(shouting)

Head Researcher [AOD] and his faithful assistant raocow

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
kilon

Re: Head Researcher [AOD] and his faithful assistant raocow

Post by kilon »

[AOD] =/= Acolyte of Death

As far as we know with the current progress of the story at least.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

[AOD] wrote:It's up to you to decide whether Dr AcolyteOfDeath is a different person, or a different aspect of the same [AOD] person.

Either interpretation is valid, but have mutually opposite implications.

@~[AOD]
Thanks alot AOD, you've just given me an idea that'll make the whole story even more complicated. (And yes, this chapter is supposed to not make a whole lot of sense).
cheez8 wrote: AOD is short for Acolyte Of Death, but for some reason, Aposke is treating them as different people. I'm not sure why; I don't remember AOD doing so in any of his Super Mario World videos or their descriptions. But basically, while it looks like they are two different people in this story, in any other situation they both refer to AOD.
See the video descriptions of "Experiment 4" and "Experiment 5 a/b".
The researcher's log (or note) is written by someone called "Dr. AcolyteOfDeath", so I just went ahead and assumed that he is a different person.
However, AOD's post which I quoted up there has given me an idea that would serve both the one-person as well as the two-person theory.

From here on, Dr. AcolyteOfDeath's spoken sentences will be marked in this color, since having three people talk at once without using the ",said X" after the sentence can be quite difficult to read.

And now, after the elaborate explainations (kinda important, read them if you don't want to get too confused), I present you with Chapter 11!

Chapter 11
The concept of time and space

The night, so wonderful ~
This shouldn't have happened...
If we would have reacted faster... If we would have told the emergency team right away...
No, this was doomed to be a failure from the start...
Exploring a dimension that is so unknown to us humans...
How can we claim the right to manipulate nature?
We tried changing constants, tried to subdue nature to our rules, rules of a series of ideas, thoughts and suppositions that we like to call science...
Science...
Such an absudly unfitting term...
The damage is done.
There is no way back.

"So, you're feeling okay again, AOD?"
"Aaah well.... Yea, pretty much. I really have no idea why they put us in the psychatry though..."
"I don't know either... I heard someone mention something about time travel, although that's probably just the usual chit-chat they're doing around here, talking about work and stuff and whatnot."
"And now they just send us back to work like nothing ever happened."
Maybe nothing did happen after all... Just some kind of prolonged health check or something...
Man, I need to get to know this facility better.
Okay, we're walking up to the door to our research room again.
Somehow, I feel like I should say something like "Finally getting back to work again", but considering that I can't even remember the last 2 days, I shouldn't be thinking about stuff like this, right?
Argh, this is so weird...

"There it is, AOD. Our good ol' research room."
"Why are you callin' it old? Just look at the walls and the ground! They're so polished, it almost seems like the whole place is made out of mirrors."
"This compasion is flawed, my dear assistant researcher raocow."
"Talking like an old gentleman now, are we?"
"Umm, no. Actually, I have no idea why I just said that..."
Oh god, I really hope I'm not starting to become as insane as raocow...
Hey, who's that guy coming out of the control room?

"Hey, who are you and what are you doing in our control room?"
"AOD, who the hell are you talking to?"
What do you mean "Who are you talking to?"
I'm talking to that tall guy in a lab coat who just steppted out of our office!
"Oh, I'm terribly sorry to have surprised you in this way. My name is Dr. AcolyteOfDeath, Internim Project Leader of the SMW Dimension Project."
"So you've been the exchange researcher for the last 2 days when I and raocow have been in the psychatry?"
"Seriously now AOD, who the hell are you talking to?"
raocow's jokes can be really annoying sometimes...
"You could say that, Dr. AOD. Anyways, I'll be off then. The project is all yours again."
"Thank you very much, Dr... How was your name again?"
"Dr. AcolyteOfDeath."
"Oh right, thank you for taking care of things here while we were gone."
"AOD, stop with this shit, you're starting to scare me!"
Okay, that does it.
"raocow, YOU are the one who needs to stop with this shit, you didn't even greet Dr. AcolyteOfDeath here, who had been nice enough to fill in for us while we were-"
"AOD, there IS noone here! Look around you! The only two people in this place are me and you!"
What the hell is wrong with raocow? I mean, I talked to that guy, and-
And...
Wait...
Where has he gone?
What the hell is going on?!
This hall is way to big for him to just vanish into thin air!
He must be somewhere here!
I couldn't just have imagined that!!

