(shouting)

Awoo's Metal Casting Extravaganza!

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Awoo's Metal Casting Extravaganza!

Post by Awoo »

So I finally fired up my Devil-Forge for the first time today, tempered my graphite-clay crucible, and melted down a couple dozen empty aluminum cans to cast my first ingot!

Not sure if it was just my propane tank freezing up or if it's just super low, but I was only able to get a 17oz/roughly half a kilogram ingot out of it. Left a ton of aluminum slag over for the next time I melt (hopefully soon, depending on how much work there is this week).

Check it out! :pal:
first-ingot.jpg
first-ingot.jpg (178.91 KiB) Viewed 7115 times
Australian 50-cent piece for size comparison
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: Awoo's Metal Casting Extravaganza!

Post by Rixithechao »

:rao:

out of curiosity, have you made momiji's sword and shield before?
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

aah⚟ thats super duper neato✧゚so you could make like a real gold bar⁇ just from like scrap from stuff that contains real gold❢

im amazed how people can just make stuff⚊it sounds silly but that ways but i really mean it₊˚* really great work🎔
ImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Rockythechao wrote: 4 years ago :rao:

out of curiosity, have you made momiji's sword and shield before?
Can't say I have! That'd be a super neat project, I'd like to eventually get into blacksmithing too if I can get good enough with just casting and pouring. Blacksmithing is a totally different set of skills I'd like to have, too :pal:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

I think this might be my largest ingot yet. Think I'm finally getting the hang of this, at least to much more a degree than I had a year ago. Just need to (finally) get some more molds, green sand for casting, crucibles, and better lifting tools and I should be able to make more than just loaves of metal

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

loaves of metal
please tell me you’re going to get a bread mold

though hopefully not a mold on your bread

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Rixithechao wrote: 3 years ago
loaves of metal
please tell me you’re going to get a bread mold

though hopefully not a mold on your bread
I could! Though if it were to be an actual loaf size there's no way I could easily cast that considering I'm stretching it with my #8 crucible and 100oz mould already!

...though a 2-burner 2-tank 20kg furnace would be a pretty sweet thing to have. Heck I could melt cast iron with one
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Made more ingots this morning. Getting pretty low on aluminum to melt
The one on the bottom would be larger but my tank started to freeze over so I could only get so much melted before I had to do a pour
My total collection of ingots so far. Not a huge amount, but I'm getting some good practice :pal:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So what do you intend to do with the ingots?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago So what do you intend to do with the ingots?
Hopefully melt 'em down into other things, need to get green sand/petrobond sand casting supplies and maybe a 3D printer for that though. In the meantime it's just nice to have a ton of aluminum cans in a convenient bar form
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Despite feeling pretty under the weather today, I went ahead and did something super dangerous! I melted copper and made my first copper ingot using new supplies today.
It's surprisingly heavy, weighs probably at least a few pounds. Has a lot of flaws, but I wasn't able to get the copper as hot as I'd have liked. Need to exchange my propane tanks
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Made more ingots this morning despite how windy it's been.
If anyone's ever wondered what molten copper looks like, I tried to take a photo. A bit tricky to do over an active 2000-degree F furnace
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

that's pretty fuckin' metal 🤘
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Those are actually really pretty! I didn't know ingots could look like that :0
Are those first two also copper?
I don't really get it but okay
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

cheez8 wrote: 3 years ago Those are actually really pretty! I didn't know ingots could look like that :0
Are those first two also copper?
Yup! Well, probably about 95-98% copper, if I had to guess. Probably still has a bit of impurities (zinc, tin, trace elements of whatever else, plus the borax I used for this melt).

I'm not 100% sure what the dark red areas are, my guess would be impurities or something like that. Since I tried to use borax on this pour, I think it might be responsible for the neat glaze on parts of the ingots.

Might have to sand these down and see if I can get a mirror finish, for that I'll need more tools though
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Oh, I haven't updated this in a while.

Made a tin ingot in my oven recently

I discovered something new, too. Since I live at a relatively high elevation, I need to use less gas pressure and have the furnace choke open less. Learned that by overheating and over-oxygenating the crap outta these two copper ingots:

With that knowledge in mind, I managed to melt and refine my sterling silver ingot for a 3rd time, and it came out *super* nice this time
Also been experimenting with reverse-electroplating silver plated silverware. From a couple dozen pieces managed to refine a tiny drop of pure silver
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Awoo wrote: 3 years ago overheating and over-oxygenating the crap outta these two copper ingots
I love this thread and your work but these scorched ingots just put me in mind of the infamous Ea-nasir:

Smibbix
ah yes i see

Post by Smibbix »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago that's pretty fuckin' metal 🤘
Hahahahah... Metal... Hahah...

This thread is super neat though. I've been rather interested in the topic of metallurgy lately, coincidentally. Are you able to alloy?
Best Quotes:
raocow wrote: 13 years ago One day I'll master time travel so I can kill myself before I do the cat planet video, time paradox be damned.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Smibbix wrote: 3 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago that's pretty fuckin' metal 🤘
Hahahahah... Metal... Hahah...

This thread is super neat though. I've been rather interested in the topic of metallurgy lately, coincidentally. Are you able to alloy?
Thanks!

I'm sure I could easily alloy things already. Pretty sure I have on accident already, considering my sterling silver bar somehow has zinc in it. (guess that's what I get for using the same crucible for several things)
Went to a local coin shop that has the ability to tell what things are made of and apparently it's about 1-1.5% zinc
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Did a ton of melting this weekend
Re-melted my tin stockpile and some new scrap I obtained. Made it into smaller ingots to more easily make bronze with it:
more scrap copper, though it's at least partially bronze since I used the same crucible as the tin and there was some left in the borax at the bottom
melted a ton of scrap sil-foss brazing rod scrap that I've gathered from my work. They're probably around 10-15% silver, mostly copper
and finally around 5 ounces of 91-92% sterling silver
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Re-melted the drop of silver I made some time ago
Now it's a tiny ingot
Also melted more precipitate that I've gathered from the same silver source. It's tiny, but still pretty neat
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Awoo wrote: 3 years ago Also melted more precipitate that I've gathered from the same silver source. It's tiny, but still pretty neat
If you're not the ingot, you're part of the precipitate (...or something)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

This is rad. I have no interest in this stuff but I love seeing it and seeing that you've got a hobby for it. Keep it up
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Haven't shared any images in a bit, but I made these last week or so. They're 95+% copper
Smaller ingot turned out a bit like Swiss cheese on the bottom, if I had to guess it's because I didn't stir the metal when it was molten
Made these this morning from the remains of a bunch of silverware I stripped the silver metal from using reverse electrolysis
Fairly certain that it's cupronickel (the same metal alloy that US dimes and quarters are made of). It poured just like copper, thought it was brass until I used a wire wheel to clean them up

Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago This is rad. I have no interest in this stuff but I love seeing it and seeing that you've got a hobby for it. Keep it up
Thanks!
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image