(shouting)

And Another Thing - discussion thread (bowz soft deadline at August 29th)

name this garbage hack

Poll ended at 2 years ago

A Third Mario Thing
34%
And Another Thing
37%
A Different Mario Thing
No votes
One More Mario Thing
6%
An ASMT Thing
14%
A2MT2
No votes
R-Type Final 4
9%

Total votes: 35

WitherSnow

Re: And Another Thing - discussion thread (pre-bowz deadline is 3/29/2023)

Post by WitherSnow »

Sooo uh. I had worked on this level for just under a week but kept forgetting to post it. This is Assault on Snake Block Fortress, Annnnnd I just realized the deadline was yesterday..... (I thought it was the end of March, not the 29th!) Whoops, well. It's already up soooooo here it is. It's a very difficult level, likely being postgame or very late game.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/r6t6rds5 ... 2.zip/file
Sorry to have kept you waiting. Everything should be there for insertion, with the bps for easy playing.
(Edit: Wait I forgot the music! NOW it should have everything! Wow glad my inadequacy is being framed right at the top of page 13 lol.)
Thank you and I'm sorry.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Oh awesome! Thanks for posting it

edit: for the second part of the level, do you want the default smb3 boomerang bros/micro goomba, or do you want us to place the bananasnake/whatnot graphics there?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

SAJewers wrote: 11 months ago Oh awesome! Thanks for posting it

edit: for the second part of the level, do you want the default smb3 boomerang bros/micro goomba, or do you want us to place the bananasnake/whatnot graphics there?
I think you should use the new graphics. Make it fit in with everything else. How's the level? Is it too difficult?
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

WitherSnow wrote: 11 months ago

I think you should use the new graphics. Make it fit in with everything else. How's the level? Is it too difficult?
Boss aside, I don't think it's too difficult. It's a neat level.
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

SAJewers wrote: 11 months ago
WitherSnow wrote: 11 months ago

Boss aside, I don't think it's too difficult. It's a neat level.
That's good to hear. Thanks for playing it!
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

KobaBeach wrote: 11 months ago
EllenHouraisan wrote: 11 months ago So, how does the current baserom work? I patch the "my hack" file and get this:
if it runs it should be fine
Nope, doesn't run, just stays on a black screen. I tried to google search a solution, but nothing works. :ehh:
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 11 months ago
KobaBeach wrote: 11 months ago
EllenHouraisan wrote: 11 months ago So, how does the current baserom work? I patch the "my hack" file and get this:
if it runs it should be fine
Nope, doesn't run, just stays on a black screen. I tried to google search a solution, but nothing works. :ehh:
Let's see, two things to test that I can think of:
  • Make sure the clean ROM is playable.
  • Make sure the output ROM doesn't have the same name as any patch file, as some emulators will otherwise try to apply the patch again with their (dumb) "hot patching" feature (this is why you want to name it my_hack.smc while the patch is named my_hack_bps.bps).
a
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Lord Ruby wrote: 11 months ago Let's see, two things to test that I can think of:
  • Make sure the clean ROM is playable.
  • Make sure the output ROM doesn't have the same name as any patch file, as some emulators will otherwise try to apply the patch again with their (dumb) "hot patching" feature (this is why you want to name it my_hack.smc while the patch is named my_hack_bps.bps).
Rom's playable, it's the same one I've been using since the beginning of the project (worked fine with the old baseroms). Naming it just "my_hack.smc" didn't solve the problem, sadly. Seems like no matter what I name the rom, it still goes black. I also tried using a different clean rom I had lying about, and it didn't work either.
Scarfley
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Scarfley »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 11 months ago Rom's playable, it's the same one I've been using since the beginning of the project (worked fine with the old baseroms). Naming it just "my_hack.smc" didn't solve the problem, sadly. Seems like no matter what I name the rom, it still goes black. I also tried using a different clean rom I had lying about, and it didn't work either.
Maybe it's because the current baserom is 6 MB now? Some emulators have problems with roms of this size.
If that's the case newer versions of Snes9x should work I think.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Scarfley wrote: 11 months ago Maybe it's because the current baserom is 6 MB now? Some emulators have problems with roms of this size.
If that's the case newer versions of Snes9x should work I think.
Oh, turns out my version is like, ancient. I really need to start making an habit of updating the many pieces of software I have (I won't, though). Anyways, updating it solved the issue, thanks for the tip!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 11 months ago Oh, turns out my version is like, ancient. I really need to start making an habit of updating the many pieces of software I have (I won't, though). Anyways, updating it solved the issue, thanks for the tip!
Same, my copies of Mednafen and MAME (no GUI on Med; MEWUI on MAME, recent version) deffo need it if anything, amongst other non emulators like VirtualMIDISynth (for RPG Maker games) and WinSCP (for PS3/Vita FTP piracy bullshit). But man, sis, I thought it was the latest version and got mondo worried, because everyone was having checksum incorrect issues and we were worried something broke, even though I think 6MB and 8MB SMW hacks are just. Like That

