mario fan games galaxyirc.cat.biosmbx community

happy birthday talkhaus!!!

So You Want to Run MaGL X3? - Stay Tuned for Voting

Zyglrox Odyssey

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Zyglrox Odyssey » 3 months ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:I mean, you're required to have a complete episode of all levels, but you're not required to release it for raocow's LP. It has to be READY by the time you post results, but you can keep ahold of it and thereby force raocow to play your "LPer's choice" episode. Staggering the releases is fine. I just want to make sure the full contest exists and is playable at some point.
raocow wrote:I'm just gonna go ahead and say it - if there's a version with all the levels, I'm playing that one. I know that fatigue and whatnot is a thing but... I dunno man, it's something like I feel I NEED to do, even if it has to take over the b-side or create a c-side or SOMETHING.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

MECHDRAGON777
Where radioactivity blossoms, so do I!
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby MECHDRAGON777 » 3 months ago

If I end up hosting, I ave something pretty cool planned.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

CloudyCloud

Postby CloudyCloud » 3 months ago

Actually something can be done about the limit thing.

Assuming that you are going for "200 + 1 week or 2 months" thing.

200 is the limit to start the 1 week countdown, right?

Let's add in one more idea: Put the countdown of the number of submission on the head of talkhaus to let the people know how many submissions there are in MAGLx3 to estimate whether you need to speed up the level making.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 3 months ago

It'll be interesting to see what everyone has. My plan was pretty simple. I do have stuff planned for the hub already though, so I feel like that should go smoothly.
Willhart wrote:Being a fan means... blind obsession.... She does not have to accept it... I thought it brought me closer to her.
Willhart wrote:[She] is planning on joining the patreon discord thing on advanced group, and that likely means that I'll listen trough every single one of those as they happen...

Part of me feels like writing her name over and over again
...I should not give up.
💔

Lunatic Quark
Looniest Mage

Postby Lunatic Quark » 3 months ago

As a possible future participant in this contest, I would really really appreciate it if the deadline were concrete and not able to just jump forward at any moment. Even if there's a counter for how many people submitted or whatever, it's still not very predictable how fast it will increase at any given moment, and it's an added layer of stress that I'd rather not deal with.

To be perfectly honest I'd rather have another contest the size of MaGL X2 than have to deal with any participation limiting rules. I guess if I had to say which one I dislike the least it would be the separate deadline for signups, but I still don't really like that for the cases that someone might not know about the contest beforehand or not have internet during the signup period (I know some people here have had problems with extended periods of no internet in the past).
super big thanks to bkamakaze for the avatar!

YelseyKing
Meow what are you looking at?
First name: Matt

Postby YelseyKing » 3 months ago

The way I figure it, having, say, a month for sign-ups, and a month for stage creations, will see plenty of people sign up, while keeping out those "signed up two days before the deadline, started an ambitious stage, and didn't finish it or test it" entries that, frankly, clogged up both MAGLX1 and 2.

I should add that I'm opposed to a hard limit, and don't like the "200+one week" thing. That really *could* screw people over. A full month feels like plenty of time.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
Episode 6 is on!

ano0maly
Retired Tester

Postby ano0maly » 3 months ago

MoneyMan wrote:The idea of an application period also isn't very good, I dont think, because it discriminates against people who just werent aware of the contest before it started for one reason or another. The ONLY way im at all supportive of any idea like this is if it's not a hard "you cant participate if you dont sign up beforehand" but a "you get a small scoring penalty for not doing so/you get a small bonus for doing so", but even that leads to the drift away from levels being scored and ranked on their own merit, so.
Lunatic Quark wrote:To be perfectly honest I'd rather have another contest the size of MaGL X2 than have to deal with any participation limiting rules. I guess if I had to say which one I dislike the least it would be the separate deadline for signups, but I still don't really like that for the cases that someone might not know about the contest beforehand or not have internet during the signup period (I know some people here have had problems with extended periods of no internet in the past).
Is it really that much to ask to be able to wrap up signups about a week before the submissions end so the host can finalize the list and respond to all of the entrants with enough time left for them? Setting aside for now ztarwuff's idea of separate time frames.

I just don't see that as discriminatory or whatever when the signup is an open process and made clearly known. It's a basic responsibility of someone that wants to enter a contest is to know about it and keep track of when the event commences.

Besides, even if there wasn't a gap between end of signups and end of submissions, one can still claim that only allowing level submissions from February to early March (like two years ago) is "discriminatory" to people that are busy during late winter. It's unfortunately that some people are too busy to participate in this particular contest, but that's just how events are.

It seems that this reasoning of "people might not be aware" of the required participation period puts eschewing the minimum responsibility asked of contestants over giving the organizers and the participants some breathing room. I'm far more concerned with people panicking on the last day thinking, "Oh no, it's the last day and I have to sign up, wait for the host to give me the information, and make something?" If you signed up you should be guaranteed some time to make your level. Just pick a reasonable deadline, and add a week to the submissions component. That's not too difficult, is it?

Also to clear up the misunderstanding about the other idea: I said before that the secondary cutoff isn't moving forward, the actual deadline all along is having a countdown after enough entries are in - this idea was only presented because instead of "150 levels, time's up" a better alternative is "150 levels, start the countdown".
Image << Click!

Fan of the following:
Image Image

Lunatic Quark
Looniest Mage

Postby Lunatic Quark » 3 months ago

I didn't realize it was proposed to be a week before the deadline. I was thinking most of the people who proposed the signup deadline wanted it to be long before the contest started. And to be fair it's the proposal of this type that I object to the least by far. I just feel really wary of this turning into a scenario where the people who want to participate have it harder than necessary or feel unfairly punished for the length of the last contest.
super big thanks to bkamakaze for the avatar!

Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist

Postby Ditocoaf » 3 months ago

Yeah, a signup deadline a few days or a week before the level submission deadline seems like a good idea -- not just to discourage rushed levels, but also to reduce the chaos of getting new signups right during the rush of most levels being submitted. No need to have a super restrictive signup deadline way beforehand.
To err and err and err again, but less and less and less.

Willhart
Banned

Sign-ups would also be a good way to estimate how many levels we get. I'd still accept levels that did not sign up during the contest, but only before the sign-up deadline has happened. They could have easily signed up before that point, so I would not see it as a big deal. It's also possible they were not sure if they would make something or not, and as such were delaying it.
Willhart wrote:Being a fan means... blind obsession.... She does not have to accept it... I thought it brought me closer to her.
Willhart wrote:[She] is planning on joining the patreon discord thing on advanced group, and that likely means that I'll listen trough every single one of those as they happen...

...I should not give up.
💔

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Postby Sturg » 3 months ago

The general consensus seems to be that sign-up periods can be useful in organizing entrants at the beginning where the initial rush comes in. I think a sign-up period would work for short term contests, like the 24-hour design contest at SMWC, but it seems to limit a full out contest such as this.
now let me into your cool gang

MoneyMan

Postby MoneyMan » 3 months ago

If the sign up and submission periods are to overlap, then I dont have as much of a problem, tho I also still think it shouldnt be a hard "you cant submit" if they fail to sign up, but rather a score penalty. IIRC there were a good few levels made at the last second in maglx2 that, while maybe not amazing, were still worthwhile.

Ignoritus
O◡O

Postby Ignoritus » 3 months ago

For the record, I agree that there's nothing unfair about stopping signups a week before the submission date. As long a the rules are made clear, following them is the participants responsibility. It's not like sign-ups obligate people to actually submit, so there's really no reason people can't signup besides 'not reading the rules properly'. As long as it's briefly before the submission date it's really not limiting entries either. Very few people are going to find out about a contest a week before it ends (especially if the submission period is as long as it was last time) and then suddenly churn out an amazing level before the deadline. There are people who can do that yes, but those people will probably actually know about the contest more than a week before it ends.

Willhart
Banned

I remember there will be a full month of discussion on the contest too, even after the organizer has been chosen, at least according to the contest thread rules. I think they need to find the judges before that too.

...I should not give up.
💔

MECHDRAGON777

For the record, since we only have ten or eleven days left to sign up for this, who all is applying or has applied already? Who ever does host, I am up for judging and/or helping with the world map/hub.

My avartar

I am a SMBX player, and I do not know weather to stay at SuperMarioBrosx.org or at talkhaus.raocow.com honestly.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
First name: Servalan

Postby Horikawa Otane » 3 months ago

Honestly, I think that a sign-up period is probably a good idea. Particularly if you're going to use any sort of gimmick like my random name generation ones. There's everything people have said about restricting the number of levels (note you WILL probably lose some great levels this way - but you'll also lose a ton of crap/mediocre ones, so it's a trade off), but also it's just easier on the Showrunner and gives them some guaranteed breathing room. And that's super important - I can't stress enough how much you need to think about optimizing Showrunning MaGL X. For me, the mental stress difference between MaGL X (which I was totally unprepared for) and MaGL X2 (which I built a ton of infrastructure for beforehand) was like night and day.
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Supershroom
Brigande

Postby Supershroom » 3 months ago

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:For the record, since we only have ten or eleven days left to sign up for this, who all is applying or has applied already? Who ever does host, I am up for judging and/or helping with the world map/hub.
I applied pretty early (and I just revised it a little bit). I'd appreciate your assistance ofc.
Winners don't doubt, doubters don't win.

Ivy

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? 3/19/2017 11:59pm EST - ☆彡ENDING SOON!☆彡

Postby Ivy » 3 months ago

The fact that you can edit unread PMs is still really strange to me.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (that ivy guy)
Many thanks to GlitchedGhost and Rockythechao for the amazing paper Demo animation!

MECHDRAGON777

Supershroom wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:For the record, since we only have ten or eleven days left to sign up for this, who all is applying or has applied already? Who ever does host, I am up for judging and/or helping with the world map/hub.
I applied pretty early (and I just revised it a little bit). I'd appreciate your assistance ofc.
I did not know we could resend an application to fix stuff.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Ping

Are we allowed to re-submit to fix stuff in our application?

My avartar

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Supershroom wrote:

Feel free, provided it's before the deadline.
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Willhart
Banned

Horikawa Otane wrote:
MECHDRAGON777 wrote:
Supershroom wrote: I applied pretty early (and I just revised it a little bit). I'd appreciate your assistance ofc.

Feel free, provided it's before the deadline.
I fixed some things on my application. Hopefully people will get them in time.

...I should not give up.
💔

TaviTurnip
I'm just here to remind people I'm here
Abministrator
First name: Rena, despite assumptions

Postby TaviTurnip » 3 months ago

I know I never took any official action, so I'm posting this purely for my own closure, but I'm rescinding my wish to do this because after moving to my new apartment my life lost track of me and I definitely don't have the focus to do contest judging or related, haha.
I'm just here to annoy you so that you aren't here instead.

Willhart
Banned

Starting to feel pretty hype. Only 5 days left. I wonder how well I'll fare. The other applications I've seen to far have been pretty good.

...I should not give up.
💔

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

I gotta say - previous showrunners/judges are gonna have their work cut out for them in terms of endorsements given some of these ideas. There's some good ones in here.

Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess

To basically lay out how things will work - I'm currently working on a site where voting will be held. After the submission phase ends, I'll get in touch with previous show runners/judges (myself, 8flight, ignoritus, Sturg, quill) and they'll be able to endorse an idea (provided they want to and provided they aren't running themselves). Then, after either a week or everyone endorses (whichever is first), I'll post the site and you can all vote!

Return to “archive”