(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Blivsey »

Can't wait to get back home so I can really get to that 'assisting' thing. All I've done so far is supply Willhart with ideas, but I plan to make myself much more useful coming Monday.

Also, I'm not allowed to participate in the contest because I'm helping, am I...
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Well, remember that last year's contest had a special area with stages from the judges and hub designer (as well as a few surprise people). So I'd imagine you'll still get a chance to make a level for this.

Not that I expect Horikawa to do the exact same thing for this contest's bonus world. I'm thinking there's going to be some kind of weird twist to surprise us.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

what's up? How y'all doing?
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
Mabel
Just west of wierd
https://marbels.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mabel »

Mabel wrote: My only goal this year is to place higher than Willhart lets go!
Image Image
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Make a Good Level Contest X2 - MaGL X2 Sign-up Thread!

Post by Wohlstand »

Hey, in the MaGL X2 Devkit in the "A BETTER EDITOR\configs\SMBXInt\main.ini" a mistake: should be defined path to SMBX build. You should run "configure.exe" tool (which in the same folder) which will ask you for SMBX path and will made all changes automatically. This required to get able use "SMBX Integration pack" - need to define path to SMBX, therefore you will get errors with "wrong graphic file", because wrong path.

But I have easier way: remove "application-path = <change it!>" line from "A BETTER EDITOR\configs\SMBXInt\main.ini" and all will be fine ;)
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly

Re: Make a Good Level Contest X2 - MaGL X2 Sign-up Thread!

Post by Wohlstand »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:Hey, in the MaGL X2 Devkit in the "A BETTER EDITOR\configs\SMBXInt\main.ini" a mistake: should be defined path to SMBX build. You should run "configure.exe" tool (which in the same folder) which will ask you for SMBX path and will made all changes automatically. This required to get able use "SMBX Integration pack" - need to define path to SMBX, therefore you will get errors with "wrong graphic file", because wrong path.

But I have easier way: remove "application-path = <change it!>" line from "A BETTER EDITOR\configs\SMBXInt\main.ini" and all will be fine ;)
They're relative paths. It worked for me =/.
Just in case, because "application-path" variable is a redefinition of a searching root ( application-path + "/worlds/", application-path + "/graphics/", etc...). All path relative, but this variable defining absolute path (if no defined, auto-value is PGE's app-path which is correct)
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... n.cpp#L158, when will be 100% correctly. but "<change it!>" is invalid value
Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Post by Clamestarebla »

My goal this year: top 30
oh yeah
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Mabel wrote:
Mabel wrote: My only goal this year is to place higher than Willhart lets go!
We will see how it goes, considering I'm multitasking different levels. I do have some ideas stored up, so I'm feeling hopeful.
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Post by LunarNeedle »

Got near last place in MAGL2, got middle place is MAGLX, expect a high finish for MAGLX2? If so, hype! I can't wait for MAGLX3 where I get higher than highest. The patterns are outrageous I say!
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I can't wait to get started. My only real goal is to not fall victim to "one stupid level design decision ruins entire level" syndrome this time. If I can do that, I'll be happy. :D
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely

Post by Oddwrath »

Any ETA on when the lists will come out?
e: nvm, just saw the op
:lesbian_pride: my avatar is from that obake game made in 2001 that you cannot play anymore unless you run it through a virtual machine and apply a locale patch
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Wow. The signup thread hasn't even been up 24 hours and we already have more than 60 posts in it, most of which are signups.

And that's not accounting for people who may have signed up through PMs.

As I recall, last year there were over 200 entrants, of which 134 made levels. I wonder how the numbers will compare this time.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Oh, this is open now. I kinda want to enter and properly finish my level unlike last year but I've actually been fairly busy lately compared to usual so I think I'll just look forward to seeing what sorts of things people make this time around instead.
Shinoda

Post by Shinoda »

Horikawa Otane wrote:

This came up in my planning for MaGL X2's post-game.

Thought I would share.
Maybe someone could redo it for better quality... the audio is kinda bad but the song is awesome.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage
Minus
Always edits posts

Post by Minus »

I apologize if this was covered in the main thread, but do we need to make sure the level is playable for both characters we are given, or can we focus on just one of them?
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

What, did you get Link/Luigi? You pick one of the two characters you're given. This was argued extensively in the planning thread as people were concerned about being required to build Link levels that are also functional for other characters.
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Minus
Always edits posts

Post by Minus »

Alright, awesome. Thanks!
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork

Post by LunarNeedle »

A question to anyone who can answer, is preparing graphical sets for multiple levels considered illegal. I generally produce ten folders with a blank level in it and a graphic folder which I load with matching graphics from various packs, rename them and test them around in a level to make a nice combination of graphics. I did that for my ASMBLT level and I'm severely curious if that'll violate the rules of MAGLX2 to have loads of graphic sets I can pull from to build my level from. Is this considered cheating?
- Grandma
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

LunarNeedle wrote:A question to anyone who can answer, is preparing graphical sets for multiple levels considered illegal. I generally produce ten folders with a blank level in it and a graphic folder which I load with matching graphics from various packs, rename them and test them around in a level to make a nice combination of graphics. I did that for my ASMBLT level and I'm severely curious if that'll violate the rules of MAGLX2 to have loads of graphic sets I can pull from to build my level from. Is this considered cheating?
I can't see why it would be, though it may be worth getting a ruling from Horikawa.
Ignoritus
O◡O

Post by Ignoritus »

LunarNeedle wrote:A question to anyone who can answer, is preparing graphical sets for multiple levels considered illegal. I generally produce ten folders with a blank level in it and a graphic folder which I load with matching graphics from various packs, rename them and test them around in a level to make a nice combination of graphics. I did that for my ASMBLT level and I'm severely curious if that'll violate the rules of MAGLX2 to have loads of graphic sets I can pull from to build my level from. Is this considered cheating?
I can't possibly imagine how someone could consider this cheating. That would be equatable to saying that studying for a test is cheating.
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork

Post by LunarNeedle »

Ignoritus wrote:I can't possibly imagine how someone could consider this cheating. That would be equatable to saying that studying for a test is cheating.
While not initially cheating, it would skip an essential step in level making. I might customize the graphics from there, but I have in essence created a part of a level. A good example would be making a set of colour palettes before a final painting project in art class (they do those, right?)
Hoeloe wrote:I can't see why it would be, though it may be worth getting a ruling from Horikawa.
Yeah, that's a good point. Thankfully she was summoned!
Horikawa Otane wrote:Oh no - go nuts. Use as many graphic resources as you want!
Oh crap, I was not expecting that. Uhh! Ahh? Which one?
Last edited by LunarNeedle 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
- Grandma
LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork

Post by LunarNeedle »

Now for something I've been playing with and I don't know if it deserves a thread. I would love to talk the minutia involving level design. Just quick explanations with some examples of level designing including rythmn groups, railroading and likewise. I'd love to explain them just in time for MAGLX2, just I wonder if video format would be an improvement versus textual. Any opinions on the matter?
- Grandma
Doctor Shemp
Banned

Post by Doctor Shemp »

LunarNeedle wrote:Now for something I've been playing with and I don't know if it deserves a thread. I would love to talk the minutia involving level design. Just quick explanations with some examples of level designing including rythmn groups, railroading and likewise. I'd love to explain them just in time for MAGLX2, just I wonder if video format would be an improvement versus textual. Any opinions on the matter?
Depends how good a talker you are really. Personally though I prefer reading to lectures because I can follow the content at my own pace and in any order. Definitely use pictures though. However, if you think you need to demonstrate gameplay in motion rather than in diagrams or stills, then obviously a lecture is the way to go. I have seen very insightful analyses of SMB1, SMB3, LoZ1 & Doom done with just text, screenshots and diagrams though.
Skully

Post by Skully »

Man, I'm hyped... I keep going over hypothetical design choices and graphic swaps in my head. Like, "If I get Toad, I'll do such and such!" or "If my level title is like so, I'll add this and that!" I hope to branch out of the "vanilla-X" level design I did last year and muck about with layers, events and the like. Maybe learn some Luna DLL...
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

Horikawa Otane wrote:Levels names drop this Sunday....
Oh man, I'm looking forward to seeing what horror I get put with :D