(shouting)

Most Disappointing Game 2019

They're here! They're back! I don't know what to put here. The Mosts exist, so let's do this!
Bean
Yep.

Most Disappointing Game 2019

Post by Bean »

It could've been better, but it wasn't. Not necessarily the worst, but what game is the one that just let you down the most this year?
Mata Hari
https://matahari.talkhaus.com/

Re: Most Disappointing Game 2019

Post by Mata Hari »

I would say Google Stadia but I don't think it could be called disappointing if no-one was expecting it to be good

also it's not a game
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Yoshi's Crafted World

Woolly World was brilliant and had a great soundtrack. Crafted was okay in the end, but it tried to mix some 3D stuff in there that just didn't click while the game's music was very poor overall.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Anthem.

Back in February or so, the game was mass-advertised to the point I saw it on billboards and bus stops. It's supposed to be open world exploration and combat in flying Javelin suits, which honestly looks fun and was praised. But once it was out, it was a bugfest, had structural problems with game mechanics (such as the loot system), and contained a sense of "not much to do". It showed clearly that it was released prematurely before it was ready. BioWare, the game company that created this, apparently didn't know what kind of game to make and later rushed much of its development.

It didn't help that its share of the spotlight was being teamkilled by a fellow EA game - everyone was busy playing Apex Legends - that after a month or two, people at large just stopped paying attention to Anthem. Admittedly, early on I saw side-by-side videos of both games get uploaded by streamers (and virtual youtubers), but it didn't take long for Anthem to fade from the public consciousness while the other game continued on in popularity.

Half a year after release, the playerbase for Anthem was so low that it was hard to find enough players for proper team experience. BioWare scrapped its roadmap for future content, more than once, and despite the EA CEO envisioning it on a "seven to ten year cycle", EA mostly stopped talking about the game shortly after that. The big upcoming event, Cataclysm, was delayed amid silence for a while, and when it did get presented and eventually released, the reception was that it didn't live up to expectations. Some good things about the event, but not enough to salvage the game.

Well, at least EA and BioWare recently seem to be planning a complete overhaul of the game, so we'll see.
Last edited by ano0maly 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair

should've been a good game in concept but the level design just did not vibe with me at all and i ended up disliking it a fair bit
i'm apparently alone in this one though
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
SirChasm
Just here for the music guessing contests.

Post by SirChasm »

I will also vote for Yoshi's Crafted World.
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Probably a controversial opinion but: Kingdom Hearts 3

It really didn't do it for me. The worlds and story felt somewhat hollow to me and I didn't really get the experience I thought I'd get paying for this game full price when now it's been consistently on sale for like 15-20 bucks. Also the fact that I got the limited edition PS4 Pro for this game makes it especially sting more.

I hope the new DLC gives it something worthwhile.

Who has the most?
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Oh yeah, me too about kingdom hearts 3. I still enjoyed it but it might be my least favorite in the series.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Nast

Post by Nast »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago Oh yeah, me too about kingdom hearts 3. I still enjoyed it but it might be my least favorite in the series.
Last edited by Nast 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
konaa
ultimate poser

Post by konaa »

Bean wrote: 4 years ago Yoshi's Crafted World

Woolly World was brilliant and had a great soundtrack. Crafted was okay in the end, but it tried to mix some 3D stuff in there that just didn't click while the game's music was very poor overall.
Maybe I'm being dramatic, but I remember the sense of sadness and dread that set in when I was partway through the first few levels. I wasn't expecting a masterpiece, but I distinctly remember thinking "oh... is this all it's gonna be?"
BurntTenda
defeat four ducks
Pronouns: she/they

Post by BurntTenda »

Kingdom Hearts 3

I still loved the game, it wasnt quite as good as I hoped it would be.
I don't know if I'd put it as my least favorite, because Dream Drop Distance exists.
Something goes here sometime.
Oh yeah, I have a Youtube channel
Arrietty
Smol like a frend.
First name: Arrietty

Post by Arrietty »

I have not played too many 2019 games but playing the Yoshi's Crafted World demo, while it was fine, heard not so great things about the full game. But on top of that, the game's resolution was god awful on handheld. But yeah, everything else I've played this year was not disappointing to me, so it defaults to Yoshi's Crafted World for me. The fact it doesn't even stack up to Woolly World, not even close, not even OST-wise, makes it more disappointing to me :(

EDIT: wtf happened to emotes?
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

Arrietty wrote: 4 years agoEDIT: wtf happened to emotes?
This did. They used to be super huge, now they're super thin!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

On my end, all emotes have remained exactly the same as usual so I don't really know what this is
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

Gonna have to go with Yoshi's Crafted World, it just didn't have the magic or focus that Woolly World had.
Yoshi Ambassador!