(shouting)

MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

deice
i feel like i'm talking weird. ah, goddamnit, oh well

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by deice »

ShockenStudios wrote: 3 years ago Alrighty then.
reminder that the new launcher hates windows 7. if you're attempting to start through the launcher and it's crashing, you should try directly going into "data" and opening the game from LunaLoader.exe
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

deice wrote: 3 years agoreminder that the new launcher hates windows 7. if you're attempting to start through the launcher and it's crashing, you should try directly going into "data" and opening the game from LunaLoader.exe
I used to use it in Windows 7 all the time as did most other people for quite some time. I'm quite sure whatever issues you're thinking of are not actually windows 7 related, and are to do with something else about the computer.
Also, the screenshot there has a window title that indicates ShockenStudios got past the launcher and the normal executable was launching, and the launcher just uses LunaLoader.exe itself to do that, so I would not expect this specific matter to be solved by going directly to LunaLoader.exe, unless it is the result of some very strange AV software behavior perhaps.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

I would not rule out "Very Strange AV Behavior" - I keep having to make an exception for SMBX in Avast because it keeps coming up as a false positive.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Why is it that Broadsword without a hat can't turn around when crouching? I can tell from the code it's very deliberate, just can't figure a reason as to why.
The way it's done interferes with a thing in my level... (by it forcing the left and right keys to 'false') Don't mean to imply I want anything updated, it's ultimately only a minor issue because I didn't test enough with Broadsword so that's something I'll just have to live with, but it made me wonder why his crouching is so separately handled to begin with.
fart.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

Duker wrote: 3 years ago Why is it that Broadsword without a hat can't turn around when crouching? I can tell from the code it's very deliberate, just can't figure a reason as to why.
The way it's done interferes with a thing in my level... (by it forcing the left and right keys to 'false') Don't mean to imply I want anything updated, it's ultimately only a minor issue because I didn't test enough with Broadsword so that's something I'll just have to live with, but it made me wonder why his crouching is so separately handled to begin with.
I cannot answer your question with anything more satisfying than "Broadsword does a lot of things really badly in code".
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Was thinking more about the design decision that he can't turn while small more so than the technical code aspect.

Anyway, does the fancy new UI stuff respect "Graphics.activateHud(false)"? If it doesn't it's gonna be a bit unfortunate for my level... And I realized I had no thought for re-enabling it after beating the level but I can only assume that would've been caught in your playtesting.
fart.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Duker wrote: 3 years agoAnyway, does the fancy new UI stuff respect "Graphics.activateHud(false)"?
Rest assured, it does respect that. Here, have a demo:

Duker wrote: 3 years agoAnd I realized I had no thought for re-enabling it after beating the level but I can only assume that would've been caught in your playtesting.
That setting (like many/most others) does not persist across level load, so it's fine. Level code doesn't have to worry about unsetting that.
ShockenStudios

Post by ShockenStudios »

Rednaxela wrote: 3 years ago
deice wrote: 3 years agoreminder that the new launcher hates windows 7. if you're attempting to start through the launcher and it's crashing, you should try directly going into "data" and opening the game from LunaLoader.exe
I used to use it in Windows 7 all the time as did most other people for quite some time. I'm quite sure whatever issues you're thinking of are not actually windows 7 related, and are to do with something else about the computer.
Also, the screenshot there has a window title that indicates ShockenStudios got past the launcher and the normal executable was launching, and the launcher just uses LunaLoader.exe itself to do that, so I would not expect this specific matter to be solved by going directly to LunaLoader.exe, unless it is the result of some very strange AV software behavior perhaps.
Turns out it's got something to do with my Intel Graphics Accelerator Drivers or something.
Emral

Re: MAGLX3: PATCH 0.9.3

Post by Emral »

NEW PATCH OH MAN!
DOWNLOAD IS THE USUAL

CHANGELOG:
Episode-wide:
- The speedrun timer 100s digit now displays properly

HUB:
- Vanilla message boxes in the hub now use a custom rendering method. This slightly alters the font used, and allowed us to...
-- Reformat the level description message boxes in the hub to be easily readable
- Added an alternate way of rendering length/difficulty displays that now serves as the default. The old way can be re-enabled via the options menu.
- Length/difficulty markers can now be turned off.
- Further work done on various bonus stage related things
- 100% completed tiers now glow in the globe menu
- Clear pipes can no longer accidentally filter you if you exited a level near the pipe
- Added an explanation for the epsilon character near its first appearance
- Megaman is no longer allowed to have powerups in the hub
- Performance improvements
- Miscellaneous adjustments
- Various typo fixes

Level-specific:
- Added a disclaimer in front of "Beware the Tiki Curse" and "Tightfisted Temple" regarding their unfortunate circumstances
- squarsh: Redesigned the reset doors to be identical to how they were on submission, while avoiding a wrong-warp
- Fixed incorrect readme used for Dimension Conversion Factory
- Fixed the GRRROL CONTROL fix from last patch
- Bring in the bullets: Reduce total star count once one star has been obtained, because both stars are in the same section
- Secret of Hotel Magikoopa: Fix an error where a specific block wouldn't cast a shadow
- Moved the menu trigger in Fiery Permafrost to DROP ITEM, allowing it to easily be viewed
- sophia: The readme now refers to "We" rather than "I", and the members of the developer team are properly noted in the level description message

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

ShockenStudios wrote: 3 years ago Alrighty then.
On that note, anyone else get this?

I have the Beta 4 Patch 4 (fresh install of the latest build) and the latest version of the contest, and if I try to open the episode, it loads for a while and then SMBX crashes. First, this pops up:
(not actually on Windows XP)

Then the SMBX crash messages:
I tried LunaTester from the Moondust level editor. It seems to be a problem specifically with the .HUB level (which is where the episode starts). Opening, say, my boss level works fine. But the hub level gives me this message first, before eventually going through the above crash:

(Also, I noticed that the title screen doesn't have Waddle listed even though the thread OP does.)
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago I have the Beta 4 Patch 4 (fresh install of the latest build) and the latest version of the contest, and if I try to open the episode, it loads for a while and then SMBX crashes. First, this pops up:
(not actually on Windows XP)

Then the SMBX crash messages:
I tried LunaTester from the Moondust level editor. It seems to be a problem specifically with the .HUB level (which is where the episode starts). Opening, say, my boss level works fine. But the hub level gives me this message first, before eventually going through the above crash:
Interesting.

The "Fault Module Name: ig4icd32.dll" points to a DLL for your graphics driver being what's crashing and exception code 0xc0000005 is an access violation. Seems like something being done by SMBX2 when running the hub, which ends up triggering a crash bug in your graphics driver's code.

Options to run the hub would be either:
1) Find an update for your graphics driver. (The "for Windows XP" in the driver name when you're not actually on XP makes me think there's pretty good odds there's a more recent driver for your graphics adapter somewhere?)
or
2) Edit the file "data/config/luna.ini" in your SMBX2 install and change the line "opengl = auto" to "opengl = soft", to force the engine to use software rendering mode. This ought to run no matter what, however you may experience worse framerate than you would otherwise, particularly in the hub.

The warning when running from editor is nothing to worry about. The hub is just running relatively-ish close to the engine's block/BGO limits
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Rednaxela wrote: 3 years ago Options to run the hub would be either:
1) Find an update for your graphics driver. (The "for Windows XP" in the driver name when you're not actually on XP makes me think there's pretty good odds there's a more recent driver for your graphics adapter somewhere?)
or
2) Edit the file "data/config/luna.ini" in your SMBX2 install and change the line "opengl = auto" to "opengl = soft", to force the engine to use software rendering mode. This ought to run no matter what, however you may experience worse framerate than you would otherwise, particularly in the hub.
It seems that my display driver is as up-to-date as it could be?

I tried changing opengl to soft, and now it gives me these debug messages, in this order:

The third one seems to repeat endlessly until I click Cancel. Then the hub looks like this:
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago I tried changing opengl to soft, and now it gives me these debug messages, in this order:

Only the 1st message matters (others are side effects caused by trying to continue past the 1st).
Ah, that's a known compatibility bug in SMBX2 that's fixed in the soon-to-be-released to be patch 4 hotfix. You should be able to get it running in the meantime if you edit the file "data/scripts/shaders/lib3d/project.vert" in your SMBX2 installation to replace the lines:

Code: Select all

float linear_depth(){ return 0; }
float normalised_linear_depth(){ return 0; }
float fresnel(float power){ return 0; }
with

float linear_depth(){ return 0.0; }
float normalised_linear_depth(){ return 0.0; }
float fresnel(float power){ return 0.0; }
I didn't think that issue applied to using the software renderer mode but apparently it does, and not sure why I didn't see it when I tried in the past.

ano0maly wrote: 3 years agoIt seems that my display driver is as up-to-date as it could be?
There's a decent chance the "update driver" button in windows might not be finding everything that might exist if that's what you mean by 'it seems'. I've not found that too reliable at getting the latest driver, and particularly wouldn't expect it to if you're starting off using a "for Windows XP" driver. I don't know what your computer's hardware is to specify more specifically (what the adapter is called in Device Manager would indicate), but there's a high chance one of the drivers from this page on the Intel web site fits what you have and is more up-to-date, or may be able to use Intel's automatic detection tool there.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Rednaxela wrote: 3 years ago Ah, that's a known compatibility bug in SMBX2 that's fixed in the soon-to-be-released to be patch 4 hotfix. You should be able to get it running in the meantime if you edit the file "data/scripts/shaders/lib3d/project.vert" in your SMBX2 installation to replace the lines:

float linear_depth(){ return 0; }
float normalised_linear_depth(){ return 0; }
float fresnel(float power){ return 0; }
with

float linear_depth(){ return 0.0; }
float normalised_linear_depth(){ return 0.0; }
float fresnel(float power){ return 0.0; }
I didn't think that issue applied to using the software renderer mode but apparently it does, and not sure why I didn't see it when I tried in the past.
Oh, they were in int type instead of decimals. Applying both of the fixes allows me to finally run it, although it's a bit slow, especially in the main satellite. It looks like it's due to the 3D rendering.

Thank you for the help.
There's a decent chance the "update driver" button in windows might not be finding everything that might exist if that's what you mean by 'it seems'. I've not found that too reliable at getting the latest driver, and particularly wouldn't expect it to if you're starting off using a "for Windows XP" driver. I don't know what your computer's hardware is to specify more specifically (what the adapter is called in Device Manager would indicate), but there's a high chance one of the drivers from this page on the Intel web site fits what you have and is more up-to-date, or may be able to use Intel's automatic detection tool there.
The display adapter, if that's the correct one, states "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family" (it's a pretty old computer by now). The only download for this seems to be from August 2012 and it's still made for Windows XP. I don't know why it's like that, given that this computer always had Windows 7 and I purchased it brand new from a large electronics store, around when the OS recently came out.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago Oh, they were in int type instead of decimals. Applying both of the fixes allows me to finally run it, although it's a bit slow, especially in the main satellite. It looks like it's due to the 3D rendering.

Thank you for the help.
No problem, glad it's working in some capacity now. Yeah, the 3d rendering is pretty light on even very very old graphics adapters, but in software rendering mode it'd require pretty speedy CPU to not drop frames.
ano0maly wrote: 3 years agoThe display adapter, if that's the correct one, states "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family" (it's a pretty old computer by now). The only download for this seems to be from August 2012 and it's still made for Windows XP. I don't know why it's like that, given that this computer always had Windows 7 and I purchased it brand new from a large electronics store, around when the OS recently came out.
Hmm... best driver for that adapter for Windows 7 then might have a good chance of being the 5th row of this page from Microsoft, the most recent entry for Windows 7. It's technically not as new as that one WinXP driver by date, but pretty sure it's natively meant for Win7 rather than relying on Win7's ability to use old WinXP drivers, so that may count for something. If you want better performance than using the software renderer that may be an option to try anyway.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

A really minor issue I noticed: If you set the length/difficulty indicators to classic the sample level at the start of the hub doesn't show any clocks at all for the length indicator, while it did before the new style of indicators was added. I checked a few other levels with a half a clock length indicator and they displayed properly on the classic setting, so as far as I can tell it seems to just be this sample level that has this issue.

