(shouting)

Best Anime 2020

It's the Most Mosterful time of the year. Or something. Look, I'll change this heading later.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Best Anime 2020

Post by Kilgamayan »

A convenient list!

I thought that Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! had this in the bag, but then the whole thing original-manga-artist-being-a-pedo thing came to light and that soured me on wanting anything to do with that franchise. Given that, my vote is for Wave, Listen to Me!!, which I fully expect to not win but was probably the show I enjoyed the most this year.

What do you all think was the best anime released this year?
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Re: Best Anime 2020

Post by Gardenolva »

None of the Above because Anime in this era is a dissapointment.
:sanaeko:

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

There was actually a lot of good stuff this year! I could make a Top 10 list and still feel bad about what was left out.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Gardenolva
Void and Voir embraced together...
First name: En Gardevoir
Pronouns: Male

Post by Gardenolva »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago There was actually a lot of good stuff this year! I could make a Top 10 list and still feel bad about what was left out.
To be fair I didn't give them a chance because I don't watch anymore new anime. I just felt that mot anime having different characters and different settings, but they'll end up the same as the other ones. The magic that I have for watching anime is gone since last year. I watched a bit of Demon Slayer last year but I got lazy and stopped at Episode 17. Watching anime to me is now a rare occasion and that magic that I said will never be replicated by the anime of this generation due to what I believe is "sexual innuendo spamming".

A.K.A.: En Gardevoir
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

I vote for "Tonikaku Kawaii." After watching this animation, I thought I should get a wife like Tsukasa-chan. I was happy to see that Nasa-kun and Tsukasa-chan love each other crazy. Tanoshikatta desu!
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

TFW the only anime I actually watched this year is an old one from 1999.

I have heard of Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken! and Brand New Animal being relatively good, but I can't really make the choice seeing as I haven't watched either.

Who has the most?
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Fruits Basket (Season 2)

gonna go with that one
video games
SirChasm
Just here for the music guessing contests.

Post by SirChasm »

Having no knowledge of its content, Woodpecker Detective's Office. Apologies if it is, in fact, pretty bad.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Gardenolva wrote: 3 years ago None of the Above because Anime in this era is a dissapointment.
lol cringe

i havent kept up with seasonal anime in a while so i havent seen much anime from this year tbh
Deca-Dence
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

the anime industry in this era is at arguably its lowest point though, for reasons that many creators have mentioned (CJK, Oshii) (though not gone into detail about as of yet)

akudama drive is the only one i can vote for
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

people have been saying that every year since forever

history will always vindicate the present, as soon as it's the past and only the best works are still noticed

the past also had bad stuff that we forgot. although the past also had less stuff in general, so it was easier to notice the good stuff in realtime

this is the AUS Opinion Hour
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Leet

Post by Leet »

it's not about "quantity of good vs. quantity of bad" it's about whether you as an anime writer/director are actually allowed to make anything or not, which many cannot do anymore no matter how much clout you'd think they have

these are realities of having to work in the jp media industry in general and have nothing to do with fan opinions

in the past, CJK could get lots of work, now he cannot get any. in the past, Mamoru Oshii could get lots of work, now he can bring a film to completion and the production committee won't even announce it. "I wouldn't be allowed to make something like Code Geass nowadays ... I get told, 'Don't put depressing elements in.' [by] the production committee." -Goro Taniguchi
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Gardenolva wrote: 3 years agoNone of the Above
None.

I haven't watched anime in over a year and half, so I can go with that.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Princess Connect! Re:Dive
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago wtf leet's talking about
leet wtf are you talking about
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Not that I'm trying to stop you but I want to remind y'all that if you want to discuss this outside the scope of this event we have an anime thread.
Leet

Post by Leet »

i mean i don't have any response outside of "sorry i forgot that anime fans aren't interested in things like who actually makes the anime and what they have to say about the industry" which i'm pretty used to by now

like to be clear if it's legitimately confusing: multiple people who create anime have spoken about how they don't have freedom to make what they want to make anymore and outright can't find work because of this, so to tackle the idea of "anime is worse now" with "it's all just arbitrary opinions" is ridiculously short-sighted when there are actual conversations to be had about the concrete facts of the industry instead of just what people think is "good" or "bad". the anime being created is irrevocably changed by what voices are in it, and right now weirder voices are not very appreciated by production committees. the anime industry has factually changed, it has not remained the same.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Posted response in the anime thread

As for my vote... I barely watched anything that was this year, and what I recognize in that list is quite limited as I haven't been keeping up, so... Magia Record?
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Switching my vote to Tonikaku Kawaii because it would be legitimately rude as hell for "none" to win due to two votes from people that self-admittedly didn't watch any 2020 shows.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Or the host could just not count them maybe :sparklythings:
Quadro
Heh heh.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Quadro »

Fruits Basket got a second season. I guess that.

"You are loved and you matter, whether you want to or not."
-raocow, 2023

"Wherever you are tonight,
I wish you the best of everything."

-Tom Petty

icon stolen from: