(shouting)

GenesisJames' Cute Girls Club

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
GenesisJames
Music reviewer and drawer of cute girls.

Re: GenesisJames' Cute Girls Club

Post by GenesisJames »

Pashmina

If you know, you know

GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Bijou

All hail the blue ribbons

AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

!!!!!!!!!!!!
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Inugami Korone-san

YUBI YUBI

Gonna try to draw more regularly; thinking three drawings a week is a good goal

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

GenesisJames wrote: 3 years ago Inugami Korone-san

YUBI YUBI
Yes my doggo!
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago Yes my doggo!
BEST DOGGO!!
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Awoo »

GenesisJames wrote: 3 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago Yes my doggo!
BEST DOGGO!!
A dog girl is fine too :pal:

awoo

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Awoo wrote: 3 years ago A dog girl is fine too :pal:

awoo

We have so many resident doggos!
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Nue Houjuu

A real life UFO

GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Just realized I forgot to post this! The choker herself, Furen E. Lustario in her casual outfit

GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Remilia Scarlet

The Scarlet Devil

Practical
aaaaaahhhHHHH
First name: jay
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Practical »

yeah these are some really cute girls, they make me gay oof, not that I already am
Tone indicators : /j= joking, /srs= serious, /lh= light-hearted, /s= sarcastic
Get it, Let it roll!
[/b]My main YT: https://www.youtube.com/c/ChicaMario64/featured
krakin.carrd.org
My Switch friend code: SW-1004-3051-8456
http://www.n-masters.com/mariokartlicen ... p?id=11224

selective mutism is a nuisance
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Practical wrote: 3 years ago yeah these are some really cute girls, they make me gay oof, not that I already am
Thank you thank you! They are here to be loved, after all!!
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

A commission I did for Awoo! It’s Momiji Inubashiri, our favorite Canadian tengu!!

GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Reisen Udongein Inaba

This started as a simple practice sketch but I ended up liking it so much that I decided to run with it; it wasn’t even originally gonna be Reisen lmao

But hey, moon rabbits work in mysterious ways

GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Tabooless Basket

Greater Devil of Forbidden Fruit (and also one of my favorite shmup final bosses ever lmao)

GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

*REPOST* Had to do a few minor tweaks to proportions and stuff to make it look better!

I finally made a character sheet for one of my OCs! Ciara’s a lunatic, but she’s MY lunatic~

GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Another character sheet, this time for my OC Nora! She’s probably my cutest character tbh

GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

Sami

I fell in love with her when Nintendo revealed the Advance Wars remake during E3. She's now my wife.

... it's just too bad that I hate the gameplay style of Advance Wars so I'll never play it lmao

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

9001st post get
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years ago ... it's just too bad that I hate the gameplay style of Advance Wars so I'll never play it lmao
talkhaus struggle tweets

a shame but i understand, turn based strategy can be quite dense for people who are more into actiony stuff like shmups, battles can take like 10 minutes a pop in a strategy rpg even. i'm only into them because i love the idea of jrpg chess wrt games like arc the lad, tactics ogre, brigandine, utawarerumono, shining force, summon night (non-swordcraft) etc and puzzling out a battle strategy seems fun for me.

even in the late 90s it seemed that even hardcore jrpg fans found turn based strategy too much for most of them.

i'm personally super gay for max, the blue haired dogi ass (dogi from ys) himbo, did not know advance wars had such a cute character in it. at least, other than forsythe from dark days, i already knew him from xenesis' jul avatar (i think she changed it to nell alongside her discord avatar), forsythe is a really cute gilf

anyway, the pic is extremely cute, she has a very warm expression, fitting since you have a crush on her and all. do you believe that love can bloom in the battlefield? with cuties like max, sami and forsythe, definitely, absolutely.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago 9001st post get

talkhaus struggle tweets

a shame but i understand, turn based strategy can be quite dense for people who are more into actiony stuff like shmups, battles can take like 10 minutes a pop in a strategy rpg even. i'm only into them because i love the idea of jrpg chess wrt games like arc the lad, tactics ogre, brigandine, utawarerumono, shining force, summon night (non-swordcraft) etc and puzzling out a battle strategy seems fun for me.

even in the late 90s it seemed that even hardcore jrpg fans found turn based strategy too much for most of them.

i'm personally super gay for max, the blue haired dogi ass (dogi from ys) himbo, did not know advance wars had such a cute character in it. at least, other than forsythe from dark days, i already knew him from xenesis' jul avatar (i think she changed it to nell alongside her discord avatar), forsythe is a really cute gilf

anyway, the pic is extremely cute, she has a very warm expression, fitting since you have a crush on her and all. do you believe that love can bloom in the battlefield? with cuties like max, sami and forsythe, definitely, absolutely.
Yeah, I tried getting into them a while back, even with newbie-friendly games like Fire Emblem, but I just couldn't do it. It's even sort of putting me off of the Octopath Traveler sequel, but I'm still gonna get that one just because I love the first one. I still need to try the demo for that, haha. Turn-based RPGs in general are kinda hit-or-miss with me to begin with, since I mainly only gravitate to Pokémon, Octopath, the Mario & Luigi series, and a few others. I DO think the new SMT game looks interesting, though; I'll be picking that up. I definitely prefer action RPGs or the real-time stuff that Xenoblade does.

Thanks for the kind words on the pic! I thought she was super cute (crop tops always get me lol) and she seemed to have a really fun personality from the trailer and what I read on the wiki. Max also looks like a lot of fun; I feel they seriously amped up his himbo-ness with the new art style lmao
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

GenesisJames wrote: 2 years ago Yeah, I tried getting into them a while back, even with newbie-friendly games like Fire Emblem, but I just couldn't do it. It's even sort of putting me off of the Octopath Traveler sequel, but I'm still gonna get that one just because I love the first one. I still need to try the demo for that, haha.
Fire Emblem is newbie friendly? (only played five minutes of Thracia so far lol)

Shining Force was the first one I beat since I had already tried like the first few minutes of it as a kid, but Arc the Lad 1&2 were what got me hooked, the first three Arc the Lad games at least are especially light on menu navigation which makes battles pretty brisk compared to a lot of SRPGs, at the least there's only selecting abilities, item usage and ending unit turns.

Need to actually play past the intro in Kishin Fukkatsu once I finish 3, then start Twilight of the Spirits. R is a gacha SRPG, an okay one at that with a terrible localization, and End of Darkness is an Action RPG and a lot of people don't really like it haha.
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years ago Turn-based RPGs in general are kinda hit-or-miss with me to begin with, since I mainly only gravitate to Pokémon, Octopath, the Mario & Luigi series, and a few others. I DO think the new SMT game looks interesting, though; I'll be picking that up. I definitely prefer action RPGs or the real-time stuff that Xenoblade does.
Eh valid. I used to be exclusively into Pokémon because of the colorful and varied monster designs as a kid and that a lot of big boy RPGs usually took up a lot of time, so I ended up losing interest, haha. What actually got me into playing FFIV, later V, Chrono Trigger and Soul Blazer, was actually Brutal Mario. FFV sold me on non-Pokémon RPGs with how great the journey felt, but the other three helped a bit as well. I did have a point in time where I didn't like FFIV because I liked V so much and I can only say to cub!lion/Koba, "you are an idiot, FFIV is a masterpiece".

Shin Megami Tensei is usually super hard so, huge warning for that, haha. I think Persona's pretty tough too, haven't played those yet, but the mainline MegaTen games are balls to the wall, the Soulsborne of their day. Blobbers/Dungeon Crawlers just be that way though, when it comes to the MegaTens that apply.

Action RPGs seem to be a bit more varied to me, they have to feel good to play for me to get super into them. If they're fun to play and beating up enemies feels good, then I can get into something even as basic as Hydlide 3 and Ys II. If it feels really clunky, like Secret of Mana, then I'm less fond of it. I do wanna replay SoM sometime to check my stance on it these days. Waiting for your attack to charge to 100% after a swing is really annoying, though. I think Evermore had it too, but I love Evermore, so ???? Trials is also super good, especially because they dropped the semi-cooldown/attack efficiency meter.

Legend of Mana is really basic on that end that beating up enemies even feels like a beat 'em up like Streets of Rage or Final Fight with weapons than anything, but the story, cast and worldbuilding sells it for me, it's legit one of the most beautiful games I've ever played. Popful Mail's Sega CD version by Sega Falcom also felt Just Right in terms of gameplay, a good evolution of early side scrolling RPGs like Zelda II and the like. You could consider Castlevania: SotN and other Metroidvanias with RPG elements sidescrolling RPGs too, which I kind of do too, but I like Popful Mail's level-based structure and brisk attacking more, the only blemish is that the English version is bullshit hard from what I've heard (played Japanese).

Also the whole gag dub thing, which can work with a game like Popful, but the authors, Working Designs, had a tendency to do punch down humor, mentally disabled jokes are common in their repertoire until like the PSX era, I think. Outside of that, I just think some of the gag dub is unfunny (one of the characters is just Arnold Schwarzenegger, like a Rainier Wolfcastle that's been beat to death), but really, that's subjective.

Kingdom Hearts is also a game where I love the gameplay and the story feels interesting. Like yeah the story is complete bullshit, but I like how vague it is, it can be open to a lot of interpretation, like an actually good piece of literature. I like believing the Heart represents the soul, Darkness represents negative emotions like depression and grief, Kingdom Hearts (the object) is the borderline between being a broken person and recovery... It's actually really fun, when you think about it that way. Fun fact: Mansex Xemnas is also voiced by Leomon???? (also Beast King from OPM who they absolutely went for a Leomon reference in the dub of the anime). You would probs find Aqua and Larxene especially cute. Luxord's design gets me everytime, personally.

Crystalis is also a surprising instance of SNK doing an RPG, the only one I know of other than this is the SamSho RPG, which I intend to play the Neo Geo CD version soonish, and it plays especially well, taking up after Ys but with button/swing combat instead of touch damage. It's one of my favorite NES RPGs. Tales, the Swordcraft Story trilogy and Star Ocean are also really fun to play, even if Star Ocean 1 has really bad plot pacing. My kingdom for an extended cut of SO1. Terranigma is also a classic, even if some parts of the game feel a bit clunky or hard to parse in terms of gameplay. It has the distinct artsy, joie de vivre feel I expect from games like Ico and Journey.
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years ago Thanks for the kind words on the pic! I thought she was super cute (crop tops always get me lol) and she seemed to have a really fun personality from the trailer and what I read on the wiki. Max also looks like a lot of fun; I feel they seriously amped up his himbo-ness with the new art style lmao
'Twas nothing. And focus on beef and chonk are always important. My favorite Tekken boys are Bob and King for a reason (my fave gal is Alisa).

Image Image
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Fire Emblem is newbie friendly? (only played five minutes of Thracia so far lol)
I only say that because it seems like it's what gets a lot of people into the genre; the fact that Awakening and Three Houses were so popular made me think that a lot of people could kinda just pick it up and go from there without much experience with those kind of games. Some are definitely harder, though; I remember playing Shadow Dragon and losing units left and right, and the permadeath really frustrated me lmao
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Eh valid. I used to be exclusively into Pokémon because of the colorful and varied monster designs as a kid and that a lot of big boy RPGs usually took up a lot of time, so I ended up losing interest, haha.
Yeah, the sheer variety is why I like Pokémon, even if the series isn't as fleshed out as other RPG series. I like the fact that it's simple and previous knowledge can help you in the new games. I think its main problem is that Game Freak think they have to put out a new game every year. I still have fun with all of them and I think the series does some pretty cool things these days, but you can tell that they rush to get them out without polishing them as much as they probably should be. I think I also like it because the world itself is pretty unique; a lot of RPGs go for that medieval fantasy vibe, which is a bit stale for me now. I'm more of a sci-fi guy to begin with, so it has to be really special like Octopath for me to be interested if it has that fantasy theme. Probably why I'm interested in the new SMT; I definitely heard that the series was difficult, but it looks pretty engaging too, so we'll see how I fare! The Mario & Luigi series is among my favorites because they made the genius move of making it turn-based while also incorporating skill in the way of being able to dodge enemy attacks. It's so unique and the blend of styles is great.
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Action RPGs seem to be a bit more varied to me, they have to feel good to play for me to get super into them. If they're fun to play and beating up enemies feels good, then I can get into something even as basic as Hydlide 3 and Ys II. If it feels really clunky, like Secret of Mana, then I'm less fond of it. I do wanna replay SoM sometime to check my stance on it these days. Waiting for your attack to charge to 100% after a swing is really annoying, though. I think Evermore had it too, but I love Evermore, so ???? Trials is also super good, especially because they dropped the semi-cooldown/attack efficiency meter.
I definitely agree with that; I feel like the more real-time RPGs work better with series like Xenoblade where positioning and other mechanics make up for the time you need to wait for attacks to recharge. It almost feels more like an MMO sometimes, which works for the format since it has a nice balance of speed and strategy if you really set up your builds well. The SNES era had a lot of cool ideas with stuff like Mana and Evermore, but I feel they couldn't fully commit to them due to hardware limitations and lack of any real precedent/blueprint for games like that. It's the same reason why Chrono Trigger doesn't do much for me either. I watched RoahmMythril's playthrough of Evermore and thought the game would work really well if they remade it nowadays, especially if they used a FF7 Remake style of gameplay. That gameplay style actually has me interested in the remake and FFXV when I'm not normally into Final Fantasy at all lol

The World Ends With You is an action RPG that lends itself really well to the format, with a crazy and fast-paced battle system that takes the boredom out of RPGs for me. Kingdom Hearts is absolutely a great example of an action RPG done well (one of my favorite series!). People rag on the story and like you said it's absolutely nutty sometimes, but the fact that it's delivered with so much genuine passion makes it a lot of fun lmao. I agree that the story is kinda vague on purpose; to be fair, Nomura's storytelling is... strange to say the least, since he's almost so keen on world-building where he builds things up so much that he doesn't know how to end them properly, haha. I LOVE his characters and ideas, though. 358/2 Days is my favorite game in the series since it focuses so much on the Organization, the conceptual side of Nobodies and Kingdom Hearts, and the best trio of Roxas, Axel, and Xion! Not counting the main trio, Luxord is definitely my favorite member, but I actually really like Marluxia as well.

The SoulsBorne series has by far some of my favorite games of all time; it's one of the most perfect examples of the type of action RPGs that I like. Sekiro specifically hit all the right notes for me. Super looking forward to playing the rest of the games in the series as well as Elden Ring. FromSoft has a firm grip on me at this point lol
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

GenesisJames wrote: 2 years ago I only say that because it seems like it's what gets a lot of people into the genre; the fact that Awakening and Three Houses were so popular made me think that a lot of people could kinda just pick it up and go from there without much experience with those kind of games. Some are definitely harder, though; I remember playing Shadow Dragon and losing units left and right, and the permadeath really frustrated me lmao
Thracia 776 is the hardest of them all, so! I started it partially as a goof, but also partially To Test My Abilities /itachi

Arc and Shining Force don't have permadeath, of the SRPGs I've played (Arc, Shining Force, main series!Summon Night, Ryo Akiyama!Digimon, Bahamut Lagoon), the only one with permadeath was FF Tactics and a lot of that game's units are blank slate randos. Still need to beat it sometime. I also liked all SRPGs I played except for Bahamut Lagoon, the tactics were very samey in that game, clear out most of the enemies with your dragons, draw them back when necessary, then go ham on the main boss of the stage. Daphila (sp? the desert lagoon) was the only part I had trouble with. Also its jokes feel a lot more vulgar and mean, which wasn't my thing.
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years ago Yeah, the sheer variety is why I like Pokémon, even if the series isn't as fleshed out as other RPG series. I like the fact that it's simple and previous knowledge can help you in the new games. I think its main problem is that Game Freak think they have to put out a new game every year. I still have fun with all of them and I think the series does some pretty cool things these days, but you can tell that they rush to get them out without polishing them as much as they probably should be.
I feel like a lot of that is also TPC's problem and not exclusively Game Freak. I'd love to see Game Freak do more non-Pokémon games even if Little Town Hero bombed hard (still wanna check it out).
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years agoI think I also like it because the world itself is pretty unique; a lot of RPGs go for that medieval fantasy vibe, which is a bit stale for me now. I'm more of a sci-fi guy to begin with, so it has to be really special like Octopath for me to be interested if it has that fantasy theme.
Yeah I want to play more sci-fi JRPGs that pull it off well. Star Ocean tends to take place in backwater medieval planets. Phantasy Star is alright, but 2 feels surprisingly clunkier than the first game on SMS, and I heard 3 is just a huge mess. 4 is apparently solid gold though? Online is a fun ride, I need to get back into it.
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years agoProbably why I'm interested in the new SMT; I definitely heard that the series was difficult, but it looks pretty engaging too, so we'll see how I fare! The Mario & Luigi series is among my favorites because they made the genius move of making it turn-based while also incorporating skill in the way of being able to dodge enemy attacks. It's so unique and the blend of styles is great.
Do check out Legend of Dragoon and Shadow Hearts if you like timing puzzles in your turn based RPGs, they're the first ones to come to mind beyond the Mario games. Need to play them myself. Timing puzzles are a bit fun, but I do remember Ffydwyrr on here (Galdera on Discord, he's been out of Yelsey's server for a while, hope he comes back once he feels better) not being into them sadly. The only game I remember fucking up timed attacks up was YIIK, which also fucked up A Lot (lemonade). A single character turn in that takes like one minute and most of it is timed button presses I s2g.

I need to get back into Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II's SNES version (not to be confused with Digital Devil Saga on the PS2).
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years agoI definitely agree with that; I feel like the more real-time RPGs work better with series like Xenoblade where positioning and other mechanics make up for the time you need to wait for attacks to recharge. It almost feels more like an MMO sometimes, which works for the format since it has a nice balance of speed and strategy if you really set up your builds well.
My favorite real time RPG is actually Legend of Heroes III: White Witch's Japanese-only Windows version myself, and that one is. Weird. It's like a semi-automatic battle system with a stamina gauge? Your characters walk about and attack/use spells on enemies/allies when near, resting when their stamina/VP goes too low. You can also click or select them with the keyboard to choose a battle mode for them: Automatic (anything goes), Attack, Defense (physical attackers only), Healing (magic users only), Support Magic (magic users only). It's pretty unbalanced, but the story is just so endearing enough.

There is a translation on PSP, but it's very rough. They also changed the battle system to a more turn based affair in the US version which unlike a lot of Falcom fans, I don't mind, because the real time battles in the Japanese PSP version were nerve-wracking, the final boss was a nightmare. In the US version I might have overflowed the damage counter, I beat her in two, three turns. It's a mess.
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years agoThe SNES era had a lot of cool ideas with stuff like Mana and Evermore, but I feel they couldn't fully commit to them due to hardware limitations and lack of any real precedent/blueprint for games like that. It's the same reason why Chrono Trigger doesn't do much for me either. I watched RoahmMythril's playthrough of Evermore and thought the game would work really well if they remade it nowadays, especially if they used a FF7 Remake style of gameplay. That gameplay style actually has me interested in the remake and FFXV when I'm not normally into Final Fantasy at all lol
Man a remake of Evermore. I'd cry tears of joy. "Manly tears" (hate that term, all emotion is manly) as late 00s netizens would call it. I am the manliness authority and I say men and masculine folk need to be open with their feelings to be the best lads they can be, instead of bottling it up unhealthily.

I heard XV is a bit disjointed when it comes to the story, but I personally still need to play it. For now it sits on my shelf waiting for that faithful day, which will be after Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII (to gamestop and recieves 2 dollars back). Still have to do the Tactics subseries, X-2, XII, XIII, XIII-2 and LR. Maybe Revenant Wings? If I'm stupid enough, the IV sequels, they look very unappealing.

Chocobo stuff (mostly the three PSX titles: Mystery Dungeon 1&2 and Racing), Crisis Core and XIV, I'll just do as I go along. XIV is really fun because I can be a cute lorge buff boye,, Can't wait to subscribe to it once I'm done with Heavensward (once a month every few months). XI I heard is super clunkier and I think you actually have to pay for that one still. Record Keeper is a nice timewaster when I'm bored, but for now Romancing SaGa Re;univerSe is stealing most of my phone time (no whaling for me, but a lot of expeditions).
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years agoThe World Ends With You is an action RPG that lends itself really well to the format, with a crazy and fast-paced battle system that takes the boredom out of RPGs for me. Kingdom Hearts is absolutely a great example of an action RPG done well (one of my favorite series!). People rag on the story and like you said it's absolutely nutty sometimes, but the fact that it's delivered with so much genuine passion makes it a lot of fun lmao. I agree that the story is kinda vague on purpose; to be fair, Nomura's storytelling is... strange to say the least, since he's almost so keen on world-building where he builds things up so much that he doesn't know how to end them properly, haha. I LOVE his characters and ideas, though. 358/2 Days is my favorite game in the series since it focuses so much on the Organization, the conceptual side of Nobodies and Kingdom Hearts, and the best trio of Roxas, Axel, and Xion! Not counting the main trio, Luxord is definitely my favorite member, but I actually really like Marluxia as well.
Everyone talks about how great TWEWY is and I keep kicking myself for not playing it yet haha. Soon. Hopefully it doesn't bug out too much on nds-bootstrap, I have a jailbroken 3DS.

Kingdom Hearts is like unironically a masterpiece and people who are contentious about it due to Disney or the weird story don't know what they're missing. It plays so good, even KH1. My favorite so far is KH1FM, but I've only played that, Re:CoM and up to the Mulan world in KH2FM (will get back to it once I beat Wild Arms 3 and Unlimited Saga). Re:CoM felt a bit too plain considering it was a budget remake of a GBA game, did not like it much, though Riku's story was actually pretty fun with the preset decks, felt like a puzzle RPG.

