(shouting)

Jappio's Sprites

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Jappio's Sprites

Post by Hoeloe »

BobisOnlyBob wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:The ease is slightly off. You'll want it to be moving fastest just as it leaves/before it hits the ground.
This is exactly right, there's currently three frames of it in contact with the ground. If it's meant to be like a living slime that's okay, generating its own force from within, but if it's meant to be like a bouncy ball, it should probably be just the one squashed frame.
It's not so much that, as that, as you said, depends on what look you're trying to achieve. The gravity in the animation is all wrong, though, which was what I was trying to get at. When it leaves the ground, it's moving quite slowly, then it speeds up, then slows down again, and does the same on the way back down. That's incredibly unnatural movement. Its speed should decrease linearly as it goes up, and increase linearly as it comes back down, with the point of highest velocity being just before it hits the ground and just after it leaves it.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Thanks for the comments guys, I really appreciate it =)

Ok, so moving on:

For the RPG I'm helping make, I figured I'd use my next step of practice on it. Battle sprites of course need to be made, so I decided to take the protagonist and make him an attack animation.

So obviously, I'm not done. However I'm at a crucial stage right now. Obviously I need to actually sprite the character, and not just his skeleton. Beyond the obvious lack of details though, I need to decide where to speed things up, slow things down, and add frames. This is all a very rough 'WIP' and I'm just sort of looking for some second opinions.

I know I need a frame for bridging between the last and first frames. I'm not sure where to go for the slices though. More frames might slow it down too much. I know animation wise, more would be nice, but on a sprite/game level you don't typically want too many frames in a movement like that, right?

I'm also unsure on things like the poses through them. I did my best to act out these actions, and those are what I felt I was doing, but I'm also not an official sword/axeman.

Oh well, that's why I'm taking a moment to stop an get some thoughts if possible, or in the very least let my head clear and come back to it.

Lightning is the ultimate force. All shall bow to the might of Lightning, or it will strike you down.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

One thing you can do with attack animations, which is rather counter-intuitive is to remove intermediate frames during the actual attack, and describe the motion with the trail only. This gives a stronger sense of power behind the attack, as the motion looks smooth and fast. Other than that, the posing looks pretty good, and you've got the whole recoil thing down nicely, which is one thing people tend to get wrong.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Oh yay, Talkhaus is back =D

Not sure what I had posted before, so I'll just post most of my recent stuff here:

Some of those dumb little Fakemon I make.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5psTATW6zY
I finished up the fox guy, more or less. This is just a badly put together mock up to sort of show what it's supposed to be like.

I updated my Raizou sprite to look a bit better. Going with the dark variant.

Here is the animation I'm going to use for it, next step is detailing of course.
Lightning is the ultimate force. All shall bow to the might of Lightning, or it will strike you down.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

I have done 3 of the 6 frames I need. I'm halfway there...

Hazelnut

Post by Hazelnut »

on the pokemon sprites, apparently dry spinies and dry bones share the cumbling frames, so you might have to make dry spiny a cubone. (maybe it hilds its bone up?$
spatula
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

I'm still tinkering with that. Omastar makes for such a good Dry-Spiny though. Lots of tinkering to do though, so I'll come to a conclusion eventually that'll make the bone crumble work. Thanks for the advice =)

-----------

Well, I got all 6 frames (11 with repeat) completed for the most part. Still have smaller details to work with, like the shading on the axe, adding details like his chains if I can get them to work. Yet that's all minor stuff I'll get to another time. The animation itself though I think is done, at least I'm hoping it is.

This was quite a process to finish, but I'm pretty happy with the result. Probably the best sprite I've done. Sadly I have to keep this up for another 6 characters, and these are just the basic attack animation -_-
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Look, another set of some redone Fakemon.

Also a bit more tweaks with Raizou. Still not done with them though.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Finally did work with the blur. I also worked on his head too. So, again I'm at a "I think I have it done" stage. If I'm all good at this point, I can go in next to do the finer detailing.

I really hope the other characters don't end up needing 9 frames of each (16 or so with repeat). So jealous of things that can get away with less.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Decided not to put the chains, I couldn't do them in a way I liked. Got to the axe though, and the animation is now complete!

Time to move onto the next guy, the Jiangshi with that big, goof, blood-thirsty grin, Shun-Yu!

