The Mosts Discussion Topic

Making The Most of another year.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Re: The Mosts Discussion Topic

Post by camwoodstock »

wait if we have a program to generate the userbars we may b willing to help? (considering we very evenly have like 125 threads for 25 threads per page, we could totally like split it up so that someone generates one page, then another person generates another page, etc and etc)
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Yep, there's an editor! It's what Enjl's been using for the SMBX contest medals and (I presume) Valentine and the MaGL4 judges used for that contest as well. The thing's not a standalone executable, though -- it's a Unity project. And while it probably works fine in more recent versions of the Unity editor, for guaranteed 100% compatibility you'll need an installation of a fairly old LTS version -- Unity 2019.4.3f1.
https://github.com/rixithechao/userbar-editor

I do want to stress that if you'll be helping with the userbars, be sure to coordinate with Bean and tangy; we usually have cutoff criteria for which categories qualify for userbars, stuff like a minimum post count and a clear majority for one or two nominees. And if there's any ties/"co-wins" or other special cases after the results are tallied up, the host decides how to handle the userbar(s) for those categories.

If it helps to see how we've handled that stuff for past Mosts, here's all the results threads that still have working image links:
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago Yep, there's an editor! It's what Enjl's been using for the SMBX contest medals and (I presume) Valentine and the MaGL4 judges used for that contest as well. The thing's not a standalone executable, though -- it's a Unity project. And while it probably works fine in more recent versions of the Unity editor, for guaranteed 100% compatibility you'll need an installation of a fairly old LTS version -- Unity 2019.4.3f1.
https://github.com/rixithechao/userbar-editor

I do want to stress that if you'll be helping with the userbars, be sure to coordinate with Bean and tangy; we usually have cutoff criteria for which categories qualify for userbars, stuff like a minimum post count and a clear majority for one or two nominees. And if there's any ties/"co-wins" or other special cases after the results are tallied up, the host decides how to handle the userbar(s) for those categories.

If it helps to see how we've handled that stuff for past Mosts, here's all the results threads that still have working image links:
2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
we're assuming if we (as in us and bean and tangy) do choose to do the "team up to make them all" approach we'll prolly also coordinate which categories are getting userbars to begin with--likely 'round the same time we tally the votes 2 begin with actually. (may be worthwhile making a discord group dm if possible to help coordinate this, come to think of it?? :O)
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

i maybe would've helped but magl4 exhausted me (the learning curve on the editor is a li'l bit steep if you don't have somebody helping you through it, I did thankfully but just as a warning)
:trans_pride:
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Valentine wrote: 2 years ago i maybe would've helped but magl4 exhausted me (the learning curve on the editor is a li'l bit steep if you don't have somebody helping you through it, I did thankfully but just as a warning)
honestly looking at it it seems like the biggest hurdle would be "getting the editor to run" for us bc we don't know Anything about unity applets that aren't just "download it and it runs" or "it runs in the browser and it runs". this wouldn't STOP us, but we would prolly want someone running us step-by-step on installing it and running it :oops:
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

And that's that! I'll start up on the tallying votes thing this weekend! Forum should be Read Only for all the regular users and every other non-mod now.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Okay. I reopened The Mosts section just so you can all post in here. Please no new topics. Just use this thread.

Anyway, I've just completed tallying up all the votes and will get to announcing winners eventually (not for a few days). But I also wanted to make sure that if anyone is doing the userbars or teaming up that you all can post on here about it. I'd send the list of winners to you after I get it all organized. It was done from Page 5 to 1 in terms of counting them up, and I think you all would rather have them in categories. Ha-ha.

Would you all want to know winners right away or wait so that userbars could be made first (if that goes smoothly)? That's the real question here!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Bean wrote: 2 years ago Would you all want to know winners right away or wait so that userbars could be made first (if that goes smoothly)? That's the real question here!
im interested in the winners but go ham either way
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Bean wrote: 2 years ago Okay. I reopened The Mosts section just so you can all post in here. Please no new topics. Just use this thread.

Anyway, I've just completed tallying up all the votes and will get to announcing winners eventually (not for a few days). But I also wanted to make sure that if anyone is doing the userbars or teaming up that you all can post on here about it. I'd send the list of winners to you after I get it all organized. It was done from Page 5 to 1 in terms of counting them up, and I think you all would rather have them in categories. Ha-ha.

Would you all want to know winners right away or wait so that userbars could be made first (if that goes smoothly)? That's the real question here!
i'd say you can release winners right away but put it under spoilers, so people who don't want spoilers for the userbar reveal can wait for the userbars! (also if you want you can literally just DM us at any time--if you're on discourdhaus you defs have our discord @ but if not go ahead and PM me--if we can figure out how to set up that unity applet we could totally help make userbars!)
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Calling it an applet still feels weird since it's not a compiled tool, just project source files you open in the unity editor. But I guess going by the definition of "smaller program that runs in the scope of a larger program" it technically is...?

I recommend downloading the Unity Hub software, which you can think of as the engine's equivalent of the SMBX2 launcher. It'll take a bit longer to get things up and running that way, though, so for the quick and dirty approach here's a direct download link to the installer for the exact Windows version of the editor the project was built for, 2019.4.3f1 (Mac).

Either way, you'll need to set up a Unity account and free personal license and... now that I type this all out it really is kind of a process to get started with this engine these days. Maybe for the 2022 mosts I should see about putting together an actual compiled tool for better accessibility...

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago Maybe for the 2022 mosts I should see about putting together an actual compiled tool for better accessibility...
i mean we admittedly have No Clue how compiling in unity works but surely it wouldn't be... too hard? right? we know compiling varies from "easiest thing ever" (game maker) to "How The Heck Do You Expect This To Work Actually. What The Hell." (there was a c++ class i had to do and it was this) and we dunno where Unity falls on that spectrum.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I miss the days when there was a good website to generate good enough looking userbars :ehh:

The site I used for some of the 2013 userbars is no longer up.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Tangy had a template set up for both the bars and the font back from 2019. I'm going to provide links to what was given to me here. The idea was to have two different colored ones for the normal categories and the joke ones.

Fontstruct: https://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/s ... /mosts-3x5
https://fontstruct.com/fontstructions/s ... /mosts-5x5

And then the userbar template which I put in my Dropbox with an example: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z89qu4y8zcyvbvn

So the general consensus seems to be to announce the winners, so I'll get to that when I have more energy and time. If there are any people interested in making these, let me know here. The other thing is that if there is more than one person available, that there is coordination to make sure the people involved don't make the same bar twice or anything!
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

The problem with the old template is it's a PSD (photoshop) file.

...Though, thinking about it, Krita opens PSDs. idk how much of the formatting will be preserved, but I do know that Krita has equivalents for a lot of photoshop's layer formatting options. I'll give it a try with some of the 2019 userbars I made...

It works. However, the formatting doesn't immediately show up in some files. If a layer has an icon that looks like an arrow over several lines, toggle that off to make the outline, drop shadow, etc. show up.

And with that confirmed, we now have a free option that doesn't require installing an entire game engine! Just an image editor. That's still progress.

Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Well, whatever happens and if any of you want to go through with userbars or not, thanks either way. I'll try to at least have the results up this weekend at some point. Going to have to organize these categories so it's not the completely jumbled mess it is right now. Ha.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago The problem with the old template is it's a PSD (photoshop) file.

hooray! i should also state that Photoshop CS2 (the version i used for this particular template) is abandonware and can be gotten for free legally

also this template, the one i sent Bean a few days ago, is brand new because i lost the old one in my maze of a hard drive :pensive:
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Right, I forgot about CS2. That's an option as well (though iirc the official download page for it is buried pretty deep in Adobe's website.)

I looked around and couldn't find a copy of the 2019 template PSD on my computer or an upload in Discord DMs, but it's possible there's an upload or download link buried somewhere in the discordhaus. I can upload the PSDs for individual 2019 userbars I made if those would be of any help at this point, and for what it's worth I still have the 2017 template PSDs up on google drive.

Spoilered because massive embeds:

If y'all want the modified font with the rounded edges, you can grab it straight from the editor repo without having to download the full project. Here's a direct link to it:
https://github.com/rixithechao/userbar- ... 202017.ttf