(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

FlockOfWingedDoors
Rolling Initiative...

Post by FlockOfWingedDoors »

Lunatic Quark wrote:
FlockOfWingedDoors wrote:I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a first time level maker?

I've been watching our friendly neighbourhood MOO play these for a while, but designing and observing are two different things, I expect.
There are some articles at the bottom of the first post of the signup thread, and there's a thread here that may be helpful

also a couple things from personal experience that I'd like to emphasize are: have other people test your level and give feedback about areas that could be improved or seem too frustrating, it really does help; also, it's very easy for you as the creator of your level to underestimate how hard your level actually is... just... trust me on that part :lol:
Will definitely check those out!

Alright, I'll be careful.
It's easier than 2by2 matrix multiplication.
Shinoda

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Shinoda »

Rule clarification question.

Am I allowed to change the graphics of the character I'm given? Say I get Link for example and I change his sprite sheet to Simon Belmont or whatever other character I feel like (that isn't any of the other 4). Does that break the character rule?
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Ultratapir

Post by Ultratapir »

Im pretty new, and really want to make my first level for MaGLx2, but im having trouble downloading things from mega... When i try to do the thing with the downloading it stops halfway through and says this site is blocked, does anyone know how to fix that?
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Is there a reason why the Semi-Official DevKit contains an old copy of a2mbxt.exe, as well as the A2XT titlescreen instead of SMBX.exe and the default titlescreen? Especially if you're using default graphics and music.

EDIT: To be clear, I"m just wondering why the Semi Official DevKit isn't just SMBX 1.3.0.1 with LunaDLL/LunaLua/SDL2 and Modded exe.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

SAJewers wrote:Is there a reason why the Semi-Official DevKit contains an old copy of a2mbxt.exe, as well as the A2XT titlescreen instead of SMBX.exe and the default titlescreen? Especially if you're using default graphics and music.

EDIT: To be clear, I"m just wondering why the Semi Official DevKit isn't just SMBX 1.3.0.1 with LunaDLL/LunaLua/SDL2 and Modded exe.
The A2XT version might be different somehow, since people have had less problems with it. Also the launcher is at least supposed to open to the talkhaus. I remember the A2XT used on SDS was never, so it might be good to update to that version.

Current devkit launcher seems to be trying to open the http://asmbxt.raocow.com, which kinda is not a thing anymore.
Animita
Pronouns: Him/Her

Post by Animita »

Dumb question, but we are allowed to like share our level with some people for like playtesting before we submit?
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Animita wrote:Dumb question, but we are allowed to like share our level with some people for like playtesting before we submit?
Yes, if it is done in a private way.
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

if you are an artsy type are you allowed to make your own tilesets? I know they have to fit in stylistically to be used well but I am unclear on whether it would be against rules to use them
:nb_pride:
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Wolfolotl wrote:if you are an artsy type are you allowed to make your own tilesets? I know they have to fit in stylistically to be used well but I am unclear on whether it would be against rules to use them
You can mix styles, resolutions, video games and do whatever as long as the level ends correctly, and can be watched on youtube.
FlockOfWingedDoors
Rolling Initiative...

Post by FlockOfWingedDoors »

Is there a list of generally frowned upon level design things? AKA don't bury bosses in radishes, don't make Lakitus that spawn Lakitus etc.
It's easier than 2by2 matrix multiplication.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Sorel »

I don't think you really need a list for something like that, but there are some things you shall not do. I think the list is in the sign-up thread.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Willhart wrote:
SAJewers wrote:Is there a reason why the Semi-Official DevKit contains an old copy of a2mbxt.exe, as well as the A2XT titlescreen instead of SMBX.exe and the default titlescreen? Especially if you're using default graphics and music.

The A2XT version might be different somehow, since people have had less problems with it. Also the launcher is at least supposed to open to the talkhaus. I remember the A2XT used on SDS was never, so it might be good to update to that version.

Current devkit launcher seems to be trying to open the http://asmbxt.raocow.com, which kinda is not a thing anymore.
AFAIK, the only differences are resource and hex edits, nothing that would modify the workings of LunaDLL/LunaLua/SDL2, since those are separate dll binaries.

At least, when downloaded LunaLua and SDL2, neither requires a new .exe.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

FlockOfWingedDoors wrote:Is there a list of generally frowned upon level design things? AKA don't bury bosses in radishes, don't make Lakitus that spawn Lakitus etc.
Here are some more tips. A lot of them are subjective, contradictory, situational, outdated, and/or don't represent the general opinion in one community or another. Some of them might still be helpful though.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=14627

http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... f=32&t=739
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

One thing that strikes me as worth thinking about is using dragon coins as a pacing tool.

Based on levels I've played, I'd say it's particularly effective for making sure your level doesn't feel too short. I can't think of a single example; as long as you have five dragon coins and don't cluster them together, your level should be long enough.

It's not as clear-cut in helping you figure out if the level is too long, but I think it can still be useful in that regard.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Jesuiscontent
Tsundere
First name: cool old field

Post by Jesuiscontent »

FlockOfWingedDoors wrote:Is there a list of generally frowned upon level design things? AKA don't bury bosses in radishes, don't make Lakitus that spawn Lakitus etc.
If you use toehoe music HorikawaOtane will be very mad

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Shinoda wrote:Rule clarification question.

Am I allowed to change the graphics of the character I'm given? Say I get Link for example and I change his sprite sheet to Simon Belmont or whatever other character I feel like (that isn't any of the other 4). Does that break the character rule?
In that same vein: would a level featuring the A2XT cast (replacing the usual Mario cast) be allowed?
Snakebite969
Absolutely No Step On Snek

Post by Snakebite969 »

Jesuiscontent wrote:
If you use toehoe music HorikawaOtane will be very mad
If you use Motha Brain she will be even moar mad
Poppo wrote:Poppo! Poppo! *clickety-clank* Po! Po! Po! *clickety-clank* Po? Po... Po... Po... Pogyaaaah!!
ImageImage
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Snakebite969 wrote:
Jesuiscontent wrote:If you use toehoe music HorikawaOtane will be very mad
If you use Motha Brain she will be even moar mad
Eh... there are cases where a re-skinned one with combined with other custom tricks could maybe be used well... maybe...
cuthbertwensleydale

Post by cuthbertwensleydale »

Where would I go about asking for help with the level editor? The level window is completely unresponsive for me.
http://i.imgur.com/6YmYu4U.png http://i.imgur.com/8WOr9qW.png
Hero will never give up, never hide, never be defeated, never accept evil.
SomethingFawful
Has Chortles

Post by SomethingFawful »

cuthbertwensleydale wrote:Where would I go about asking for help with the level editor? The level window is completely unresponsive for me.
I've had things like that happen, at least in the not as good editor... for me minimizing and unminimizing the window repetitively helped, granted my problem was more to do with semi-buggy Windows VM then anything I'm sure, so this might not be it for you.

In unrelated news if memory serves someone somewhere decided that MaGLX stood for Make a Good Level Xontest. Now, I don't live in Greece, or know any Greek, so I may be wrong about this but the I believe the Greek equivalent of C, is Χ in upper case and χ in lower case, something I have learned in my years in physics classes. So I guess if that's true then that would work. And yes I came here specifically to post this.
cuthbertwensleydale

Post by cuthbertwensleydale »

SomethingFawful wrote:
cuthbertwensleydale wrote:Where would I go about asking for help with the level editor? The level window is completely unresponsive for me.
I've had things like that happen, at least in the not as good editor... for me minimizing and unminimizing the window repetitively helped, granted my problem was more to do with semi-buggy Windows VM then anything I'm sure, so this might not be it for you.

In unrelated news if memory serves someone somewhere decided that MaGLX stood for Make a Good Level Xontest. Now, I don't live in Greece, or know any Greek, so I may be wrong about this but the I believe the Greek equivalent of C, is Χ in upper case and χ in lower case, something I have learned in my years in physics classes. So I guess if that's true then that would work. And yes I came here specifically to post this.
Yeah, the problem I'm having is its just not letting me put stuff in it. Like, I'll click a sprite and move the cursor over the level window and it just won't show up. And if I try to set a background it'll do this weird thing where if I move the cursor around it'll just leave this cursor trail all over the window.
http://i.imgur.com/6YmYu4U.png http://i.imgur.com/8WOr9qW.png
Hero will never give up, never hide, never be defeated, never accept evil.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Background replacement needs to be larger than original, or that happens.
Quman

Post by Quman »

SomethingFawful wrote:In unrelated news if memory serves someone somewhere decided that MaGLX stood for Make a Good Level Xontest. Now, I don't live in Greece, or know any Greek, so I may be wrong about this but the I believe the Greek equivalent of C, is Χ in upper case and χ in lower case, something I have learned in my years in physics classes. So I guess if that's true then that would work.
It's not really correct to say that chi (χ) is the equivalent of C. Our C mostly makes the sounds that kappa (κ) and sigma (ς) make, and when followed by an H can make a sound that wasn't in the Greek language (the sound in Church.) The Greek letter chi (χ) doesn't make any of those sounds, though it is very similar to kappa (κ). The main difference is that chi (χ) is pronounced with more phlegm (it's basically a kappa combined with rough breathing.)

If you've ever wondered why there's a small number of English words that are spelled with a CH but make a K sound (like chaos, character, chrome, chorus, chronological, charisma, or archive,) it's because those words come from the Greek. Usually we leave out the phlegm when we transliterate into English, so... yeah, calling it the Make a Good Level Χontest does work.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

SomethingFawful wrote:In unrelated news if memory serves someone somewhere decided that MaGLX stood for Make a Good Level Xontest. Now, I don't live in Greece, or know any Greek, so I may be wrong about this but the I believe the Greek equivalent of C, is Χ in upper case and χ in lower case, something I have learned in my years in physics classes. So I guess if that's true then that would work.
It's "Make a Good Level X" contest. X is from smbx. SMW versions are called MaGL contests.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

Quman wrote:It's not really correct to say that chi (χ) is the equivalent of C. Our C mostly makes the sounds that kappa (κ) and sigma (ς) make, and when followed by an H can make a sound that wasn't in the Greek language (the sound in Church.) The Greek letter chi (χ) doesn't make any of those sounds, though it is very similar to kappa (κ). The main difference is that chi (χ) is pronounced with more phlegm (it's basically a kappa combined with rough breathing.)

If you've ever wondered why there's a small number of English words that are spelled with a CH but make a K sound (like chaos, character, chrome, chorus, chronological, charisma, or archive,) it's because those words come from the Greek. Usually we leave out the phlegm when we transliterate into English, so... yeah, calling it the Make a Good Level Χontest does work.

Also holy cow Willhart and I have quite the task ahead of us...
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes