(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

FFR
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion (Final-Final Count: 272 Entries + 31 Bosses!)

Post by FFR »

...wow, I'm late for this one. two things:
first, the whole deal with the powerup filtering seems kinda obvious, the way the judges did is the perfect way
second, don't put even the slightest hint of dragoncoin tracking. for a colab, it would make sense to have something like that, but for a contest, especially with this large amount of first time makers and no indication that the dragoncoins would be of some importance, it just wouldn't work well. having said that, I've made a point of making dragoncoin runs on the maglx lost levels levels, and I'd like to see the dragoncoins have more of an importance in future things
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Horikawa Otane wrote: At this point, based on everything involved, what I think I'm going to do is go ahead and write a simple one anyway (it may be useful down the line), but then make it an optional toggle that defaults to off.
If you want, I can give you a copy of the unreleased raocoinv2, which can be used as a basic dragon coin counter.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

MaGLX3, in which people are given an already-complete level and are judged on how well they place dragon coins within it. Adding new paths is allowed, but people must remove as little as possible from the initial level.

"Make" a Good Level Contest X
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

... not quite the same thing, but

a "make a level good" contest could actually be pretty awesome. Like, giving people a bad level to turn into a good one with the least amount of invasive action.

I mean, I have no idea how you could possibly make it fair without just giving everyone the same level, which would probably be a little boring, but the idea is kind of neat, I think.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I actually like that idea. Like take some of the worse levels from asmbxt, a2xt and maglx and x2 and improve them somehow without overly modifying them in some way.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
FFR

Post by FFR »

MaLG? have a pool of 20 or so levels that everyone can use, and set rules on what can be modified...could be interesting! I just have no idea what the judging criteria would be
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

You wouldn't necessarily need to have a different level for everyone - it would actually be interesting to see how different people tackle the same problem. And I'm not sure how many people would join, since the idea of just modifying an existing thing seems a lot less gratifying than making something completely by yourself... ...Of course, it also sounds super-easy, so, huh. I don't know.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

The "Make a (Bad) Level Good" concept just makes me think of someone taking "Mission: Proud Sky" and resubmitting with a small twist like falling upward into the sky.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

this would imply that mission proud sky is a bad level though
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

the Make a Good Lever contest, where your engineering skills are put to the test
:nb_pride:
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

I kind of like the idea of MALG-contest, since it focuses on improvement, and learning from bad design choices.

It would be good, if the level authors approved the use of their levels. There are 14 rejected levels from A2XT at the bottom of this page, most of which I don't think have been fixed. Reusing A2XT/ASMBXT levels may cause some issues with the graphics, and contacting the authors might be difficult.

SMBX forums have an ample trashcan though. You might get a permission to use some levels from there.

Edit: I won't feel like participating anything during the current contest though. Most of us will need some rest after it.
LadySuburu

Post by LadySuburu »

Talkhaus! Home of the "Make a Good Contest Contest"! Held an exclusive 365 Times a year, everyone is a winner!

First place reward: Your Contest is made into an actual thing and done by talkhaus!

First place two reward: Your Contest is also made into a thing!

Last Place reward: Just cause we feel bad, we'll make yours into a contest too!

I just felt like being silly, and I actually like the concept of the "Improve a Level" thingy.

FFR

Post by FFR »

Horikawa Otane wrote:the same 20 levels over and over again in an LP sounds tedious. We'd need a minimum of about 100 bad levels to make the variety reasonable for 300+ entries. Ideally 200.
I was thinking more along the lines of recognizability, as in raocow playing the original bad levels then playing the contest so we can have all of those fresh in our memories... but I'm not sure. having more levels is a pretty straightforward good idea, and now I feel like I may be overcomplicating things a bit. and, from my point of view, I haven't made a level in months, but from other peeps' point of view, they just finished working on a massive project, and are feeling super rested and raring to take on another massive, lifedraining project, so i will sugest we staert the MALG right nao
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:I'm aware that levels weren't created with this in mind, and so there will be plenty of levels that don't have dragon coins (like mine) or which are just kinda there in the level, but I don't think that should matter...
Why shouldn't it matter though? Those who didn't include dragon coins aren't going to have a chance to include them now. As others said, this should have been laid out before the contest ended rather than after so people would have a chance to account for this. I know that I would have included dragon coins if I'd known beforehand that this sort of thing would be included simply to give the player a reason to explore parts of the level they're not as likely to see otherwise.
7NameSam
hey

Post by 7NameSam »

Make a good dark world
You are given a level from an older episode and you have to make it harder, while having it "feel" like the original level
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If you need levels for a MALG contest, there's 14 levels rejected for A2XT Ep1, as well I have 11 levels from ASMBXT that went unused. Plus, there's probably a few here that are unfinished or bad enough that I can reject it myself for your use.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

if anyone is serious about this, not only would I happily suggest giving access to like the bottom three floors of both maglxes, but I would ask the smbx community if we could also have access to the 'bottom three' categories of all the tower of biases

WIth this + the asmbxt/2 rejects would give quite a big crop to choose from

I would also suggest to let people choose freerange, even encourage combining them or something to make something really good. Like I know it was suggested that you would have to change the least possible, but I semi disagree in that I think it would be a lot more interesting if you could change quite a bit, but still have the level recognisable.

Maybe this is because I tend to have a 'spectator project' mindset to these things though, haha...
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Oh yeah, feel free to use my asmbxt world 1 and 3 levels. They themselves are pretty bad.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Zia Satazaki
Floof Incarnate
Pronouns: she/they

Post by Zia Satazaki »

on the subject of contest ideas, MATILDA: Make A Technically Impressive Level-like Demonstration of Awesomeness (for derping with lua and pushing ALL THE BOUNDARIES :D)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

raocow wrote:if anyone is serious about this, not only would I happily suggest giving access to like the bottom three floors of both maglxes, but I would ask the smbx community if we could also have access to the 'bottom three' categories of all the tower of biases

WIth this + the asmbxt/2 rejects would give quite a big crop to choose from

I would also suggest to let people choose freerange, even encourage combining them or something to make something really good. Like I know it was suggested that you would have to change the least possible, but I semi disagree in that I think it would be a lot more interesting if you could change quite a bit, but still have the level recognisable.

Maybe this is because I tend to have a 'spectator project' mindset to these things though, haha...

First off we should figure out how many people would enter. Then, go from there. If there are more than 23 (one of the ASMBXT levels is actually pretty good, just never finished, and another one I think is OK? I'd have to get pholtos or someone to check), there are a number I can think of that are in the A2XT general level list that I've seen already or could send off to pholtos or someone to make sure they're rejectable.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Why not just have a "Make a Bad Level Contest" like Horikawa said, there was quite the competition to get into last place this year! Why not turn this into a contest and try and make a whole ton of horrible levels.
:pal: Image :pal:

CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Dog In Da Grass wrote:Why not just have a "Make a Bad Level Contest" like Horikawa said, there was quite the competition to get into last place this year! Why not turn this into a contest and try and make a whole ton of horrible levels.
That sounds fun. A MATH X Thing would be one hell of a time.
raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
7NameSam
hey

Post by 7NameSam »

I Am prematurely singing up for the MALG contest
lucasadrianogb
huh
First name: Lucas

Post by lucasadrianogb »

since my level "ghosted" was refused to be used on ASMBXT and it was 1 level after garbage zone in one of the ToB's (and it got its own warning room) i guess its somewhat fits in the category, and it has a neat original gimmick, so feel free to use it.
FFR

Post by FFR »

well gee, the talkhaus is always full of pep when it comes to contests! is it even possible to make a contest for terrible levels and then follow it up with the fix-a-level contest? these things are getting more and more involved, to the point of insanity