(shouting)

SMBX2 Beta 4

Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

SMBX2 Beta 4

Post by Hoeloe »

It's been 84 years, but it's time. Finally. It's been a long time coming, but it's finally released! Get it while it's hot, and be sure to check out the changelog to see what's new since the last release. A lot has changed, so I hope you're all prepared!

If you've got any questions, either ask here or on the Codehaus Discord server. Have fun!
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: SMBX2 Beta 4

Post by raocow »

feels like this should be a global message, so I'll do that
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago feels like this should be a global message, so I'll do that
Thanks! :D
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Patch 1 to SMBX2 Beta 4 has now been released, fixing a fair number of little issues. Release blog post here

Download link above still applies. Fixes made in patch 1 can be seen at the top of the changelog
Jongseok

Post by Jongseok »

I'm happy to see you release a new version of SMBX2.0 after a long time. Beta 3 and Beta 4 seem to have very different LunaLua systems. Games from Beta 3 are not played on Beta 4. A "Debug" error window pops up. Is there any way to play Level Contest Japan, MaGLX2 on Beta 4?

1. When I open MaGLX2, this msg pops up.

2. Ignore the error msg before the ship, and enter each level, I can get this pop-up.

3. When I Load Level Contest Japan 1.5...

Please tell me the solution. Thank you!
Araragi Marisa's Anime List: MAL List
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

MAGLX2 is not compatible with SMBX2 Beta 4. It's an extremely old episode and requires an older version of SMBX to run.

It seems LCJ has similar issues, but that one I believe will work on Beta 3, one version back, while MAGLX2 requires much, much earlier versions.
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Not to step on Enjl's toes (he made most of the map stuff, correct?) but I made some edits to the LJC episode during the PAL release because I wanted to use the world map stuff myself, and I kept tinkering with it till I got it working. You can download my changes here, just replace the lua files in LJC's world folder with these.

Though fair warning, I haven't played the episode extensively so I can't say whether individual levels might have code that breaks in Beta 4, this is just for the world map hub and the fixes to switch to SaveData (for the life and demo counter and such), but any level-specific lua code may still break.

(EDIT: fixed a couple small oversights, included the lua file for 00-House since it also affected the SaveData episode-wide)
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

SpoonyBardOL wrote: 4 years ago Not to step on Enjl's toes (he made most of the map stuff, correct?) but I made some edits to the LJC episode during the PAL release because I wanted to use the world map stuff myself, and I kept tinkering with it till I got it working. You can download my changes here, just replace the lua files in LJC's world folder with these.

Though fair warning, I haven't played the episode extensively so I can't say whether individual levels might have code that breaks in Beta 4, this is just for the world map hub and the fixes to switch to SaveData (for the life and demo counter and such), but any level-specific lua code may still break.

(EDIT: fixed a couple small oversights, included the lua file for 00-House since it also affected the SaveData episode-wide)
Neat! If we can get to a point where the episode is guaranteed beatable without encountering crashes, I would like to put a link to your updated copy into the thread on the SMBX forums, to make it more easily available. I'm unfortunately not able to take sweeping looks over episodes these days, but don't hesitate to message me in case you wanna take a look and run into something you're unsure how to go about handling.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Patch 2 to SMBX2 Beta 4 has now been released! Release blog post here

You can download here. Fixes and improvements made in patch 2 can be seen at the top of the changelog ;)

EDIT: A hotfix to patch 2 has now been released to sort out some some early reported issues, same download location. For changes see here
litchh

Post by litchh »

Layer attachment is still incorrectly works. If NPC with Layer2 attached to NPC from Layer1, which attached to another one NPC, then attached NPC with Layer2 will not move. Also some NPCs like bill blasters, tank fragments and even SML2 goombas ingnore attachment at all.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

litchh wrote: 3 years ago Layer attachment is still incorrectly works. If NPC with Layer2 attached to NPC from Layer1, which attached to another one NPC, then attached NPC with Layer2 will not move. Also some NPCs like bill blasters, tank fragments and even SML2 goombas ingnore attachment at all.
That's always been the case, even in 1.3, and "fixing" it would break so many past levels that it's not going to happen.
litchh

Post by litchh »

Hoeloe wrote: 3 years agoThat's always been the case, even in 1.3
That's not. Till Beta 3 layer flipping were possible only when player raises or shinks and finite layer is attached to hidden one.
You may check this on the Goomba Boss in Mario Classic by zephyr (World1-castle2). Here's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEPYWIb7CEk

You also may check my old version of tank level which perfectly works (excluding flagpole) in versions till Beta 3, but causes layer's flip in Beta 4 because layers aren't attaching to current NPCs.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

It would be helpful if you sent a copy of the first level too, so we could test to see what's wrong. I suspect strongly that "NPCs aren't attaching to layers" is not the issue here.

EDIT: I tried out that autoscrolling level you linked to, and I couldn't see any issues with it. It seems to work just fine.
litchh

Post by litchh »

Hoeloe wrote: 3 years ago It would be helpful if you sent a copy of the first level too, so we could test to see what's wrong.
Okay
UPD: moved start location in the room before the boss fight.
Hoeloe wrote: 3 years agoI tried out that autoscrolling level you linked to, and I couldn't see any issues with it. It seems to work just fine.
I don't think it's fine:
Also there are cannons which should shoot spiny eggs, but don't in Beta 4.
Last edited by litchh 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

litchh wrote: 3 years ago Also there are cannons which should shoot spiny eggs, but don't in Beta 4.
It has never been possible to change what cannons shoot.

Also, perhaps we could better observe issues if you would actually tell us what you're experiencing, rather than making an assumption as to what you think the problem is (which is incorrect).
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

Also there are cannons which should shoot spiny eggs, but don't in Beta 4.
You can make non-Bullet Bill NPCs appear to shoot out of pipes/cannon head blocks/coins using specific NPC settings, is that what you're referring to?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
litchh

Post by litchh »

Hoeloe wrote: 3 years agoIt has never been possible to change what cannons shoot.
Did you actually launch the level in different versions of SMBX?
I'm speaking about these cannons:
These cannons should shooting, but they don't in Beta 4 because layers of its generators are flipping fucking away.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

litchh wrote: 3 years ago These cannons should shooting, but they don't in Beta 4 because layers of its generators are flipping fucking away.
Sigh. It'd be extremely helpful if you'd actually give details when reporting issues because it's extremely hard to guess what you're talking about.

Now that I have some information about what you're actually seeing, rather than what you assume the problem to be, I can more closely see what's going on, but it's still very difficult to discern what's happening.

Also, those tank treads that don't move? That's not an engine bug. You put those on a different layer and never told them to move.
litchh

Post by litchh »

OMG
Okay.
Here's 5 problem layers. First three are spiny eggs generators. I could just give them common tank layer, but then they will suddenly shoot at player before he even understand that here's a cannon. So, all generators have different layers for them and they are hidden before current tank appears. Every generator is attached to the nearest tank engine like this:
The same thing for Gun2 & Gun3.
'
Hoeloe wrote:Also, those tank treads that don't move? That's not an engine bug. You put those on a different layer and never told them to move.
They are attached to the Bill Cannons:
I need tank to stop, isn't? So that's how it should stop.
Since all object which has attached layer is object of the moving tank layer, they should move attached objects as well. And they moved in previous versions of SMBX.

The boss from Mario Classic is simple. There are just several layers attached one to another. I hope there's no need in further explanations.
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

litchh wrote: 3 years ago OMG
This is a much better explanation of what you're seeing, thank you. Explaining the symptoms you experience, rather than taking a guess at the diagnosis yourself, is substantially more likely to get you a reasonable result. Now that we have information, we can look into this.
litchh

Post by litchh »

Another thing to mention.
After Patch 2 the game ignores global txt-files for NPCs if level folder of episode has insider file for the same NPCs.

For example if episode contents global file npc-229.txt to make it fireproof (nofireball=1) in directory like this:
worlds\Episodd

Then it would be ignored if insider level folder has another npc-229.txt (for example with command noblockcollision=1) in directory like this:
worlds\Episodd\Lev

So current npc would be fireproof in level "Lev" in SMBX versions before Beta 4 with Patch 2, but it loses these characteristics in current SMBX2 version.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Patch 3 is now released.
Download location is the usual.
For changes see here.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

The hotfix to patch 3 is up, fixes a number of little bugs that'd been noted:
Download location is over here (same as normal).
For changes see here.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

There's a new patch! SMBX2 Beta 4 Patch 4 is now live. Enjoy!

Download!
Changelog
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

A hotfix to SMBX2b4 patch 4 has now been released.

The download is at the usual download place
and the list of changes is here.

Many of the fixes in this came up in connection with MaGLX3.

(I personally didn't quite get all the changes I originally hoped to in this hotfix, but will likely be a "hotfix 2" a bit down the line for some things I couldn't quite get around to by the time this needed to go out.)