(shouting)

Chaoxys sprite stuff place

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Grounder

Re: Midas Machine stuff place

Post by Grounder »

Chaoxys wrote:Sorry for the bump, but I'm working on something new and I need some talkhaus flavored help.

I'm working on a new tileset (it may look a bit familiar to some...), and I need something a bit specific. Basically, I need a dropped ASMT/ASXT/A2XT enemy/boss design. Preferably something that was around for a while and will be recognizable, not something that was brought up and shot down right away, then forgotten.
There was that green Demo enemy from A2MT.

It might be too late now, even if Green Demo ENEMY is fatter than Iris in he current Luigiesque design.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Nin wrote:Perhaps something from A2MT? There is a whole bunch of things that could work (like Parrot Boom-Boom.)
Oh, a parrot Boom-Boom? That sounds interesting. Could you possibly PM me an image of it? I don't want to give too much away, but I plan on hiding a room in a special level of the game that will feature a number of dropped enemies as an easter egg.
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Slimeman01 »

I am excited for the full release!
Also, maybe you could somehow add a bonus world only available if you download it from the talkhaus, which uses the ASMBXT Sprites :)
If that's too complicated, just add it as a bonus world (with raocows permission of course)
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Slimeman01 wrote:I am excited for the full release!
Also, maybe you could somehow add a bonus world only available if you download it from the talkhaus, which uses the ASMBXT Sprites :)
If that's too complicated, just add it as a bonus world (with raocows permission of course)
The ASMT sprites I made are already planned to show up in the game, and not in a bonus level, but an actual main game level.

Also, heres something that I'm thinking looks pretty gouda... Sorry for the pun, I should know cheddar... I'll brie leaving now...

Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Random new level screenshot blowout sale.

DrTapeworm
IT'S NEITHER KISSY NOR CUTIE, IT'S TRASH
Pronouns: they/them

Post by DrTapeworm »

oh wow i am loving the look of that giant grassland level. everything else looks great too

also vending machines in the death water
"The apex predator Spinosaurus, a dinosaur, would later develop a similar sail in an example of convergent evolution, thereby cheating Dimetrodon out of royalties." -Sad Dinosaur Facts
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

DrTapeworm wrote:oh wow i am loving the look of that giant grassland level. everything else looks great too

also vending machines in the death water
The giant tiles/BG/enemies are some of the newest sprites I've made for it, so they are all super up to date, so I'm rather proud of them. The level itself is a bit different from most MM level as it branches off in a zigzag fashion. You can either go straight through the level, or take the split paths that all drop you off on the main path near where the next split begins.

As for the vending machines, that takes place in a factory in the jungle world. Seems the factory sunk into a poisonous swamp that it was built on and has become overgrown.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Thought I'd go ahead and show a new level I'm working on because I'm actually have a lot of fun testing it. I'm currently calling it "Famished Flowers".

The main idea of the level is shown off right at the beginning. Rail platforms, and the small flowerish enemies, Nippers, Munchers, and Crunchers (Cruncher is an original enemy for MM, it's the one with the more jagged mouth).

It's not just about having the player riding the platforms. As you can see here, other enemies can too, which can be dangerous since those Nippers will still leap up at the player while moving.

A later section has you climbing up while sets of enemy covered rail platforms move up and down, meaning you have to time things out.

Just a little fun fact, the original version of this level was a muncher run styled level and it was called "Tiny Bitey Jerks", but then I realized that "bitey" isn't a word.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Some never before seen NPCs (I think).

Captain Neville Moore and his Dry Craw Crew (The captain was designed by Wheeljerk, and exMFGG member)

A Mook, and it's boss, Big Pamooka (both designed by Spritey from MFGG)

Peppigo and Peppita

EDIT- I think I'll change Peppita's flower to a different color so it stands out more.
Friendly Dictator
rad

Post by Friendly Dictator »

oh man i love these designs
Money

Post by Money »

man i dont think ive ever said this but all your stuff's super good
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Okay, so I'm working on ideas with different shops and what not, and my newest concept (may not actually be in the game, but still), is that most worlds shops will function in the same manner, the items the shops have will get better later in the game like in other games, however, some worlds will have "special" shops. To give an example of this, heres the owner of the "shop" in world 3.

Instead of an actual shop, you will sometimes see a shaking pot in levels. If you interact with it, Polterpup will pop out. The game will inform you that he has an item in his mouth, but that he's also distracted by your shiny coins. If you choose to part with a specific amount of coins, he will drop the item for you. What is the item? You won't know until you pay. It will most likely be an item that you could get in the first two worlds shops (the amount you give Polterpup could be less than the item would normally cost), however on rare occasions, he may drop rare end game items.

Heres a few other shop owners
Charlieton, Lady Viñar, and Takkoot
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Re: Chaoxys sprite stuff place

Post by Chaoxys »

Shock and possibly also some awe? Yup, something that isn't Midas related.

Yup, Paper Demo... well, kinda. It's not exactly the Paper Mario style, it's actually based on the graphics I did for a fangame called "Paper Mario 3D Land".
http://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&par ... 2&id=30485

I actually have some random other sprites I want to do like this for fun based on an idea for a full on Paper Demo RPG (granted, said game will never be made, but it should still be fun to make some sprites).
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

it's basically paper mario 64 style
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Slimeman01
Minecraft Lore Creationist
First name: Matt

Post by Slimeman01 »

Chaoxys wrote:Shock and possibly also some awe? Yup, something that isn't Midas related.

Yup, Paper Demo... well, kinda. It's not exactly the Paper Mario style, it's actually based on the graphics I did for a fangame called "Paper Mario 3D Land".
http://mfgg.net/index.php?act=resdb&par ... 2&id=30485

I actually have some random other sprites I want to do like this for fun based on an idea for a full on Paper Demo RPG (granted, said game will never be made, but it should still be fun to make some sprites).
You worked on that game!?
I love that game
:iris: :demo:
raocow wrote:To answer your question Slimeman yes that is super fine
raocow wrote:alright guys what are the weirdest levels of world 4 ?! Make sure to pay attention to tomorrow's video as this may alter your answer!!
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Ivy wrote:it's basically paper mario 64 style
Theres a number of differences between the styles such as how shading, AA, and outlines are handled, plus a more vivid palette, amongst other things, but yes, they are very similar as the PM3DL style was based directly from PM. The general idea was to take the style and pretty it up some.
Slimeman01 wrote: You worked on that game!?
I love that game
Glad to hear it. I know DJ Coco who made it, and I was looking at some shots he made for it when I noticed that the original PM sprites he was using looked really dark and rough compared to the other graphics in his game, so I went over all the sprites and remade them.

Little fun fact, I also helped with the boss fights. Yup, I'm the guy who made the final boss go on for way too long! Funny thing is that the original plan was a lot more interesting, but it was trimmed down towards the end.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Got bored, went back, edited the sprite into an actual PM styled sprite. Basically, it got rid of most of the shading, swapped out the colors, tweaked the outlines a bit, removed/changed a lot of the AA, and messed with a few other details that had to be changed as a result of the other changes.

I never realized until now how inconsistent the PM style was. A lot of it is things that you generally won't notice while playing the game, but yeah, while looking up references for this sprite along, I noticed a lot of sprites doing completely different things compared to others. Of course, it isn't too uncommon for past Mario games (SMW for example) to have varying styles.\

On the bright side, I think spriting her in the original PM style has given me some ideas as to how I can improve the newer one.

EDIT-
More defined hair, additional shading/more subtle shading on parts, more internal outlines, ect
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

You're everything I wish I was in pixels :< Also non-single outline thickness looks very satisfying to get right. I love it.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

TaviTurnip wrote:You're everything I wish I was in pixels :< Also non-single outline thickness looks very satisfying to get right. I love it.
Working with thicker outlines can be super tricky, but the end results can be totally worth the time it takes. I actually have a project on the back burner that uses thicker outlines called Color Loco (temp title).
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

I present to you, a thing!
No Lynch
Pronouns: she

Post by No Lynch »

A Paper Demo Thing.

Very nice-looking, very cute!
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Your designs are quite neat. What I really like is that they fit into the style of sprite based mario games similar to the later kirby games, instead of making it all 3-D models. I Like the Dry Craw Crew seems like designs they seem like what we might see from a cannon mario game.

There are alot of neat little touches too like the giant fence in the background of the giant enemy levels.

I like the paper demo. but I'm not used to seeing a part in the front of demo's hair? I guess I'm used demo's hairstyles being scruffier and having the part in the hair off center. It's not an issue just something I noticed.

Your style has a really good fit to the mario style and those thick lines really make it pop.
Keep it up!
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

Zummorr wrote:Your designs are quite neat. What I really like is that they fit into the style of sprite based mario games similar to the later kirby games, instead of making it all 3-D models. I Like the Dry Craw Crew seems like designs they seem like what we might see from a cannon mario game.

There are alot of neat little touches too like the giant fence in the background of the giant enemy levels.

I like the paper demo. but I'm not used to seeing a part in the front of demo's hair? I guess I'm used demo's hairstyles being scruffier and having the part in the hair off center. It's not an issue just something I noticed.

Your style has a really good fit to the mario style and those thick lines really make it pop.
Keep it up!
Glad you like my stuff.

As for Demo's hair, that was just my personal take on it. I actually have my own designs for each of the siblings (I mean, they are close to their original designs, just with minor changes), so I may sprite them sometime, or at least Iris.
Chaoxys
Shocking, it's it?

Post by Chaoxys »

EDIT- and now that sprite is already obsolete as I've started remaking Kamek
Medley
The younger sister
First name: It's ambiguous, really
Pronouns:

Post by Medley »

absolutely regretting not checking this topic out earlier, your vibrant colors are giving me life
Pyon!