(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

GlitchedGhost

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by GlitchedGhost »

King of GETs wrote:
GlitchedGhost wrote:Okay, can someone give me their opinion?
I made this sprite, and I can't decide between the two versions.
Yeah, the first one looks better than the second one. The first one has the extra straight line whereas the second one looks too diagonal. Of course, this is just personal preference and depends on the overall look of the other human-like sprites used.

I went ahead and sent my level to Horikawa Otane via PM, but since I have less than 5 posts, should I send it via e-mail too?
Okay, thank you! It helps getting a second opinion.
He captured!
raocow wrote:last night I had a dream where I finally understood what a 'birb' is, and turns out it's a collyflower
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

I... I think I'm done! The stage has zero lag when I don't have chrome open (and a billion and a half tabs), it's not too easy, not too hard, feels very late game, and I can't find any cutoff or graphical wtfery! I'm really excited! I just have one thing to do before I package it up and ship it off!
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Aaaand submitted.

Here's hoping. Good luck, everyone!
raocow wrote: 4 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

I finished my stage, though it'll require a lot of testing before I submit it. I'm having Fogel go over it first, since I can get pretty much instant feedback from him due to him being in my IRC channel, but if anyone else wants to give it a spin, let me know, and I'll link you once the initial testing phase is over.

Just be warned: It is very in-jokey, due to the level name I went with, and it is very silly and chaotic. If you can't handle that, don't volunteer. :lol:
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

ah I think my level's done! now I just gotta decide whether to tweak it a bit more or zip it up and send it to Horikawa...
:nb_pride:
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I've been poking at mine for most of the day. A fair amount of tweaking the second half, adding a little bit more content, replacing most of the graphics I want to, picking out music... The gameplay is more or less done, though, barring feedback from testing.

I still have one section that's a placeholder right now (it won't have any enemies or obstacles in the final version but I haven't fixed it up yet) and a handful of graphic swaps to make, as well as possibly swapping out the rest of the music for custom songs. Still, I'm very close to done and that feels good.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
DullahanDodgeman
The Incompetent

Post by DullahanDodgeman »

I tried copying the effect for the fake star from the rupee to the ring (because I'm using Link and when he kills things sometimes that particular rupee comes out) and after putting the old graphing for the blue rupee back and changing the name to match the ring npc, the blue rupee kept the star sprite and the ring just has four glitchy frames of the star. Can anyone help with this, because the fake star is sort of crucial to the level and the level is somewhat built around Link.
Is this the spot where I place my order for a large pizza?
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

You may have to adjust the frame rate in the NPC's text file - I don't know the details of this, but it's something that can be done. Also, for the rupee, just delete any files relating to its NPC number in your level folder.
tenta
First name: Alex

Post by tenta »

Click on spoiler if you are willing to help me to edit a sprite.
Is anyone up to make a orange/red flaming cheep cheep, change Motherbrain to Remilia scarlet, changing cherrios into cards? this is vital for my level.
Last edited by tenta 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Finished. I need a couple other people to test mine though. If you've got the time, and you've got the moxie, do send a PM if you please.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Klaty wrote:level stuff

oh my gosh you were making a Tower Of Heaven level werent you

WELL I'm not nearly as far into my level as I'd hoped I would be. Work and illness have been kind of a bother and I've only got the first half roughed out, and none of the custom graphics yet. Hopefully I can get the time to finish it...

Can anyone direct me towards any good "house"-type graphics (both indoor and outdoor)? I can probably find something on Spriters Resource, but having a direction would be helpful.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
Klaty
GUESS WHO
Pronouns: male/neutral

Post by Klaty »

swirlybomb wrote:

oh my gosh you were making a Tower Of Heaven level werent you

WELL I'm not nearly as far into my level as I'd hoped I would be. Work and illness have been kind of a bother and I've only got the first half roughed out, and none of the custom graphics yet. Hopefully I can get the time to finish it...

Can anyone direct me towards any good "house"-type graphics (both indoor and outdoor)? I can probably find something on Spriters Resource, but having a direction would be helpful.
I don't really see how? I mean yeah, with the left moving gimmick, but my main theme was forest/maze/doors. I'd probably need Lua to do that, though. ToH seems to be a big craze around the raocow community these days... I'm like halfway done, and I have another gimmick up my sleeves. I doubt I'll be in the top 5, if even on the top 10, and I doubt anybody will notice the little recolors I did, and I don't assume I get extra points for doing this much for a first-timer.
Illness isn't in my way, and I currently have skiing holiday. What worries me is that I have school next Monday...

Uhhh, the heck? My Chrome just closed, then opened again. I have all this text here still, and this same thing happened to me yesterday, and some extension that gave me lots of ads appeared, but this time I don't have any extension randomly added.
That annoying guy who always misses everything important and doesn't know what's going on most of the time. (also occasionally freaks out about minor things)
DullahanDodgeman
The Incompetent

Post by DullahanDodgeman »

I'm pretty much done with my level, aside from the issue with the rupee and the star I am still trying to remedy, so if anyone wants to play-test it and give a bit of feedback on the level, I would be grateful.
Also because I need some outside opinions about the
semi-liberal usage of lava in two of the section, and if the short water section is justifiable and unique enough to have in there,
because I like the way it is implemented but sometimes the hyper-precise platforming is a little iffy. Or if I should make it harder.
Is this the spot where I place my order for a large pizza?
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Just submitted my level... So nervous!
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Trotim

Post by Trotim »

If anyone is testing levels I'd like to add mine to the pile. It uses a couple LunaLua tweaks I want to verify are working. Level itself I'm happy with though more free time would have helped me make another iteration or two. Send a PM, thanks

Unused names:
Hell Chemical - was a close second though making both a "chemical" and a "hell" environment I figured was too much at once (for me to draw sprites for)
The Mushroom Kingdom - would have had to make it a gimmick level about drugs or something by taking the name too literally, wasn't in the mood
Assist - considered but favored idea required more LunaLua than I was comfortable implementing
Ordinary Constants - playing with constants like gravity would have led to another gimmick-focused level when I really just wanted to make a mostly normal one
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

horikawa confirmed to be able to smell the fear in your level and tear your heart apart
:nb_pride:
Penguin Emperor
Omnipotent Feathered Tyrant

Post by Penguin Emperor »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
FusionWarrior wrote:Just submitted my level... So nervous!
nervousness is -20 points
Cool, so if I'm feeling bold and confident, but not arrogant, that should be 20 points extra credit, right? ;)
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Penguin Emperor wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:
FusionWarrior wrote:Just submitted my level... So nervous!
nervousness is -20 points
Cool, so if I'm feeling bold and confident, but not arrogant, that should be 20 points extra credit, right? ;)
Pretty sure confidence is -30.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

DullahanDodgeman wrote:I tried copying the effect for the fake star from the rupee to the ring (because I'm using Link and when he kills things sometimes that particular rupee comes out) and after putting the old graphing for the blue rupee back and changing the name to match the ring npc, the blue rupee kept the star sprite and the ring just has four glitchy frames of the star. Can anyone help with this, because the fake star is sort of crucial to the level and the level is somewhat built around Link.
I just ran a test of applying Horikawa's fake star graphic to the ring (id=152) and it worked perfectly. I just renamed all three files from 252 to 152 and it worked. Did you perhaps forget to include the .txt file?
RoundPiplup

Post by RoundPiplup »

Finished my level, but its just one of those levels where things get limited.

Rejected Level Titles:
Deranged Toad Path
I dont even think that I could even match my level with this title...
Back in My Day They Regretted Hyrule
It would have been chosen, but without Link as my character, it might just become another story.
Mission: Delightful Graveyard
I couldn't make a graveyard look like if it was cursed and when the curse was lifted... the whole graveyard becomes a happy place. Mainly... I don't know what to make under that graveyard.
Well Shucks, I Never Expected Protoman to Be So Quarrelsome
I wouldn't really be able to build all the graphics if I could within 2 weeks when I didn't knew that there was a big contest going on.
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

I have to say I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's levels when the contest is over and they've all been judged.

I'm hoping I do reasonably well, if only because game design is my job and it would be rather embarrassing if I did really badly.
CrispyMWHC
Arrangements in fulminating vective
Pronouns: he/him/his
http://crispymwhc.talkhaus.com/

Post by CrispyMWHC »

Hoeloe wrote:I have to say I'm really looking forward to seeing everyone's levels when the contest is over and they've all been judged.

I'm hoping I do reasonably well, if only because game design is my job and it would be rather embarrassing if I did really badly.
Same here, but for the opposite reason. This having been the first time I've played around with any kind of level editor, I'm excited to see how things play out.
raocow wrote: 4 years ago oh SHIT

THE PROCEDURES
raocow wrote: 4 years ago I can't believe my mystical wizard friend told me to touch grass.
https://www.youtube.com/user/CrispyMWHC -- I play the games for the internet.
McKnackus
Nobody ex-CAWCAW

Post by McKnackus »

Is there a way to force a movement on the player character? I have
a part where the player needs to be spinjumping after having jumped through a warp. They are in the air after the warp.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

McKnackus wrote:Is there a way to force a movement on the player character? I have
a part where the player needs to be spinjumping after having jumped through a warp. They are in the air after the warp.
Perhaps look into SMBX events. They can force simulated character keypresses which may do the job for you.

If that doesn't do the job for you case, LunaDLL/LunaLua shenanigans can force a player into spinjump state too.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I'm having some issues with sprite replacements, more specifically using them in Wohl's editor. I gave an NPC a shorter graphic, and the result of this was that when I tested the level, the new sprite appeared with its top portion drawn where the original sprite's top portion was, and then it fell a few pixels to the ground.

I was able to fix this by moving the sprite in regular SMBX, but for future reference I'm wondering if there's something I can do about it in Wohl's editor, which is showing the original sprites everywhere.