An ASMT Thing
14%
A2MT2
No votes
R-Type Final 4
9%

Total votes: 35

KobaBeach
suffering from "unfinished battle with god" syndrome (jrpg stan)
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: And Another Thing - discussion thread

Post by KobaBeach »

Disk Poppy — Hoje às 11:57
i agree with lord ruby - look at smwcp2
it will never get "finished"

KobaBeach — Hoje às 11:58
can we not make bosses then

Disk Poppy — Hoje às 11:58
sure
sorry tiki
Image catmen and wearing sandals year round enthusiast Image
MaGL Patch Collection / rpg list / animu list / mcmangos / steam
:pride: :nb_pride: :pan_pride: Image
SAJewers
hi

Post by SAJewers »

If I have time, I'll see if I can whip up another Castle for this (no guarantees though)
ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
suffering from "unfinished battle with god" syndrome (jrpg stan)
First name: David
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

SAJewers wrote: 1 week ago If I have time, I'll see if I can whip up another Castle for this (no guarantees though)
It's okay if you don't. Just take your time and don't overwork urself <3 xoxo

Anyway I'm planning on a deadline once The Whole Game Is Postgame's submission period is over. I'll announce it around late December.

:mgmn:
Image catmen and wearing sandals year round enthusiast Image
MaGL Patch Collection / rpg list / animu list / mcmangos / steam
:pride: :nb_pride: :pan_pride: Image
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Just wanted to share some of my own thoughts regarding the boss situation and the overworld:
KobaBeach wrote: 1 week ago I've also thought about this (while watching Somecallmejohnny's Sonic 06 review for the umpteenth time, what a choice) and I feel like, if we don't have enough castles or stages with bosses, we might be able to get away with a world ending with just a standard level.
Don't we already have enough castles (and bosses), though? So far, we have:
  • Thwompire State Building (boss: Thwompson Twins)
  • Siege at Castle Wolfenstein (boss: Vanilla Lemmy)
  • PREHISTORIC DOOM CASTLE (boss: TBD)
  • Spikes do hurt (sometimes) (boss: Vanilla Ludwig (glitchy graphics))
  • The Castle of Spirits (boss: Liquor Bottle (Sea Pokey sprite))
  • Sui Glide (no boss)
  • Fortress of some important relevance (boss: in progress)
We also have Lord Ruby's in-progress level/boss, Moon Palace, and Basil II, but I don't know if the latter two will have bosses. This all seems sufficient for a seven or eight world hack. For the castles that need bosses, maybe we could just choose from boss sprites/disassemblies on the Central, and make some modifications to the code and arenas to change things up a bit.
KobaBeach wrote: 1 week ago I remember I also floated the idea of custom bosses after the initial release and, I gotta say, I'm too rusty to properly get set on doing those rn.
There should just be a single, final release of AAT. No "initial release" or anything like that. Otherwise, if we leave the custom bosses as future work, then I guarantee that no one will bother to implement them. It's okay if you can't make a custom boss. I also don't think I'll be able to code a custom boss anymore, thanks to burnout from working on my Switch Palace level. So how about we consider what I mentioned above: for the missing bosses, we just tweak existing sprite ASM and/or find new and interesting ways to use them in arenas (similar to what I did in my Thwomp level). That's something I would be willing to do, at least. I think it's more tractable than coding custom bosses from scratch, and it's a step up from just using the vanilla Koopalings (unless people really want them, of course).
KobaBeach wrote: 1 week ago As for an overworld, I'd like to get the overworld people around, assuming they're free, to help organize something in like, Google Sheets? We could work on the overworld collaboratively. I'm not sure how, but we might be able to figure something out. I'm thinking just a vanilla overworld, I'm not too bad at those, to be honest?
I think a vanilla overworld would be good enough. There's just something satisfying about seeing the overworld events play out, instead of having a static map with no visible paths (like in A2MT). I hope we can have a nice, interconnected overworld with branching paths (i.e., not super linear like in Luigi's Adventure), but this is contingent on there being enough secret exits. Also, I think we should try our best to theme the worlds. It would help the game feel more cohesive in my opinion, rather than just being a random compilation of levels.
KobaBeach wrote: 1 week ago Current focus on getting the current stages done, and then see if anyone's interested in making a Bowser's Castle. Doesn't have to be multiperson if someone's willing to shoulder the burden, but a sort of collection of short 30 second stages from people who feel like they got the motivation in them should be okay, doesn't need to be massive either.
I really like your idea of Bowser's Castle being a multiperson collection of 30 second stages. If we go this route, then I don't know if we should do it the traditional way (choose from a selection of doors), or string them all together à la Bowser's Starship from TSRP, but we'll figure that out when the time comes.