I'll try to update the baserom either today or tomorrow, depending on how much time I waste minmaxing Star Ocean as a joke, and how much time I waste drawing

macro bara

(really bad 90s era Beast Xmens brain rot @Д@), and also whether I do it right now because I'm a lion of unpredictability and severe untreated mental illnesses.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
davin282

Re: And Another Thing - discussion thread (bowz deadline is 6/29/2023, TRIUMPH OR DIE)

Post by davin282 »

So I had a idea what if the special world submap was 2 sub maps to make it more Well special and I’ve seen this before in one hack called Super mario /v/orld new vegas

Example:
Attachments
2AB3EFAC-BE98-49DE-90A7-EF4EACFA3623.png
2AB3EFAC-BE98-49DE-90A7-EF4EACFA3623.png (932.76 KiB) Viewed 16770 times
KobaBeach

Re: And Another Thing - discussion thread (bowz deadline is 6/29/2023, TRIUMPH OR DIE)

Post by KobaBeach »

We're in the middle of figuring out the overworld layout but I don't think it allows for a single world to take up two submaps lol

P.S. I still think /pol/ is worse than /mlp/ /Ex-oldfagByTechnicality
Image Image
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

to be fair /pol/ really does bring out the worst in people. /mlp/ just had the misfortune of being full of stans right before we figured out that bit of terminology.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
davin282

Post by davin282 »

KobaBeach wrote: 10 months ago We're in the middle of figuring out the overworld layout but I don't think it allows for a single world to take up two submaps lol

P.S. I still think /pol/ is worse than /mlp/ /Ex-oldfagByTechnicality
Oh it’s fine It was just a idea
SAJewers

Re: And Another Thing - discussion thread (bowz details being settled, pls watch warmly)

Post by SAJewers »

Since I don't know the status of some things, and want to see what's left and who's doing what, in order to see what I can work on/where I can help, I figured I'd make a post here trying to figure this out. Fell free to correct me if I'm wrong here. Also feel free to add anything if I missed anything.

TITLE SCREEN
We have a logo, and that seems to be it. I know PSI Ninja at one point offered to make the title screen level, though I don't know if that's still the case.

LEVELS
Still missing finished versions of 007, 00D, 00F, 104, 128, 12A, and 12E.

FINAL CASTLE
AFAIK there's been some random discussion, but nothing fully concrete yet about anything. I know some work on a boss has been done, though.

SPECIAL
We know what we're doing, and we have the first 2 sections and the boss at the end. No one has claimed a section or done anything since the boss was inserted.

WORLD MAP
Nao made up a level order, with what exits lead to what levels. We have a mockup of what World 1 is, and a rough idea for the Fishmarket and Forest World. Names for submaps haven't been concretely decided (outside the Fishmarket), and no one has offered to actually make the World Map.

SPRITE GFX
There was some discussion about changing Blaarg and Bullet Bill from what was used in A2MT, but nothing concrete. To my knowledge, Booblah, Panser, Angry Sun, Spike Ball, Ludwig, Lemmy, Wendy, and Trouter don't have custom graphics yet (and still use their default Mario graphics). Also still need a "No Cat Llamas" graphic.

IRIS
Partially implemented, but not fully. I will note the Separate Luigi Graphics patch says you can have more than just 2 characters. I wonder how easy it would be to also port Calleoca and Pily from the the advent christmas events? (jut throwing this out there, not something I'm saying we should do)

CUTSCENES
No idea
KobaBeach

Re: And Another Thing - discussion thread (bowz details being settled, pls watch warmly)

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 10 months ago I wonder how easy it would be to also port Calleoca and Pily from the the advent christmas events? (jut throwing this out there, not something I'm saying we should do)
if i had to guess probably near impossible? it depends on whether we want to harass rix and chaox to make us new sprites
SAJewers wrote: 10 months ago CUTSCENES
No idea
EllenHouraisan wrote:ping
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

KobaBeach wrote: 10 months ago
SAJewers wrote: 10 months ago I wonder how easy it would be to also port Calleoca and Pily from the the advent christmas events? (jut throwing this out there, not something I'm saying we should do)
if i had to guess probably near impossible? it depends on whether we want to harass rix and chaox to make us new sprites
It shouldn't be too hard to copy/paste over walking and jumping frames, the big issue would just be flying frames and a fire palette I think. Again, I haven't looked at this closely at all, just thought of it.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Not really willing to do cutscene work anymore (unless absolutely nobody else wants to do it). Dragon Fogel and Cam & Tori showed interest in doing that, so maybe give 'em a poke instead.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 10 months ago Not really willing to do cutscene work anymore (unless absolutely nobody else wants to do it). Dragon Fogel and Cam & Tori showed interest in doing that, so maybe give 'em a poke instead.
oh if you want us to write dialogue and crap we'd be down! we'd just have to be caught up to speed with the intended story and what's happening. we've seen a few things tossed around, but haven't actively participated in a hot minute, so we don't know exactly what the plot we're going with is, or if it's even been determined yet, oops :aliceko:
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

camwoodstock wrote: 10 months ago
EllenHouraisan wrote: 10 months ago Not really willing to do cutscene work anymore (unless absolutely nobody else wants to do it). Dragon Fogel and Cam & Tori showed interest in doing that, so maybe give 'em a poke instead.
oh if you want us to write dialogue and crap we'd be down! we'd just have to be caught up to speed with the intended story and what's happening. we've seen a few things tossed around, but haven't actively participated in a hot minute, so we don't know exactly what the plot we're going with is, or if it's even been determined yet, oops :aliceko:
Very little has been discussed or done on it at all, outside of that one post in the plot thread where I tried to come up with some stuff.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Hi 'sup it's me raocow. This thread is the only thread I read about aat, and even then not really in depth or anything.

anyways, ah
are cutscenes actually needed ?

I thought this was a paired down hack.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

I sensed scope creep and have been summoned accordingly. Seems it also had that effect on raocow. Hi raocow!
KobaBeach wrote: 10 months ago
Not promising anything, but if y'all can provide a complete tilesheet for Demo's and/or Iris' graphics (assuming the tiles and/or palettes are different from how they were in A2MT) I can maybe try deriving another sibling from them after MaFAB3 is over? Either that or I'll just slap Boon's head on them to make the ultimate fusion protagonist. But probably the first thing.

For now, here's Calleoca's and Pily's sprites from A2XT2 and the Gaidens:
calleoca_a2xt_small.png
calleoca_a2xt_small.png (16.84 KiB) Viewed 16099 times
calleoca_a2xt_big.png
calleoca_a2xt_big.png (25.32 KiB) Viewed 16099 times
pily_a2xt_big.png
pily_a2xt_big.png (36.95 KiB) Viewed 16099 times

These weren't made with tile size limits in mind, but for what it's worth Pily's sprites were set up for a palette swap shader -- the hair/dress, eye, skin, and white stripe all have separate color ramps with zero overlap. I don't know how much of a difference that actually makes, but between that and her having a monochromatic color scheme like Demo and Iris I imagine she should be a bit easier to edit and adapt to a SMW player palette than Calle?

EDIT: I almost forgot, here's Pily's palette sheet
palettes.png
palettes.png (439 Bytes) Viewed 16098 times
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Since my name got brought up: my offer in the early days of this hack was pretty much, if you want writing I'm willing to provide whatever level of it you're looking for. And that basically still stands. If you feel that you've got the writing in hand, I'm also willing to look over the script and offer any thoughts I have on improving it.

Or you can decide you don't have any particular need for me, that's fine too. Just clarifying that I'm still up for this.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

raocow wrote: 10 months ago Hi 'sup it's me raocow. This thread is the only thread I read about aat, and even then not really in depth or anything.

anyways, ah
are cutscenes actually needed ?

I thought this was a paired down hack.
not sure how intensely we should explain things in front of raocow so uh. spoiler tag! but--
honestly we were under the impression that the cutscenes would, at their highest possible tech, probably be akin to like, the ASMT1 cutscenes, but presumably at least a little updated for the times. and that's a VERY strong "at most", with the very real chance they'd be even more lo-fi, and the writing we'd be doing for them shifting to compensate for it.

that much to say, "we were pretty much anticipating the only cutscenes would be for the intro, POSSIBLY before the boss in bowz castle, for beating the bowz castle, and for beating the postgame". if there's other cutscenes and people are willing to work on us with them, that'd be cool! but we were genuinely under the assumption cutscenes would be fairly sparsely used since the one thing about the story that seems to be consistent with everyone is "it's going to be very excuse plot-y and threadbare, and that's kind of the joke, since the focus is on gameplay anyhow"
Rixithechao wrote: 10 months ago I sensed scope creep and have been summoned accordingly. Seems it also had that effect on raocow. Hi raocow!
you set off raocow's spidey senses, how DARE you,
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner