(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So I just stumbled across a nice feature of Wohl's editor. Under the File menu, there are options to "Export to image" or "Export section to image". What this will do is make a .PNG file of your whole level or the section you're currently working on. Might be useful if you want someone to give you thoughts on the aesthetics before you go hammering out the gameplay!

(Of course, don't go showing everyone right now. Have to leave some surprises, after all.)
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Penguin Emperor
Omnipotent Feathered Tyrant

Post by Penguin Emperor »

Since it's fun to see what was generated and not used, I'll share my unused level names as well.
My Handling of Magikoopa in the Perfect Citadel Is Simply Art. You Just Don't Get It.
The Greatest Revolution in Smbx Level Design Has Been My Use of Podoboos in This Mature Mushroom Kingdom Level Right Now.
When robots learn how to play tetris how are we going to take over the world?
Actually, It's About Pansers in Ghostly Savannahs
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I'll share my other remaining names since by now, I worked out the level concept and began implementing it.
Koopa Paratroopa Acropolis - This could be a good idea if you have a decent idea for what to do with the koopas. I found that the "SMB2 Clouds" background could be very appropriate here.
Knowledgeable Dimension - Could have been used for a puzzle themed level.
Tenderly Worry - This is... abstract.
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Wooh I finally started on my level!

Or in other words, I figured out how to implement a background and that was all.

B-but progress.
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Whimsical Calamari
i am the one that sings the chorus when you hum in the shower

Post by Whimsical Calamari »

Pretty sure I'm not even going to get a level started at this point.
ImageImage Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lukaz2009
Hunting monsters while ignoring my mayoral duties.
First name: Lucas
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Lukaz2009 »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:Pretty sure I'm not even going to get a level started at this point.
Don't say that. Devote a little time to your level each day. Even only 20 minutes a day is sufficient to get started. I was really daunted by it at first, but once I started working on my level all the pieces falling into place. I was also really nervous to actually submit my level once it was finished, but I told myself "I've made this level and I don't care who well it places. I'll be proud of it regardless." Because it wouldn't place at all if I didn't submit it.

So just try your best. You still have tons of time to finish it. Try narrowing down the scope of your ideas and see where it will take you, because it sounds to me that you're giving up before you've even began.
Don't open the spoiler, or the Picklesaurus Rex will eat everyone!
You had to open it didn't you... Now the entire Talkhaus is doomed.
Lukaz2009 wrote:Monster Hunter: Where the Desire Sensor will bend you over, make you it's bitch, AND dash all of your hopes and dreams. All at the same time!
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

It shouldn't take that long for the actual level making. It did take me some time to decide on a level name and an idea, and learn the basics of the editor through tutorials.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

I feel like I'm spending far too long on level making, but eh... I get over-ambitious, I think it'll be an interesting result, and it's fun to do, so... whatevers :roll:

In any case though, certainly doesn't have to take a long time indeed, as others have stated.
cats-on-ice
Back from the grave

Post by cats-on-ice »

YelseyKing wrote:So, I just discovered an interesting -- and awesome -- feature of Wohlstand's editor. Imported block graphics will automatically have their hitboxes adjusted to match their new size. For instance, in the default editor, if you replaced a block that was 32x64 with one that was 32x32, it would still have a 32x64 hitbox, with half of it simply being invisible. In Wohlstand's editor, it automatically changes it to a 32x32 block. This property even seems to carry over to the default editor/program... of course, if you try to move it, it'll "correct" itself back to the default dimensions. I haven't thoroughly tested this, so I'd be interested in hearing if this breaks anything that anyone knows of. If this is truly something that works without bugs, then hallelujah, that is incredibly awesome. Being forced to have to adhere to existing dimensions is such a gigantic pain.

It also seems to work for background graphics, but not entirely. It works and they display properly in the Wohlstand editor, but unfortunately, they go back to their "proper" dimensions in the default editor/program. Bleh. A shame, as those are *far* harder to replace properly, due to the wonky, seemingly random dimensions of many of the default graphics...
no friggin way.. Does this work for sprites as well?
Image<--- I h8 u horikawa
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

cats-on-ice wrote:no friggin way.. Does this work for sprites as well?
I haven't actually tested that; it might, but sprites are pretty flexible as it is (due to you being able to resize dimensions and all manner of other variables via an accompanying text file), so it's not *quite* as important with those.
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

In the Sorting Priority dropdown thing for background elements, is a higher number or a lower number needed to make something appear in the foreground?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Ometeotl wrote:In the Sorting Priority dropdown thing for background elements, is a higher number or a lower number needed to make something appear in the foreground?
It's just for testing purposes. There are some backgrounds that will go in front or back of everything else. The sorting priority or altered background tile sizes can't be saved in the lvl file.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

Willhart wrote:
Ometeotl wrote:In the Sorting Priority dropdown thing for background elements, is a higher number or a lower number needed to make something appear in the foreground?
It's just for testing purposes. There are some backgrounds that will go in front or back of everything else. The sorting priority or altered background tile sizes can't be saved in the lvl file.
"Can't be", or just "aren't yet"? I have no idea how the lvl file format works, but I certainly hope it can be done eventually; being able to set the size and priority of background graphics would be a *huge* help. Fortunately, the size/dimensions of blocks *do* seem to be saved in the lvl file, so there's *that* much at least...
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

YelseyKing wrote:
Willhart wrote:
"Can't be", or just "aren't yet"? I have no idea how the lvl file format works, but I certainly hope it can be done eventually; being able to set the size and priority of background graphics would be a *huge* help. Fortunately, the size/dimensions of blocks *do* seem to be saved in the lvl file, so there's *that* much at least...
We'd need a new engine to read altered lvl-file formats. The default smbx that everything uses currently, can only read specific lvl file structure. Wohlstand is building the entire thing from ground up, so it should be possible after that is done. Also it is possible to make fake background tiles using blocks and npcs.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

YelseyKing wrote:
cats-on-ice wrote:no friggin way.. Does this work for sprites as well?
I haven't actually tested that; it might, but sprites are pretty flexible as it is (due to you being able to resize dimensions and all manner of other variables via an accompanying text file), so it's not *quite* as important with those.
Probably not. With NPCs, the sizedimensions can be modified with flags in an NPX-XX.txt file. With blocks, each block you place has its own metadata that can be modified within the .lvl file. If you wanted one note block to be 128x128, you could open the .lvl file in a text editor and modify the dimensions for just that block.

see http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... =69&t=1012
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
cats-on-ice
Back from the grave

Re: MaGL X2 - Levels Due March 6th. Sign-up Still Ongoing!

Post by cats-on-ice »

Can someone help me out with custom graphics?
I'm replacing everything with shy guys sprites from yoshi's island DS, but even when I've replaced the regular npcs and masks, when I try to open the level is says they're in the wrong format. They're both .gifs so iunno
Image<--- I h8 u horikawa
Willhart
Banned

Re: MaGL X2 - Levels Due March 6th. Sign-up Still Ongoing!

Post by Willhart »

cats-on-ice wrote:Can someone help me out with custom graphics?
I'm replacing everything with shy guys sprites from yoshi's island DS, but even when I've replaced the regular npcs and masks, when I try to open the level is says they're in the wrong format. They're both .gifs so iunno
Make sure that those .gifs don't have any transparent pixels, and that both the height and the width of the the sprites are an even number of pixels.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I have platforms in a layer that oscillates vertically at a slow speed. I try to place some objects, like bowser statues, and they keep falling off when the platform is moving up. This happens whether or not the objects are in the same layer.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Moving platforms and NPCs don't seem to like each other. It happens with many, maaaany NPCs, but some actually move along (on the top of my head I only remember the Bullet Bill Cannons). Play around with a few NPCs and look if they fall through.

Also are there any tutorials for cinematX out there?

Like, as much as I try to understand, I just can't without any help.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Willhart wrote:
In that case, is there a way to prevent a Thwomp from having foreground priority over a background object? I have Foreground? checked as Off for the NPC and the background is a replaced fence and thus supposed to be foreground by default, but the Thwomp refuses to go behind it.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Ometeotl wrote:In that case, is there a way to prevent a Thwomp from having foreground priority over a background object? I have Foreground? checked as Off for the NPC and the background is a replaced fence and thus supposed to be foreground by default, but the Thwomp refuses to go behind it.
Only the topmost smb1 fences (the smaller and more reddish ones) and some other tiles go on the foreground. You should not need to do anything for the Thwomp.
DullahanDodgeman
The Incompetent

Post by DullahanDodgeman »

Well crap.
I was making some of my level and had made two sections of it, but I tried playtesting the level and it gave me an error, then closed the editor. Then when I reopened it and tried loading the level again, I got a "Run-time error '13' Type mismatch" error, and now I can't load the level at all.
I just tried loading it in the Wohl Editor, and (after loading the custom graphics in) I got a error saying something about bad code in one of my sections. Is there any way I can get into the code and maybe get rid of that section, and also is there something in the SMBX engine that breaks when you put enemies in the water?
Is this the spot where I place my order for a large pizza?
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

DullahanDodgeman wrote:Well crap.
I was making some of my level and had made two sections of it, but I tried playtesting the level and it gave me an error, then closed the editor. Then when I reopened it and tried loading the level again, I got a "Run-time error '13' Type mismatch" error, and now I can't load the level at all.
I just tried loading it in the Wohl Editor, and (after loading the custom graphics in) I got a error saying something about bad code in one of my sections. Is there any way I can get into the code and maybe get rid of that section, and also is there something in the SMBX engine that breaks when you put enemies in the water?
Download this and place it to the same folder with the smbx.exe. Try to open your level with it and remove the thing you changed recently. Some custom graphics may cause that error.

EDIT: Did you happen to use decimal points on the npc text files? I'm pretty sure they need to be dots instead of commas.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=12150
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Can you send me the level file converted to a text file?

Just copy it and replace .lvl with .txt.

EDIT, well maybe I should probably write why:

Sometimes when you use characters like " or others the level will give you that error. I could check the data of the level file for any weird characters for you because that is pretty tedious.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

FluffiMasta wrote:Can you send me the level file converted to a text file?

Just copy it and replace .lvl with .txt.
You can open .lvl file directly with notepad. There is no need to convert it.