make mario levels make mario levels make mario levels make mario levels make mario levels

MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

User avatar
Enjl
Posts: 747
Joined: 7 years ago
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Enjl »

Nimono wrote: 5 months ago I have a bug report to make-
For some reason, the end boss of The Greatest Hits, my MAFAB entry, is broken- it dies in one hit where it didn't before and its death graphic is cut off at the bottom, implying to me that the NPC files may have bugged out since my original sending, or that one of the updates to the engine broke the way I was handling the boss. I can assure you this effect didn't happen when I originally sent it... Also, the music for one of the bosses was too quiet since I used a .spc for it- during bugchecking, I had noticed this and sent in a fixed music file with better volume, but apparently it got missed. I sent the file to Whim on discord just now, though!
EDIT:
I know why my boss is instantly dying- It's not that the boss is broken, it's that the Walking Rinka Block is now doing Instakill damage, instead of the "one per hit" it was back in the creation phase. This affects both the Block as a held/thrown item, and the Player Rinka it fires. This has completely broken my boss and is not at all how I designed it... As for the graphic cutting off, I suppose maybe I placed the graphics incorrectly?
Thank you! This was a bizarre one for sure. Human error during SMBX2 development, making it so the rinky gun rinka instakills the enemy rather than itself upon dealing damage. Posting here to set the expectation that this bug, unlike most others, will be fixed by means of a beta 4 patch 4 hotfix scheduled to release in the near future.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
User avatar
Nimono
Posts: 690
Joined: 8 years ago

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Nimono »

Enjl wrote: 5 months ago
Thank you! This was a bizarre one for sure. Human error during SMBX2 development, making it so the rinky gun rinka instakills the enemy rather than itself upon dealing damage. Posting here to set the expectation that this bug, unlike most others, will be fixed by means of a beta 4 patch 4 hotfix scheduled to release in the near future.
You're welcome! :D It's definitely bizarre- it explains why when the levels were sent out for testing before insertion, I saw nothing wrong, but then when replaying it later for fun, it suddenly breaks! Glad to hear it'll get fixed quickly!
User avatar
King of GETs
Posts: 143
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by King of GETs »

I have tested my level and boss, and they both seem to be in working order. However, there is an issue on the boss description:
On the score (the number/number/number that comes after the level name), if I understand the ordering of the judges correctly, shouldn't this be reversed?
User avatar
Lejes
Posts: 79
Joined: 7 years ago
https://lejes.talkhaus.com/

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Lejes »

bug report
I get this as soon as my level, Into the Storm, starts.

Image

And when I kill the same enemy with a shell, this happens.

Image

It looks like the way custom enemy lua files are written/handled was changed, and my old custom NPC breaks now.
WinterSweater
Posts: 76
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by WinterSweater »

Would it be difficult to add different options for the level order? Everything looks to be set by code, and it would be neat to have the levels sorted by difficulty, length, randomly, or by the scores of different judges. It could make for fun challenge runs.
Image
Image
User avatar
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Posts: 914
Joined: 7 years ago
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Rednaxela »

WinterSweater wrote: 5 months ago Would it be difficult to add different options for the level order? Everything looks to be set by code, and it would be neat to have the levels sorted by difficulty, length, randomly, or by the scores of different judges. It could make for fun challenge runs.
Not really so easy. All of the main signs/warps/letters that every level have are set by code yes, so that part could hypothetically be reordered relatively easily, however there are extra things for special warnings, favorites, awards etc that were manually placed near the relevant warp.
WinterSweater
Posts: 76
Joined: 1 year ago

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by WinterSweater »

I forgot that those are there too.
Image
Image
User avatar
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Posts: 914
Joined: 7 years ago
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Rednaxela »

King of GETs wrote: 5 months ago I have tested my level and boss, and they both seem to be in working order. However, there is an issue on the boss description:
On the score (the number/number/number that comes after the level name), if I understand the ordering of the judges correctly, shouldn't this be reversed?
Thanks for the report, got this fixed for the patch.

Lejes wrote: 5 months ago bug report
I get this as soon as my level, Into the Storm, starts.

Image

And when I kill the same enemy with a shell, this happens.

Image

It looks like the way custom enemy lua files are written/handled was changed, and my old custom NPC breaks now.
Thanks for the report, I got this fixed for the patch. As a note, this isn't about any change in SMBX2, as I'll elaborate on.

This isn't about any change in "the custom enemy lua files are written/handled". Regarding the error when you kill this enemy with a shell, it seems this a problem introduced by a change to your npc-751.lua that one of the hub-making-helpers made in Apr 2020, when attempting to clean up unnecessary 'pnpc' references. Regarding the warning, Layer.get calls at the top level like that have always been equally unsafe, but the engine is just better about giving a warning for it these days. As a note, that warning would only ever be seen when running in test mode.

User avatar
Enjl
Posts: 747
Joined: 7 years ago
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: MAGLX3: PATCH 0.9.1

Post by Enjl »

Here it is! The Day 2 Patch! This includes fixes to everything reported and discovered that isn't a SMBX2 issue. SMBX2 issues will be fixed with a Patch 4 hotfix at a later date.

The download link for the entire package on the main post has been updated to include this version. Additionally, a new link now exists for downloading only the files that have changed since the initial release. No need to download another gigabyte.

DOWNLOAD THE PATCH

Changelog:
Episode-wide:
- Costume filters have been adjusted episode-wide: All costumes now only take action per-level, and existing ones that weren't working have been fixed
- There is now an extra pause menu option to disable a globally-active costume filter. Costumes get filtered by default because many levels rely on the default costumes for purposes of plot or custom graphics

HUB:
- Added some levels that were somehow lost! These are at the end of tiers 1 and 7, as well as at the start of tier 10. Sorry about that!
- Fixed zips, missing blocks and misaligned warps where appropriate
- Added a sign near the start explaining the judge rubric icons
- Tweaked length and difficulty values beneath level warps to display sometimes more accurate values
- Tier 3's day night cycle offset from real time now persists between sessions
- Fixed a crash of the Credits on lower-end hardware
- Fixed the mafab order of judge score listing
- Fixed a bug in duck-cycling through legitimate characters if you weren't already a legitimate character
- Favourites/least favourites now indicate just that in the level name sign dialog
- Miscellaneous fixes to typos and UIs

Level-specific:
- Fixed baseball speed in Touchdown! and The Airestaurant
- Changed readme text for Sacrifice Play
- Fixed a mistakenly active layer in Beware The Tiki Curse
- SGDQ20XX is now playable with Altered Physics
- Fixed lua errors in Into The Storm
- Adjusted music volume in The Greatest Hits
- Made a historically unreliable setup more consistent in assortedPokeyMaddeningGreenhouse by moving a block down by 1 pixel.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
songofstorms
Posts: 24
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by songofstorms »

When I played through my level today, I noticed a couple minor issues that were introduced either through changes to the engine, or through previous other fixes that were made to the level. Is it possible for me to submit a "patch" for that? I was able to find a way to fix or work around the issues...

The specific issues were:
  • It looks like the Grrrols in my level were changed to a custom NPC (presumably to fix some other issue with them), but one of the lines in the luna.lua file was still referring to the old NPC number for Grrrols, so a script that was supposed to affect a Grrrol didn't get triggered properly.
  • The way Grrrols move seems to have changed slightly, making it so that a few Grrrols in my level weren't falling at quite the trajectory they used to, which affected whether certain blocks got destroyed properly.
artifishal intunagence on youtube/discord
User avatar
Enjl
Posts: 747
Joined: 7 years ago
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Enjl »

songofstorms wrote: 5 months ago When I played through my level today, I noticed a couple minor issues that were introduced either through changes to the engine, or through previous other fixes that were made to the level. Is it possible for me to submit a "patch" for that? I was able to find a way to fix or work around the issues...

The specific issues were:
  • It looks like the Grrrols in my level were changed to a custom NPC (presumably to fix some other issue with them), but one of the lines in the luna.lua file was still referring to the old NPC number for Grrrols, so a script that was supposed to affect a Grrrol didn't get triggered properly.
  • The way Grrrols move seems to have changed slightly, making it so that a few Grrrols in my level weren't falling at quite the trajectory they used to, which affected whether certain blocks got destroyed properly.
Pardon me asking, but what's the level name? I couldn't find your username in the participant list. (If desired, we can also update your username. We have done so for a couple other people.)
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
songofstorms
Posts: 24
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by songofstorms »

Enjl wrote: 5 months ago
songofstorms wrote: 5 months ago When I played through my level today, I noticed a couple minor issues that were introduced either through changes to the engine, or through previous other fixes that were made to the level. Is it possible for me to submit a "patch" for that? I was able to find a way to fix or work around the issues...

The specific issues were:
  • It looks like the Grrrols in my level were changed to a custom NPC (presumably to fix some other issue with them), but one of the lines in the luna.lua file was still referring to the old NPC number for Grrrols, so a script that was supposed to affect a Grrrol didn't get triggered properly.
  • The way Grrrols move seems to have changed slightly, making it so that a few Grrrols in my level weren't falling at quite the trajectory they used to, which affected whether certain blocks got destroyed properly.
Pardon me asking, but what's the level name? I couldn't find your username in the participant list. (If desired, we can also update your username. We have done so for a couple other people.)
Oh right, sorry! I submitted it under the name "artifishal intunagence". The level name is

GRRROL CONTROL

.
artifishal intunagence on youtube/discord
User avatar
Enjl
Posts: 747
Joined: 7 years ago
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Enjl »

songofstorms wrote: 5 months ago
Thanks! Added to the bug list for a future patch.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
songofstorms
Posts: 24
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by songofstorms »

Enjl wrote: 5 months ago
songofstorms wrote: 5 months ago
Thanks! Added to the bug list for a future patch.
But is it okay if I submit an updated version of the level that contains the workarounds for the issues I mentioned? (The exact issues were mostly cosmetic, so it would be hard to notice them unless you were, well, me and knew what the original intended behavior was.)
artifishal intunagence on youtube/discord
User avatar
Enjl
Posts: 747
Joined: 7 years ago
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Enjl »

songofstorms wrote: 5 months ago
Enjl wrote: 5 months ago
songofstorms wrote: 5 months ago
Thanks! Added to the bug list for a future patch.
But is it okay if I submit an updated version of the level that contains the workarounds for the issues I mentioned? (The exact issues were mostly cosmetic, so it would be hard to notice them unless you were, well, me and knew what the original intended behavior was.)
Feel free to PM me the fixes if you have already made them. Our procedure would be to play the level in the MAGLX3 build and in the current build and tweak values to ensure things are the same across both, so ultimately it seems like we would arrive at the same conclusion with them.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
User avatar
LunarRainbowShyGuy
Posts: 853
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: ???

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I seem to have found an issue right in the hub: when entering a clear pipe cannon as Uncle Broadsword the jump button seems to get completely disabled for some reason, even in menus, leaving you unable to launch yourself out or do anything except for just closing the game.
Image
Image
User avatar
Enjl
Posts: 747
Joined: 7 years ago
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Enjl »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 5 months ago I seem to have found an issue right in the hub: when entering a clear pipe cannon as Uncle Broadsword the jump button seems to get completely disabled for some reason, even in menus, leaving you unable to launch yourself out or do anything except for just closing the game.
Two bugs in one! One's a SMBX2 bug (broadsword in clear pipe cannon), the other will be fixed next patch (menu-related bad practices). I'm surprised the broadsword thing hasn't been found since clear pipe cannons have been introduced, quite honestly.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
User avatar
Enjl
Posts: 747
Joined: 7 years ago
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: MAGLX3: 0.9.2

Post by Enjl »

New VERSION OH MAN
Another update 2 days later! But from here on out it ought to slow down a little I reckon.

Changelog:
Episode-wide:
- Fixed the exit count on some bonus stages

HUB:
- Fixed tier 3 npcs showing up at the wrong times
- Tier 5 now has more landmarks
- HUB designers now have fav/least fav markers
- Coins can no longer be frozen
- Souvenirs never lose their talk message, to let you bask in your accomplishments
- Duck-cycling wasn't fixed last patch. It's fixed this patch.
- More typos have been slain
- Miscellaneous HUB tweaks
- Miscellaneous scripting fixes

Level-specific:
- Adjusted sound effect volume in sophia
- Tweaked a jump in sophia
- Fixed issues in Grrrol Control (thanks songofstorms)
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
User avatar
Ignoritus
O◡O
Posts: 211
Joined: 9 years ago
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: U.S.

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Ignoritus »

Hey, so it's come to my attention that my level was entirely broken according to the judges. I know it was working when I submitted it, so did the engine changes seriously happen in between submission and judging?

I'll try to get it fixed before raocow gets to that point (but I have a lot of other things I've moved on to in life beyond this, so we'll see), but it's kind of not very cool that my placement is wrecked by my level literally not working. It's hard for me to be too upset given that I entered this contest two years ago now, but if the engine change happened before judging this might be a cautionary tale on why you should probably not change the engine everyone made their levels on before judging it?


Edit:
So I just took a look at it. The only problem was that a critical NPC which made the level function was removed. Like anyone, I've made some dumb mistakes before, but I'm fairly confident I didn't delete a critical NPC and then submit my level without testing, especially since I had other people test this level.

Looking at its script I see it was modified by the team, so I'm wondering if something happened during it being poked that caused SMBX to reject it and remove the NPC.

Enjl I can send you a fixed version if you want, but it's so simply it may genuinely just be easier for you to fix yourself. If you open my level file you should see a strange yellow/green bar in my NPCs. That goes in the right-hand hallway in section two in front of the door, blocking Mario from it. It fits perfectly. That's literally the only thing.
Image
User avatar
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Posts: 914
Joined: 7 years ago
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Rednaxela »

Ignoritus wrote: 5 months ago Edit:
So I just took a look at it. The only problem was that a critical NPC which made the level function was removed. Like anyone, I've made some dumb mistakes before, but I'm fairly confident I didn't delete a critical NPC and then submit my level without testing, especially since I had other people test this level.
I just played exactly the version you uploaded here https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.php?p=429371#p429371 in the level submission thread, in the MX3 version of SMBX2... and yeah, your critical NPC is missing in that version.

That was just how your level file was during the most recent upload you made of it in 2019-05-29. I'm guessing it probably was present though in a different/earlier version of the upload you made? Or maybe uploaded the wrong file the final time? I see from the edits to that post that you revised your upload a few times, and perhaps something went wrong along the way one of those times? In any case, if you re-download from the google drive link that is currently in your post there, you'll see the critical NPC in question was missing as of that linked version, which I believe is the version that was considered the final submitted version.
loutre
Posts: 1
Joined: 7 years ago

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by loutre »

bug report..?
Not sure if this is can be accounted as a bug, but my save file is somewhat corrupted as a result of this.

I've accidentally opened the wrong episode in SMBX2b4, exited it, and got into my existing MAFABX3 save file through the SMBX2 menu (not the launcher).

I've later realized that my death count, flags, and options had all been unset. I've saved and quit, and these were still lost when I reloaded.

Looking at the worlds folder, I believe my save1-ext.dat was not loaded when I opened the game through the main menu, and it got overwritten.

Now, my stars count is taken from save1.dat, and the game reports that I've completed levels I cannot access at this point.

I understand that MAFAB should be launched from the launcher, but I wonder if that state can be detected in game to avoid potentially losing progress.
User avatar
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Posts: 914
Joined: 7 years ago
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Rednaxela »

loutre wrote: 5 months ago bug report..?
Not sure if this is can be accounted as a bug, but my save file is somewhat corrupted as a result of this.

I've accidentally opened the wrong episode in SMBX2b4, exited it, and got into my existing MAFABX3 save file through the SMBX2 menu (not the launcher).

I've later realized that my death count, flags, and options had all been unset. I've saved and quit, and these were still lost when I reloaded.

Looking at the worlds folder, I believe my save1-ext.dat was not loaded when I opened the game through the main menu, and it got overwritten.

Now, my stars count is taken from save1.dat, and the game reports that I've completed levels I cannot access at this point.

I understand that MAFAB should be launched from the launcher, but I wonder if that state can be detected in game to avoid potentially losing progress.
Ah... seems that's a SMBX2 bug yeah. I'll make sure it gets fixed in the upcoming SMBX2 b4 patch4 hotfix. In the meantime, yeah, best that people be loading the episode via the launcher.
User avatar
deice
ha
Posts: 7
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by deice »

issuing a genuine apology to the judges for the temporarily blocked off reset doors in puzzles 2 and 3 of squarsh. the rest of the level was such by intention but these were genuine oversights and waiting around was not part of the intended gameplay.

if it is of any concern, the total playtesting time was (according to a text file i had left over) a bit over 2 hours, with roughly half of that time being spent on the 5th puzzle.
Image
User avatar
Enjl
Posts: 747
Joined: 7 years ago
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by Enjl »

deice wrote: 5 months ago
issuing a genuine apology to the judges for the temporarily blocked off reset doors in puzzles 2 and 3 of squarsh. the rest of the level was such by intention but these were genuine oversights and waiting around was not part of the intended gameplay.
Admittedly, the waiting is an unfortunate side-effect we introduced of the fix to the wrong-warp that was present in the episode when using the cross-level warp method. Back then that implementation seemed like the obvious solution, but I believe now I know of one that can get the best of both worlds: no wrong-warp and no waiting. I'll look into implementing that fix in the next patch. Sorry for the inconvenience.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
User avatar
deice
ha
Posts: 7
Joined: 2 years ago

Re: MAGLX3: THE MOVIE: THE CONTEST: THE GAME

Post by deice »

also bug report:
oh yea and one more thing i just noticed while replaying through the maglx3 episode rather than just the editor. the foo seems to be completely broken? i haven't searched for levels other than my own that have one to confirm if it's throughout the entire episode or not, but for some reason they never stop exhaling and they seem to randomly clip through blocks when in tight spaces. i've never encountered either of these during playtesting.
Image
Post Reply