mario fan games galaxypge projectsmbx community

happy birthday talkhaus!!!

So You Want to Run MaGL X3? - Stay Tuned for Voting

User avatar
Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
Posts: 1439
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Servalan
Location: The Last of the Babylon Stations

So You Want to Run MaGL X3? - Stay Tuned for Voting

Postby Horikawa Otane » 4 months ago

Image
MaGL X3 IS LOOKING FOR A SHOWRUNNER
(And this year, it won't be me)
APPLICATIONS CLOSED - STAY TUNED FOR VOTING
Applications Received: 8

MaGL X3?!

Yes, you read that right. It's finally time, after a full year hiatus, for the return of MaGL X. As with last year, I am going to ask the community for proposals and allow you to vote on who you want to run the contest for its third year. There will be some changes to how things were done last year, however.

Changes?

First - I'm not running for showrunner. I do have an idea, but I lack the time this year and I think it's about time my baby got some legs and went out into the real world. I want to see how someone else manages this.

Second - I'm opening up showrunning to SMBX Forums. Last year they were able to vote on Showrunner - in the spirit of MaGL X's core philosophies, I want to allow them to submit proposals and have the possibility of running it as well.

Finally - There are going to be some imposed rules on the Showrunner that they MUST follow.

What Rules Must Showrunners Follow?

FIRST - MaGL X3 MUST be based on the latest public version of SMBX 2.0. Beta 4 is on the horizon, so that will be the most likely version to target. You cannot target/allow SMBX 38A. You cannot restrict the use of LunaLua, characters, etc. except via gimmick.

SECOND - You MUST have at least one judge from Talkhaus and one from SMBX Forums. Beyond that, you can go nuts.

THIRD - The game must be distributed as an episode. Results CANNOT be announced until the full package is ready (then you may announce results as you like).

FOURTH - The distribution of the game MUST include a version with ALL submitted (completable) levels. You may also distribute other versions if you like. For example, you may have an 'editors' choice' or 'Let's Play' version that substantially cuts down on the content and is intended for a broader audience. However, one version MUST exist with ALL levels inserted into the game and playable via the episode.

FIFTH - raocow has an idea for MaFAB 2. Be aware you must also run the MaFAB mini-contest, but can obviously do so on your terms. This is a direct request from him, so please respect it.

SIXTH - Neither the judges NOR the Showrunner can compete in the contest.

And that's it. Everything else is up to you! I want to be as unrestrictive as possible - so please, go nuts!

How Do I Apply to Be a Showrunner?

Send me a PM with the following questions answered (PLEASE NOTE WORD COUNT):
What is your Proposal Title? Summarize Your Contest Philosophy In 10 Words or Less (For example, mine for MaGL X2 was "Make something we've never seen before" and for X was "Make something you've never made before")

What Gimmick Will you Use? (If any. If present, please explain in 150 words or less)

What Experience do you Have? (As a Showrunner, as a judge, or anything else - 150 words or less)

What is your Scoring Rubric? (Please lay out your proposed categories of judging, the total possible score, and how many points each category is worth. A maximum one-sentence description for each category is acceptable if said category is unclear)

How Many Judges do you Think You'll Have? (please just include the number)

Will you Have a Bonus World? (Please just answer yes, no, or undecided here)

What other Information do you Want to Provide? (If any. 50 words or less)
Image
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

User avatar
Pyro
cutest girl 2023
Posts: 869
Joined: 2 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Location: meow
Contact:

Re: MaGL X3 - Apply to be The Showrunner! Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Pyro » 4 months ago

oh god the apocalypse.....it has begun..................
professional meme
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
YelseyKing
Meow what are you looking at?
Posts: 784
Joined: 3 years ago
First name: Matt
Location: Oregon

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby YelseyKing » 4 months ago

...here we go again... :roll:

All right. I'm going to bite the bullet and stir the pot here early. I have to get this off my chest, as it was *the* #1 thing that put me off of MAGLX2 and any further MAGLX contests.
FIRST - MaGL X3 MUST be based on the latest public version of SMBX 2.0. Beta 4 is on the horizon, so that will be the most likely version to target. You cannot target/allow SMBX 38A. You cannot restrict the use of LunaLua, characters, etc. except via gimmick.
I call BS here.

Despite how beloved it is on this forum -- and believe me, I *wholly* expect to get blasted mightily for this opinion which is no doubt highly flammable -- LunaLua is a scripting language. A scripting language that many people *do not know* and really have no great desire to expend the large amount of time to learn. To allow it in an open contest of people with varying skill levels is akin, in my opinion, to the whole "steroid use in professional sports" scandal. Or to put it terms more people here can understand, like a purported "SMW vanilla contest" where ASM is allowed. You're giving a small section a gigantic advantage over the peons who don't happen to speak computer.

What I loved about SMBX was the fact that it was, initially, an equal playing field. Your knowledge of the engine itself was all that was necessary to create a great level. And indeed, everyone could do it with some practice. But -- and again, this is my opinion, not something I'm stating as cold hard fact -- LunaLua destablized that "equality" in the same manner ASM hacking tainted the SMW hacking community. It's now *expected*. *Lacking* it is seen as a sign of an inferior designer. You're *expected* to do some kind of gimmick with it.

Don't get me wrong. I'm glad SMBX has been picked up by Talkhaus and greatly expanded. I just wish it had been done in-engine, rather than all these neat changes coming in due to the addition of a scripting language. But it is what it is; it created a divide, at least in my mind, where I -- and many others -- are perpetually at a disadvantage.

Hell. Maybe I'm grossly incorrect and uninformed. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding everything. If that's the case, feel free to correct me on any or all points I've made. But I've essentially held all this back for the last few years, it's really made me bitter and jaded on the whole SMBX thing, and again, I really needed to get this off my chest... It's a damn shame, as I really otherwise enjoyed making my own Mario levels, and wished I could've done more on the various projects going on.

Also, I want to make this clear that I'm not attacking anyone. What you've all done is legit amazing, and I really loved seeing it in action in A2XT. My beef is with it in a *contest*, and the fact that I can't help but feel like it invites an "elitist" class who won't even acknowledge a game without its presence.
Image
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:
Image

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
Episode 6 is on!

User avatar
Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
Posts: 1439
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Servalan
Location: The Last of the Babylon Stations

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Horikawa Otane » 4 months ago

YelseyKing wrote:...here we go again... :roll:

All right. I'm going to bite the bullet and stir the pot here early. I have to get this off my chest, as it was *the* #1 thing that put me off of MAGLX2 and any further MAGLX contests.
FIRST - MaGL X3 MUST be based on the latest public version of SMBX 2.0. Beta 4 is on the horizon, so that will be the most likely version to target. You cannot target/allow SMBX 38A. You cannot restrict the use of LunaLua, characters, etc. except via gimmick.
I call BS here.

Despite how beloved it is on this forum -- and believe me, I *wholly* expect to get blasted mightily for this opinion which is no doubt highly flammable -- LunaLua is a scripting language. A scripting language that many people *do not know* and really have no great desire to expend the large amount of time to learn. To allow it in an open contest of people with varying skill levels is akin, in my opinion, to the whole "steroid use in professional sports" scandal. Or to put it terms more people here can understand, like a purported "SMW vanilla contest" where ASM is allowed. You're giving a small section a gigantic advantage over the peons who don't happen to speak computer.
MaGL X2 allowed LunaLua just so you're aware.

In fact, Third Place in X2 had no Lua. The Lua in First and Second place was relatively simple. There was practically no Lua in the rest of the top 10.

Lots of Lua levels placed worse than non-Lua levels (Hoeloe's, Rednaxela's, Zyglrox's - heck, Zyglrox's boss had a ton of Lua and it placed dead last) . It's a tool, just like Events, nothing more. And this rule certainly isn't changing. It isn't up for negotiation.

Also, when did MaGL X ever "purport" to be Vanilla? Have you not seen previous contests? LunaDLL was allowed in X1, LunaLua was allowed in X2. Why would you compare it to a "SMW vanilla contest?" MaGL X has ALWAYS been at the bleeding edge of SMBX.

Also, any element of the contest, INCLUDING Lua, can be restricted by Gimmick - but not removed completely. If you find someone whose proposal heavily restricts it, please feel free to vote for them. Or run on your own on that platform.
Image
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

User avatar
ano0maly
Retired Tester
Posts: 837
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby ano0maly » 4 months ago

I don't understand why it's a problem to allow the available tools (e.g. LunaLua) when we just had MAGL3 a couple months ago. It was a simple "do what you want" SMW contest. You can use ASM if you wanted. You were allowed to - it wasn't a requirement.

