(shouting)

And Another Thing - discussion thread (bowz soft deadline at August 29th)

name this garbage hack

Poll ended at 2 years ago

A Third Mario Thing
34%
And Another Thing
37%
A Different Mario Thing
No votes
One More Mario Thing
6%
An ASMT Thing
14%
A2MT2
No votes
R-Type Final 4
9%

Total votes: 35

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: And Another Thing - discussion thread

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 2 years ago I posted a reminder in the patapon spotzone last week, and had a few people showing interest, but knew nothing about smw hacking and were nervous about submitting.
Oh I felt that in my kokoro. I'd like to believe the server is friendly and open to "baby's first stages" and generally okay to be in outside of my unhinged shitposting. Lunar Magic and the like is much harder to get a handle of compared to SMBX, but it's not impossible, it comes with a good help file, and people can usually help with any doubts people have on the server.

I feel like with SMW hacking calming down outside of Kaizo and raocow not being as big as he used to be we didn't get as much of an overload of claims as A2MT did, which is a blessing in disguise. Some of the people are still working on their own levels, but I'd like people to give it an honest attempt, even if they make something that's either too easy or too hard.

Regardless I'll try to check in every couple of weeks maybe, even if new people jump in, if I don't forget about it? We do have members on the server who aren't on talkhaus and members that aren't on the server but are on talkhaus or outside of it. I'd like some of the latter to at least post in one of the AAT threads about progress when they're feeling up to it, there's some stages that we just don't have any info about.

As for my levels, I'm having kinda bad mental health days rn, but I'll try to push through soon regardless and just wing it. Lots of brain fog the past month to the point that debugging ASM the other day gave me huge anxiety and I felt zero desire to troubleshoot it after making the initial code, just writing this post is a lot already. Might be from fatigue or lack of sleep, ever since a few days before my colonoscopy my sleep pattern has been screwed up.

I'll try to talk with the server to see if they're okay with a reminder video, I still feel like it was like two weeks ago but I'm pretty sure it was in mid February.
PSI Ninja wrote: 2 years ago The initial excitement has waned by this point. I can't speak for others, but I can assure you that I'm still actively working on the levels that I've claimed on the spreadsheet. On the bright side, we have ~25% of possible levels inserted into the base ROM and ready for testing, which is good progress. A little over 50% of levels have been claimed. It would be more fun if other people in rao's community could join in as level makers, so we don't wind up with like, 10+ levels made by the same person (although that does end up happening in some collabs). Not that it's a bad thing, but having more diversity in level authors would be great.
I'm gonna check if there's anything that needs insertion recently, Nao has been busy with studies. I just worry about levels that are claimed but never finished.
PSI Ninja wrote: 2 years ago There's plenty of things we can do while waiting for the overworld to be finished. We can work on the story/cutscenes, coding custom bosses, and of course, level testing. Only a few of us have reviewed levels so far. I hope more people will give their thoughts eventually. Any amount of feedback would be incredibly useful, even if the level author may not fully agree with it. Also, regarding the v0.99 levels-only release, would it have the final overworld, or would it just be a rudimentary placeholder?

Unrelated to the above, but in the chat I mentioned that it would be cool to have another silly little intro stage for the title sequence like in ASMT. Even if Demo is just walking through a literal fish market, or if we make her dance to some sick beats, it would be more interesting than just a static image, or having Demo stare down the SS Cotopaxi parrot.
I may have brain fog but I feel like a concrete design document for the bosses might help me design things, though for more detailed behavior that goes beyond like. Possibly Julius or Tanasinn, I might have to recharge a bit more. Basically complex sprite movement, routines etc, anything that requires good math knowledge, I was trying to make a basic Power Stone (MM5) like projectile movement to practice, and it requires some trigonometry which I haven't touched upon since high school a few years ago so I just conked out.

Im ambivalent to the title screen imagery, I just feel like a static logo like in VIP5 would require good pixel art skill. I'll leave it to your (collective) hands.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Well, I'm certainly up for trying to make levels, but I haven't touched Luna Magic in like 10 years, so I'm really out of the loop when it comes to SMW stuff. Also I admit that level making isn't my strong suit, but rather graphics, like making sprites.

On that note, are there any gimmicks worth mentioning to keep in mind when making a level? Like A2MT had the hidden treasures.

Still, was a tad busy the past week, but I think I finally figured out how discord servers work and will have a look at it this weekend.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Taigiry wrote: 2 years ago Well, I'm certainly up for trying to make levels, but I haven't touched Luna Magic in like 10 years, so I'm really out of the loop when it comes to SMW stuff. Also I admit that level making isn't my strong suit, but rather graphics, like making sprites.

On that note, are there any gimmicks worth mentioning to keep in mind when making a level? Like A2MT had the hidden treasures.
It's ok, I suck at making levels too. We're ixnay-ing the Great Cave Offensive mechanic to avoid scope creep. It's mostly just traditional SMW.
Taigiry wrote: 2 years ago Still, was a tad busy the past week, but I think I finally figured out how discord servers work and will have a look at it this weekend.
Take your time, you can do it <3
Image Image
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Messing around with Lunar Magic makes me realize just how much I've forgotten and also how much has changed, but I'm slowly getting the hang out of it again. Feels nostalgic.
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago
Taigiry wrote: 2 years ago Still, was a tad busy the past week, but I think I finally figured out how discord servers work and will have a look at it this weekend.
Take your time, you can do it <3
Thanks, truthfully, big chat thingies like discord still make me anxious, so I've mostly been lurking around for now.
shaman

Post by shaman »

Hi. Just passing by to wish you guys luck on the project! I wish I had the kind of time i had 9-10 years ago when this whole thing started to be able to participate, but life happens so hard.
I'll still be lurking around and will 100% watch raocow's playthrough of the thing in the end!
is this videogames?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

shaman wrote: 1 year ago Hi. Just passing by to wish you guys luck on the project! I wish I had the kind of time i had 9-10 years ago when this whole thing started to be able to participate, but life happens so hard.
I'll still be lurking around and will 100% watch raocow's playthrough of the thing in the end!
I only have time because I'm a NEET, and even then I'm so tired I can't do anything but handle insertion when nao's too busy and play RPGs

Let's hope this doesn't take a decade to be finished!
Thank you so much.
Image Image
Lord Ruby

Post by Lord Ruby »

I made a hit point patch (now included in the baserom)! Also has a feature that can be used for retry systems. The tl;dr is to not write to $788A ($188A|!addr) if you don't want to activate it.

See this thread or the asm file in the repository for more information: https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=20500
a
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

*max tales of eternia voice* yea

Since May 11th, I've inserted some edited ASM by 4season, the status bar removal patch by Kevin, applied the status bar removal on Chrystal Caves and Thornbush Scramble, added the Simple HP patch, added Easy Mode 7, removed some unused patches, made two provisory title screens, inserted my bad castle level, inserted the Time Up fix, and fixed the Chuck flower's miscolored arm.

It's May 13th, 2:46 AM GMT+0.

God help us all, Koba's being productive
Image Image
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

This looks super neat! How do I claim a level? I think I'll claim 1A. Think I might do an underwater level with Pressured Water Uberasm.
I'd have to poke around more to see what I can do.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

WitherSnow wrote: 1 year ago This looks super neat! How do I claim a level? I think I'll claim 1A. Think I might do an underwater level with Pressured Water Uberasm.
that depends are you still a cringe ass right winger 12yo
Image Image
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago
WitherSnow wrote: 1 year ago This looks super neat! How do I claim a level? I think I'll claim 1A. Think I might do an underwater level with Pressured Water Uberasm.
that depends are you still a cringe ass right winger 12yo
Well I'm still right leaning, but yeah that shit on my profile was mega cringe.
(Funny enough, IDK if I would've considered myself right wing at the time.
I was super into alt right memes because they were edgy and offensive.)
But I was by no means, alt right. I did (and somewhat still do) think people are too hypersensitive.
That lead me down a path of not taking shit seriously. "It's just a word/phrase. Why so hypersensitive?"
That kinda stuff. But without the context of me being an edgy boy I just look like a Nazi.
So yeah, sorry about my dumb cringey shit. May I participate in your colab?
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

As long there's nothing insensitive (see this from last year on smwc), I'd be fine, though I'm not Koba.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

SAJewers wrote: 1 year ago As long there's nothing insensitive (see this from last year on smwc), I'd be fine, though I'm not Koba.
Yikes! If I go for the underwater thing I think the name will be Love Frog Hangout.
Mixing Pressured Water and Upside Down and regular Love frogs would be a neat idea.
So how do I claim a level again?
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

WitherSnow wrote: 1 year ago Yikes! If I go for the underwater thing I think the name will be Love Frog Hangout.
Mixing Pressured Water and Upside Down and regular Love frogs would be a neat idea.
pick a free level and whatever sublevels you need (i just picked as i made my levels) from the spreadsheet, make sure they're not claimed by other weenies
WitherSnow wrote: 1 year ago So yeah, sorry about my dumb cringey shit. May I participate in your colab?
I guess. I was also really exhausted because I've been having trouble sleeping due to high temperatures (today it's 28 celsius, the day before yesterday it was like 25 celsius in the middle of the night) and I slept through the whole afternoon yesterday. I was watching a Tales of Destiny speedrun and it was cool but it had a relaxing effect on me that I nearly fell asleep. I was also sorngry (sad horny angry).

Also we literally had levelengine, who has actively said some cringe ass shit, try to join, which made another user bounce (I accepted him at the time because raocow liked his stages).

P.S. I hope you're happy that A2MT is nearly finished now.

ASMagician Maks wants to finish it more, apply a level to the original hack that was originally a bonus and fix a bug with a custom block, but I'm not sure when that will be. I'd like it to be sooner so raocow replays A2MT.

Image Image
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

WitherSnow wrote: 1 year ago Yikes! If I go for the underwater thing I think the name will be Love Frog Hangout.
pick a free level and whatever sublevels you need (i just picked as i made my levels) from the spreadsheet, make sure they're not claimed by other weenies
WitherSnow wrote: 1 year ago So yeah, sorry about my dumb cringey shit. May I participate in your colab?
I guess. I was also really exhausted because I've been having trouble sleeping due to high temperatures (today it's 28 celsius, the day before yesterday it was like 25 celsius in the middle of the night) and I slept through the whole afternoon yesterday. I was watching a Tales of Destiny speedrun and it was cool but it had a relaxing effect on me that I nearly fell asleep. I was also sorngry (sad horny angry).

Also we literally had levelengine, who has actively said some cringe ass shit, try to join, which made another user bounce (I accepted him at the time because raocow liked his stages).

P.S. I hope you're happy that A2MT is nearly finished now.

ASMagician Maks wants to finish it more, apply a level to the original hack that was originally a bonus and fix a bug with a custom block, but I'm not sure when that will be. I'd like it to be sooner so raocow replays A2MT.

Yeah, I couldn't believe how he did it but I'm glad he did. A2MT had some amazing levels in it which is why I wanted it to do well.
Also, can I use the On cloud Nine music from ASMT? It's not on SMWCentral but I found it here from this video.
I think it would be fitting for my frog level I'm working on.
I didn't know if the music had to be from SMWCentral.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

It's original by prsnth, so it's likely only available if you go through the ASMT resource pack which I'm not sure where it is, or you could use spc2mml to extract it which, people have done many times with custom music.
Image Image
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

KobaBeach wrote: 1 year ago It's original by prsnth, so it's likely only available if you go through the ASMT resource pack which I'm not sure where it is, or you could use spc2mml to extract it which, people have done many times with custom music.
In the description is a link to download the song.
I just want to know if it's okay to insert. If it had to be from SMWCentral.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

go ham broe,
Image Image
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

I'm done making my level. I want to do more playtesting to better assess the challenge level. but when I'm ready to upload, what do I need to include?
I imagine the level files and any custom music but is there anything else I need to include?
Nao
Pronouns: he

Post by Nao »

WitherSnow wrote: 1 year ago I'm done making my level. I want to do more playtesting to better assess the challenge level. but when I'm ready to upload, what do I need to include?
I imagine the level files and any custom music but is there anything else I need to include?
All resources you inserted + the level files. Also please include a bps patch so we can quickly test the level and give feedback
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

Done and dusted. I hope you like the level. In there should be everything you need and more.
I hope my level gets good reception. Looking forward to some awesome constructive feedback.
Have Fun!
https://www.mediafire.com/file/zra4kevz ... n.zip/file
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

WitherSnow wrote: 1 year ago Looking forward to some awesome constructive feedback.
have u considered gitting gud

(i haven't played it yet im sorry)
Image Image
WitherSnow

Post by WitherSnow »

WitherSnow wrote: 1 year ago Looking forward to some awesome constructive feedback.
have u considered gitting gud

(i haven't played it yet im sorry)
Ha! Nice! Can't wait to see what you think!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

WitherSnow wrote: 1 year ago Ha! Nice! Can't wait to see what you think!
Inserted, haven't messed around with it much but I like the cut of its jib, much like Bumpty's (also inserted just now).
Would have appreciated the message box being in txt file format though ;w;

I've fixed your typos, btw. <3
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Due to free time opening up for people in summer, I'm going to start asking for weekly progress reports. This won't be an A2MT situation where you will be kicked out due to the most minor of issues (hogging slots or making a bad level).

Don't be afraid to say like, "I haven't been working on it because I was busy", I would appreciate trying to be diligent but it won't be do or die.
Image Image