(shouting)

Ice Link's Junky Pixel Art

so this is where you can post any art related type things! i bet you couldn't have figured that out for yourself, huh! "I" still needs uppercase you dummy - oh yeah!? fight me!
Icelink256

Re: Ice Link's Junky Pixel Art

Post by Icelink256 »

So I was reviewing source code from an old (cancelled) hentai game I had been working on with a friend of mine. Working on taking out the adult aspects of it, to at least hold on to the solid gameplay engine I had developed for it.

I noticed a silly mistake in the enemy handling, if you happened to jump from a ledge, and land on an enemy sprite, you could get pushed into a wall tile, and get stuck! :lol:

So I added a fix, to push the player away in a completely different manner. Which added a rather unexpected feature!
It bounced the player upwards, as expected. But the player controls weren't locking correctly-- Effectively creating spin-jumping in a Zelda 3 engine! :shock:
...and all the talk about Zelda, over in the cartridge threads, helped to put this idea in my head. So this happened:
I may polish it up some more, and add to it later!

EDIT: I forgot a VERY important note here: This is actually a semi-functional game. Though Demo only slides around as a still sprite, as she has not been animated. She was drawn as two separate 16x16 sprites, just as Zelda 3's graphics were done.

Gameplay-wise, it feels a LOT a like how the Mario & Luigi games handled map exploration.
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
Pheonix
still the harpy guy

Post by Pheonix »

post-azct zelda collab when (and how would demo handle a sword, anyway?)

But yeah, that looks nice, and the spin jump thing sounds like a neat accident. The mountains look a bit funky right now, though: Zelda 3 mountains (which I guess you are emulating) were kinda funky as well, and I'm assuming you haven't got around to fixing up your ones to fit that perspective yet.
How would a zelda 3 h-game have worked, anyway?
pheonix/feenicks/ffeenicxkcs
https://twitter.com/ffeenixcks
Bwarch
Local Candy Fiend
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Bwarch »

Pheonix wrote:post-azct zelda collab when (and how would demo handle a sword, anyway?)
AU where Demo has telekinesis MAKE IT HAPPEN PEOPLE.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I think we've found an artist for A2ZT
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Frozelar
Retired Screamer

Post by Frozelar »

You are the pixel artist I've always wanted to be!!
I am very envious of your skillful... skills
Icelink256 wrote:
That thing is adorable! Can I have it?
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Pheonix wrote:post-azct zelda collab when (and how would demo handle a sword, anyway?)

But yeah, that looks nice, and the spin jump thing sounds like a neat accident. The mountains look a bit funky right now, though: Zelda 3 mountains (which I guess you are emulating) were kinda funky as well, and I'm assuming you haven't got around to fixing up your ones to fit that perspective yet.
Why would Demo need a sword? This engine has fully functional jumping. So she can just stomp them, as usual.

I've never liked that Zelda Classic template, it's no good for the taller, mountain cliffs. >.>
(Mine are directly based on tile indexes from Zelda 3, for the taller cliffs. So shorter cliff-sides may look a little strange, until I can be arsed to fix them.

...and yeah, I haven't really done too much to clean those tiles up, yet. I just mapped out the necessary tiles in 8x8 units, and kind of forgot that the game uses 16x16. Oops.
I may have been thinking of the GB game.
Pheonix wrote:How would a zelda 3 h-game have worked, anyway?
Well... >.>
It was a Zelda parody, with a re-imagined world lore to be more tolkien-esque, and a more involved story, strangely enough. (You would NOT believe the elaborate story we had written up for the Goron replacements!)

From a gameplay standpoint, it looked and played mostly like Zelda 3. With a few improvements, day/night cycle, weather, REALLY smart enemy AI, and a job system, you can also jump, which affects how you attack, with your various weapon classes, etc.
(Jumping also allowed the player to climb back up ledges, with height being the only restriction.)

For the erotic content, we actually used a fairly complicated system, based on player stats.
It was... fun. (A full week of planning out the systems, and then two days of coding it.)

The game was ultimately scrapped, because my friend (who was the main artist), had to leave to deal with some family business, which left me unable to provide art. (I had not gotten back to pixel art, at the time.)
Bwarch wrote:AU where Demo has telekinesis MAKE IT HAPPEN PEOPLE.
Like Order of Ecclesia? Mix and match magic glyphs to create STRONGER attacks!
...and have them hidden all over the damn place, too! I like that idea!
KobaBeach wrote:I think we've found an artist for A2ZT
An artist? Where!? :shock:
(I'm more the animating type. Most of my own content, is pretty bad looking.) >.>
:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2:
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

I'm still stumbling through my commission work, but I did this when I took a break. Progress:

Demo still doesn't walk, but at least she can slide around, and show which direction she's facing.
Spin-jumping frames are present, but I have yet to add the frames to the engine.
...and Furba!

