(shouting)

Kappy's Doodles

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Kapus
Master of Hiccup
First name: boogity boo
Pronouns: Vegetable

Kappy's Doodles

Post by Kapus »

Hi!

I draw and sprite a lot in my free time. I've been doing it since about 2011 or so, whether to make gifts for my friends or to just express my imagination. I greatly value creativity and love to bring my thoughts to life this way. You could say that art is my passion! I don't think that my art is super great, but as of now it is my strongest ability.

With that aside, here are some of my works.

NOTE - A lot of these drawings are a ton bigger than they appear here, so if you want to see them at full size, visit the image url!

Sprites

Here is a curious little bee girl named Sue. She is a character I created for a platformer game concept I had in mind which stars little anthropomorphic insects. I've been working on these sprites for quite a while now, and they have changed a lot over time (as you can see through the evolution bar). The sprites I have done here are pretty basic platformer flair--Standing, walking, jumping, etc. I do have more sets of sprites made for this character, but they are very outdated as of today, using an older version of the base sprite. I'm working on updating all of the old sprites as well as making new ones!

Here is Sue wearing a helmet--or rather, an acorn cap fashioned as protective headgear. She can also throw it as a boomerang type weapon! This is an item/power up that I thought would be cool in a platforming environment.

Since most of these sprites are made as animations, I decided to put some of them together in gif as examples. Here they are!
ImageImage
ImageImage

I will update this with more sprites as I work.

From Sometime in 2014 I dunno - This is a character sheet for SMBX, complete with power ups! This was made to replace Peach in a little mod I was doing just for fun and practice.
Colored Drawings
From June 2014 - A soft little drawing of my persona making bubbles in a cloudy little dreamspace. This drawing actually started off as a little doodle but quickly turned into something bigger as I started experimenting with colors and soft backgrounds. The result was something that felt very serene and dreamy, so I was real happy with the result.

From August 2013 - I love the Kirby series! And one of my favorite titles from that series, since I was a little one, is Kirby's Dreamland 3. To show my love for it, I drew my favorite enemy--Keke. The cute little witch thing that gives you Clean ability. She's adorable!
The background of the drawing is based on the first stage in which Keke makes an appearance. I did my best to replicate the game's crayon like artstyle!

From September 2013 - A quick, simple little profile drawing of Sue. I like this one for the transparent, watery appearance it has.

From February 2014 - Sue again, this time drawn for a Valentine's Day occasion!

..I drew this just so I could make puns.

From May 2014 - Optimism! This was drawn after I had returned from a hiatus earlier this year.

From March 2013 - It's the thought that counts!

From April 2013 - A gift I drew for a friend who really liked the Super Mario Galaxy series. This picture is rather unique amongst my gallery due to its style. I really like it I feel it's great for the time it was drawn. Perhaps I should redo it with my current skills..

From April 20120 -
It's a Dwebble! Yeah!

From January 2015 - This is Princess Rainbow. She hails from the happy-go-lucky Lolipop Kingdom, where everyone thrives off of happiness and rainbows (literally!) However, her home was eventually invaded by a bunch of hellish monsters that feed off the happiness and rainbows of the citizens, turning them into colorless beings of sadness. The princess sets off to right this wrong!

She is armed with a little knife, but it isn't lethal! Poking people with it will just cause them to laugh, getting some of their happiness back.

From January 2015 - A gift for my sister Medley!

From February 2015 -
I feel like this character has too many different colors in their color scheme (all of them being rather strong) so I started experimenting with some stuff. My result is in the middle, taking the hat and scarf and putting them as one color. The tones in the dress and hair are also changed a bit to flow together. The original color scheme is to the right!

I dunno if this is an improvement or not and I'd love to hear some thoughts from someone who knows a lot about color theory! (or anyone really!)

Doodles and Sketches
From May 2014 - I'm Kapus!!

Yeah!

From June 2014 - : >

From August 2013 - It's a Boo! He has a question.

From June 2014 - Mystia incorrectly interprets Rumia's body language.

From July 2014 - Pessimism.

From January 2014 - A very quick, single layer doodle of Elias, the fairy of water. She is from Panel de Pon! I consider this piece a doodle despite it technically being colored.
Quite a few of these pieces are a little bit old (dating back to 2013). The reason being that I had been busy with college work for the majority of this year so I wasn't able to draw as much as I usually like to. I am on my Winter break now though so I am drawing and spriting more once again. I have many more drawings than I have posted here, and I intend to periodically update this topic with some of my older stuff as well as brand new stuff as I make them.

Regardless, I know talkhaus has some really talented artsy people, so any and all feedback on the sprites/drawings would be welcome--even though some of them are old. I haven't drawn as much this year so I can still learn from them.
Last edited by Kapus 1 year ago, edited 10 times in total.
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Re: Kapus' Digital Kanvas

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

These drawings make my voices feel all fuzzy inside
That crazy voice dude
Kapus
Master of Hiccup

Post by Kapus »

My life mission has been accomplished.
Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Post by Medley »

I have been waiting eons for this
Pyon!
InsaneIntentions1
Skeleton
First name: Newsome

Post by InsaneIntentions1 »

Kapus wrote:My life mission has been accomplished.
Ascend to level skeleton
That crazy voice dude
dr_vblschrf
may or may not be an actual fox
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by dr_vblschrf »

aaaaah those sprites are adorable!
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

All your things are SUPER CUTE!, and the Kirby 3 style emulation in that one pic is spot-on.

Look forward to seeing more!
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup

Post by Kapus »

Thank you! I really love your artwork swirlybomb, so hearing that from you is quite encouraging.

-----

From July 2014 - Pessimism.

From May 2014 - Optimism! This was drawn after I had returned from a hiatus earlier this year.

From March 2013 - It's the thought that counts!
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Gosh everything looks so soft I just wanna poke at it
Kapus
Master of Hiccup

Post by Kapus »

I've been pretty busy this past week and weekend! Here's a couple more stuff.

From January 2014 - A very quick, single layer doodle of Elias, the fairy of water. She is from Panel de Pon! I consider this piece a doodle despite it technically being colored.

From April 2013 - A gift I drew for a friend who really liked the Super Mario Galaxy series. This picture is rather unique amongst my gallery due to its style. I really like it I feel it's great for the time it was drawn. Perhaps I should redo it with my current skills..

From April 20120 -
It's a Dwebble! Yeah!

He's got shinies around him.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup

Post by Kapus »

Something new! Sorta!

This is something I sketched quite some time ago (a third of a year ago or so) but wasn't able to complete due to being busy. I finished it up today while going through my unfinished-drawings-backlog!

This is Princess Rainbow. She hails from the happy-go-lucky Lolipop Kingdom, where everyone thrives off of happiness and rainbows (literally!) However, her home was eventually invaded by a bunch of hellish monsters that feed off the happiness and rainbows of the citizens, turning them into colorless beings of sadness. The princess sets off to right this wrong!

She is armed with a little knife, but it isn't lethal! Poking people with it will just cause them to laugh, getting some of their happiness back.

That wasn't a bunch of silly nonsense that I wrote on the spot. Honest.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup

Post by Kapus »

This is Medley's character. I drew it as a gift the other day.

devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

that is adorable omg
Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Post by Medley »

There is literally no way you don't know by now

but I still need to express just how much I love this♥♥♥
Pyon!
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Kapus wrote:Thank you! I really love your artwork swirlybomb, so hearing that from you is quite encouraging.
Still cute
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup

Post by Kapus »

I feel like this character has too many different colors in their color scheme (all of them being rather strong) so I started experimenting with some stuff. My result is in the middle, taking the hat and scarf and putting them as one color. The tones in the dress and hair are also changed a bit to flow together. The original color scheme is to the right!

I dunno if this is an improvement or not and I'd love to hear some thoughts from someone who knows a lot about color theory! (or anyone really!)
Grey V

Post by Grey V »

I don't think there's anything that should stop a character from being a multitude of characters, however, I do feel the middle result feels better than the original. I think the reduced number of colors does help as it makes the character a bit less busy, visually speaking. I think it also helps that the colors you went for seem a little more focused in the "cool" side of things, with the brown and green being a little more subdued compared to the original coloration. I think it also helps because it makes the character pop a little more (though I do see you upped the brightness of her hair at by a tad, which isn't bad). This can be nice because it can let let her metaphorically sort of shine out of her outfit instead of the outfit outshining the character. Though, this in itself is also up for debate on which you consider more essential in the idea of the character.

I think I recall hearing somewhere that the magic number for colors in a character design is three, though that's not necessarily a hard rule, and you've done well with what you got in this character I think. I think you do well with the four here, with the most striking or bold colors in her outfit being the brown, blue and green, while her light tones of her skin and small wings (I know they are different between the white and the skin tone, but the feel like they have similar enough visual impact to be lumped together) working well as the sort of backdrop those colors lay upon.

The character is adorable by the way. You should feel awesome about how you draw.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup

Post by Kapus »

That was some very detailed and helpful insight. Thank you so much for your input! I'd like some second opinions, but that was very helpful.

Also this character is heavily inspired by the player character of cat planet, so I can't take all the credit for its design, haha. Thank you though!
UnclePutte
Potatoes do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready
First name: Putte

Post by UnclePutte »

I think that spriting is wiz. Like, something you'd expect in a finished commercial game.
Kapus
Master of Hiccup

Post by Kapus »

Thank you!! That's extremely flattering to hear, but I'm glad you like it that much!

Speaking of sprites, I completely forgot I had made this sheet some time last year.

This is a character sheet for SMBX, complete with power ups! This was made to replace Peach in a little mod I was doing just for fun and practice. MAGLX2 is just around the corner so I think this is appropriately topical to show off!
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Kapus' Digital Kanvas

Post by Sorel »

Hm, if you expand the sheet a bit more you could convert it into a real Peach spritesheet for SMBX. It's almost finished (as Peach has a few sprites less than the Mario Brothers).
Kapus
Master of Hiccup

Post by Kapus »

It's only missing the powerup-less sprites so yes that could be done easily.
Mystick
Pronouns: he/him/his!

Post by Mystick »

Your art

your
YOUR ART

is
ADORABLE

FNNGHGHNFs <3

Could you draw a gory picture just to see how CUTE you can make it?
Yo'
Kapus
Master of Hiccup

Post by Kapus »

gosh, thank you!!!

I'm not interested in gore at all, but I guess I could try it to see how it goes. My artstyle is traditionally cartoony though so it might be a bit difficult
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

It'll just be like Metal Slug, where it's actually really bloody and disgusting but instead you're like "Ha, cool"
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw