(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by FrozenQuills »

Oh snap, half of the score is purely fun factor! neato O:
Will the other judges give personal feedback as well?

EDIT: oh whoops it was already asked
Last edited by FrozenQuills 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Are half-points allowed? If so, it might be handy for tie-breaking, along with the average score rounded to two decimal places.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot

Post by Nathan the Talkmaus »

Horikawa Otane wrote:One thing I AM thinking about is changing the gimmick scoring to 5/5 rather than 10/10. Then increasing the fun scoring to 25/25 to compensate.

Thoughts?
9,001 times this! Fun should be a strong enough category to override all other categories put together and cancel out to no worse than "average".
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Horikawa Otane wrote:One thing I AM thinking about is changing the gimmick scoring to 5/5 rather than 10/10. Then increasing the fun scoring to 25/25 to compensate.
<snip>
Thoughts?
My initial reaction is a conflicted feeling. In principal I'm not a fan of changing a rubric after the fact, but also I do think these specific changes would be improvements to the rubric.
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

I can definitely agree with the use of character value changing - mostly because while it absolutely pushed for a variety in characters, for those who chose to use Mario and Luigi (or only ended up with them as options) there isn't actually a whole lot of 'super unique details' you can work into that design. And sometimes they're not necessarily good things (Luigi can jump higher? Enjoy more carefully positioned jumps you have to have just the right amount of momentum for! or something).

I'm totally all for the new scoring numbers.

Also good luck to all the judges. I had the good fortune to play several levels yesterday and I hope you all have as much enjoyment with even half of them. There's some real treats out there.
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ivy »

Garlyle wrote: Also good luck to all the judges. I had the good fortune to play several levels yesterday and I hope you all have as much enjoyment with even half of them. There's some real treats out there.
I forgot that was yesterday. It already feels like a week ago. This is going to be a long wait, at least until we forget about it.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
CapedLuigisYoshi
some sort of fangirl
Pronouns: she/her

Post by CapedLuigisYoshi »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Ivy wrote:
Garlyle wrote: Also good luck to all the judges. I had the good fortune to play several levels yesterday and I hope you all have as much enjoyment with even half of them. There's some real treats out there.
I forgot that was yesterday. It already feels like a week ago. This is going to be a long wait, at least until we forget about it.
Oh trust me. I won't let you forget.

The hype train begins...
Does that mean you're going to post occasional comments about anonymous levels like last year?
*shrug*

will fix/replace the image down here eventually
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Garlyle wrote:Luigi can jump higher? Enjoy more carefully positioned jumps you have to have just the right amount of momentum for! or something.
I tested a level myself and helped prevent one of those right there from slipping through the cracks.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Ivy wrote:I forgot that was yesterday. It already feels like a week ago. This is going to be a long wait, at least until we forget about it.
Oh trust me. I won't let you forget.
Such cruelty!
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Garlyle wrote:Luigi can jump higher? Enjoy more carefully positioned jumps you have to have just the right amount of momentum for! or something.
In addition to gameplay aspects the character usage can be seen as how well the level is made for that character storywise too.

Edit: It's not always the correct way to look at things though, considering people were allowed to use resprites.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Ivy wrote:Are half-points allowed? If so, it might be handy for tie-breaking, along with the average score rounded to two decimal places.
My expectation is that each judge will give integer scores, but the average of the three will have at least one decimal place. So ties won't be too overwhelmingly rampant, though there will still probably be a fair number.
FFR

Post by FFR »

uh... am I too late to join the point system change discussion?

my level's story was heavily inspired by character choice, and wouldn't have happened without that gimmick, so I'm happy that was a thing in the first place. however, I do agree with the change, because it is more of a "full points if you did, no points if you didn't" thing, so it was just taking decimals away from the judges' pool of untieing levels. and we're going to need lots of tiebreaks I think, because geez 270 is a number
FFR

Post by FFR »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
FFR wrote:uh... am I too late to join the point system change discussion? <br abp="406"><br abp="407">my level's story was heavily inspired by character choice, and wouldn't have happened without that gimmick, so I'm happy that was a thing in the first place. however, I do agree with the change, because it is more of a "full points if you did, no points if you didn't" thing, so it was just taking decimals away from the judges' pool of untieing levels. and we're going to need lots of tiebreaks I think, because geez 270 is a number
<br abp="408"><br abp="409">Yeah you're too late, though I'm glad to see you're on board haha!<br abp="410"><br abp="411">I just redid all of my previous judgements and I'm SO MUCH HAPPIER with the results omfg. This was a really good choice.<br abp="412"><br abp="413">(The relative placements didn't really change, but it just felt a lot better overall. The numbers made a lot more sense, if that makes sense >.<)
good to know you're happy with the changes! even tho I'm late mclaterson over here...

just thought to myself "hey, extra feedback is good", and many peeps seem to think the character gimmick just forced people to tack things on unnecessarily. well, for me it was a level maker
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Glad to see the "received your level list forum" got updated :3 That list of names is pretty impressive! Good to see everyone in this contest. Are the levels that have already been judged in the "Processed" section? *Shifts nervously yet excitedly* How do the judges plan on tackling that list of levels?
:pal: Image :pal:

Lukaz2009
Hunting monsters while ignoring my mayoral duties.
First name: Lucas

Post by Lukaz2009 »

Horikawa Otane wrote:In addition to gameplay aspects the character usage can be seen as how well the level is made for that character storywise too.
Wait, there is supposed to be a story to my level? And I'm supposed to try to use any mechanical differences with my characters? Well jeez, that changes how well my level will score, since my level is solely one thing that one of my characters is weak at doing. Although I believe my level is extremely forgiving in that regard.
Don't open the spoiler, or the Picklesaurus Rex will eat everyone!
You had to open it didn't you... Now the entire Talkhaus is doomed.
Lukaz2009 wrote:Monster Hunter: Where the Desire Sensor will bend you over, make you it's bitch, AND dash all of your hopes and dreams. All at the same time!
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Lukaz2009 wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:In addition to gameplay aspects the character usage can be seen as how well the level is made for that character storywise too.
Wait, there is supposed to be a story to my level? And I'm supposed to try to use any mechanical differences with my characters? Well jeez, that changes how well my level will score, since my level is solely one thing that one of my characters is weak at doing. Although I believe my level is extremely forgiving in that regard.
It can be seen like that, but does not have to, if you manage to use the character in some other way well, via the mechanics or something else. Also I believe only the people who disregard the character rule entirely, will score low on this category.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Lukaz2009 wrote:
There doesn't really need to be. Also since I get the feeling you think there needed to be one because Horikawa appears to have said that it bears mentioning that she was quoting Willhart, it just kinda broke.
Lukaz2009
Hunting monsters while ignoring my mayoral duties.
First name: Lucas

Post by Lukaz2009 »

Willhart wrote:It can be seen like that, but does not have to, if you manage to use the character in some other way well, via the mechanics or something else. Also I believe only the people who disregard the character rule entirely, will score low on this category.
Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:There doesn't really need to be. Also since I get the feeling you think there needed to be one because Horikawa appears to have said that it bears mentioning that she was quoting Willhart, it just kinda broke.
Ah, thank you both for clearing that up. This is actually the first level creation contest I've ever entered, so there are a lot of things I'm very much in the dark about.
Don't open the spoiler, or the Picklesaurus Rex will eat everyone!
You had to open it didn't you... Now the entire Talkhaus is doomed.
Lukaz2009 wrote:Monster Hunter: Where the Desire Sensor will bend you over, make you it's bitch, AND dash all of your hopes and dreams. All at the same time!
7NameSam
hey

Post by 7NameSam »

I feel like I used my character well
My level doesn't quite flow right if i use somebody other than them
romajiQuadhash
typos "raocow" as "roacow" (and I TAS)
First name: Romaji Quadhash
Pronouns: ke/keh/ker

Post by romajiQuadhash »

raocow wrote:all I know is that if I get 164 instead of 163 I'm going to FLIP SO MANY TABLES IN RAGE
raocow is doing something in rage?
what is this maddness?
This is a sig
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

I decided to start rewatching last year's Maggle X LP, and wow, the first part came up a year ago yesterday. It also took about two months to fully play, so double that and raocow will be looking at spending a whole 1/3 of 2015, at least, on Maggle X2. Unless he lets it take over both the A side and B side for awhile.

As for character-talk, my level makes a decent use of my selected character. Not super-extensive, but enough to make it worthwhile I think. Overall my stage is a bit more gimmicky than my entry last year, it's closer to one of my special world stages from STTB2 than one of my normal levels from STTB2.

My second biggest fear is that someone else also did the exact same reference I do in my stage.

My BIGGEST fear is that someone did the exact same reference I do in my stage, but a lot better.

With the amount of stages we have it's not impossible!
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

SpoonyBardOL wrote: My second biggest fear is that someone else also did the exact same reference I do in my stage.

My BIGGEST fear is that someone did the exact same reference I do in my stage, but a lot better.

Oh man! you better not of done what I did! D:
:pal: Image :pal:

romajiQuadhash
typos "raocow" as "roacow" (and I TAS)
First name: Romaji Quadhash
Pronouns: ke/keh/ker

Post by romajiQuadhash »

SpoonyBardOL wrote:I decided to start rewatching last year's Maggle X LP, and wow, the first part came up a year ago yesterday. It also took about two months to fully play, so double that and raocow will be looking at spending a whole 1/3 of 2015, at least, on Maggle X2. Unless he lets it take over both the A side and B side for awhile.

As for character-talk, my level makes a decent use of my selected character. Not super-extensive, but enough to make it worthwhile I think. Overall my stage is a bit more gimmicky than my entry last year, it's closer to one of my special world stages from STTB2 than one of my normal levels from STTB2.

My second biggest fear is that someone else also did the exact same reference I do in my stage.

I'm watching it for the first time now.
Given my watching speed, I bet I will have just finished watching MaGLX by the time the sequel is done.
This is a sig
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

watching the submission list and I'm kinda bummed that valterri didn't join.

like no reason in particular, I just thought it was funny that one of the 'greats' got a good but not super score last time, and I wanted to see if he would 'adapt' to a different philosophy but no go!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Sorel »

Hm, the change in the score rubrics will probably utterly destroy the score of my level, but eh... maybe story-heavy levels can be fun, who knows...