"See? There's noone else in here!"
"B...But..."
"Seriously, I'm starting to believe that they put you in psychological treatment for a reason here...
Freaking george McCain..."
"B...But..."
I...
I KNOW I didn't imagine this guy...
He spoke to me, answered my questions and everything... I couldn't just have imagined him...
Right?
But... If raocow is right... Then why did I see this guy?
Could... He really have been a projection of my mind...?
Or does this facility have something to do with it?
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

All of this is a dream I created -- Dr AcolyteOfDeath, raocow, all of it -- because I was lonely.

=(

@~[AOD]
Officially voted MOD-IN-ABSENTIA by Talkhaus election 2014.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

[AOD] wrote:All of this is a dream I created -- Dr AcolyteOfDeath, raocow, all of it -- because I was lonely.

=(

@~[AOD]
Maybe I could use that as an ending...
Naah, everyone hates endings that go all like "HUHUH THAT WAS ALL JUST A WHAACKY DREAM".

One thing I can definately tell you:
Dr. AcolyteOfDeath is real, and he and AOD are two seperate individuals.
TheFlippedSides

Post by TheFlippedSides »

The plot thickens.

Do we get to see AoD fight with himself in the next chapter? Is this some crazy cloning experiment gone wrong? Is raocow only seeing what he wants to see? Tune in next for all these answers and more!

But in all seriousness, good work as usual, Aposke.
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

AposkeOfDeath

:shock:

!!~[AOD]
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

*super-late response*

Huh. I was certain that AOD was an acronym for "Acolyte Of Death"...
I don't really get it but okay
[AOD]

Post by [AOD] »

This was explained at the bottom of the last page.

It USED to be, now it is no longer!

!~[AOD]
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

[AOD] wrote:This was explained at the bottom of the last page.
Yeah, that's why I said "super-late."
I don't really get it but okay
kilon

Post by kilon »

Aposke wrote:Maybe I could use that as an ending...
Naah, everyone hates endings that go all like "HUHUH THAT WAS ALL JUST A WHAACKY DREAM".
I know I do. it can be funny at times, (why aren't we dreaming our lives as we live it?) but only when ececuted really well.
One thing I can definately tell you:
Dr. AcolyteOfDeath is real, and he and AOD are two seperate individuals.
I see.. That explains absolutely nothing.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

TheFlippedSides wrote:The plot thickens.

Do we get to see AoD fight with himself in the next chapter? Is this some crazy cloning experiment gone wrong? Is raocow only seeing what he wants to see? Tune in next for all these answers and more!

But in all seriousness, good work as usual, Aposke.
Thanks alot, and even though they weren't meant seriously, I'll answer your questions anyway:

No, AoD will not fight with himself in this chapter. However, there might be a fighting scene with someone pretty soon, however, I ain't telling nothing. :P

Nope, Dr. AcolyteOfDeath is not a cloning experiment. That'd be too easy.

raocow ALWAYS only sees what he wants to see. How could he be so hyper-happy all the time otherwise? (I know he isn't, and I bet he's actually a pretty serious duder outside of Internet Town)

Onto the next chapter then!

Chapter 12
What they weren't supposed to see

There is no way back.
I screwed up again.
This is how it has been the last few thousand times, and this is how it will forever be...
The last of my traces in the past... I couldn't erase them.
Again, I failed. This is how it will always go.
Now the only thing that I can do is wait...
Wait for the past to catch up on me again...
Wait for things to repeat, day after day, stuck in this everlasting circle...
I should really just give up...

"Seriously AOD, your little random outburst of imagination was pretty... Out there, I guess."
"Yeah, I... I don't really know what came over me there..."
Even after spending the whole day on working on the SMW Dimension Project again, I still don't really know what happened this morning...
Did I really see a person that wasn't there?
Could my imagination have made him up... For some reason?
I once read in an old book about paranormal events that sometimes, people recieve a kind of message from another human being, if there is something important that the reciever of the message needs to know...
But Dr. AcolyteOfDeath didn't... He didn't say anything important, did he?
Aaahhh, I don't know!
I'm probably just reading waayy too much into this, and my mind was still blurried by the narcotics they gave us in the psychatry or something...

"Hey AOD, wake up!"
"W...What? Oh right, right... The... Thing... Umm..."
"The researcher's log, freaking hell! You've been totally spaced out like this all day now!"
"S-Sorry, I'll get right onto it."
Really though, even while exploring the SMW Dimension again, I often made dumb mistakes due to my mind wandering off to certain memories... Things I should remember... Little tags of memories, floating around in my head... I... I just can't really put them together...
Agh, I need to take a break from this.
I'll concentrate on writing the researcher's log then...
Wait a second...
Where are the previous logs?

"raocow... There's something missing here... Take a look at that."
"Hmm? What's wrong?"
"Seems like most of the previous logs have been overwritten by..."
W...Wait...
What?

"Hmm, that's weird..."
This...
"This can't be..."
I-
"AOD... What the hell is going on? Why... Why is that name there?!"
I...
I didn't imagine him...

"raocow, this might sound completely insane, but I think I really..."
"You... were right..."
"I didn't imagine that guy..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------

PSYCHOLOGICAL REPORT 
BY DR. ACOLYTEOFDEATH; INTERIM PROJECT MANAGER

:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can feel the time currents...
They have found it...
The files I could not delete in time...
It will all repeat again...
Now that they've found what should have not been there...
The fabric of time and space will break...
It's all repeating...
Over and over.
No escape.
kilon

Post by kilon »

Question remains, why didn't raocow see him? Unless it really is a joke but that would be stupid and would have gone on for way to long.
TheFlippedSides

MessengerOfDeath.

Perhaps raocow is extra loop-y from some medication given to him during the recovery process? Maybe that's why he couldn't see Dr. AcolyteOfDeath. Speculation.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

kilon wrote:Question remains, why didn't raocow see him? Unless it really is a joke but that would be stupid and would have gone on for way to long.
raocow couldn't see him because of something that happened to him in the past...
In this chapter, I try clearing things up a bit, and I pretty much reveal Dr. AcolyteOfDeath's identity.

So, let's stop with the mysterious and let's start with the resolution!
Heck yes.

Chapter 13
No escape

“The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once.”
If Einstein had only known what humanity would be capable of doing in the future...
Of course, back then, in the early 20th century, time had still been stable, there had only been one definite time lapse...
Then, in the late 80s, the science team working on the time travel project started their first experiments... To everybody's surprise, they went quite well, and after only two years, they had managed to send a living being, a spider, forward in time...
Sure, there had always been doubts about the safety of those experiments, whether they would affect the regular time flow or not, whether the molecular structure of the time travellers would be altered...
In 1993, the first intern report on the dangers of time travel was ready, it claimed that "Time travel is a completely harmless process for the travelling individual, as well as the machine used."
However, back then, they had no idea of the effects on the time lapse...
The project leaders Artjom and raocow just assumed that side-effects of time travel didn't exist.
Well...
As for Artjom, he made a giant mistake back then...
And raocow...
He had a first-hand experience with their mistake...
Unfortunately, AOD is about to experience the same as well...
It repeats.
The same day, they're returning from the psychatry.
They will find my log files again...

"Hey AOD, wake up!"
"W...What? Oh right, right... The... Thing... Umm..."
"The researcher's log, freaking hell! You've been totally spaced out like this all day now!"
Argh, he's right...
Since I met Dr. AcolyteOfDeath this morning, I... just keep on forgetting about things today...
My mind just randomly wanders off to unknown thoughts, things that I seemingly should remember, but I can't for some reason...
Tags of memories... floating around in my head...
Wait...
There is something I remember...
Yes, of course!
It's a memory of the day before they put us in the psychatry!
I'm in a bar... How was it called again? Something with planet... Fancy Planet? Really, I should be able to remember this, the narcotics must've worn off already...
The... bar is empty... Oooh jesus, my head hurts...

"AOD, come on, just write that damn log already, I want to leave... Still got stuff to do..."
"Listen raocow, I... I need to remember something... It's... Argh, it's so weird, it's like... something I should remember, some place I have visited, it's... burned into my mind, yet I can't remember any details... Some... bar, I think it's called Fancy Planet, or Dance Planet, something?"
"Hoho, you're just making things up now! Really, first you talk to a weird guy who's not even there, and now you're reminiscing about bars you've been to!
What'd you say it's called? Dance Planet? Never heard of such a bar. What kind of stupid name is Dance Planet anyways? You know, if I had a bar, you know what I'd do?
I'd fill the whole place with cats and call it Cat Planet or something, THAT's way more senseful than-
Hey, are you spacing out again, AOD?
Hello?"
Cat Planet...
This bar isn't empty...
It's... filled with cat heads...
Blinking, dancing, jumping...
And on the stage...
raocow?

"Hey there everyone, it's CAT PLANET!"
His voice fades into an echo, and I expect some kind of dance music to follow, but the whole place suddenly falls quiet...
"You cats know what day it is?"
I... don't really know...
"Guess what! It's AOD's birthday! HELL YES!"
The crowd goes wild at his proclamation, clapping, jumping, blinking around the whole place.
So it's the 9th of August, eh?
Great to see that raocow threw a party for me... Even if it's in such a weird place...
Hey, is that a cake there on stage? That's giant! I... I don't know what to say, I mean-

"AOD, WAKE THE HELL UP!"
"Whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA! What... Where... Oh, it's you!"
No way... Have I been daydreaming again? Freaking...
Oooh, my head feels even worse than before...

"Of course it's me, stupid! You've spaced out again!"
"But... just a few seconds ago... I was in Cat Planet... You threw a birthday party for me... What- Where...?"
Why does raocow look so shocked?
He quickly jumped away from me and is now standing at the other end of the researcher's room...

"AOD... I... I... Don't know what you've smoked, but that's completely impossible..."
"raocow, what the hell is your problem with this? I know, I wasn't very attentive today, but-"
"It's not THAT, god damnit! It's the fact that we've known each other for only 10 days!"
"So what? That doesn't mean you can't make a party for-"
10 days?
"raocow... What... What date is it?"
"Exactly what I'm saying, man. It's the 1st of May, 2010."

Whenever something in the space-time continuum is artificially changed, the time laps splits up into an almost infinite amount of possible ways...
I came back... To seal all portals between the SMW dimension and ours...
Under the cover name of Dr. AcolyteOfDeath, I managed to take the role of the Internim Project Leader for the time AOD and raocow were under psychological treatment...
We thought 2 days would be enough...
Turned out they weren't.
By the morning of the first of May, I had only managed to seal 12 of at least 25 possible portals to that dimension...
When I saw AOD and raocow returning on the surveillance monitors, I knew I needed to somehow drop a message for the AOD of the past...
I hoped he would figure the message out before he did the same fault as before...
Looks like he finally noticed it.
I cannot feel the time currents of their day repeating anymore...
He must've finally reconstructed the memory I stored inside his brain.
My last memory of the Cat Planet, before the SMW border incident happened...
By the end of July, whole project had become much larger than raocow or I could've imagined, and then, one sunny, warm day of August, the portal had suddenly broken...
I had discovered that time passed alot quicker in the SMW dimension. Naturally, having instable portals would've ment risking our and their time continuums clashing together.
I and raocow had always been aware of that, but we had been told many times that the portals were safe, and that the chances of them breaking were close to zero.
But then, on the 11th of August, we had found out that close to zero didn't mean impossible...
Last edited by Aposke 13 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
kilon

Post by kilon »

And that should clear things up?
It only got more confusing!
I like it though.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

kilon wrote:And that should clear things up?
It only got more confusing!
I like it though.
Figured it'd only make things more confusing. :lol:
I worked it over a bit now, cause I want to clear up who Dr. AcolyteOfDeath is, but without just shouting it out like "OHOHO, DR. ACOLYTEOFDEATH IS..."
someone who knows raocow and AOD from the past. Actually, he knows AOD very well. Just read the last few lines again. It should become clear. Hopefully :P
Last edited by Aposke 13 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
kilon

Post by kilon »

Actually I do think it might be
Artjom. but that wouldn't make much sense reading the first part.
Unless you are talking about real life knowing them..
But please don't help me any further, I want to be surprised.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

New Thursday, new chapter.

Sorry for the recent lack of updates people, I know lagging behind is a very bad thing for an author to do, especially when the story's nearing the climax.
But I've got good news for you!
I'll be on holidays again soon (starting on Saturday), so I'll have LOADS of free time to use for writing!
So you can expect much more frequent updates (at least every third day) soon.

Now, without further ado:

Chapter 14
My past self and I...

RESEARCHER'S LOG, 2010.08.11

--------------------------------------

Research has been getting increasingly dangerous over the past few days.
The portal from our dimension into the SMW dimension has been found instable last night and we had to make use of the emergency shutdown in order to ensure the safety of the facility.
So far, there are no known reasons for the portal instability, however our guess is that it might correlate to the fact that [TEST SUBJECT M] has entered an area called [BOWSER'S VALLEY] two days ago, which seems to radiate high amounts of energy in the form of lightning.
Perhaps these high energy values are corrupting the portal stabilizer, further testing on this matter will be initiated today.

"Umm, Rao?"
"Yea?"
"Do... do you really think we should continue with the research right now? I mean, you know what happened last night, on the 10th, right?"
"Of course I know, stupid! Really, after working here for... almost 4 months now, you should know that you can trust the emergency science team! If they say the portal is ready to be used, then everything's A-okay."
"Well... You see, I just don't want the... the border to break or whatever, I mean... what would happen if that border broke? Would our two dimensions mix or something?"
"That's difficult to predict, really... We... had a similar incident once, just that it wasn't a dimensional border that broke, but rather a time continuum..."
"Wait a second... Was that the incident you've mentioned a few days ago, in the Cat Planet?"
"Yea, but... I still don't really want to talk about it... Stuff happened, you know? Ugly stuff, things I really would prefer not to have to remember if possible..."
"raocow... That's... I mean, if it helps our research in some way, it would be pretty useful, you know, just in case-"
"Seriously AOD, please stop asking me about that."

They have finally figured it out!
Hahahaha, it has worked! Finally!
God damnit, I really started to believe I'd be trapped in this time loop forever, but now they've finally figured out what to do!
raocow and my past self!
They're travelling forward in time!
To the 11th of August 2010...
The day the border break occoured...
So raocow's choice of sending me back in order to get them to prevent the incident hasn't been that stupid at all...
I hope future raocow has noticed their arrival...
There's still something I need to do...

"Are you ready, AOD?"
"Oh freaking hell, please let this work..."
The blinking numbers in front of me show the current date: May the 2nd, 2010.
The date of arrival is the 11th of August 2010, at 9 o'clock AM.
I pray to god that this thing works...

"Don't worry, time travel is a pretty safe thing. As long as you program the emergency-return device right, nothing bad can happen."
Somehow raocow's words are not really helping...
"And what exactly does that thing do, raocow?"
"It's mostly for journeys to the past, where it helps preventing grave changes of the time lapse. Like, it won't let you kill your own mother or something."
"Why would I-?"
Whoa, it's getting really freaking loud in here!
The whole machine is shaking and heating up...
Suddenly- time travel doesn't seem that safe anymore...
Aaaaah, stop the damn ringing sound!!!

"raocow, HOW LONG WILL THIS TAKE?!"
"ABOUT 2 MORE MINUTES, AOD!"
2 more minutes in this small cabin that barely has enough space for two people?!
Seriously, why does time travel have to be that annoy-yyyyyyyyyyyy------------

They have arrived...
raocow and my past self arrived on the 11th of August, 9:00 AM, just in time for their work shift.
By travelling through time, they have created a new time loop of that day.
This newly created artificial time period runs parallel to the respective part of the "real" time period that became duplicated. The artificial time period will continue to loop until the creators of this time period, in this case past AOD and raocow, break out of it by either leaving it or changing it to another path.
Me and raocow hope that our past selves will be able to convince our clones in the artificial time period to immediately cancel all project research and shut off the portal to the SMW dimension in order to prevent the border break...
I can feel the time currents dragging me back...
Before raocow sent me to the past, he gave me the emergency-return device and programmed it to send me to the 3rd of May...
I'll need to take the role of Dr. AcolyteOfDeath once more in order to explain the sudden disappearance of my past self and my assistant raocow.
Good luck to you two.
You'll need it.
TheFlippedSides

Nice to see a new chapter up again. At first, I felt completely thrown off about what was happening, but once I re-read the previous chapter, all was right. Chapter 13 was blurred in my head due to me reading it on such a crappy day; can't do that kind of thing again. But nonetheless, I'll be looking forward to another chapter when it's eventually written. It's back to the future for raocow and AoD with a seemingly impossible mission. (random movie references for whatever reason.)
kilon

Post by kilon »

I.. think I start to get it.
The next chapter will be pretty important I think.
SomerandomGuy

Post by SomerandomGuy »

Wow...
I have no idea what is happening, i must read again later...
Nicely written though. :D
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

So....
AcolyteOfDeath is AOD from the future.. of the past?
I need to reread this again, though it seems reasonable, at least?
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Yonowaaru wrote:So....
AcolyteOfDeath is AOD from the future.. of the past?
I need to reread this again, though it seems reasonable, at least?
Yono, you are most certainly
correct. Dr. AcolyteOfDeath is a cover name future AOD took after being sent back in time by raocow after the border break in order to alert past AOD and raocow, so they could travel to the 11th of August to prevent the incident.
And now, ladies and gentlemen:
The longest chapter of this crazy wild unorganized story so far!

Chapter 15
Countdown

"Okay raocow, is everything prepared?"
"I just did a complete checkup, everything seems okay, the presumeable portal stability is at 90 to 95 percent."
"Isn't that... kinda low?"
"Low? Haha, good joke AOD, we've been working with stability values as low as 40 percent before!"
"WHAT."
"Come on, chill out, this'll work out like always. And even if we do encounter a problem, I'm right here next to the emergency shutoff button, which will eradicate the portal in a fraction of a second!"
"Fine then... Countdown to portal aperture..."

Oh wow...
That... was pretty... well...

"AOD, you're okay?"
Aahh, my head still hurts... Freaking...
It's like... waking up after a narcosis. Just... with more headache...

"Sure... I just... I'm just surprised at how well this turned out so far..."
Really, I had imagined time travel to be alot more tiring.
Okay, wait... We're at the 11th of August-

"Come on AOD, we need to get to our research room!"
"Right, we need to stop our future selves before the can initiate the testing phase!"
Just down this hallway, and then we're there...
I can already see the big door leading to our giant research hall!

Almost there...
"Almost there..."

"And now, Dr. AcolyteOfDeath, who has a short announcement to make concerning the recent loss of our research collegues Dr. AOD and his assistant raocow."
"Thank you, James."
Dr. AcolyteOfDeath looked down on the small crowd of scientists sitting in front of him. Some of them had started to murmur after hearing raocow's name, who was known throughout the whole facility due to his past incidents at the time travel research group.
"Ladies and gentlemen, I'm sorry to tell you that we've lost contact with the lead researcher Dr. [AOD] and assistant researcher Dr. raocow again for the moment, despite heightened security over the last couple of days. We do not know what caused their sudden disappearance, though we have reason to believe that the two researchers escaped the facility on their own, using the new prototype time machine ATS-X.
This is all for the moment."
He leaves the podium, careful not to turn his gaze on the heavily chatting crowd of scientists behing him. Pointy questions would only make his facade crumble even more.
Now I am done here.
There's nothing more I can do for you, AOD.
Good luck.

Dr. AcolyteOfDeath silently leaves the conference room walks up the stairs and into the broad, long hallway, eventually leading outside, into the clear, cold night.

"Researcher's log, 20th of June, 2006."
Artjom looked at the second project leader raocow, who was standing outside, ready to test the ATS-1, the Artificial Time Stabilizer 1, a new prototype of a series of improved, more stable time machines.
Their research schedule for the 20th of June had been set unmistakably:

SCHEDULE FOR 2006.06.20
START INITIAL TESTING PERIOD, FIRST 2 TEST RUNS TO BE DONE WITH ARTIFICIAL TEST SUBJECTS, LAST TEST RUN TO BE DONE WITH HUMAN SUBJECT.
IN CASE OF ANY MAYOR INTERFERENCE, THE EMERGENCY SCIENCE TEAM IS TO BE NOTIFIED IMMEDIATELY.

Neither Artjom nor raocow had any doubts that this test run would be as successfull as their last one, which had been done with an older model of the time machine.
"Final testing phase initiated. Lead Researcher raocow is going to enter the ATS-1, with the help of which he will travel 10 minutes forward in time, to reappear in the exact same spot he has left.
Ready, Rao?"
"Ohoh, you know I'm always ready when it comes to doing CRAZY THINGS with time continuums and whatnot."
Artjom let out a short laugh and made a short remark:
"That's raocow as we all know him. Even in the sight of danger, he never ceases to impress people with his random humor."
"Oh come on, it's not like I'm constantly spurting out things like "CAT" or "LAUNDROMAT" or something, freaking... godhell."
And with those words, raocow entered the ATS-1, closed the door behind him, and started the timer.
10.. 9... 8... 7... 6...
"The countdown has been started, and in a few seconds, Lead Researcher raocow will have travelled forward in time and be waiting here for us to meet him in roughly 10 minutes."
5... 4... 3... 2... 1...
The time machine let out a short metallic sound and then disappeared, leaving behind nothing but an empty space.
Artjom was certain that nothing bad would happen, especially since raocow had taken the emergency-return device with him, which would allow him to return to a few minutes before the start of the time travel without affecting the time lapse at all.
But even though they had done this kind of test so many times with so many different machines before, this time, as he saw his collegue leave into the depths of time and space, he just knew that something would go wrong.
Looking at his stopwatch, he noticed that 5 minutes had already passed, and quickly went into the control room to check on the camera footage so far.
raocow would return, as he had done many times before, he was certain.
3 more minutes.
Artjom reached the control room and was glad to see that the 4 cameras they had installed specifically for this test run were still working.
They had already recorded their 2 previous attempts of sending robots into the future with the new prototype ATS-1, both of which had been 100% successfull.
A bit nervous, Artjom checked his watch again.
One more minute left.
He went back outside, ready to greet raocow when he would step out of the reappeared time machine.
Only a few more seconds, and they would have finished another successfull test run...

"Portal opening in 3..."
With all of their might, AOD and raocow pushed open the doors to the research room.
Their future selves turned around, surprised to see someone entering the large hall outside of lunch time.
Not that they had been visited many times before anyways, the only visitors they ever got were the secretary of their boss occasionally bringing them new research instructions when the facility's computer network had been shut down again and sometimes a few mechanics who claimed to be working on "important stuff" at the other end of the hall, though AOD was sure they only used that as a petense to slack off for a bit.
"Who ARE you?"
Future AOD looked tremendously confused, as if he could not believe his eyes.
"Doesn't matter, you need to stop the portal launch NOW!"
Wow, I never imagined raocow could sound this decided...
"Portal opening in 2..."
"B-but why-?"
Before past AOD could even answer his future self, past raocow had already turned towards his future equivalent sitting inside the control room.
"EMERGENCY SHUTOFF, NOW! I'M YOUR PAST SELF, YOU SHOULD KNOW I DON'T DEMAND THINGS WITHOUT A REASON!"
"Portal opening in 1..."
Suddenly, a loud, metallic clicking noise went through the entire room.
All the lights went out at once, even the computers in the control room shut down, and the whole hall was covered in a thick, eerie darkness.
D-did we do it?
But there was still one light source, a faint, blue gleam, coming from the darkness, from somewhere in the research hall.
The countdown display.
00:00
Last edited by Aposke 13 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

Haha, this is awesome and very exhilirating too!
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Aposke
Banned

Post by Aposke »

Ha, you didn't think it would be over already, now did you?
Things are only starting to get out of hand now...

Chapter 16
CRACK-

00:01
AOD didn't dare to move.
The portal leading into the SMW dimension, the portal that was supposed to be shut down, was actually shut down.
Had things finally worked out on the first try for once?
00:02
Running like crazy, raocow had finally reached the control room and opened the door, checking on the status of the emergency shutdown. If everything had worked, the whole control room should be de-powered and his future equivalent would be sitting there, waiting for a kind of explaination that even raocow wouldn't fully be able to give.
raocow quickly stepped inside, and found that things seemed to be going the right way for once.
His future self was still sitting in the chair in front of the control desk, staring motionlessly into the black darkness that now filled the hall, his hand still resting on the emergency shutoff button.
"What the fuck is this all about?", he asked past raocow without turning his head.
"Don't swear, freaking hellgod! You should be proud of yourself!
You just prevented the border from collapsing."
00:03
Outside, future AOD, who had been standing near the portal the entire time, slowly began moving backwards.
The countdown display was the only thing still illuminating the place, and what it displayed was hardly believeable to the young scientist.
00:04
00:05

00:-=
"What is going on..?"
00-=e
Past AOD stepped a little closer to see what had happened to the portal.
As he came closer, he noticed that the portal had appearently been shut down after all, since he was unable to make out the usual glow of the dark-blue portal sphere.
0-eeee{
With a loud crack, the portal machine released a bright spark into the dark air of the research hall.
Shocked, future AOD jumped aside just in time to see the portal opening again.
However, this time, it expanded beyond the metallic enclosure of the portal machine, which usually gave the portals their well-known circular, 2-dimensional form.

0000-
CRITICAL ERROR
PORTAL BORDER BROKEN

"Hey, something's going on there... Wait a gosh-darn second!"
"Oh crap."
"raocow, I think we've got a massive problem right now..."
"raocow, I think we should fucking run for our lives..."
The two raocow's were left standing there, in awe, as they witnessed the portal between the SMW dimension and their dimension growing bigger and bigger while shooting out serveral short beams in every direction.
"We need to get them out of there!"
Past raocow dashed through the door, outside, into the thick darkness which was now pierced through by the colorful beams emerging from the portal entrance.

Of the two AODs, standing close to the portal, it was future AOD who first got a hold of himself.
Running away from the slowly expanding portal, he grabbed the arm of his perplexed past self, dragging him with him.
"COME ON, WE NEED TO GET AWAY FROM HERE!"
His loud voice pierced AOD's mind like a dagger, and he regained self-counciousness, following his future persona towards the exit.
Just as the door appeared in front of them, the portal in their back let out a massive spark, followed by a dull, uncomfortable hiss which seemed to become deeper and deeper the longer it lasted.
Why... does this take so long...?
The door's like right there... We just need to reach out and open it, and then...

Then, it hit AOD.
The border has broken...
Time and space are shifting... Mixing with the time and space continuum of the SMW dimension...
Our conception of time is changing... Dragging us away from the door!

But suddenly, time made a jump forward and the two AODs crashed into the metal door leading outside.
Without hesitating, future AOD quickly pushed open the door and left the research hall together with his past self.
Past AOD didn't even have the chance to throw in something like "But raocow's still in there!" before future AOD slammed the metal door shut and pressed a button next to it that appearently activated a "timespace-continuum shield".
"Allright. That'll prevent the foreign timespace-continuum to spread beyond the borders of the research hall.", future AOD explained with a bit of pride, as if that button was something that he had invented.
"But both Raocows are still trapped in there! We can't just let them be devoured by-"
"Don't worry, AOD! We've been working alot around the research hall during the last 3 months you haven't experienced yet!"
"Wha-?"
What the hell does he mean? Is there some kind of escape route from the control room now? There better be, otherwise the two raocows really have a grave problem...
And indeed, past AOD couldn't believe his eyes as he noticed a hidden door halfway up the stairs opening and one of the raocows stepping out of it.
"Hey Rao! I see the escape passage works!"
"Of course it does, stupid! There's only one little problem left though..."
Hey, where's...
"My past equivalent is still in there."
WHAT?! But-
He said that so casually...

"He went crazy as he saw how the portal opened again and dashed outside to help you two, I just couldn't stop him, and going back to rescue him would've been a suicide-trip."
B-but... raocow...
He's speaking with such a... cold and selfish voice...

Past AOD couldn't believe what his future assistant researcher had just said.
How... Why did he give up that easily?
That...
raocow would never do such a thing!

Just as past AOD wanted to start screaming at raocow for his carelessness, his future equivalent had already spoken up:
"But is there no way we can get back in there? No magical time-disorientation-device up your sleeves that'll turn things normal?"
"I'm sorry, but no. Looks like our friend from the past...
will not live to see our future anymore."
That did it.
AOD's rage went out of control, he grabbed raocow by his collar and pushed the completely surprised scientist against the wall.
"You're not raocow! The raocow I know would never leave his old self, or ANYONE behind!", he shouted and then turned to future AOD, still holding raocow against the wall.
"I don't know what happened during the time we skipped while we travelled here, but you have changed for the WORST! You're NOTHING like the happy, confident scientist the real raocow was!"
With these words, past AOD let go of raocow and headed straight for the hidden door the discontented raocow had appeared out of.
"YOU two can do whatever the hell you want to, as for me...
I will go rescue my friend."
AOD pulled open the door and vanished into the black, cold darkness that engulfed the control room.