Proud Mode is a blast too, one of the few instances I'll choose hard mode in an RPG. The only other instance of multiple difficulties I can remember off the top of my head was Bravely Default and that just lengthened encounters to like 2 additional minutes with its damage sponges, I just went for Easy Mode at all times and messed around with encounter rate depending on whether I wanted to explore or grind (the encounter rate slider is so good, more games need that). There is modern!Ys, which also has difficulty modes, but I still need to play the games released after V/Kefin.
GenesisJames wrote: 2 years agoThe SoulsBorne series has by far some of my favorite games of all time; it's one of the most perfect examples of the type of action RPGs that I like. Sekiro specifically hit all the right notes for me. Super looking forward to playing the rest of the games in the series as well as Elden Ring. FromSoft has a firm grip on me at this point lol
Yeah, I personally want to play Armored Core, King's Field, Evergrace (this song is a jam once you get into it don't @ me), Eternal Ring, Shadow Tower, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Echo Night, and of course, Soulsborne. Maybe someday I can convince Rena to play Cookie & Cream with me too online like she did with Luci, dunno if Amy/Saturn Moriya can run it in her toaster laptop, and she's usually busy with queer Dutch an-com union affairs.
Image Image
GenesisJames

Post by GenesisJames »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Do check out Legend of Dragoon and Shadow Hearts if you like timing puzzles in your turn based RPGs, they're the first ones to come to mind beyond the Mario games. Need to play them myself. Timing puzzles are a bit fun, but I do remember Ffydwyrr on here (Galdera on Discord, he's been out of Yelsey's server for a while, hope he comes back once he feels better) not being into them sadly. The only game I remember fucking up timed attacks up was YIIK, which also fucked up A Lot (lemonade). A single character turn in that takes like one minute and most of it is timed button presses I s2g.

I need to get back into Digital Devil Story: Megami Tensei II's SNES version (not to be confused with Digital Devil Saga on the PS2).
I'll definitely take a look at those! The Mario & Luigi series are unironically some of my favorite RPGs so I'm always down for games with a similar battle style. Weirdly enough, Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood had a similar style of action commands in its turn-based battle system. The music sucks ass for the most part and it ends on a cliffhanger that will never be revisited, but the game's pretty fun, actually!
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Everyone talks about how great TWEWY is and I keep kicking myself for not playing it yet haha. Soon. Hopefully it doesn't bug out too much on nds-bootstrap, I have a jailbroken 3DS.

Kingdom Hearts is like unironically a masterpiece and people who are contentious about it due to Disney or the weird story don't know what they're missing. It plays so good, even KH1. My favorite so far is KH1FM, but I've only played that, Re:CoM and up to the Mulan world in KH2FM (will get back to it once I beat Wild Arms 3 and Unlimited Saga). Re:CoM felt a bit too plain considering it was a budget remake of a GBA game, did not like it much, though Riku's story was actually pretty fun with the preset decks, felt like a puzzle RPG.
TWEWY is so good, and it's worth playing now especially since the sequel's on its way! The battle style of the first game is super unique and uses both screens (unless you get the Final Remix version which uses one screen, but it loses some of the gimmicks to certain fights and becomes a bit obtuse at times). The sequel seems to be opting for more of a mix between the original and a Kingdom Hearts style of gameplay, so you might really like it. I definitely agree that Kingdom Hearts has one of the best battle systems ever; even the more spammy games have some depth to them and just feel good in general. I'm in the minority where I kinda prefer CoM on the GBA. I think the limited plane actually benefited the card system more, since the gameplay was a bit slower and more methodical compared to the PS2 version. I bought those Final Mix HD remasters of the entire series on PS4, so I really gotta revisit those sometime!
KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Yeah, I personally want to play Armored Core, King's Field, Evergrace (this song is a jam once you get into it don't @ me), Eternal Ring, Shadow Tower, 3D Dot Game Heroes, Echo Night, and of course, Soulsborne. Maybe someday I can convince Rena to play Cookie & Cream with me too online like she did with Luci, dunno if Amy/Saturn Moriya can run it in her toaster laptop, and she's usually busy with queer Dutch an-com union affairs.
Yeah, I still need to play a lot of FromSoft's games, especially the older ones, but the gameplay style is just so addicting. Even though they're not from them, Ghost of Tsushima and Star Wars: Jedi Fallen Order are other ones with similar mechanics that I really enjoyed. Definitely worth checking out if you haven't played those.