(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by FrozenQuills »

Did one last playthrough of my entry with the new version of LunaDLL to make sure everything works fine c:

I'm so excited for all the entries for this contest hahah. Plus I don't think my level is THAT long, actually!
Anyway I'm guessing 195 entries.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Is it possible to make the SMB3 throwable block be affected by gravity before you pick it up?
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
koplje

Post by koplje »

So I have a problem. I'm trying to layer background objects and to do so I'm assuming that you use the "Z offest" setting. The problem though, is that those options are greyed out. How would I go about enabling these?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

FluffiMasta wrote:Is it possible to make the SMB3 throwable block be affected by gravity before you pick it up?
Do you mean the blue brick (NPC ID: 45)? If the nogravity=0 code does not work then it's probably not possible without lua. You could also make shells look like that too, but they would not act exactly the same.
koplje wrote:So I have a problem. I'm trying to layer background objects and to do so I'm assuming that you use the "Z offest" setting. The problem though, is that those options are greyed out. How would I go about enabling these?
"Z offset" does not work with the smbx engine. It will not save to the level file and is only for testing purposes. You just need to be careful not to overlap any background sprites, which might conflict with each other.
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

Nope, nogravity does not work.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Willhart wrote:
koplje wrote:So I have a problem. I'm trying to layer background objects and to do so I'm assuming that you use the "Z offest" setting. The problem though, is that those options are greyed out. How would I go about enabling these?
"Z offset" does not work with the smbx engine. It will not save to the level file and is only for testing purposes. You just need to be careful not to overlap any background sprites, which might conflict with each other.
I believe there is actually a "background sorting override" option somewhere in the object properties, which might serve the purpose.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

ano0maly wrote:That may be the case if you're using Lua, but the Wohl editor is just an improved editor. It doesn't take much effort to learn once you're familiar with basic concepts of SMBX. It shouldn't break things.
While this is generally true, there are a few weird effects that can happen just as a result of working between things. For instance, I was testing a level that had custom graphics that loaded fine in Wohl's but wouldn't work for me when I switched to the regular editor for testing. And in my own level I had that issue where the graphics weren't loading properly in Wohl's until I renamed the level file and folder.

That said, Wohl's editor was a big help for me in learning the program and I'm glad I used it.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Sorel
In the shadows

Post by Sorel »

How do I do a second midpoint?
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

I'm going to guess 255 entries as the final number.
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

FluffiMasta wrote:How do I do a second midpoint?
No way with just the vanilla editor. It can be done with LunaLua though.

Hoeloe made a Multipoints.lua library to make it easier though there is a little bit of a learning curve if you're not yet familiar LunaLua or Lua more generally.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

FluffiMasta wrote:How do I do a second midpoint?
You can also make a hidden shortcut, and give a hint for finding it later in the level.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

So, I've made my first level and all. But, I did not use any of those scripting shenanigans. How do those work? What kinds of things can they do? From what I've seen, they're useful for lots of minor physics adjustments and the like.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

217 is my guess for final level tally.

Anyway, anyone up for some last minute testing? I've gone through the level in full multiple times, but someone else's input would be helpful in case I overlooked any bugs or typos.
romajiQuadhash
typos "raocow" as "roacow" (and I TAS)
First name: Romaji Quadhash
Pronouns: ke/keh/ker

Post by romajiQuadhash »

Ivy wrote:So, I've made my first level and all. But, I did not use any of those scripting shenanigans. How do those work? What kinds of things can they do? From what I've seen, they're useful for lots of minor physics adjustments and the like.
They can do lots. Cutsceens, Bosses, savedata, shops, and probably a lot more if you are able to code it.
This is a sig
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I'm extremely new to all things smbx (other than watching lps of it) and I just signed up and started a level for this thing yesterday.

I have a short, functional level from 8 hours of work, and I'd love for someone to test it! I have no idea what I'm doing with difficulty, this being my first level ever, and I could use some advice in general.

If anyone would help a newbie out (quickly of course) I'd be very grateful! Like I said it's a rather short, one-section level, just a little over smb3-level-length.

Send me a PM!
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

I forgot to make a guess! I'm guessing 164 levels.
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

Level is now functionally complete. I say "functionally" because I still have a few graphic replacements to make and the ending scene to do, but it should be good for testing if anyone wants to do that.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Would anyone like to test my level? Just send me a PM or something.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

I have finished my level, and as such you will all be subject to my puns. GLORIOUS!
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Arctangent
squawky

Post by Arctangent »

Okay. So If I Hypothetically Made an Abstracted Hellish River Level... Would I Win?
Uppity Magikoopa Do Not Often Pop, but When They Do It's Troubling
Can We Please Stop Talking About Oval Hammer Bros? If We Don't, the Wendy Koopas Win
There's Too Few Jumbled Spurious Lava Lotuses
Really, almost all of my names weren't particularly suited for levels. The hellish river level, though, was one of the ones I was going to try by making the first half a really unfocused lava / blood / soul lake level with a ton of nonsensical things, then the midpoint would be right after a cut to the player character, apparently in some bachelor contest or something, explaining the whole concept and finishing with the level title. The more I thought it over, though, I wasn't sure if I could execute it well enough that people would get the joke, and even more so I wasn't sure what would actually happen after the midpoint. Oh well.
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

Alright. Thanks to Dragon Fogel for play testing my level. I did a number of modifications to it, but I would one or two extra volunteers to test my level and, in that way, help me with the testing. Oh, and I was testing my level via Wohl Editor. Where do I need to put my level in order to test directly from SMBX.exe?
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Juanbro wrote:Alright. Thanks to Dragon Fogel for play testing my level. I did a number of modifications to it, but I would one or two extra volunteers to test my level and, in that way, help me with the testing. Oh, and I was testing my level via Wohl Editor. Where do I need to put my level in order to test directly from SMBX.exe?
SMBX.exe level editor should be able to open your level from anywhere, You only need to navigate to find the location of the lvl file.

File -> Open
Last edited by Willhart 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Juanbro
Old school gamer...at least in theory

Post by Juanbro »

Willhart wrote:
Juanbro wrote:Alright. Thanks to Dragon Fogel for play testing my level. I did a number of modifications to it, but I would one or two extra volunteers to test my level and, in that way, help me with the testing. Oh, and I was testing my level via Wohl Editor. Where do I need to put my level in order to test directly from SMBX.exe?
SMBX.exe level editor should be able to open your level from anywhere, You only need to navigate to find the location of the lvl file.
I mean that if it's possible to play my level directly from the game. Like the default levels that come with SMBx.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Juanbro wrote:
Willhart wrote:
I mean that if it's possible to play my level directly from the game. Like the default levels that come with SMBx.
You need a wld file next to the lvl-file and level folder. Place them all into a new folder inside the worlds folder. You can use this example wld file. You just need to set smbx to world editing mode, and change the name of the level the wld file opens first (It's under the settings tab). After saving, the name of the world should be visible on the world select screen.
Attachments
Example.rar
(166 Bytes) Downloaded 55 times
memnarch

Post by memnarch »

Quick question; will the filter that sets the character on the level entry also filter power-ups/vehicles?
Same person from Giantitp.com

(pronounced mem-nark)