Uh... Those weird looking cylinders and that sphere, were for sprite physics testing. Ignore those. >.>
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Icelink256 wrote:
Bwarch wrote:AU where Demo has telekinesis MAKE IT HAPPEN PEOPLE.
Like Order of Ecclesia? Mix and match magic glyphs to create STRONGER attacks!
...and have them hidden all over the damn place, too! I like that idea!
ASMT + Zelda + Copy Kitty... this seriously needs to be a thing.
KobaBeach wrote:I think we've found an artist for A2ZT
An artist? Where!? :shock:
(I'm more the animating type. Most of my own content, is pretty bad looking.) >.>
I'm sorry, are we looking at the same images? Because this stuff is pretty dang awesome :D
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Post by Unaniem »

Icelink256 wrote:An artist? Where!? :shock:
Dude I wish I had the pixel art skill you're showing here
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

More progress, did a few more enemy frames between things.
The attack for the caterpillar enemy, may or may not be based on a monster from Terranigma, on the SNES. (Those red and purple roly-poly things.) >.>

Tried a thing for a coin sprite, not too sure if I like it. It looks kinda cool, though. 8x16 sprite.

...and a compiled .gif, because why not?

I'm still working on world tiles behind the scenes, but solid-colored grids are boring, so those can wait to be posted! XD

EDIT: Seriously, people like my pixel art?!
I'm not that good, I've only been learning since February! O_o

EDIT 2: Okay, I wasn't going to post this until I had more progress on it-- But I JUST got this drawn, and it's my first pass at zelda-izing a Charlie!
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Ooh... wow! As of last night, I'm finally done with my commission work! Oh my god, that took SO long! XD

So, for some practice, and to relax for the remainder of the night, this happened!
...and a WIP strip, because why not?
...I tried to import my Zelda sprites into ALTTP, and the ROM visually exploded, now I want to rip my eyes out of their sockets. Oh well, I can just stick with custom coding! Screw ROM-hacking, for this project! I want to make custom enemies, and I have not seen too much of that in Zelda 3.
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Progress, I shifted gears towards porting my engine into a new project. So far I have most of the collision system transferred, minus the height detection system, which will require some careful planning to get it working again. The player can also interact with NPC sprites.

Also. Sprites! :O
EDIT
Okay, I'm a total butt and misjudged how the dimensions would appear in-browser. Here are 2X versions.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Icelink256 wrote:EDIT: Seriously, people like my pixel art?!
I'm not that good, I've only been learning since February! O_o
GUH

Everything here is sublime, as always.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

I haven't had time for art lately, because of the weather out here. But I have spent most of today, coding like a bastard! This is an enemy function, that duplicates the AI of the small green soldiers from ALTTP. It works quite nicely in my engine! :D

Though, there's no proper handler for non-player sprite collision with the map tiles, yet.

Code: Select all

init
dir rand 1-4
bhv set 0
ai set 0
dst set 0

proc
bhv 0
	-dir 1
	spr_y + 1
	dst + 1
	if dst = 56
		bhv set 1
	-dir 2
	spr_x - 1
	dst + 1
	if dst = 56
		bhv set 1
	-dir 3
	spr_x + 1
	dst + 1
	if dst = 56
		bhv set 1
	-dir 4
	spr_y - 1
	dst + 1
	if dst = 56
		bhv set 1
bhv 1
	-dir 1
	ai rand 1-2
	-if ai = 1
		wait 500
		ai rand 1-3
		-if ai = 1
			dir set 4
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
		-if ai = 2
			dir set 2
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
		-if ai = 3
			dir set 3
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
	-if ai = 2
		dst set 0
		bhv set 0
	-dir 2
	ai rand 1-2
	-if ai = 1
		wait 500
		ai rand 1-3
		-if ai = 1
			dir set 3
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
		-if ai = 2
			dir set 1
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
		-if ai = 3
			dir set 4
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
	-if ai = 2
		dst set 0
		bhv set 0
	-dir 3
	ai rand 1-2
	-if ai = 1
		wait 500
		ai rand 1-3
		-if ai = 1
			dir set 2
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
		-if ai = 2
			dir set 1
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
		-if ai = 3
			dir set 4
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
	-if ai = 2
		dst set 0
		bhv set 0
	-dir 4
	ai rand 1-2
	-if ai = 1
		wait 500
		ai rand 1-3
		-if ai = 1
			dir set 1
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
		-if ai = 2
			dir set 2
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
		-if ai = 3
			dir set 3
			dst set 0
			bhv set 0
	-if ai = 2
		dst set 0
		bhv set 0
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Ugh... It's been really damn hot out this way--
So much so, in fact, that I haven't been able to use my computer lately!