Jappio

Post by Jappio »

A new collection of PokeWorld stuff. Banzai Bill is obviously a tough one to edit, but I like what I got:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfjvJ-hp-3s

I also have some footage of remaking another of my Fakemon, the Venomoth evolution:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0ULM9yTDEw
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Ok, been busy on another project (level contest), so I haven't had much time with this one. Right now I'm still in the very early stages of the attack I'm doing for Shun-Yu.

Yes, very choppy and bad, but I just wanted to test out what it might look like. I'm even trying to do a few poses in front of a camera to get all the details I can when I finally move forward with this one.

On a more serious update: I made up the base sprite for Shroomette, the character that may or may not be a rip-off of a certain character. Here she is with the whole gang so far.

Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

I really enjoy the eye of detail and (especially) the smooth finishing you have with these sprites. 't gives them that lovely "official entry" touch, if you get what I mean.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Well, I haven't been updating, but let's change that. I'm actually getting pretty close to the end with this one.

Obviously I still need to add things like his ponytail back and you know, detailing those last two frames better. Hopefully I'm on the right track with this sprite.

I also have some more Fakemon here, the last batch of evolutions/splits/babies of older Pokemon.

I am now at a point where the last things I have to do are going to be all knew (I've dropped some old designs, so I'm going to be filling those spots with new Fakemon).
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Well, I now have Shun-Yu done, seemingly at least.

Also the new LP has of course gotten me interested in going back and continuing work:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuDO-ore6F8

Super Pika Land has me jealous. I don't know how, but the maker is ignoring a lot of the limitations I'm stuck with, like palette choice and stuff. I'm guessing the maker wasn't editing them in just YY, but rather had the hacking/programming knowledge to like make every enemy custom... I really don't know how it all works clearly, I don't even know how to explain what I think he's doing =P
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Well, a very minor update for Shun-Yu:

Yet more importantly we have Shroomette! Isn't it cute how she's... spreading spores?
Very rough still, going to add a number of extra frames, two to the crouching probably and a few for while she's airborne and such. Also will have to make the spore glitter a little, maybe make some bigger ones.
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

For Shroomette's animation, you may want to have a look at the "Mushboom" enemies from Secret of Mana for the Snes. There's some really nice particle usage for spores, in that game.
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Thanks, I'll definitely take a look into that when I start working on the special effects for attacks and such. For now, just sticking with a very basic looking effect.

Took awhile, but I'm quite happy with the result.

Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Now, I've got some more work done on the Black/White mage of the party, Ray.

First a very basic idea of what her spell casting animation will be like:

However, as I was planning this out, I got some useful critique on her general design. So the above is really just a basic idea. More frames will be needed of course. Below, I have her new base sprite that I will be working off of:

Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Perhaps you could help out with the Talkhaus Revolution? These look great!
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

I was actually invited to join that project, but I just don't have the time to jump onto a project of that scale, especially when I have so little practice in Fire Emblem's style.

Ray is both a white mage and black mage. She specializes in single target spells. She is devoted to her religion. She is confident in battle, not being the type to hurt overs, but when she needs to, she can hold her own.
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

The famed mimic Vargas joins the team! A mysterious man with the ability to copy the moves of foes and allies! Here, he's performing his basic sword attack...

Or rather, the basic frames I'm planning. Going to need some inbetweens, and you know... details. Yet it's the basic plan so far.

ImageImage
Jappio

Post by Jappio »

Some more work complete. Not quite done yet, a frame or two are still needed I'm feeling, not sure how many yet though.

sonicspin
wishes
Banned
First name: t
Pronouns: whatever

Post by sonicspin »

needs more landing
d̀͢͏̷͢ȩ̢͡͞͠-̸̢͟҉g̶̡͟͞҉e͞͏͞͞͠n͢҉e̸̛͠͞r͟á̡͠͡ţ̛́͜i̧̛o̵̢ń̴͠͝͝
dA
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

I saw your thread on Pixelation.

Egh... I am not a fan of that "community", though I do keep my eyes open for new faces. The people on that site seem to have a liking to telling others that they're "wrong", even if what they're producing is a stylistic choice, or something that they aren't experienced with, yet.

I've even seen certain others, up and yell at new people for their inexperience, or for an obvious language barrier. Which doesn't sit well with me.

In fact, I've called out a few of the older members on their spreading of bad habits.
I'm not going to list names. Though they are the so-called "professionals" of the site.

My only critique, is that the animation could use a little more energy to it.
Down more, on the build-up, maybe an extra preparation frame.
There's no landing, but I'm going you assume that you simply haven't started on that part, yet.

I can provide some simple keys for you, If you would like. Just to give an idea of what I'm blathering about.
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: