(shouting)

The Art of Sound

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Sharkenaa

The Art of Sound

Post by Sharkenaa »

Music, if you will.

I've been making music for over a year now. Started somewhere in May-June 2008. I used the freeware version of Finale NotePad. It wasn't capable of much, after all, it was merely a notation software, not an actual program suitable for composing. Now I'm using FL Studio, which many are familiar with, as it's one of the best programs out there.

Influence stuff; I think my first influences came from Nobuo Uematsu, the composer of the Final Fantasy series. Well, I did listen to FF soundtracks quite a lot back then. Then came next the music from NanoTek Warrior. It was probably in August 2008. After that, I don't really know what I listened to, or where the influences came from.
When Rao started LP'ing SMarisaW, I was introduced to the Touhou series. Back then I hadn't heard much about it, but now I know it fairly well, considering it's been only about two months since I started playing the games. But the music. I've been listening to it way too much, but I just can't resist. I've got some influences from ZUN, the creator, mostly the extreme way of using snare has made me to use snare in a more "my way" as a lack of better term, I s'pose. The toms are still my nemesis of the drum kit, though.

Enough blabbering, examples, if you care: http://www.tindeck.com/users/Sharkenaa (scroll down a little)

Those are some of the most recent ones from me.
The "Slam" is kind of rare song from me. The mixing is quite horrible on it, though.

I have waaayy too much problems in trying to come up with a good name for a certain song. So I just throw a word or two as the name and it ends being like; "Stuff", "Things", "Yay", "Theme A" etc.

Any other composers here?
prsnth1111

Re: The Art of Sound

Post by prsnth1111 »

I compose. Sometimes in a movie score kind of style, sometimes in a classical style (which may not appeal to everyone here). This is a composition I wrote in my last year of high school, "Fishermen of the Nagara River"

http://www.box.net/shared/9bbskf4rrq
Generic CAW

Post by Generic CAW »

I've been producing for a few years now. I use FL Studio as well, as I feel it gets the job done without being too complex.
I usually produce electronic music, such as trance or house, but also some hip hop from time to time. Most probably just know me from the raocow remixes though.
Sharkenaa

Post by Sharkenaa »

prsnth1111 wrote:I compose. Sometimes in a movie score kind of style, sometimes in a classical style (which may not appeal to everyone here). This is a composition I wrote in my last year of high school, "Fishermen of the Nagara River"

http://www.box.net/shared/9bbskf4rrq
My songs tend to sound movie-fitting often, too. Though I like to avoid it, since I'd rather be a video game composer for living than movie composer. There are some distinct differences between game music and movie music, imo. Unless it's a cutscene in a game, then movie music fits it, too.

Also, I don't understand people who downright despise classical music. There wouldn't be the music we now know without classical, now would there? I do like all kinds of music, even some heavy/pounding music sometimes. But I have to agree, there are some absolutely beautiful classical pieces.
prsnth1111

Post by prsnth1111 »

Well, movie music is meant for rather rigid circumstances, a particular scene with one particular climactic moment, or transition, etc. Video game music is meant (usually) to be played in the background, sometimes looping, so it doesn't have to adhere to those same requirements.

People despise classical music because can be relatively complex and harder to enjoy, not the kind of thing you can just put on the radio and have everyone love. But for those who do, it can be the most satisfying.
FRK

Post by FRK »

My dad's a composer/music producer.
I tried to make some music in GarageBand after kwwrr influenced me, but it turned out really bad.
serious hoagie

Post by serious hoagie »

I like your music Sharkenaa.
Sharkenaa

Re: The Art of Piano Sound

Post by Sharkenaa »

Uhm, thanks.

My most recent piano pieces:

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/nxmb - Inspired by a certain song from Elfen Lied -anime's later episode's scene. Based on only what I heard in the anime. I haven't heard the song anywhere else.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/whfx - I was watching this Finnish guy's video blog on YouTube, and he played some random songs on piano as he was waiting for coffee to be ready. Every time I watch someone play piano, I wish I could play that well. I do have a keyboard, but I can't really play it well. Well enough to improvise - which is kinda fun at times - though. After the video I decided to improvise something, and got the four simple notes, which play almost through the entire song, on the paper. Well, the computer screen.

http://www.tindeck.com/listen/mwyy - It's a while since I composed this one, so I don't really remember if anything inspired me to create this. I'm really satisfied how the whole delay-thing turned out.

You maybe noticed that my songs use a certain theme throughout them. I don't know if it's a good or a bad thing, but that's my style, I suppose. That's just how they end up sounding.

And no, this isn't the topic for just my music. Feel free to post your own work, too.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

Most of the music I've been composing is for various hacks and such (i.e. Acoustic Castle in TSRPR, Celestial Tower in SMW2+3, as well as works of my own). I've done about 75-80 custom compositions in the past year, with this being my most recent (which, once again, is for a hack).

I suppose what separates me from most other people musically related is that I have absolute pitch, which allows me to tell what a note is if I hear it. Using this skill, I've been reconstructing and resequencing MP3s in FL Studio, which I then convert to MIDI and upload to VGMusic.

I suppose if I had to pick a personal favorite resequence, it would be this one (again, hack).

You can find all of my resequences, and about 10% of my compositions here.
Sharkenaa

Re: The Art of HEARING - I know, it's like, oh man!

Post by Sharkenaa »

S.N.N. wrote:I suppose what separates me from most other people musically related is that I have absolute pitch, which allows me to tell what a note is if I hear it.
Argh, that is so useful ability, but I just don't have the patience to learn it. Solo-pieces would be much easier to create if you'd be able to recognise a notes pitch.

If a melody starts with A, I could probably figure out that and one or two more notes, but that's as far as my note-picking-by-ear goes. Don't even mention chords!