(shouting)

I need an art program that doesn't suck.

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: I need an art program that doesn't suck.

Post by Alice »

bob-hoice wrote:Yep. It's actually pretty simple, but maybe a bit alien for those new to it. Gimp in a nutshell is just layers you can paint on, tools for selecting pixels, brushes, and a bunch of premade filters. And image croping. That's all you will ever need to know and use.

For painting, sai paint tool is much more comfortable, simply because of hotkeys, interface and quick zoom & rotate. Don't remember anything about it, except of how comfortable it is (comparing to gimp) and how it costed money and encrypted it's files in unregistered version.
I think you're completely missing the point. Just because you've gotten used to it and it's no longer an issue for you in particular doesn't suddenly make it cease being a bad design decision. Gimp's interface is completely unintuitive and you have to learn it before you can even really accomplish anything at all. on the other hand programs such as Photoshop and Paint.net are very intuitive and you can install them and get right to using them. In Pdn's case there's basically no learning curve because it's a simple and straight forward program. In Photoshop's there's is more of a learning curve but that's to be expected with a program that does so much. But the key difference is you can still use it effectively right out of the box unlike Gimp.

It's kinda like comparing something like Arch Linux with Windows or OSX. They might all do the same things in the end but two of them (Windows and OSX obviously) are magnitudes more accessible and intuitive to the vast majority of people than the other. This doesn't mean Arch Linux is bad but it does you can't simply claim that it being so inaccessible and unintuitive isn't a problem. It's still a bad design decision either way.
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Re: I need an art program that doesn't suck.

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Here are some sprites I made for a collaboration/contest that might or might not pick up enough steam to get off the ground. Some of them are repurposed from older projects and modified slightly to look more cohesive in terms of style. Drew most of these over the past two hours using my RPG engine of choice's built-in sprite editor, though the Sonichu sprite is from 2011 or so if I recall correctly and the mouse's overworld sprite is from early 2013.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015