(shouting)

Talkmaus is a Sprites

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Talkmaus is a Sprites

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Salvaged some graphics from a game project which died on me a few months ago.

Used them to remake the first area of the second game file I made in this engine, back in 2002.

I drew a bunch of sprites in October. Can you tell?

The 8-bit aesthetic is a soft limit for me, not a hard one. I try to limit a drawing to three colors + outline + transparency or two colors + outline + transparency; however, if the sprite looks better with more colors I leave them in.

This villain is Baron Humerus. His evil magical flames are supposed to be purple, but pink was the closest my palette had and it didn't look as cool as red does; I might try it in dark blue later and see how it looks in comparison.

This background gets packaged with the engine. I couldn't get it to load the sand in yellow instead of brown (or red, or gray) on my 16-color palette, but I kinda like the way it looks in green. I'm going to try to hunt down and import the old version of the background that came packaged with the pre-2008 versions of the engine and import that too.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Re: Talkmaus is a Sprites

Post by tangy »

can you share the sprites you used in Needy Nasty Operation?
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Nathan the Talkmaus

tangeruse wrote:can you share the sprites you used in Needy Nasty Operation?
Yes, I can in fact. They were actually sprites from an RPG I was making in the OHRRPGCE hastily stretched over the top of Toad's from SMBX.

The only powerup states I had were Small, Big, Boomerang, and Tanooki.

Resized, sorry

I would link the original sprite sheet too, but it's actually NSFW. I removed a couple features when making my SMBX level, and pasting the sprites into Toad's sprite sheets changed the character's palette (his mask markings are supposed to be blue and his pink fur is supposed to be more cotton candy and less salmon).
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Why would you do it that way instead of making a fresh sheet if it's going to change the colors in a way you don't want?
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Nathan the Talkmaus

TaviTurnip wrote:Why would you do it that way instead of making a fresh sheet if it's going to change the colors in a way you don't want?
Because I had no idea where any of the poses belonged on a blank 1000x1000 image? I've realized several workarounds after the fact but none were obvious at the time. If I'd been using Paint.net or my new favorite Asperite at the time I could have done the palette the way I wanted and used layers to cut down on weird junk pixels that needed erasing later.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:Because I had no idea where any of the poses belonged on a blank 1000x1000 image? I've realized several workarounds after the fact but none were obvious at the time. If I'd been using Paint.net or my new favorite Asperite at the time I could have done the palette the way I wanted and used layers to cut down on weird junk pixels that needed erasing later.
Take spritesheet, copy contents, paste into new file. It takes literally two seconds :x No more color issues nor pose arrangement issues. It is as simple as opening two MS Paint windows. No fuss.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Nathan the Talkmaus

TaviTurnip wrote:
Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:Because I had no idea where any of the poses belonged on a blank 1000x1000 image? I've realized several workarounds after the fact but none were obvious at the time. If I'd been using Paint.net or my new favorite Asperite at the time I could have done the palette the way I wanted and used layers to cut down on weird junk pixels that needed erasing later.
Take spritesheet, copy contents, paste into new file. It takes literally two seconds :x No more color issues nor pose arrangement issues. It is as simple as opening two MS Paint windows. No fuss.
Yeah, that's one of the workarounds I realized I had right around the time my level got played.
Nathan the Talkmaus

Image Image Image Image

Internet stereotypes
Nathan the Talkmaus

Warning, waifu incoming

This mustelid, whom I have dubbed Minkshake, has been appearing in my dreams and daydreams since shortly before my last girlfriend broke up with me

Maybe I've lost my mind
Ivy
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

you're in love with a literal ferret?
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Nathan the Talkmaus

Ivy wrote:you're in love with a literal ferret?
Mink, actually. Same difference, I know.

Before that I was in love with a nekomata who claimed to be a wolf hybrid but complained anytime I drew her looking remotely like a wolf, before that was an anthropomorphic wolf with a cat-like tail, before that was a Godzilla-sized fox.

I don't know what it's like to have a crush on a character that looks like a human

Or on a physical human
Ivy
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

did you only know your previous GF virtually?
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Nathan the Talkmaus

Ivy wrote:did you only know your previous GF virtually?
Yes, and the one who preceded her. I acknowledged the first as physically attractive so far as humans go (based on the one photo she showed me) and loved the more recent based on her personality rather than her appearance (she was fat and had really uneven teeth, but also had a beautiful voice).

I was trying to save up money to take a trip out to visit her in person sometime this winter, but she kept borrowing money from me all summer and broke up the first time I had less to lend out than what she asked for.
Nathan the Talkmaus

Nathan the Talkmaus

Putting some of my toys in-game. They're roughly to scale with the main character, and thus wildly out of scale to everyone and everything else (other than maybe the pennies).
Nathan the Talkmaus

Nathan the Talkmaus

Nathan the Talkmaus

The Lamental, a giant from the dimension of sadness. This was the first boss of the first game I made with this engine thirtteen years ago. Inspired by the sprites in Castle of the Winds.

Of course the treasure chest tried to eat you! The map graphic said "TRAP" on it clear as day!