(shouting)

Rixi's pixels and sounds and stuff

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Rixi's pixels and sounds and stuff

Post by Rixithechao »

I've honestly stopped bothering to update this OP, just check the latter pages for my most recent work.

GIFs:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Still Sprites/Sheets:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Illustrations:
ImageImageImage
Music: Unfinished/Miscellaneous:
Original post:
So this isn't that thing I mentioned in the intro thread, but it may or may not be related to it! :D

Not quite satisfied with the ghost guy just yet, the front bottom part of the first sprite doesn't look fabric-y enough and the posture/proportions of the second definitely differ too much from the first. Gotta make the hands smaller, perhaps if I make the bottom wider mumble mumble mumble...
Last edited by Rixithechao 2 years ago, edited 9 times in total.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Re: Pixel picture things and stuff

Post by Unaniem »

Dang son.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

No shit dawg, you can do this really good. Keep up the good work.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Rocky vs. Feenicks vs. Icelink vs. Unaniem vs. Jappio vs. Learning-Timebuster

The Wheel of Fate is turning...
Rebel 1, Action!

(Nice sprites btw, they look amazing!)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

We have so many goddamn amazing spriters, JEEEEEZ.

JUST LOOK AT THEM VIBRANT COLORS.
devil†zukin

Post by devil†zukin »

i really like the ghost
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Rockythechao wrote: So this isn't that thing I mentioned in the intro thread, but it may or may not be related to it! :D

Not quite satisfied with the ghost guy just yet, the front bottom part of the first sprite doesn't look fabric-y enough and the posture/proportions of the second definitely differ too much from the first. Gotta make the hands smaller, perhaps if I make the bottom wider mumble mumble mumble...
Damn, ghosty looks like something straight out of a Mario and Luigi RPG. Incredible!
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Glad y'all enjoy them!
KobaBeach wrote:Rocky vs. Feenicks vs. Icelink vs. Unaniem vs. Jappio vs. Learning-Timebuster

Rebel 1, Action!

It's an honor to be mentioned alongside such awesome artists! Hope I can live up to the standards they've set! I'm guessing Chaosyx and Terry are the secret super-difficult bosses, right?
Ivy wrote:Damn, ghosty looks like something straight out of a Mario and Luigi RPG. Incredible!
The Mario & Luigi games have always been a major influence, they're such perfect games! I love how colorful and smooth and expressive AlphaDream's animations are, and they just get better and better with each installment... Haven't finished Dream Team yet, I need to get back to that game soon.

ImageImage

I gave the furba way too many frames, but dagnabbit I wanted that skip and bouncy shades because that totally goes with the attitude I established with the still sprite. Yeah. Also the fur doesn't change direction on the way down like it should so that is yet another thing I'll need to address eventually.

I didn't get around to fixing the ghost sprites, but they were admittedly a bit of a distraction... gotta finish Demo's sprites and a few other existing enemies first and I'll come back to him later. For now, though, I have about 4 hours to nap and prepare for an out-of-town trip. I'll update again on Monday or Tuesday. Cheers, everyone!
Last edited by Rixithechao 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

Really digging the style here! This looks just like the kind of art I wish I could make.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

KobaBeach wrote:Rocky vs. Feenicks vs. Icelink vs. Unaniem vs. Jappio vs. Learning-Timebuster

Rebel 1, Action!

Uh... why do I get this reference even though I don't get it at the same time?
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

FluffiMasta wrote: Uh... why do I get this reference even though I don't get it at the same time?
BlazBlue. It's a story-heavy fighting game series that I really need to get into once I actually learn how to play fighting games besides Smash Bros.

A WILD SHEATH APPEARED! Look at her twirling her ponytail there. She's gonna be a fun one to animate, so much detail compared to the other characters. Also hey, big Demo and the little bow thing and the catfish guy, ASMT-style (gotta find the reference for all these enemies' names).

I also pixeled
the Charlie from the shirt and the key boss
a few weeks ago and was hoping to dig those back up and update them, but I couldn't find 'em anywhere. So I took out my frustration on the fish by animating him.
That oughta teach you, little guy! Maybe next time you'll think twice about past me having horrible organizational skills!

Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Really love the bouncing shades on the furba, little details like that grant so much wonderful character and emotion to the animation.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

hnnnnnnnnnngggggggg you are amazing aaaaaaaaaa

Rockythechao wrote:Not quite satisfied with the ghost guy just yet, the front bottom part of the first sprite doesn't look fabric-y enough and the posture/proportions of the second definitely differ too much from the first. Gotta make the hands smaller, perhaps if I make the bottom wider mumble
I really don't see anything wrong with the posture/proportions being different, especially since it's an M&L-esque cartoony huge reaction, it's really fitting (also they don't look all that different to me anyway).
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Heads up, I'll be gone again from Wednesday through the weekend, and while I'll have a few days free during that timespan I'll be spending a significant portion of it with family. I'm hoping to push out another decently-sized update either here or for the engine before I leave.

Until then, here's a quick update with a couple of super-WIP guys from the ASMT rogue's gallery, our good buddies the Blood God and Bubonic Paul!

I seriously need to stop putting so much detail into these things, it's gonna come back to bite me in the hindquarters when I animate them...

Is he missing an arm because I haven't bothered to draw it yet, or is it just a stylistic choice? You decide!

I think for now the only other characters I've got left are Iris, the Cat-Llama and King Charles & the Charlies. There's still plently of ASMT and comic characters to do and I have a few other original enemy ideas, but these are more than enough for the purpose of starting out with the engine. I have those block sprites in the prototype but I'm probably going to switch them back to regular Mario blocks for the time being, and I'll continue to use the ASMBXT/A2MBXT item sprites.
swirlybomb wrote:hnnnnnnnnnngggggggg you are amazing aaaaaaaaaa
I appreciate it, but I'm no Paul Robertson :D
(Fair warning for anyone planning to Google the guy, some of his work is NSFW.)
I really don't see anything wrong with the posture/proportions being different, especially since it's an M&L-esque cartoony huge reaction, it's really fitting (also they don't look all that different to me anyway).
I think the edits to the second one helped, but yeah, they're at the very least good enough for now. I've really got my work cut out for me so it would be silly of me to dawdle and keep fiddling with him.

More small text because rule of three

Unaniem

Post by Unaniem »

It's really interesting to see black plague drawn in a rather unconventional style.
Or at the very least I haven't seen him drawn that way before.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Unaniem wrote:It's really interesting to see black plague drawn in a rather unconventional style.
Or at the very least I haven't seen him drawn that way before.
I wanted to distance him from the Big Boo recolor design, and I also kinda took it as a challenge to see if I could make him legit scary/creepy/mildly intimidating. I figured a more gaseous form would work for both of those and fit the embodiment of a deadly epidemic...

...and then I actually watched more of the SMI playthroughs besides just the infamous final battle clip and skimmed the plot descriptions on the wiki pages. So he's, like, some ancient demon who possesses an evil wizard and commands a vegan empire and he has this tight real estate gig going in this hyperspace gem world and there's this prophecy wand...?

Screw it, I still haven't finished Drama Mistery or the recent TSRPR, I'll catch up on my classic rao later. As far as I'm concerned BP's the psychic alien prime minister of Zanzibar Land.

Arright, let's see if I can get another engine update in within the hour 40 35 minutes I have left tonight.

Unaniem

Post by Unaniem »

Rockythechao wrote:Image
This looked adorable so I made fanart:
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

That is a VERY cool take on black plague! :D

Your explanation of it reminds me that I had done something similar with a Phanto Boss, for a Halloween fan-game that I never finished two years ago. I had a better canvas, with less-edited sprites, but I can't find it. Now I'm sad! D:

Spoilered for potential nightmare-fuel boss sprite. Not sure how scary it would be considered. >.>
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Icelink256 wrote:That is a VERY cool take on black plague! :D

Your explanation of it reminds me that I had done something similar with a Phanto Boss, for a Halloween fan-game that I never finished two years ago. I had a better canvas, with less-edited sprites, but I can't find it. Now I'm sad! D:

Spoilered for potential nightmare-fuel boss sprite. Not sure how scary it would be considered. >.>
OH MY GOODNESS GRACIOUS, NIGHTMARE ALERT [/sarcasm]

Good job there, budday
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Icelink256 wrote:That is a VERY cool take on black plague! :D

Castlevania Bros. 2; would buy.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

Oops does Iris officially have that 'hime cut' hairstyle? I guess so, I'll have to make a note of that.

PHANTO WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Unaniem wrote:This looked adorable so I made fanart:
Hello, new wallpaper!
Ivy wrote:Castlevania Bros. 2; would buy.
This.

So I wrote this post like five times and kept putting off publishing it 'cause of distractions / compulsively messing with the sprites, but I'm a doof and keep typing it up it in the browser instead of in a word processor and then my browser crashes or I accidentally close the entire window instead of a single tab or something and blargh.

To make a long story short, I'm taking all these trips because of college stuff causing scheduling conflicts with family summer traditions -- summer's the only semester they offer the capstone courses, and I'm graduating and then pretty much immediately transferring to another university out of town -- so a bunch of different things that are usually spread out over 2/3 months are getting crammed into weekends and whatever other free time we can get.

So yeah, great timing on my part to start this whole engine project. But it's getting there, I'm thinking I'll have it stable and feature-complete enough to upload the source soon-ish (by which I mean anywhere from several weeks to a couple months or more, depending on life and stuff) so everyone can start messing around with it.

Here's an art thing:
And another one for good measure.

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly

Post by swirlybomb »

THOSE THWOMPS THOUGH
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend

Post by Bwarch »

Oh my god those Thwomps though.

I really want to see this stuff used in something.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Please.. for the love of everything... someone draw that thwomp. It is glorious looking.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P