(shouting)

Turnip sketches: actually pixels

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Turnip sketches: actually pixels

Post by TaviTurnip »

You'd better add "turnip" to MaGL X3's name bank, Horikawa!

I said I'd start an art thread for myself but like I'm kind of like a successful artist who is currently hiding from the very site I art on, and I don't want to dump a million jillion things into a thread and go "hey look I'm amazing" but I'm also not working on anything new lately, so I'm not sure what to do `~` Most of my art is not very relevant to talkhaus interests either, but... ehhh. My deviantART for if you wanna see everything.

I'll just post a few cute things here and save updates for when I'm doing new stuff.
Image Image Image Image ImageImage ImageImage
"A few." Hi talkhaus I like doing art hi hello.
Last edited by TaviTurnip 7 years ago, edited 8 times in total.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
sonicspin
wishes
Banned
First name: t
Pronouns: whatever

Re: Turnips are like pixels, when you think about it

Post by sonicspin »

better than 99% of the poblation of dA
congradurations
u r very gud
d̀͢͏̷͢ȩ̢͡͞͠-̸̢͟҉g̶̡͟͞҉e͞͏͞͞͠n͢҉e̸̛͠͞r͟á̡͠͡ţ̛́͜i̧̛o̵̢ń̴͠͝͝
dA
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e
First name: lily
Pronouns: she/her/xe/xem

Post by Pikabread »

I wish I was this good at anything omg this is beautiful
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Is that a singing watermelon with a bow?
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Thanks guys :3
Unaniem wrote:Is that a singing watermelon with a bow?
I was asking stream to give me one random word each (only four people were present) and that was the first combination they gave me. It was wonderful <3
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Post by Kapus »

I'm so jealous of your art it's not even funny, aaaahhhh

Also holy crud it's Panel de Pon!!! Amazing.
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e

Post by Pikabread »

RenaTurnip wrote:Thanks guys :3
Unaniem wrote:Is that a singing watermelon with a bow?
I was asking stream to give me one random word each (only four people were present) and that was the first combination they gave me. It was wonderful <3
Next time you stream inform me plz becuz sounds like much fun!!!
Also I like drawing but when I stream I just do vidja gams
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man those are so good
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

I like the red haired one. Is there a story there or was she just a random idea?
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

aaaaaa raocow noticed me uguuuu
Kapus wrote:I'm so jealous of your art it's not even funny, aaaahhhh

Also holy crud it's Panel de Pon!!! Amazing.
Thank yooouuuu <3 I love PdP so much, I started playing the series when it first came out and I was very young, so it's stayed with me forever. I'd been wanting to do fanart for it for a long time and a chance came up with a commission I wanted to do. It was super fun.
Pikabread wrote:Next time you stream inform me plz becuz sounds like much fun!!!
I haven't streamed in a really long time, since I've been mostly on hiatus and other things, but I'll post about it here next time it happens. Can't say when it will, though, but I will `~`
hardcore_crispy wrote:I like the red haired one. Is there a story there or was she just a random idea?
She's a character my best friend and I do a lot of things with. This was me wanting to attempt art akin to the style of The World Ends With You and choosing Alier as the subject and giving her my worst attempt at a modern outfit while staying true to her usual clothing.
Image Image

I'm a very boring designer so she's mostly wearing all white in the TWEWY art. White is easy to uuuse.

~~~

Anyhow, I've been using my spare time right now to work on an old project from like, early last year, and I'm having a lot of fun with it again so I've been putting a lot of hours into it, and since I'm still kind of hiding from my deviantART, maybe I'll ask you guys for opinions instead.
It's a pixel art card game, yes :1 The top two are what Is started on last year as a template, and the bottom two are what happened today when I finally got unlazy and started pasting some textures into Paint to use. They probably won't stay, but I'm really happy with the idea of the textures, as someone who has literally no graphic design experience, it's not really my area of expertise :x I'm also not a programmer so I haven't really started on a barebones playable engine or anything, but I mean. All pet projects kinda start from the bottom and have to go up, of course. There are almost 100 skeletons of cards made and I might start a thread in Project Showcase once there's more to see or if there's a playable demo or something. stfu nobody cares about that rena
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Why not just a skeleton card then
That crazy voice dude
Pikabread
we're gonna talk about e

Post by Pikabread »

I caaaare

looks p cool. Looking forward to whatever you end up making of them. If you do decide to go with the project, and make some headway I would go ahead and post 'em in project showcase.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Tiny update because I did some personal stuff while waiting on response from people about super secret commissions.

This is more about the overall scene and less about girls in swimwear, honest `~` It was mostly meant to be a teasing scene and then I decided "hmm what happens if I try to draw water" and then I failed badly at drawing water :O And then it was nearly 1AM and I decided I was done. It kinda looks like the type of screen you'd see at the end of a game before/after the credits.

This is what you get if you beat Super Merlyn and get 100% items in less than two hours.

Not really lol <3
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat
Pronouns: He

Post by ZephyrBurst »

Oh wow, these are super duper great. Just looked through some of your DA page and noticed some nice animated pixels.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

ZephyrBurst wrote:Oh wow, these are super duper great. Just looked through some of your DA page and noticed some nice animated pixels.
Oh man it's the Distorted Travesty guy :o Thank you <3 I wish I was less lazy with animating but it brings me a lot of stress, so I don't do it much. Not unless it's for work.

I may have upgraded the girls from last time. Scarves are completely practical when you're going out for a swim, you know Image Also very anime blob faces that I am in no way ashamed of.
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Post by ZephyrBurst »

You do it (animation) very well, so that's definitely something. Also you have an army on your DA page. Did you draw all of those? Because wow, that's a lot of pixeling. How fast are you able to make one of those?

And... needs more scarf... maybe?
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Turnip pixels: currently featuring Demo

Post by TaviTurnip »

ZephyrBurst wrote:Also you have an army on your DA page. Did you draw all of those? Because wow, that's a lot of pixeling. How fast are you able to make one of those?
My proud army :D The Pony icons usually take about 1-2 hours each, sometimes longer. When it takes longer it's because I spend more time trying to wrap my mind around what I'm doing, far less about having the pencil on the paper, so to speak. I'm not someone who art concepts and techniques come to naturally, so a lot of mental time and energy goes into "how do I make this look right" before/while doing it. Same reason really why animating is usually stressful for me.

But since you got me thinking about it now.

I haven't slept really in like two days and I wanted to do something gamey instead of cute people in swimsuits, since most people associate pixel art with game stuff and stuff and stuff, so a Demo happened! Included in the package are confusing landmasses and sky lines that suggest a tiny, unuseable game screen frame.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

RenaTurnip wrote:Image
.. I feel like i've seen that exact picture somewhere completely non talkhaus or raocow related... Besides DA, do you post that stuff other places? Maybe I saw it on a friend's feed somewhere (Not claimed as their own) or whatever...

Sorry, that just rings a huge bell in my head.

Also I'll ask if you do commissions and whatnot for large pixely characters.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

This stuff is good I'm bad at giving praise please do more stuff

Edit: ok nevermind then but I do like it
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Argumentable wrote:This stuff is good I'm bad at giving praise please do more stuff
-1/10 praise harder scrub
Shinoda wrote:.. I feel like i've seen that exact picture somewhere completely non talkhaus or raocow related... Besides DA, do you post that stuff other places? Maybe I saw it on a friend's feed somewhere (Not claimed as their own) or whatever...

Sorry, that just rings a huge bell in my head.

Also I'll ask if you do commissions and whatnot for large pixely characters.
I did post her in this thread but other than that you should not be able to find that specific art anywhere online unless you are a stalker/friend. I only just recently posted it to one of my galleries, and since I still haven't returned to my deviantART, she hasn't been there yet! I'd be quite shocked (though amused) if you found her anywhere online that wasn't that talkhaus post, basically. That should be next to impossible.

As for commissions, I used to take them constantly, but nowadays I'm technically closed forever due to personal stresses and the fact that I currently have difficulty doing art that isn't for my own self. It's about as frustrating as it sounds, yes :\ If you were interested in something, I'd be happy to take a PM about it, but definitely no promises that I'll actually take work. I never thought someone on talkhaus would ask about that, haha~
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

I apparently gave Iris a haircut in the past couple hours. I have no idea why this happened!
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

RenaTurnip wrote: I did post her in this thread
That must have been it then I guess? Still feel like it wasn't on here but whatever... could be my brain playing tricks... and if you don't do comissions, I wont make you do one... I know how stress can be.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Dizzybelle
Barrel!
First name: (◕ v ◕✿)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Dizzybelle »

:o
that iris is SO CUTE
OMG
best art of best sibling
ImageImageImage
ZephyrBurst
A Bird Cat

Re: Turnip pixels: currently featuring Demo

Post by ZephyrBurst »

RenaTurnip wrote:so a lot of mental time and energy goes into "how do I make this look right" before/while doing it.
Oh man, I get that completely. Approximately 67.2% of my time is, "What am I doing?"
Followed by,
"It's wrong. This is all wrong! Why am I here? What is even the meaning of life? How did I get here?!" And then video game just happens before me.
RenaTurnip wrote:If you were interested in something, I'd be happy to take a PM about it, but definitely no promises that I'll actually take work.
I thought about PMing you regarding a pixeling thingy-ma-bob. There was a little 1 or 2 frame thing I thought about for DT3, but then I saw your commissions and requests were closed. (At least from what I read on Deviant Art.) Buuut, maybe I'll send one now based on this. I was also weirded out because I haven't ever asked for sprite work from anyone for DT, like ever.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Re: Turnip pixels: featuring rainbow birds

Post by TaviTurnip »

bkamakaze wrote::o
that iris is SO CUTE
OMG
best art of best sibling
Excuse you Demo is the best sibling... except, I guess she can't be her own sibling, so that would leave Iris as Demo's best sibling. I figured it out, right?! Turnip logic bestu logic.
ZephyrBurst wrote: Oh man, I get that completely. Approximately 67.2% of my time is, "What am I doing?"
Followed by,
"It's wrong. This is all wrong! Why am I here? What is even the meaning of life? How did I get here?!" And then video game just happens before me.
I've basically learned to accept that if something doesn't look amazing, just finish it as-is and use it as a lesson. I just don't get stressed over it anymore if something isn't perfect, it is not worth nitpicking five hours over five pixels ;_; It's healthier this way.

Anyhow, since it came up somewhere else I've been chatting, I thought I'd post some (quite old!) things that have been coincidentally on my mind anyways. Back when someone hired me to do what were basically fake Pokémon, but then I never got paid and I kept the designs for myself! :<

Image Image
These were mostly meant to be like Gen IV-V with a few very brief touches/design philosophies from Gen III (long live coloured outlines damn it) but I guess ultimately came out like a fusion of both. I wasn't given any design directions when hired so I just basically went with "what kinds of creatures are on my mind, herp derp" and then these cuties happened. It's all been on my mind lately again because I play too much Pokémon and because I reused all the monster sprites in my card game project, so I've been thinking about doing some more if I feel the energy for it for a few unused creature ideas. They're a lot of fun, but it's surprisingly hard to think of creative stuff sometimes. You're rambling again, shut up please.