(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Lukaz2009
Hunting monsters while ignoring my mayoral duties.
First name: Lucas
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Lukaz2009 »

Hoeloe wrote:
Lukaz2009 wrote: That seems counter-intuitive, since the goal is to make the best level you can. But at the very least I can learn from any mistakes I make.
Far better to mess things up royally trying to make a really interesting and unique level than play it safe and make a forgettable, boring one.

My first SMBX level came last in a contest (MAGKLX), but it was a level consisting primarily of me doing odd things with the engine. It wasn't a well crafted level, by any means, but it was certainly somewhat interesting. It did mean that by the time I made my second level, I had a good grasp of the engine, and managed to create a level that was both interesting and fun to play.
The one thing to take away from my first level will not to be afraid of failure, for failure will eventually lead to personal successes.
Don't open the spoiler, or the Picklesaurus Rex will eat everyone!
You had to open it didn't you... Now the entire Talkhaus is doomed.
Lukaz2009 wrote:Monster Hunter: Where the Desire Sensor will bend you over, make you it's bitch, AND dash all of your hopes and dreams. All at the same time!
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

SAJewers wrote:https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxFN3C ... sp=sharing

OK, here's an archive with SMBX 1.3.0.1, LunaDLL/LunaLua/SDL2 with the regular SMBX exe modified to change the splash screen to the talkhaus wiki (the talkhaus itself gives script errors). Also fixes the sounds, as some of the sound effects if your DevKit were broken.
Out of curiosity, what anti-virus do you use? Avast keeps thinking the smbx exe is a virus/suspicious file for me.
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

raocow in the other thread wrote:I'm so sorry horikawa that you have to generate SO MANY NAMES wow that is amazing the amount of people signing up.
I dearly hope Horikawa uses some form of automation for the level name generation.
cats-on-ice
Back from the grave

Post by cats-on-ice »

I'm finding out just how tedious it is to resprite a character, much less link. Horikawa I'm doing this for you..
Image<--- I h8 u horikawa
Phoba

Post by Phoba »

Lukaz2009 wrote:Any tips for a first timer? Just don't want to muck it up too badly, but probably will since it will be my first level. So looking forward to getting started.
I just try to stick with a philosophy I came up with. "Don't make anything that would annoy yourself, if you were the player seeing the level for the first time."
though i rarely stick with this, it helps give me a general, broad idea of what to do and don't.

also i really hope to see alot of neat stuff with lunalua.
contests always bring out interesting stuff.
(a)smbx(t) stuff i'll probably not continue???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3QzmureUo
Animita
Pronouns: Him/Her

Post by Animita »

Kinda getting excited waiting for the metaphorical gun to go off. Anyone else?
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Animita wrote:Kinda getting excited waiting for the metaphorical gun to go off. Anyone else?
This, all of this. :) :) :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :( :( :o :o :shock: :shock: :!:
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

Ok, I started to use the Wohl editor. I put a lot of things together to see how everything works, but when I wanted to "try" the level, a message told me that the pge_engine.exe was nowhere to be found. Did I skipped something or am I dumb?
cats-on-ice
Back from the grave

Post by cats-on-ice »

Juanbro wrote:Ok, I started to use the Wohl editor. I put a lot of things together to see how everything works, but when I wanted to "try" the level, a message told me that the pge_engine.exe was nowhere to be found. Did I skipped something or am I dumb?
apparently if you open it in smbx editor you can test it there, BUT DON'T SAVE IN SMBX EDITOR
Klaty
GUESS WHO
Pronouns: male/neutral

Post by Klaty »

I would love to join, but...
SMBX lags extensively. Even without anything extra downloaded. What am I gonna do?

Also, hi, I'm new here. I've been kind of afraid to make a Talkhaus account really, with the admins and "big people" and all... heh. :D
That annoying guy who always misses everything important and doesn't know what's going on most of the time. (also occasionally freaks out about minor things)
cats-on-ice
Back from the grave

Post by cats-on-ice »

Klaty wrote:I would love to join, but...
SMBX lags extensively. Even without anything extra downloaded. What am I gonna do?

Also, hi, I'm new here. I've been kind of afraid to make a Talkhaus account really, with the admins and "big people" and all... heh. :D
literally everyone is a big nerd
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Animita wrote:Kinda getting excited waiting for the metaphorical gun to go off. Anyone else?
I've been looking forward to seeing my guys and names for days. I've even forgotten that we won't get them until the first of February and checked for them a couple times in the past few days.

That said, it's technically the first of February now. Come on, Horikawa, get the lead out :V

e: oh
I don't really get it but okay
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

Horikawa Otane wrote:

Just watch out for that Horikawa. She's a real bitch let me tell you.
I can confirm. It's been february for an hour and forty two minutes now and she hasn't sent me a level name. What a bitch!
Quman

Post by Quman »

Ignoritus wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:

Just watch out for that Horikawa. She's a real bitch let me tell you.
I can confirm. It's been february for an hour and forty two minutes now and she hasn't sent me a level name. What a bitch!
Where does she live? If she's in Japan, it's been February 1st for nearly 16 hours.
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

I'm super excited to get started. I just hope I have time to make a decent level this year (gonna definitely need to make a schedule for myself).

Got no real specific "goals". Sure, placing high would be nice, but as long as the judges and raocow enjoy playing the level, I think that'll be satisfying. Still gonna try to place as high as possible though!
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

RedMageMike wrote: but as long as the <people> enjoy playing the level, I think that'll be satisfying
Seconding this ^
Ultratapir

Post by Ultratapir »

FluffiMasta wrote:
Ultratapir wrote:Are you only allowed to use Wohl's editor? And if so why?
Nah, Wohlstands editor just makes everything a bit easier for yourself. The editor has got some neat features like copy+paste, undo button and some more stuff which makes designing levels less tedious.
Ah i see, i'll try it out for sure. I've been practising a bit with the original editor and when you accidentally fill your whole level with sand blocks you really wonder why there is no undo button...
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Horikawa Otane wrote:A teaser of what's to come...
Aquatic Likeable Button
Bob-omb
Heavy Troopa in the France
Intently Murder
Birdo
Your characters will be Luigi and Link
Putting the final touches on the program I'm making to automate this for me. Once that's done (and the excel sheet I'm using is prepped), names will start pouring out.
Good luck on your long day of sending PMs. I hope you also have a quick system in mind for that.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Post by LunarNeedle »

Checking with my boyfriend, we see tons of grammatical errors that makes levels impossible to make unless verified, for obvious reason I cannot place them here, but can we make assumptions and correct the grammar, or should we bring it up with you directly.
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Good luck, have fun everyone.

The hunt is on.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles

Post by Mikkofier »

I think I've bitten off more than I can chew... These Hard names are pretty damn hard! Here's one I didn't use (and would like to see if someone else was insane enough to use):
Horikawa Otane wrote:Let Me Show You What I Know of Entertaining Drawing on Mexican Castle
EDIT: Whoops!
Last edited by Mikkofier 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Here is one which is something I can't create a level with, but it's super hilarious:

Personally, I Think That Mario Is Missing Is a Very Protective and Thoughtful Experience. I Captured That Here

Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Mikkofier wrote:I think I've bitten off more than I can chew... These Hard names are pretty damn hard! Here's one I didn't use (and would like to see if someone else was insane enough to use):
Horikawa Otane wrote:Let Me Show You What I Know of Entertaining Drawing on Mexican Castle
Horikawa Otane wrote:Feel free to discuss rejected level names, characters, and even level names you are having difficulty narrowing down. However, keep ALL level names in spoiler tags. Whether rejected or no.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

FluffiMasta wrote:Here is one which is something I can't create a level with, but it's super hilarious:

Personally, I Think That Mario Is Missing Is a Very Protective and Thoughtful Experience. I Captured That Here

Would that title even fit on an overworld map? Furthermore, if someone had picked that, would the filename have to be

FluffiMasta-PersonallyIthinkThatMarioisMissingisaveryprotectiveandthoughtfulexperience.lvl

?

Good call on not picking it, though. Somebody already did a level like that in the previous MAGLX contest.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

That's the reason why I didn't pick this one. Also, yeah, I doubt it would even fit on an overworld map.