Fuck bots
53%
I'm gay
47%

Total votes: 30

chrishy

IRC Channel--Come chat it up!

Post by chrishy »

After some crazy shenanigans with freenode, it was decided that badnikNET was a more *ahem* normal server (such as actually registering the channel and such). The channel name, if you saw the minor post in the AIM room thread, is still #talkhaus. Meaning, the URL is: [url]irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus[/url].

It's suggested that nicks are the same as your username here, but if not, post here so we know you. My only change is chrishy->Chrishy, which shouldn't throw off too many of you guys. ;)

If you need help with an IRC client, Google is a wonderful friend. mIRC, Mibbit, and ChatZilla have all been reported as working fine, and most others should too. If you run into any issues, feel free to post here, PM someone in the know (I'd be glad to help), or even /msg someone on IRC.

Join up, chat, and such. Have fun! ;)

EDIT:

IRC runs a protocol different from normal webpages. This means you need an IRC client to view the "page" (or channel, in this case). ChatZilla is an add-on for FF that I use with success (Tools->Add-ons and search/download "ChatZilla"). mIRC is another popular IRC client. This is a client you download the .exe for and install to your system. Mibbit is an online IRC client, but I don't have any experience with it, so you may need to ask around if that's your preference.

Once you get a client, you may be able to click the URL to go directly to the channel. If not, using a client command such as

Code: Select all

/server irc.badnik.net
to connect to the server and then

Code: Select all

/join #talkhaus
to join the channel should get you there manually.
Last edited by chrishy 15 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ChrisIsCornflake on YouTube.
First Founder of the talkhaus IRC, [url=irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus]irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus[/url]. (Info)
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Re: IRC Channel--Come chat it up!

Post by FPzero »

It's a fun time in the channel. We're right next door to SMWCentral's community as well and we've already had contact when a few of us joined their channel and vice-versa.
Daze

Post by Daze »

Hey, I tried using the link to get onto the IRC channel and I got the following message: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (irc) isn't associated with any program." The same happened with freenode.

I'm trying to research how to register the IRC protocol, but does anyone here know how to do it? This stuff looks pretty confusing to me, and it might make things simpler. :|
Formerly "dazedouji" ~ Image
-----
It's been 6 years since I was here last! The more things change, the more they stay the same.
-----
Lastest check-in: July 29, 2019. :slow: :demo:
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

You can use an irc client to get to the channel. My preferred client of choice in MIRC. Once in the client you have to access the server by typing "/server irc.badnik.net" and then "/join #talkhaus" once connected.
chrishy

Post by chrishy »

dazedouji wrote:Hey, I tried using the link to get onto the IRC channel and I got the following message: "Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (irc) isn't associated with any program." The same happened with freenode.

I'm trying to research how to register the IRC protocol, but does anyone here know how to do it? This stuff looks pretty confusing to me, and it might make things simpler. :|
IRC runs a protocol different from normal webpages. This means you need an IRC client to view the "page" (or channel, in this case). ChatZilla is an add-on for FF that I use with success (Tools->Add-ons and search/download "ChatZilla"). mIRC is another popular IRC client. This is a client you download the .exe for and install to your system. Mibbit is an online IRC client, but I don't have any experience with it, so you may need to ask around if that's your preference.

I'm also editing the first post for joining the server from a client.
First Founder of the talkhaus IRC, [url=irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus]irc://irc.badnik.net/talkhaus[/url]. (Info)
Daze

Post by Daze »

Thanks, guys. It all works perfectly now (as far as I know). Awesome sauce. =D
-----
It's been 6 years since I was here last! The more things change, the more they stay the same.
-----
Sharkenaa

Post by Sharkenaa »

I'm pretty much a beginner with IRC-stuff, but it seems to work with Opera without any kind of special gimmicks... I clicked the link and it wanted my name and e-mail address and then the screen name alias, and there I go wondering why I went through downloading mIRC and Pidgin when I can IRC wiv' mah browser.
TLs4

Post by TLs4 »

This was a great idea... awesome thanks to those who set it up! I will be frequenting myself there from now on!
chrishy

Post by chrishy »

Sharkenaa wrote:I'm pretty much a beginner with IRC-stuff, but it seems to work with Opera without any kind of special gimmicks... I clicked the link and it wanted my name and e-mail address and then the screen name alias, and there I go wondering why I went through downloading mIRC and Pidgin when I can IRC wiv' mah browser.
I think Opera may just be awesome like that! 8D
Kei1ro

Post by Kei1ro »

I'm there, username is the same as my forum name.
ImageImage
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Hey hey everyone, I'm surprised at the turnout so far! But we can always use new people in the channel. Don't be afraid to stop by and chat a little bit! It's a great way to become good friends with the other members of the forum!
Daze

Post by Daze »

Hey, guys, just an idea, but could we get this thread as an announcement? It would make sure that as many people as possible know about the channel and can use it. Just an idea, if it's possible.
-----
-----
TLs4

Post by TLs4 »

Announced for the benefit of displaying to the masses! IRC is pretty fun, yo... make sure you come check it out! If you catch me in a good mood, I just might get into some streaming shenanigans too!
krisu

Post by krisu »

Here's web-based IRC to the channel :)

Super-easy, just change the name and connect. Noting more, very good for those that don't understand IRC.

One thing, Mibbit use graphic smiles that you can't take off :/ Just saying that thing, but still this is absolute easiest way to go IRC.

(BTW, if you disable javascript on browser, turn that on, because this IRC use javascript)
kilon

Post by kilon »

That's really handy :) Thanks.
chrishy

Post by chrishy »

The IRC has a so-far-regular habit of watching siteadmin streaming. :D It's fun, and usually consists of Conan O'Brien, Youtube videos, and some classic video-game LPs (often Family Feud fun. SCREW YOU, ALBERTS!)

Plus, viewers chat in the IRC. Amazing fun.
IRC wrote: 1:33:52am <Daze> 3, if I hafta pick
1:33:53am <Kraze422> anything
1:33:55am <Kraze422> 3
1:33:57am <Kraze422> cuz
1:33:58am <Kraze422> it's my fav number
1:34:00am <Kraze422> DAZE
1:34:01am <Kraze422> I WILL HURT YOU
And Floors. FLOORS. FLOORS!!!
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Those freaking Alberts.
Kraze422

Post by Kraze422 »

chrishy wrote:The IRC has a so-far-regular habit of watching siteadmin streaming. :D It's fun, and usually consists of Conan O'Brien, Youtube videos, and some classic video-game LPs (often Family Feud fun. SCREW YOU, ALBERTS!)

I'm glad you find my pain funny, Chrishy ;)
What?

Oh...
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

This channel was such a great idea. I'm glad it's taken off as well as it has.
Kraze422

Post by Kraze422 »

WARNING:
The following may have content considered unsuitable by some viewers....
What?

Oh...
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

I blame you 110% Kraze. :D
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

This thread now houses IRC quotes as well. :P

[22:57:08] <SayAnything> RMM
[22:57:12] <RedMageMike> Hm?
[22:57:14] <SayAnything> Have you ever seen the movie "Kung Fu Panda"
[22:57:17] <RedMageMike> Nope
[22:57:28] <SayAnything> Okay
[22:57:32] <SayAnything> There's a panda in it
[22:57:36] <SayAnything> He's played by Jack Black
[22:57:43] <SayAnything> And throughout the movie he doesn't believe in himself
[22:57:46] <SayAnything> But it's his job to save the world
[22:57:56] <SayAnything> So his friends help him to learn to believe in himself
[22:58:05] <SayAnything> Basically, what I'm saying is, you need more protein in your diet
[22:58:08] <Kraze422> .....
[22:58:10] <Kraze422> LOL
[22:58:11] <RedMageMike> XD
[22:58:13] <SayAnything> Then you'll get all the babes
Daze

Post by Daze »

Kraze422 wrote:
chrishy wrote:The IRC has a so-far-regular habit of watching siteadmin streaming. :D It's fun, and usually consists of Conan O'Brien, Youtube videos, and some classic video-game LPs (often Family Feud fun. SCREW YOU, ALBERTS!)

I'm glad you find my pain funny, Chrishy ;)
YOUR pain? I'm the one getting threatened... =P
-----
-----