Emral

Re: MAGLX3: 0.9.4 PATCH

Post by Emral »

This patch is small and mostly concerned with fixing regressions from 0.9.3:
DOWNLOAD

CHANGELOG:
HUB:
- Fixed text color of vanilla messages in the hud
- Adjusted formatting for level info messages
- The usual typo, script and layout tweaks

Level-specific:
- Fixed the level "Uwaah!! This hot springs is so hot!" displaying only one star in the hub when it should show two
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

After I updated to 0.9.4, I get this error message if I change the textbox design. It works well when I choose the original one.

Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Jongseok wrote: 3 years ago After I updated to 0.9.4, I get this error message if I change the textbox design. It works well when I choose the original one.
That's a known error in 0.9.4 that'll be fixed in 0.9.5. Not that only the "Grape" theme has this problem, you don't need to choose the original one, just anything but Grape.
Emral

Re: MAGLX3: 0.9.5 PATCH

Post by Emral »

On top of regressions from the regression-fix patch 0.9.4, this patch fixes level-specific stuff again!
DOWNLOAD

CHANGELOG:
Episode-wide:
- Added an options menu option for disabling screenshake
- Fixed MAGLX3 Grape text box being broken, oops!
- Reserve powerups no longer get filtered when entering the stage you last exited, making instant retry behaviour identical to non-instant retry

HUB:
- Tier X will now appear properly in the tier selection menu after dying, even if not going the forced-entry-upon-tier-5-visit route
- Reserve items that are not powerups can no longer be smuggled into the hub from levels
- Added review letters to Tier X bonus stages
- Dying in the hub only counts for the death counter once
- Updated Tier 3 select image to not use the WIP background
- The usual typo, script and layout tweaks

Level-specific:
- Minor adjustments in the Tier 1, 2 and 6 bonus stages
- Sunken Temple of the Coast: Removed a thing that was forgotten on Sturgs list for a while
- Devkit bosses: Fixed panser-spring interactions
- Toads Rebellion in the City Scrape: Use a separate Star Coin saving system to prevent locking yourself out of 100% (existing save files can be recovered from such a state by collecting the star coins again)
- Freezy Carnival: Fixed buoyant platform momentum
Emral

Re: MAGLX3: 0.9.5 PATCH

Post by Emral »

If you've downloaded 0.9.5 before now, please redownload to fix an oversight with regards to Cityscrape.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Oh, I'm not sure how much of a concern unspecified filters on levels raocow's already gone through is but unless I missed something I don't believe Grand Ascent Through Time, a Lighthouse and Anger Management is possible with Peach without double-jumping. There are a couple spots you seem to be expected to spinjump on Thwomps to climb and she, y'know, can't do that.
Emral

Post by Emral »

Zygl wrote: 3 years ago Oh, I'm not sure how much of a concern unspecified filters on levels raocow's already gone through is but unless I missed something I don't believe Grand Ascent Through Time, a Lighthouse and Anger Management is possible with Peach without double-jumping. There are a couple spots you seem to be expected to spinjump on Thwomps to climb and she, y'know, can't do that.
Not a major concern, but always appreciated to help make everything feel more complete :slow:
I've taken care of this particular one for the next patch
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

As noted in the relevant thread, a hotfix to SMBX2b4 patch 4 (now 2b4.4.1) has now been released.

Mentioning it here since many of the fixes in this came up in connection with MaGLX3 (including one fix that happens to be important for 117th place and may be why this couldn't be put off any longer in spite of me hoping to get some other fixes in)

The download for it is here
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I've noticed that Peach and Toad (and presumably other characters with HP) no longer have their health reduced to one when entering levels (although they will lose anything other than bigness, such as fire flowers).