(shouting)

Jappio's Sprites

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Tylur

Re: Jappio's Sprites

Post by Tylur »

I'm just in LOVE with Ganondorf and the Pokémon sprites!
If or when you make a hack with the Pokémon, I would LOVE to try it!
(If you already have disregard that last sentence.)
BOLDItalicUNDERLINE!
ImageImageImageImage
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

I'm not actually making a hack. I'm merely editing the sprites. I am planning to leave level design and all that jazz to someone else, as I don't want to bother learning all the hacking tricks.

Another bored day in class, another random sprite. This time around I try Paper Mario style and made an Octorok. I'll probably make a couple more things in this style, but probably will only bother while in class, cause actually school work is lame.

Also have Episodes 2 and 3 uploaded now of my critique thing.
Lightning is the ultimate force. All shall bow to the might of Lightning, or it will strike you down.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Here I am again making Fakemon that aren't my own. I need to learn to work on my own things once and awhile =P

The first one has two sizes because I wasn't sure which I liked better. Probably an inbetween would be best, but I think those two work fine. I can claim one is 3rd gen and the other is 4th gen =P

Based on the designs of Nikkiboy029:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/ ... ited-3.png
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/ ... marout.png

Now as some of you know I don't take requests. However this guy was awesome enough to make this for me:
http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a254/ ... ited-2.png
so I couldn't help but offer up a gift for him in return. I may do the 3rd evolution of his grass starter line if I get the time. I may even upload the video of me making the 2nd form eventually too.

Seriously though. When I first stumbled onto the thread with my little Blitzby all drawn up I was freaking. I never before have received free art like this, so randomly. Every other time I've either art traded or it was between friends. This is in a way like fan art, and that just flattered me beyond belief. So as a spriter, I feel I've in some way have crossed a milestone. I have now had something I made been so well liked someone wanted to draw it themselves.
Lightning is the ultimate force. All shall bow to the might of Lightning, or it will strike you down.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

A small, but at the same time new splice sheet. This time around I have just a few things I felt like doing. Lt. Raichu was for a contest, tied for 2nd =D Ash from Evil Dead was a request from a friend of mine. The others were just things I made. The lack of requests does seem to shrink the size of my sheets by the seems of it too =P

Oh also I love my grass dragon. I consider it one of my personal bests =D

This is just something I did while bored. No real purpose, just felt like spriting something, and the thing that came to my mind was a porcupine, although the quills are a bit short so some might see it more of a hedgehog. I honestly don't care.

Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Lately I felt I haven't done anything quite big enough. I needed to do something special. I've gone from project to project. I've done a few different things. However now is the time I think I'm ready for a bit of a turning point. I wanted to do a sprite that I could feel gauged my abilities, and was at the same time significant. I know I do a lot of Pokemon stuff, but Pokemon isn't my favorite thing ever. No The Legend of Zelda is. So to help have me reach a new mile stone, I made this:

I used a style that was used in some random game I found out about while trying to figure a style. it's called CapcomXNamco (Caught my eye because of the Tales of Characters I saw =P). I may or may not do a cool animation in the future. So really I am looking for any kind of comment here: CnC, comments, critique, whatever!
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Got some info on my sprite in a few spots, so I've made updates. I'm liking a lot how it's turning out, but I fear I'm probably not done with it. Comments and criticisms are still very much welcome.

Edit:

Ok I actually did a tad more messing around with the face. Different angle obviously. Lost the Cyclops look in the least. I tried fixing the pose up too.

kilon

Post by kilon »

I prefer the first one. In the second one you may see the whole face, but the eyes look to round or something. And the hair of the first one comes out better.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

More Super Poke' World stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5HTPhwbheM
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Well a couple of splices I've been working on. The bottom ones are the first 3 of 8 that I'm doing for a contest I've been waiting for. Hopefully I can get the next 5 for it done some time soon.

Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Have a nice healthy sized sheet finally. Nothing to really mentioned except I've grown a new dislike for Scizor and Scyther. That evolution line is way too over requested.

kilon

Post by kilon »

What can I say but Gastly + Ho-OH + Gengar is awesome! I want one.
paste

Post by paste »

Fun stuff! You have any animated sprites?
Love, paste
BARF!
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

I do have a couple, here are some links:
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/ ... sesDig.gif
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/ ... sKirby.gif
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/ ... naDeal.gif
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/ ... Raizou.gif
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/ ... upunch.gif
http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r15/ ... imitri.gif

There is of course also all the sprites I'm doing for Super Mario World, but I don't bother to turn those into a GIF. My video shows off their animation well though since it's all in game.

More splices. I really need to work on something other than splicing, I'm sure they bore most of you.

Jappio

Post by Jappio »

I promise next time the sprites I show off won't be splices anymore.

Menshay

Post by Menshay »

Very nice splices. What's the red fireball replacement (above Mantyke) in the Pokémon/SMW sheet in your first post? (Gligar, maybe?)
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

It's suppose to be Magmar actually...

I definitely became stumped when it came to potobols. I really wanted to find something that would make since jumping out of Lava. I'll probably use Slugmas, but I haven't fully decided.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

More work done on my Link sprite. As you can see I'm going for a spin move animation. Finished two new frames for it. I will obviously add more frames in between and enough to obviously finish the whole move. I'll also need to make some glow and stuff for it.

Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Well all new Super Poke World stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTSSmZfb_bQ
Arson

Post by Arson »

This is great. Really, really great. Heaven piercing great.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Thanks Arson, I will forever believe in the you who believes in that sprite =D

Wow, been quite some time since I've gotten anything finished.

More work on the Link sprite. I got two more frames, and now I was able to make a sort of beta animation. Now I do plan on making more frames. I'm thinking either a frame ever 60 or 45 degrees of the spin. I might get lazy and do some more blurring and less detail work, because having to always reshade and redo every little detail in each of these frames is a pain.

Here are the stilled frames for those who want to look at them more closely.

As always, I would love any comments or critisism you can give. I'm giving these sprites my all, but I know that probably won't be enough.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

New Pokeworld video. Not much more to say than that I guess:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ8bZsZvboA
limepie20

Post by limepie20 »

I always love work of spriters and your no exception. These are just amazing.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Thank you =D

Oh look, some new PokeWorld stuff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_22s1V3XukM

Oh also a sprite I did for an art exchange. Original design made by DeviantArt user `alexiuss.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

I've been asked a couple of times if I could do a tutorial on scratching sprites, sort of like I've done with splicing. I usually turned those people away, saying "I'm not a good enough spriter to teach scratching yet." Well I don't think I'm all that better yet, but I think I'm good enough that I could make a decent tutorial for it, even if I'm not a pro yet.

I will be doing a Fakemon as the example sprite for it, but hopefully I'll make the tutorial in a way that will apply to most sprite styles. I've written up a sort of rough outline for how I'd do it. It would be multiple videos, all split up into these categories. I know if I make it too long most won't want to follow, but I really want to hit on all points that I can.

Sorry this isn't me posting anything that could be consider true content. I haven't gotten any finished sprites to show since I've been jumping between projects and don't have anything that's ready to show quite yet for that.

Intro
- What is Spriting
- What it can be used for
- Scratching
- Overview of tutorial
- Explain what I'll be doing
- Explain I'll be making a Fakemon, but I'll do my best to explain other styles too as I go along

Concept/Planning
- Start off by explaining people should have a plan
- What will be the purpose of the sprite?
- Go over styles and games that they might choose from
- Show that starting with a hand drawn doodle can be a good way to start off
- Show off doodles and planning stages I have for the example

Basic Form/Line Art
- Introduce them to MS Paint
- Should explain programs like YY-CHR and others for game sprites alterations
- Start by showing two methods of basic form
- Blotchy method
- Doodly method
- Saving as .PNG
- Describe things like how to do curves
- Explain that looking at examples can help
- Fixing up and double checking stuff

Coloring and Shading
- Color choice
- Palettes
- Light sources
- Saving as .PNG
- Textures
- Form through shading

Finishing Touches and Posting
- Check around for errors and fixes that can be done
- Saving as .PNG
- Presentation choices
- Uploading
- Posting
- Dealing with critique and responses
- Closing

Since I am doing this to teach others, I do not mind at all if anyone makes comments on my plan so far for this. If you think there is something else I should include or explain, let me know, and I'll see if I can get it added.