A quick look at the A2MT thread, reminded me, "draw that, stupid!" So I did this quickly.
I have never drawn a strawberry before. My apologies.

The lightning bolt tiles were mostly drawn in 8x8, so I can create a specialized pathfinder to arrange the tiles in randomized formations, if I were to program this ability into a game. Hmm... >.>
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

My PC died a horrible power unit related death. So I've been posting from my Nintendo 3DS, lately. Heh.

Here's a bro, I pixelled on my Windows 98 machine, on a blurred-ass old CRT, while I was waiting for repairs. I may animate him later.
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Oh hey, I haven't made a post here in forever!
As it turns out, my "Cat Quest" game earned me a professional job with Nintendo, so my priorities shifted, naturally!
2 of the 3 games I'm working on, will be appearing on the Nintendo e-Shop in the next couple of months.

Cat Quest, will still be NES homebrew, though! With possibly a cartridge release in the future.

So this post is relevant, here's a "Legacy of the Wizard", inspired spin-off.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Icelink256 wrote:As it turns out, my "Cat Quest" game earned me a professional job with Nintendo
HOLY SHIT

Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

Icelink256 wrote:Oh hey, I haven't made a post here in forever!
As it turns out, my "Cat Quest" game earned me a professional job with Nintendo, so my priorities shifted, naturally!
2 of the 3 games I'm working on, will be appearing on the Nintendo e-Shop in the next couple of months.

Cat Quest, will still be NES homebrew, though! With possibly a cartridge release in the future.

So this post is relevant, here's a "Legacy of the Wizard", inspired spin-off.
First of all holy crap congrats (has any other talkhauser been a Nintendo employee???).
Second of all you have some super nice pixel art yes.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Icelink256 wrote: As it turns out, my "Cat Quest" game earned me a professional job with Nintendo, so my priorities shifted, naturally!
1) Oh hey it's another great pixel artist!Image
2) Oh hey it's a successful pixel artist Image

I'm like 90% teasing Congrats though :P I'm glad that you got somewhere, and your art is really nice! And I'm tempted to hit you up in PM and ask you how things ended that way (on the eShop developing) for you, which I might do sometime shortly if that doesn't bother you too much.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

RenaTurnip wrote:2) Oh hey it's a successful pixel artist Image
Well, to be fair, I've been a successful programmer forever. The pixel art was just a recent side thing to amuse myself.
(14 months of pixel art, so far!)
RenaTurnip wrote:I'm like 90% teasing Congrats though :P I'm glad that you got somewhere, and your art is really nice! And I'm tempted to hit you up in PM and ask you how things ended that way (on the eShop developing) for you, which I might do sometime shortly if that doesn't bother you too much.
Feel free to ask away!

Do know, though. That I greatly detest both the Deviant Art, and Pixel Joint communities. (Both are too hostile/lazy.)
So suggestions to post on those sites, are not welcome. -_-
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Icelink256 wrote:Do know, though. That I greatly detest both the Deviant Art, and Pixel Joint communities. (Both are too hostile/lazy.)
So suggestions to post on those sites, are not welcome. -_-
I don't get along with pixel art people in either of those places at all. Anything related to "elitism" in pixel art turns me off, I'm knowledgeable and intelligent enough to know the difference between "oh man this doesn't conform to SNES standards" and "hey I'm freestyling and this is for fun" and anybody who's found themselves successful (that's you!) is already above these things in the first place. I'm definitely not looking to get you to post somewhere :P I just have an unfortunate history of not getting very far with devs/programmers and seeing someone who does both his own pixel art and programming is a little uplifting :(
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Icelink256

Post by Icelink256 »

Ah geez! I mention Cat Quest, and don't even bother to post any images of it, here! Oops.

...and while I'm at it--
Cat Quest II, and Cat Quest 3! Just graphical mock-ups, for future games. For my own amusement.
Cat Quest II is to be Zelda II/Wonderboy inspired, with a simple Mapper.
While Cat Quest 3, is based directly on Zelda 3. (mapper will probably be MMC3)

...and a Giana Sisters NES port! (not in development, this was just for fun!)