(shouting)

Turnip sketches: actually pixels

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Re: Turnip sketches: meow

Post by Zummorr »

I realize that I tend to blather on a bit. So if I make long posts I'll put them in spoilers to save room.
Consistency is quite a nuisance, it's like one's brain wants to do it different every time.

Maybe I inferred it incorrectly earlier, so I'll be clear, a goal of sexy characters and sexy art is completely fine. I mean look historically, tons of high art was funded and devoted to making really hot looking naked people.

The character being busty or even depicted as sexy doesn't bother me at all, it's variety. Like if you look at Korra and Asami from the legend of Korra series, if you look closely at Korra she's got a very different build from Asami, she's got a wider upper body and lower body, noticeable triceps compared to Asami. Maybe it's putting the cart before the horse since you mentioned the issue atm is consitency.

You would know how to draw this better than I would, so if their breasts look fine to you, then that is all you need. At the same time, this being cartoons, drawing from real-life can be helpful but not a die-hard rule. I mainly thought that sometimes the way you sometimes depicted a shirt being pulled into a girls cleavage seemed, off. (man I need to stop turning red and not talk around things)

I would have to agree that Talkhaus's atmosphere is probably not the place for depicting lasses with bountiful chebs.\\

Yeah those goat legs seem bothersome. You've depicted dreani before, perhaps you could take a page or two out of their book for how goat legs work, though their second joint goes pretty far back. They got 3-D models and everything.

As you said, you'll figure it out, just keep at it. Practice it up.

I apologize for my tendency to be long winded, I just think that saying "it's good!" isn't very informative. It's just at the same time you've likely stared at these drawing for quite a while so you probably know most of the issues going on.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Zummorr wrote:More stuff.
The Korra and Asami comparison actually makes me understand a lot better what you mean, I appreciate that one a lot. That one can be chalked up to two things, and you're totally right to bring it up. 1) I started with characters that are similar :P These are all heights and body shapes that have been set in stone for a long time. There are others who are different; they're just not in this lineup. 2) I've had a hangup for a long time about drawing bodies that are like... I'm "accidentally" a fan of bodies and people who are really average or well-rounded basically, since I've been working with pixel art my whole life I get really hesitant or sensitive (in my own work) if someone looks too skinny or if their head looks too wide for their body or something (which trips me up a lot with chibis). Even though I've spent the last year conditioning myself to accept that anime heads are big and to draw them as such (unless I want everyone to look like a 6-foot adult) I still go "ummm this is maybe not good" if I draw someone too slim... it is a thing I am working on but my mind has a cookie cutter it wants to commit to and I'm trying to learn better. Drawing Korra and Asami would be a really great way to practice the contrast a bit, honestly >_> That's a great idea and I appreciate it.

I TALK A LOT SORRY HI I DON'T SHUT UP I promise I'll work on the suction cup cleavage thing though

Don't worry about being too wordy anyways, it's okay to bring this stuff up. I don't usually get serious critique (and not usually from people who aren't close friends) so it's like, it's fine :o I'm just going along as I go along and trying to improve at things and also draw what I enjoy. I will be trying to draw distinct stuff when I can and/or when I feel like it. I go where my inspiration goes, really. It's also really easy to look at someone's art and then look ten drawings back and see the same thing and go "wow this person just does the same [mistake/other] and isn't improving" and not really know that they're going along gradually or what's going on in their head, I kinda run into people like that a lot on dA so I get it.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Well you know your habits, and you know what you like, and don't like that is what matters. I just wanted to bring things like this up because I notice it. Maybe I'm just used to writing, but if something is a systemic issue, an issue that repeatedly comes up, then I find it necessary to address. So that is why I brought up what I did.
At the same time though, I would think that for every picture that you do post and share that there are likely 5-10 you don't, so there's alot of improvements folks online might not see.

I encourage you continue drawing what you want and work with what inspires you. If it is slim, hippy, goat girls then press onwards! If you want to draw Korra and Asami go for it. I mainly brought them up as an example because it's a popular show and since you said you liked to draw "hot people." Korra and Asami are both highly liked and definitely in the "hot" range but still subtly different in terms of body type.

Since I'm here, one thing I thought to mention on the topic of variety, and thinking on Asami and Korra, I'd recommend trying to experiment with other hair textures as well.

I hope you continue to do what you do, I just offer my 2 cents as a second opinion. Good luck in your endeavors.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Re: Turnip sketches: panda noises

Post by TaviTurnip »

Beep.

Trying out differently-sized people is going slow, but it is happening `~` I'm mostly following my whims still, so I'm trying to encourage my whims to try different things. Have some random pickings.

Pandaren

Space goat faces

Annoying cat superstars

Super fighting robots

Funny fact: I want to draw Demo, but I just have no idea how I would. I need someone with like... arms, and human proportions to do something and I cannot envision Demo (or Iris) in any way in my head that makes sense. It's a different mindset that I don't know how to get into :s
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

I tried a cat person yesterday and it sucked, so I tried again today. Phone photo quality for now :1

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

*casually sneaks a post in*

*burrows into ground and mutters something about Warcraft*
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Turnip PIXEL ART??? WHUT???

Post by TaviTurnip »

First pixel art I've done since this time last year u_u It was fun, I had a small chill stream that I didn't even think to advertise here because I'm forgetful. It was relaxing and this took about four hours and I'm hungry and happy.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Nice style and colors there. Shading works well.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Re: Turnip sketches: actually pixels

Post by TaviTurnip »

Late thanks, Willhart~

Did these quick for a Certain Project™ and thought they were cute enough. They accidentally came out vaguely Paper Marioish because of the line thickness and I like how it looks.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

And the turnip prices went up to 400 bells that day <3
video games
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

So fun fact, I'm an idiot and didn't realize who Mandew was on dA until about six days ago `~` I followed you totally independent of that knowledge. Oops ;D

Dopey quick thing that was actually vent art. Just a silly idea after the Switch was revealed. I've had squids on the mind lately anyways.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

TaviTurnip wrote:So fun fact, I'm an idiot and didn't realize who Mandew was on dA until about six days ago `~` I followed you totally independent of that knowledge. Oops ;D

Dopey quick thing that was actually vent art. Just a silly idea after the Switch was revealed. I've had squids on the mind lately anyways.
HAHA! Sorry for not telling you earlier @_@
video games
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

I've been doing a teensy bit of commission work on dA again, partially for the fun and partially for the money I desperately need `~`

Image Image Image Image Image
Have some EVIL PONIES they are an affront to life and goodness itself and also they are small and blinky.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

ayyy I've actually done more pixels in-between drawing cute animu grillz

This was a commission for someone and will soon be a Twitch emote :D I'm excited to subscribe and spam it around.
Long overdue Inkling boy that I finished like six months after I drew a pair of girls. Nothing too fancy. Don't look at his sleeve.

Also if anyone wanted some update on how sketches have gone the past half year, you can have a panda girl.
Just recently got a new-old scanner in the apartment so brightness is a bit iffy right now u~u
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

It has been. A very long time since I posted here. I got a tablet in early 2019! Somehow that was two years ago. The passage of time is a huge lie. A lot has changed in that time. Sadly I am still not a fulltime pixel artist :( Although I do have an increasing number of emotes I've drawn on various Twitch channels, so that's cool.

Also just like a sprinkling of recent digital art 'cause yeah.
Just some of my favorite stuff that I've done `~` Hope it's not way too much for one post.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator

Post by TaviTurnip »

Just a little something I did for Susie's birthday =3=