will personally shield you from any overwork
Image Image
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

I think for graphics, apart from having a dedicated graphics manager, we could just have a thread with project graphics resources and open graphics requests where graphics artists can take on those requests if they want. I can do graphics, but I only do them for things I feel passionate about.

I can't help with ASM or the baserom, but I suppose I could help coordinate things? The role doesn't seem to involve much more than reminding people of the "we're not committing to include your idea until it's been made" policy though. I've been part of (but not led) a couple of (Paper Mario) modding team projects; they all collapsed, but I feel I have a good grasp of why and how to avoid that. I've also been a moderator for fairly sizeable modding server but ... well, that's a long story ... but the essence of it is that I'm not afraid of banning toxic people even if they've made significant contributions to the scene.
a
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

since i've essentially already been giving advice for avoiding scope creep i might as well keep doing it
:trans_pride: