(shouting)

The Mosts Discussion Topic

Making The Most of another year.
Bean
Yep.

The Mosts Discussion Topic

Post by Bean »

I will say going in that there is no one that has claimed banner making. That might not happen this year as I have zero artistic sense whatsoever and do not want to put any pressure on anyone to make them. Also, can you believe this is the 12th year we've been doing this? That's kinda nuts.

Definitely letting this run for a week minimum (4th) but might extend it a few more days if need be since we usually do two weeks.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Re: The Mosts Discussion Topic

Post by tangy »

I'm potentially willing to do banners (if someone else does the tallying)
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'm already planning on doing all the tallying this year. It's been a few years since I ran them thanks to Awoo taking care of the last couple.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I originally wanted to have a more active role for this year's Mosts, but I sort of dropped out of the initial discussion we had in the Gazebo due to unforseen circumstances. I wish the holidays didn't have to be such a stressful time of the year, every year. Thanks for taking charge, Bean.

It's probably best for one person to do the vote counting anyway. I know there was a shared spreadsheet last year, but I could see it being confusing if multiple people were working on it. If you need an independent vote count for verification, just let me know, and I can do it.

I wouldn't be the right person to make the banners. But if there's a real need for help, I can learn how to make them.

I really think the event should last two weeks (ends some time on the week of January 9th). I think one week is too short a time, and people that don't frequent the Talkhaus much could miss it (I recall some members having that issue last year). Perhaps allow topic creation for the first week, and continue to have voting for the second week, to let stragglers catch up. It's up to you, though.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The spreadsheet sharing was so that there could be people helping with the vote that are separate from the host, so that the host wouldn't have to do all the work.

It was also when a "live election coverage" was considered but abandoned because it's just difficult to keep track of what's new and what's old. I realized that without live updates, the spreadsheet is considerably easier to set up since you would be setting it up based on known parameters (e.g. since a thread post count tells you up to how many votes are there, you can space categories accordingly - you don't have to do insertions). I can make such a file and give it to Bean or whoever if it helps them with tallying work.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I'd like topics to be done with being created on January 4th although that's not a hard rule and will let voting stay open until the end of January 9th, Central Standard Time since that is my time zone which means it is the one I'm abiding by.

For reference, it's just about to turn December 31st here as I post this since it's two minutes to midnight now. Cue the song.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man, I wanna participate in the mosts more but since a lot of the topics refer directly to my work it feels wrong to do so. Also I'd technically be disqualified for self-vote.

But I've been reading along though !!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

If you mean let's play related threads it should be fine. And it's not like it's the first time you've voted in one.

By the way - the bucket.txt category looks like it would be a nightmare to count votes, but if it counts, I wonder if the votes can be counted using approval voting, where for each candidate in the list you have an up-or-down vote. So all the games that a user mentions get one vote each, and then you just sum up all the mentions.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

You've got plenty of categories you can vote for though, raocow!
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Huh, I wasn't aware that SMWC does their own Mosts too. Did the talkhaus get the tradition from them, or did they pick it up from us?

In any case, they've already finished theirs. Here's the results thread, might be a good source of inspiration/reminder of categories we've had in the past that we haven't made yet this year. If there are some glaring omissions we should probably make them quickly since thread creation's being locked in two days!
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=viewthrea ... 2#p1594502
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago Huh, I wasn't aware that SMWC does their own Mosts too. Did the talkhaus get the tradition from them, or did they pick it up from us?

In any case, they've already finished theirs. Here's the results thread, might be a good source of inspiration/reminder of categories we've had in the past that we haven't made yet this year. If there are some glaring omissions we should probably make them quickly since thread creation's being locked in two days!
Yeah we got the tradition from SMWC but theirs is usually more rigid and traditional and honestly I prefer our injokey type threads over their more general affairs. I don't know if some of the less Mario related ones even fit our vibes tbh. Except 👡👡👗👜🐴🔥🏋️🚑🏥🔨💀, we need to get on that shit but with a different emoji set so we're not flat out stealing SMWC's joke. Just ripping off is fine.

also unrelated but doctor no calling bowser's brother "maou koopa" after the last stage's title in smw gaiden hurts. i'm not gonna shittalk him because he was nice enough to be a mutual on my old smw twitter so I Think he tolerates my existence. maybe he didn't play until the credits?

bowser's brother is the bowser clones from lost levels just fyi for those not versed in the retro mario lore like my bitch ass is. he's blue in fds, he was gonna be blue too in all stars as an unused palette indicates but it was never used so he just uses bowser prime's colors.

he's just named fake bowser or bowser (blue) in japanese so you can thank the player's guide of smas for the bowser's brother name, the tip for 8p bowser in sm4sh and ultimate, which is based on him, also refers to him as a "bowser impostor". insert among us joke
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago I don't know if some of the less Mario related ones even fit our vibes tbh. Except 👡👡👗👜🐴🔥🏋️🚑🏥🔨💀, we need to get on that shit but with a different emoji set so we're not flat out stealing SMWC's joke. Just ripping off is fine.
Most :catplanet: :rao: :calleoca: :partygator: :mgmn8: :unclebroadsword: :aliceko: :honk: 2021

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago Most :catplanet: :rao: :calleoca: :partygator: :mgmn8: :unclebroadsword: :aliceko: :honk: 2021
yes
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

As you can see, I'm letting everything stay open until the end of the 9th, including topic creation. That way, that MaGL4 topic works.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Wait, so voting ends when topic creation does? Or am I misunderstanding?

I was kinda planning to do my own final voting pass after thread creation was locked, and since we have at least one category that depends on there being a voting-only period (Best Category That Didn't Get a Thread 2021) I imagine there's other folks who've been holding off until then as well, or at least have been expecting it.

As it is I've made too many threads (apologies for that!) so I'm done with adding categories myself, and if nobody else has any left to make there shouldn't be any harm in closing thread creation at the end of today, right...? But if thread creation is going to stay open until the 9th it'd be nice if we could have voting continue through at least the 11th or 12th.

Either way, maybe there should also be a forum header message change; the current one doesn't really give any indication of how far into the event we are and having the voting deadline up there, whatever it ends up being, should help minimize it sneaking up on people.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Fair enough. I can extend voting a couple days to let everybody finish up and maybe even direct people to ones that should be getting more attention, but please, no more topics after Sunday in CST. If it goes too much longer, I could get busy with life again and then counting would take forever. Ha-ha.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

we made 1 (one) more thread if that's ok (it's about CYBERDIGITAL A2XTG2) (if someone else wants to make any further CYBERDIGITAL A2XTG2 threads this is fine with me but we'd ask bean ngl)
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Once again, this is the last day to get your topics up! I'll (hopefully) close off topic creation then but keep voting open on what's here through the 12th!
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I don't think I can close off topic creation privileges without disabling all posting ones, but please, no more new topics at this point. There are over 100 to go through and vote on now if you haven't.

Really recommend you give ones that involve talkhausers a look at like the best LP one that's on the last page as the second to last topic at the moment. Again, you've got until the end of the 12th to get your votes in. I'll change the header in a second.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Gonna try and get some more voting done tonight if I have the time. for now I'm just going to say that I encourage anyone reading this to go through all pages and give the member-focused threads with low post counts some attention. There's still quite a few categories that would be a shame not to make the cut!

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

This is the last day to vote!

When I wake up on Thursday, the forum is getting locked so I can begin tallying these categories up. Do your best to give some more votes to some of the categories on the last few pages that might've slipped past your attention. Either way, let's get this done!

And again, don't expect any banners this year. I'm no artist, and no one else has stepped up for that arduous task. That said, I'll do my best to get these results out in a swift manner if possible as a result!
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Well, if nobody else is up to it I can churn out some userbars with the editor. But if I’m the one making them I’ll likely forego the more custom-tailored approach we’ve been doing in recent years in favor of a single texture tinted to different colors like we used to do back in the early- to mid-2010s.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

That would definitely be appreciated if possible. It's not like there are going to be 100+ winners even if there are over 100 topics here just because of small vote ties or outright disinterest.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Looks like you missed this post
tangy wrote: 2 years ago I'm potentially willing to do banners (if someone else does the tallying)
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

I did miss that one. Oops.