If anything a scripting language would be easier to learn and use than an obscure assembly language, right?
Image
Image << Click!

Fan of the following:
Image Image

User avatar
FrozenQuills
ok flair 2017
Posts: 713
Joined: 2 years ago
Location: my own skull, obviously

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby FrozenQuills » 4 months ago

Funny enough the 3rd place winner of MaGL3 also did not use any ASM/scripting.

I'm not up for hosting, but I highly recommend enjl and pyro for hub making.
(and no way am I judging 300+ potential entries)
Image
Image
Image
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
MaGLX2 Level Commentaries (updated up to 169th place) + My entry
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.
Image

5th place counter: 4
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016)

User avatar
YelseyKing
Meow what are you looking at?
Posts: 784
Joined: 3 years ago
First name: Matt
Location: Oregon

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby YelseyKing » 4 months ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:MaGL X2 allowed LunaLua just so you're aware.
I'm aware. Which is why I was turned off by it.

Granted, it didn't help that my stage was a disaster in every sense of the word.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Also, when did MaGL X ever "purport" to be Vanilla? Have you not seen previous contests? LunaDLL was allowed in X1, LunaLua was allowed in X2. Why would you compare it to a "SMW vanilla contest?" MaGL X has ALWAYS been at the bleeding edge of SMBX.
That said, however, you do raise a point. Of course, MAGLX1 was done during a time in which LunaLua was in its earliest stages. I don't recall *any* stage actually *using* it, or at least in a noticeable manner.

If what you're saying is that you want MAGLX to be a sort of "tech demo" contest for SMBX to showcase its ever-evolving capabilities, then I wholly concede and apologize.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Or run on your own on that platform.
Hah... No, I definitely couldn't handle the pressure. I don't really have the answers. What I said was strictly my opinion, nothing more and nothing less. I admit I'm bitter because I feel locked out of the loop of what was once something open.
Image
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:
Image

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
Episode 6 is on!

User avatar
Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
Posts: 1439
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Servalan
Location: The Last of the Babylon Stations

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Horikawa Otane » 4 months ago

YelseyKing wrote:Hah... No, I definitely couldn't handle the pressure. I don't really have the answers. What I said was strictly my opinion, nothing more and nothing less. I admit I'm bitter because I feel locked out of the loop of what was once something open.
"I admit I'm bitter because I am actively locking myself out of a contest because, despite the fact that it is beyond possible to place well and even win without learning LunaLua and the fact that the allowance of LunaLua/LunaDLL has remained unchanged since the very inception of the contest, I feel differently now I guess." ftfy

I'd be fascinated to know how suddenly MaGL X has gone from "something [once] open" to "something now closed" because of one element that has not changed even slightly since the inception.


Also, what about Events? Do you remember This Boss from MaGL X1? It uses no LunaDLL and no LunaLua. Just Events.

Let me be clear here - I'm the head developer of SMBX 2.0 and I don't know how the heck he did that. This designer has SUBSTANTIALLY greater Event skills than even I do. And yet - despite him being "on steroids" in terms of his Events ability, he didn't win. Or even get close to winning. Why? Because his boss wasn't fun.

Do you know what one of the most technical LunaLua levels in X2 was? This one. Despite being "on steroids" compared to the LunaLua in many other levels of the contest, it placed in the bottom 20 of 272 entries. Why? Because it wasn't fun.

LunaLua skill is no different than Event skill. If you use it well, great. If you don't use it, but your level is still fun - enjoy your placement for making an amazing level, yo.


And just to be clear - LunaLua is absurdly easy. The code LITERALLY looks like this:

Code: Select all

function onStart()
    player.character = CHARACTER_LUIGI
end
(And for the record? Your X2 level was great and did pretty well. You were almost in the top 10% of 273 entries. The fact that you're so paranoid about it tells me the problem might be on your own self-esteem more than LunaLua itself. You're a good designer - learn to accept and embrace that fact. If both of us enter X3, no matter how much Lua I use, you will beat me because you're a better designer. And you'll have earned it. And heck - people are willing to help you learn LunaLua if it makes you feel better. I am willing to teach it to you PERSONALLY if you like. Have some faith in yourself, yo)
Image
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

User avatar
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned
Posts: 2533
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Finland

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Willhart » 4 months ago

I'll have to think about this. Will see.
Willhart wrote:Being a fan means... blind obsession.... She does not have to accept it... I thought it brought me closer to her.
Willhart wrote:[She] is planning on joining the patreon discord thing on advanced group, and that likely means that I'll listen trough every single one of those as they happen...

