</script>

smbx communitymario fan games galaxysmw central

So You Want to Run MaGL X3? - Stay Tuned for Voting

YelseyKing
Meow what are you looking at?
First name: Matt

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby YelseyKing » 7 months ago

Willhart wrote:There could be an announcement video. That could help bring in some extra attention/applications.
Oh, that's *just* what we need. Turn the *host application process* into a gigantic circus. Well, why not, at this point, I guess. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
Episode 6 is over. More to come... someday.

128-Up
Captain Aiwana
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby 128-Up » 7 months ago

YelseyKing wrote:
Willhart wrote:There could be an announcement video. That could help bring in some extra attention/applications.
Oh, that's *just* what we need. Turn the *host application process* into a gigantic circus. Well, why not, at this point, I guess. :P
...You mean it wasn't already a giant circus?
If Mario has taught me anything, it's that most things rely on whether there's something good in a nearby box.
Note: If something in the above post is done incorrectly, tell the poster as softly as possible, please.

128-Up's IWBTG Fangame Clear List
If you're wondering what on earth 'aiwana' is, click me!

Image <-- Click it!
Image Pokémon is hard.

YelseyKing
Meow what are you looking at?
First name: Matt

Postby YelseyKing » 7 months ago

128-Up wrote:
YelseyKing wrote:
...You mean it wasn't already a giant circus?
An even bigger circus, that rivals the one MAGLX2 was in its entirety!

Are we seriously going to do "Make a Good MAGLX3 Contest"? A huge contest to see who gets to run an even huge...r... contest! What fun!
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
Episode 6 is over. More to come... someday.

Ignoritus
O◡O

Postby Ignoritus » 7 months ago

Wish that I had the time, but sadly it's just not realistic. Especially when most of the work's going to come down over the summer when I'm going to be working all week.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 7 months ago

horikawa requested to me that I don't blast this and I agree
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 7 months ago

but i was really hoping for xxxmariomaster15xxx from youtube to apply siiiigh

MECHDRAGON777
Where radioactivity blossoms, so do I!

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » 7 months ago

raocow wrote:horikawa requested to me that I don't blast this and I agree
Will you be doing that the contest is live, or is that promise for the entire contest?

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 7 months ago

oh I'll announce the contest itself, for sure
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Sebby19

Postby Sebby19 » 7 months ago

Speaking of announcement videos, who was that guy that played 'Prime Minister of Australia' a couple years back?
ImageImage
-Banned in Antarctica
Sebby19 wrote:If your life depends on throwing up, switch to the keyboard

Rockythechao
Shapemorph the titlecard into the video, Hoeloe
First name: Michael

Postby Rockythechao » 7 months ago

I am fairly involved in A2XT's development as a content creator, wiki contributor and programmer, but I am not the project lead nor am I responsible for half the things people keep attributing to me lol

Useful posts, discussions & resources for SMBX and A2XT

My art & audio thread
Tumblr, SoundCloud

Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Postby Zha Hong Lang » 7 months ago

I have no intention to participate in this contest to any degree, but I have a suggestion for a gimmick.

What if you had to choose either adding Lua to your level or using elements introduced by SMBX 2.0? I don't know how much some parts of SMBX 2.0 are dependant on Lua-only features to achieve their full potential (mostly because I haven't played it yet), but I think that this sort of gimmick might focus people's creative efforts in a positive way.
(Formerly Jayoshi)

Supershroom
Brigande

Postby Supershroom » 7 months ago

I don't think we should exclude anyone who just wants to make a level compatible for 1.3.0.1 (neither using Lua nor any new 2.0 stuff).
Winners don't doubt, doubters don't win.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 7 months ago

Supershroom wrote:I don't think we should exclude anyone who just wants to make a level compatible for 1.3.0.1 (neither using Lua nor any new 2.0 stuff).
Same, though I think all the levels should work on the same engine at least. It would be good for the episode, and for preventing potential incompatibility later. As such I'd still heavily recommend it, but would not disqualify levels made with 1.3. It'll just be slightly more risky for the author, and they would be missing on the new features and enemies.
Willhart wrote:Being a fan means... blind obsession.... She does not have to accept it... I thought it brought me closer to her.
Willhart wrote:[She] is planning on joining the patreon discord thing on advanced group, and that likely means that I'll listen trough every single one of those as they happen...

Part of me feels like writing her name over and over again
...I should not give up.
💔

Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Postby Zha Hong Lang » 7 months ago

Supershroom wrote:I don't think we should exclude anyone who just wants to make a level compatible for 1.3.0.1 (neither using Lua nor any new 2.0 stuff).
If you're referring to my suggestion, I didn't necessarily say that the gimmick should be integrated into the scoring rubric. In fact, I'd be against that. Remember the fear of someone being placed above another simply because they were better at programming? That would actually become a reality if this gimmick were part of the scoring rubric, at least in the way gimmicks have been scored thus far.

So, without the gimmick being in the rubric, you could easily be as vanilla as you want to be without it affecting your score. I'm only suggesting a split between using 2.0-only elements/objects and Lua, if you choose to use either one at all.
(Formerly Jayoshi)

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Postby Horikawa Otane » 7 months ago

S.N.N. wrote:but i was really hoping for xxxmariomaster15xxx from youtube to apply siiiigh
SNN highlights exactly why I didn't want rao to blast it haha.
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Camwood777
oh man what
First name: Cam

Postby Camwood777 » 7 months ago

I'm a little confused here and the original post didn't really spell out my question in a way i'd understand (this is the first time i've ever considered joining MaGL X, much less MaGL, much less really any talkhaus contest); is this exclusively for showrunner applications, or also for just general level entries?
also goes by "camwoodstock", "camwood", "cws", or some variant thereof
plays video games i think

Supershroom
Brigande

This is only for the showrunner. It's still a long time to go anyway, and once we have a host and his contest idea in place there's gonna be an entrant sign-up thread.

Furthermore
Horikawa Otane wrote:I'm opening up showrunning to SMBX Forums. Last year they were able to vote on Showrunner - in the spirit of MaGL X's core philosophies, I want to allow them to submit proposals and have the possibility of running it as well.
I've always read this like it's gonna take place on the SMBX forums. Willhart now said this. So, it will still take place on Talkhaus actually?

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Postby Horikawa Otane » 7 months ago

Supershroom wrote:This is only for the showrunner. It's still a long time to go anyway, and once we have a host and his contest idea in place there's gonna be an entrant sign-up thread.

Furthermore
Horikawa Otane wrote:I'm opening up showrunning to SMBX Forums. Last year they were able to vote on Showrunner - in the spirit of MaGL X's core philosophies, I want to allow them to submit proposals and have the possibility of running it as well.
I've always read this like it's gonna take place on the SMBX forums. Willhart now said this. So, it will still take place on Talkhaus actually?
I actually can't read Willhart's posts, but let me go ahead and clarify.

Last year, the Showrunner was only open to Talkhausers, though judging and level submission was open to everyone. This year, I'm opening Showrunner applications to both SMBX Forums and Talkhaus.
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

thehelmetguy1
Local moron

Postby thehelmetguy1 » 7 months ago

I wish I had more experience and free time. But well, MaGL X3? Time to get my lazy ass off the chair and learn lua scripting.
Still waiting to see something interesting to put in my sig. So for now, there won't be anything here.

Blivsey
why

Postby Blivsey » 7 months ago

WOAH IT'S ME.

Something I mulled over when I heard this was going on: what if there was an entrant limit? That would definitely help on keeping this from being another 150-part mammoth while still letting in the people who really want to have a try. rao uploading a video to announce the opening of signups will tell pretty much every regular entrant "hey get on in here", and the existence of the limit will light a fire under newbies, so hopefully there'll still be a decent ratio between the two courts. Shorter playthrough means people learn their placement sooner (relatively), less burnout, and moving on to different things sooner.

For reference on this theory, Horikawa, how many entrants were there in X2, and how many people actually submitted? That would give us an estimate of what a theoretical entrant limit should be.

Also, to be clear, I'm not signing up to run the contest, that's way beyond my capabilities. I'm definitely entering, and I'd still be happy to help if someone requested me.

do i get to endorse people too ??
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes

Supershroom
Brigande

There's been 272 entrants for MaGLX2 and 31 entrants for MaFAB (the side contest for bosses). One can't really set up an entrant's limit, one can be only glad about the amount of audience we get. :>

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Postby Sturg » 7 months ago

I mean, considering the number of entrants for MaGLX2, I'd say that putting a limit on the number of entrants would be a bad idea.

If we limited to like the first 150 to submit, more people would be likely to rush their level in at a rather fast pace in fear of not being in the contest. Plus, some forms of levels are faster to submit than others, like joke levels for instance. The first person who submitted in MaGLX2 ended up in last place. I'm afraid that the people who really put effort into their level and take their time will be overshadowed by those who'll just submit something silly. I'm not saying that's not the definite case, but it's something to consider.

There could be a limit on how many appear in the episode based on rank, somewhat similar to how VLDC9 handled the jokey submissions in the Worst world. It may convince people to try their hardest, ridding of most joke entries. Yet, defining where that definite "boundary line" should be is still tricky. And I've heard that some people really enjoy the beginning part of the lp, where those joke levels occur. As an extremely sketchy and hypothetical alternative, you could take out the sphere of "mediocrity" in the middle of the rankings to make for a more "diverse" lp. Obviously, that wouldn't be fair nor polite to the peeps who actually tried.

I understand the sentiment behind the proposal of a limitation on entries, but to find a proper implementation of a limitation that brings about the most happiness for everyone is rather tricky.
now let me into your cool gang

ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?
Location: Within 2 miles of the Imperial Crypt of Napoleon III

Postby ztarwuff » 7 months ago

As far as limiting entrants are concerned, there is probably a better way to do it.
  • Have a sign up period, just for signing up to the competition. No one is to start on his or her level until the sign up period ends.
  • When the sign up period ends, don't allow any more contestants to enter.
  • Get all contestants to start their level making on a certain date, by releasing the gimmick criteria to all contestants on the same date. Failing this, send his or her gimmick criteria and give him or her X weeks from the sent date to complete the level.
  • Do not accept any late level entries.
  • Disqualify any entrant who ignores the contest gimmick.
  • If a contestant is disqualified, don't judge it, and don't even present his or her level.
  • Make these rules very clear from the outset.

Ivy

Postby Ivy » 7 months ago

ztarwuff wrote:As far as limiting entrants are concerned, there is probably a better way to do it.
  • Have a sign up period, just for signing up to the competition. No one is to start on his or her level until the sign up period ends.
  • When the sign up period ends, don't allow any more contestants to enter.
  • Get all contestants to start their level making on a certain date, by releasing the gimmick criteria to all contestants on the same date. Failing this, send his or her gimmick criteria and give him or her X weeks from the sent date to complete the level.
  • Do not accept any late level entries.
  • Disqualify any entrant who ignores the contest gimmick.
  • If a contestant is disqualified, don't judge it, and don't even present his or her level.
  • Make these rules very clear from the outset.
Exactly. Having a first-to-submit 150 feeding frenzy would be ridiculous.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (that ivy guy)
Many thanks to GlitchedGhost and Rockythechao for the amazing paper Demo animation!

ano0maly
Retired Tester

Postby ano0maly » 7 months ago

Maybe we could have a soft limit instead of a definite entrant limit, in the form of a new deadline once a cap has been reached?

So you start with a very generous deadline tentatively set up as a last resort, with an additional note saying that once you have say 150 entrants (could either use signups or submissions as the measure), you have let's say one more week to finish your level. And once that count of 150 is reached, you make an announcement to remind everyone that the deadline is finalized as one week from the point of that announcement.
Image << Click!

Fan of the following:
Image Image

Return to “archive”