- First place - 20 dollars on Steam, GoG, etc. Plus a neat red username on the talkhaus!
Second place - 10 dollars on Steam, GoG, etc.
Third place - 5 dollars on Steam, GoG, etc.
Official "I've Received Your Level" list
So, here's the official thread for the 2014 Make a Good Level Contest - X! Judged by myself, Quill, and Sturg! I'm starting the sign-up thread a bit early this year!
The contest will run until Midnight, March 8th (the first minute of March 9th). That is more than a full month to make your level if you sign up early! You can sign up all the way until the deadline.
- Please welcome Sturg as the third judge! Also please welcome Willhart, who will be leading the design of the hub. And Blivsey who will be assisting him!
- If you are a new user (less than 5 posts or so), your PM may be flagged as spam. Please email (Horikawa.Otane@icloud.com..) instead to be safe. Or do both.
- A casual reminder that the deadline of March 9th is when you must have your levels in to me by. It isn't the sign-up deadline (there is none)
- Level name difficulty does not equate to the difficulty of the level itself.
- The theme of this one will be Madlib Level Names! I will generate a level name for you, you will then use that level name as an inspiration for your level. The level content is entirely yours to decide, but the level name will be generated.
HOWEVER, unlike last year, there's another little caveat. You'll also be handed random characters. You can ONLY use characters provided in your list, in your level. Meaning if you are handed "Mario and Peach," you can either use Mario, Peach, or both, but CANNOT use Luigi or any others. Fitlers will be placed in the hub. You can include characters not on your list as NPCs.
However, if you're not using lunadll or anything hackish, please feel free to develop in A2XT, vanilla SMBX 18.104.22.168, etc.
Here are the relevant downloads:
- SMBX 22.214.171.124 (unless you want to develop using something else or use Lunalua/lunadll)
- Wohl's Much Better SMBX Editor
- Semi-official MaGL X2 Devkit (required for lunalua stuff. Lunalua may trigger Chrome's virus scans)
- New SMBX Custom Graphics Pack by Squishy Rex
- Squishy Rex's Custom Graphics Pack V1.7
- SMBX Custom Graphics Pack v3.1-Final
- Mudkips Graphic Pack
- Fan of SMBX's Graphics Pack V126.96.36.199
- Horikawa Otane's Fake Exit Star Graphic
- Please suggest any other graphics packs and I'll include them here!
- One or more exits using the SMB3 exit star. A secondary secret alternative star is also acceptable (this secondary star will not be required for advancing in the collaborative tower)
- IF YOU NEED TO USE FAKE STARS, USE THIS SPRITE INSTEAD OF PASTING A BUNCH OF REAL EXIT STARS. It replaces a rupee.
- Be smart with your music choices. Since this will be LP'd by raocow at some point and YouTube uses some smart algorithms to detect certain vocal music tracks, just be sure you're aware of that and choose songs accordingly. Basically, avoid the latest Beyoncé hit singles, etc.
- You CAN use any gimmicks you like, including LunaLua stuff should you see fit and can get it to work consistently
- Make a comment here, send me a PM, or, alternatively, send me an email at Horikawa.Otane@icloud.com....... with your request for an Easy, Medium, or Hard level name.
- Wait for your list of five generated level names and two characters.
- Pick the level name you want to make from the list
- Design a level around that name and at least one of the characters you provided. You cannot include characters you were not given (as playable characters. NPCs are fine), but you may use both of the characters you were provided if you like.
- Make sure your level name is in the format Username-Level Name.lvl (spaces are fine)
- Host your finished level on Mediafire, Mega, or any other file hosting service. Make sure the level is zipped up with the required custom resources like music and graphics that you use.
- Send me the link via email or PM
- If you are a new user (less than 5 posts or so), your PM may be flagged as spam. Please email instead to be safe. Or do both.
- Level name difficulty will have a small impact on score. Easy levels will be an additional +0 to final score, Medium will be an additional +1, and Hard will be an additional +2. Difficulty is based on how hard the target level will be to create based on the generated level name. Generally speaking, the harder the level name, the longer and more complex the generated name. However, the difficulty difference is severe and you will find the harder levels will have much more difficult levels to make than the easier ones. If this is your first time, take an Easy level name and you'll still have an excellent chance to win. The point difference is primarily to differentiate between ties.
- Uniqueness: 20 points
Fun Factor: 40 points
- Personal Fun Factor: 20 points
How much fun you think someone else will have with this level: 20 points
Graphical Choices: 10 points
Use of Character: 10 points
Adherence to the Level Name: 10 points
- Personal Fun Factor: 20 points