Part of me feels like writing her name over and over again
...I should not give up.
💔

User avatar
YelseyKing
Meow what are you looking at?
Posts: 784
Joined: 3 years ago
First name: Matt
Location: Oregon

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby YelseyKing » 4 months ago

Horikawa Otane wrote: And just to be clear - LunaLua is absurdly easy. The code LITERALLY looks like this:

Code: Select all

function onStart()
    player.character = CHARACTER_LUIGI
end
...seriously? That's *it*? Wow. I honestly had no idea it was so simple. Hell, ZZT is probably more complex than that, and I learned *that*...
Horikawa Otane wrote:(And for the record? Your X2 level was great and did pretty well. You were almost in the top 10% of 273 entries. The fact that you're so paranoid about it tells me the problem might be on your own self-esteem more than LunaLua itself. You're a good designer - learn to accept and embrace that fact. If both of us enter X3, no matter how much Lua I use, you will beat me because you're a better designer. And you'll have earned it. And heck - people are willing to help you learn LunaLua if it makes you feel better. I am willing to teach it to you PERSONALLY if you like. Have some faith in yourself, yo)
Heh... I'll have to give it some thought. If it's that easy... hell, maybe I'll take you up on that offer.

Though I'll admit, you nailed it: My self-esteem is pretty much non-existent.

Sorry again if this came off as an attack. You know I respect and think highly of you, Horikawa. You're the *last* person here I'd want to hurt.
Image
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:
Image

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
Episode 6 is on!

Zyglrox Odyssey
Posts: 521
Joined: 4 years ago
Contact:

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Zyglrox Odyssey » 4 months ago

wow i haven't been asked to write this many essays since that time i let you talk me into applying to harvard :V
Horikawa Otane wrote:Also, any element of the contest, INCLUDING Lua, can be restricted by Gimmick - but not removed completely.
Honestly with how much content you 2.0 peeps have added since MaGL X2's submission period a "vanilla" contest disallowing custom code in favor of just stuff in the base engine probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. You gotta figure there are what, ten new characters, was it? To say nothing of the blocks and NPCs and all that. There's probably enough to work with there to make some fresh and interesting ideas.
I dunno that I'd vote for it - I'm too fond of programming my own dumb nonsense for my levels - but it's a solid idea.

...No I'm not running with that idea, I wanna enter MaGL X3. >:3
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

User avatar
SAJewers
A2XT Guy
Posts: 1983
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Nova Scotia

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby SAJewers » 4 months ago

I have some ideas (mainly regarding the final product), but no intention on running this. Hit me up if anyone wants help running/a co-runner this.
DO NOT PM ME ABOUT A SECOND MARIO BROS X. THING. I WILL NOT RESPOND TO PMs.
Image
Head over to the ASMBXT Forums and join the discssion, or submit levels!
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Ometeotl
Posts: 592
Joined: 7 years ago

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Ometeotl » 4 months ago

Why does the showrunner have to follow all these rules?
Image

User avatar
raekuul
X&BUTT
Posts: 818
Joined: 8 years ago
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Moses 1:37-39
Contact:

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby raekuul » 4 months ago

YelseyKing wrote:...seriously? That's *it*? Wow. I honestly had no idea it was so simple. Hell, ZZT is probably more complex than that, and I learned *that*...
Oh man I really want to sit you down and grill you for ZZT knowledge now.

I may make a silly lua-based thing for this, but like with MaGL 3 it won't be a serious entry. It won't be Operation: Earth's Humility, but it'll be a silly little thing to get me on the map somewhere. I just need to know where the LunaLua API documentation is.

User avatar
Hoeloe
One of them Lua people
Posts: 824
Joined: 5 years ago
Location: Spaaace

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Hoeloe » 4 months ago

I'm not going to lie, I have my concerns about MAGLX3 opening up now.

See, when MAGLX2 happened, it caused a community-wide burnout of SMBX related material. It's the major reason A2XT ep2 has taken as long as it has, and for that project particularly, that burnout is ONLY JUST beginning to mend. To open up MAGLX3 now basically means a strong risk of killing A2XT altogether. If I remember rightly, there was a sort of general consensus that MAGLX3 wouldn't be running until the end of 2017 or 2018, and a lot is riding on that.

I would strongly urge whoever runs MAGLX3 to give people some time to wrap up projects and get their hype back, perhaps spending some months in planning and structuring, to run the actual contest in the second half of the year.

In short, I strongly suspect that running MAGLX3 in the first half of this year will kill A2XT, along with other SMBX projects. I don't want that to happen, and I doubt many other people here do either. I know that at the very least, if it does run in the first half of the year, I won't be able to participate as I will be prioritising trying to make sure A2XT keeps going. Which is a shame, as MAGLX is a great contest and I enjoyed MAGLX2 immensely.

Basically, I'm just trying to point out that running a large contest like this WILL have a knock-on effect on other projects, many of which have not fully recovered from the effects of MAGLX2 yet.
Image
Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Enjl
not actually the savior
Posts: 166
Joined: 3 years ago

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Enjl » 4 months ago

Sorry, but this is some pretty silly timing on multiple levels. Hoeloe already expressed his thoughts about one concern, but there's also another SMBX Contest event opening up on the SMBX community soon (looking for judges ended a few days ago, there's a global thread), and with 2 massive SMBX events going on, one is BOUND to drown out the other.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Zyglrox Odyssey
Posts: 521
Joined: 4 years ago
Contact:

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Zyglrox Odyssey » 4 months ago

Hoeloe wrote:I would strongly urge whoever runs MAGLX3 to give people some time to wrap up projects and get their hype back, perhaps spending some months in planning and structuring, to run the actual contest in the second half of the year.
This is also a point I'd wanted to make. Like, MaGL 3 was five months ago. I suppose there's nothing wrong per se with planning things way in advance, but it's entirely too soon to have the next MaGL. And I say this as somebody who's excited for X3. :p Wait until the second half of the year, at the earliest.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

User avatar
Ivy
Posts: 1958
Joined: 3 years ago
Contact:

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Ivy » 4 months ago

Ometeotl wrote:Why does the showrunner have to follow all these rules?
Because it's horikawa's contest and she's choosing to change management. Then again, if she's so eager to defer it to someone else, perhaps the rules ought to be lessened.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (that ivy guy)
Many thanks to GlitchedGhost and Rockythechao for the amazing paper Demo animation!

User avatar
Rockythechao
Shapemorph the titlecard into the video, Hoeloe
Posts: 458
Joined: 3 years ago
First name: Michael
Pronouns: he/him/his
Location: Yes

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Rockythechao » 4 months ago

Hoeloe and Enjl summed up most of my thoughts on the matter; it's one thing if the showrunner is just picked now and we don't have the contest until Q3 or Q4, but if you're pushing to have it hosted right away that's going to cause problems. At the very least we may have to rush folks to finish up the remaining vanilla stuff for A2XT2 (town/hub layouts, remaining work on the relays, a handful of regular levels) before the community shifts gears to the contest, and we'd rather not focus on that until the Ep. 2 devkit's been ported to 2.0 and moved to github.

Regarding the actual proceedings of the contest, I'm not applying but imo it might help to avoid/minimize ratings controversy this time around by using very specific, deliberate language for the judging rubric/scoring categories. Stuff that covers a lot of bases, gives a clear distinction between objective and subjective categories, like:

- Craftsmanship: Production value or how well-constructed the presentation/tech is -- do the aesthetics make for a cohesive experience or do they clash? Is there roughness/jank or is the level polished? Etc.
- Engagement: Not necessarily just "fun", but is the level is enjoyable/entertaining/gripping/satisfying? Does it succeed at providing whatever form of appeal it's aiming for?
- Personal appeal: An extremely subjective category to round it out, was the level personally appealing to the judge for whatever their own reasons are?

I can't think of a good term for it at the moment, but maybe another category one that covers how well constructed the level is in terms of principles like conveyance/fairness to the player -- the real "meat" of the level design -- and then another subjective one to balance things out? Idk, these are just examples I'm tossing out here for the sake of discussion.
I am fairly involved in A2XT's development as a content creator and programmer, but I am not the project lead nor am I responsible for half the things people keep attributing to me lol

Useful posts, discussions & resources for SMBX and A2XT

My art & audio thread
Tumblr, SoundCloud

Image

User avatar
Ometeotl
Posts: 592
Joined: 7 years ago

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Ometeotl » 4 months ago

Ivy wrote:
Ometeotl wrote:Why does the showrunner have to follow all these rules?
Because it's horikawa's contest and she's choosing to change management. Then again, if she's so eager to defer it to someone else, perhaps the rules ought to be lessened.
It's not her contest if she's not the one running it.
Image

User avatar
Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
Posts: 1439
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Servalan
Location: The Last of the Babylon Stations

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Horikawa Otane » 4 months ago

Enjl wrote:Sorry, but this is some pretty silly timing on multiple levels. Hoeloe already expressed his thoughts about one concern, but there's also another SMBX Contest event opening up on the SMBX community soon (looking for judges ended a few days ago, there's a global thread), and with 2 massive SMBX events going on, one is BOUND to drown out the other.
Hoeloe wrote: Similar concerns
Rockythechao wrote: Similar concerns
Remember - this is going to be a month-long application process + around 1 month of voting + 1-2 months of feedback for the Showrunner and then probably a month or two for submissions for (likely?) a single level. So we're probably looking at the contest actually STARTING in June and concluding around August or something. And then not being LP'd until judging is complete and levels are inserted - that will be several months as well. Maybe not until November or December. X3 is a LONG way away - a contest this big needs a lot of planning though, hence the search for a showrunner now. Also, this timing was discussed with raocow - so part of the timing is to work with his schedule.

And getting people into SMBX again might reinvigorate these projects rather than destroy them - like MaGL X2 did for Lost Levels and even AZCT (which only dropped off work later), and X1 did for Super Demo Sisters (people forget the hugely positive effect X1 had on getting SDS done). It brings people to Talkhaus, including old members who don't come around EXCEPT for MaGL X, who then help out with things. And X3 will PROBABLY only be a single level submission, so it's hardly asking for them to kill off participation in other projects.
Ometeotl wrote: Why does the showrunner have to follow all these rules?
First off - there aren't that many. There are six and they're pretty unrestrictive. As for why - two reasons, basically. The first is to keep MaGL X as MaGL X - and keep it distinct and differentiated from, say, CC or any number of other contests. MaGL X's core philosophies of keeping the content cutting edge, being predominantly cross-community, and including every participant (at least in some way) should be maintained for this. This is why rules 1, 2, and 4 exist. The second is much more practical - some of these rules, in my experience, just help things run more smoothly and with less drama. This is why rules 1, 3, and 6 exist. As for rule 5 - it was a personal request from raocow and he's an integral part of why MaGL X is so successful, so there you go.
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote: Honestly with how much content you 2.0 peeps have added since MaGL X2's submission period a "vanilla" contest disallowing custom code in favor of just stuff in the base engine probably wouldn't be the worst idea in the world. You gotta figure there are what, ten new characters, was it? To say nothing of the blocks and NPCs and all that. There's probably enough to work with there to make some fresh and interesting ideas.
I mean, if people want to run on that basis they can. I think it could work well. You always have the option of running without a gimmick - some people did for X2.
Image
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

User avatar
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
Posts: 524
Joined: 6 years ago
First name: sturgyman
Location: - :noiƚɒɔo⅃
Contact:

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Sturg » 4 months ago

Rockythechao wrote: - Craftsmanship: Production value or how well-constructed the presentation/tech is -- do the aesthetics make for a cohesive experience or do they clash? Is there roughness/jank or is the level polished? Etc.
- Engagement: Not necessarily just "fun", but is the level is enjoyable/entertaining/gripping/satisfying? Does it succeed at providing whatever form of appeal it's aiming for?
- Personal appeal: An extremely subjective category to round it out, was the level personally appealing to the judge for whatever their own reasons are?

I can't think of a good term for it at the moment, but maybe another category one that covers how well constructed the level is in terms of principles like conveyance/fairness to the player -- the real "meat" of the level design -- and then another subjective one to balance things out? Idk, these are just examples I'm tossing out here for the sake of discussion.
These are all pretty good imo, the three you present are all very good terms that describe the basis for earning points rather well. A question I'd like to present would be: how would we rank these in terms of point accumulation or what takes priority over the other (if at all)? While I'd recommend having more of a heavy balance towards objectivism, the order of the topics that lie in that category potentially remains as a question.

As for a category concerning that "design," perhaps we could label it as "practicality?"

Like is the way the level is designed practical in a sense of telling the player what to do? Does the difficulty make sense in the context of what the level is presenting? Are there instances of unclear design decisions or choices that clearly hold the level's potential back?

Regarding the limits of Lunalua, I have a couple opinions about this.

First off, as previously stated, the usage of Lua/Asm/etc. coding doesn't necessarily guarantee a "qualitatively higher" level. MagLX2 was a great example of that, with several levels utilizing it placing rather in the middle of the ranks. HOWEVER, I feel that the knowledge of this coding provides additional tools for the user, thus I believe it does provide a clear ADVANTAGE over those without it. Whether people takes good use of this advantage, and whether this is a "fair or unfair" advantage is unclear. It's also important to note that we don't necessarily know people are willing to learn/teach Lua/Asm, how diffifult it is, nor whether it should be their responsibility to learn it if they want to "do well in the contest."

Another thing to consider of is a thing I'll just call the "Dev Bias." It is rude to call out the devs of 2.0, and I'm not necessarily stating the Devs have an advantage, but SMBX is constantly being worked on with different APIs, features, and overall knowledge about the engine. If we are to use the most recent Beta of SMBX, should there be a limit of what forms of Lua coding can and can't be used? Should a hybrid of "Vanilla level design" and "Lua coding" be used? If so, how would we organize such a list? Based on experience? Difficulty?
Image
Image
Image
Image
now let me into your cool gang

User avatar
Horikawa Otane
The MaGL Goddess
Posts: 1439
Joined: 4 years ago
First name: Servalan
Location: The Last of the Babylon Stations

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Horikawa Otane » 4 months ago

Sturg wrote:
Rockythechao wrote: - Craftsmanship: Production value or how well-constructed the presentation/tech is -- do the aesthetics make for a cohesive experience or do they clash? Is there roughness/jank or is the level polished? Etc.
- Engagement: Not necessarily just "fun", but is the level is enjoyable/entertaining/gripping/satisfying? Does it succeed at providing whatever form of appeal it's aiming for?
- Personal appeal: An extremely subjective category to round it out, was the level personally appealing to the judge for whatever their own reasons are?

I can't think of a good term for it at the moment, but maybe another category one that covers how well constructed the level is in terms of principles like conveyance/fairness to the player -- the real "meat" of the level design -- and then another subjective one to balance things out? Idk, these are just examples I'm tossing out here for the sake of discussion.
If we are to use the most recent Beta of SMBX, should there be a limit of what forms of Lua coding can and can't be used? Should a hybrid of "Vanilla level design" and "Lua coding" be used? If so, how would we organize such a list? Based on experience? Difficulty?
I mean, a gimmick can limit Lua as much as you want (PROVIDED you don't eliminate it). You could even impose an additional rule beyond your gimmick - saying "Your Lua can only have X number of max lines/characters)" which would impose a restriction on how Lua-ific your level could be. idk, that sort of thing is up to the Showrunner. If it were me, I'd go all Wild West on it and just allow everything haha.
Image
Watch my Butt on the YouTubes
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

User avatar
Tobi555
New A2MT Guy
Posts: 446
Joined: 10 months ago

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Tobi555 » 4 months ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:I mean, a gimmick can limit Lua as much as you want (PROVIDED you don't eliminate it). You could even impose an additional rule beyond your gimmick - saying "Your Lua can only have X number of max lines/characters)" which would impose a restriction on how Lua-ific your level could be. idk, that sort of thing is up to the Showrunner. If it were me, I'd go all Wild West on it and just allow everything haha.
I agree, personally I think imposing too many restrictions regarding Lua may hinder participation, accepting everything is pretty much the point of a contest anyways :P

User avatar
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned
Posts: 2533
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Finland

Re: So You Want to Run MaGL X3? Applications due 03/19/2017 @11:59pm

Postby Willhart » 4 months ago

I'd much rather wait for at least half a year to year to make sure 2.0 is ready enough to hold such a huge event. I want to have those new npc and features in and tested before the submissions and such start piling in. I'll also be running for this, so look forward to that.
Willhart wrote:Being a fan means... blind obsession.... She does not have to accept it... I thought it brought me closer to her.
Willhart wrote:[She] is planning on joining the patreon discord thing on advanced group, and that likely means that I'll listen trough every single one of those as they happen...

Part of me feels like writing her name over and over again
...I should not give up.
💔


Return to “archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron