(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Rixithechao »

italianspy wrote:I think I'm getting the hang of scripting and custom graphics and music, but I really need help for an important thing.

Is it possible, is the engine, for an NPC to spawn another NPC upon death? I really need it as an effect for my level to work

Also, could anyone point me to a better thread to ask for help? I feel bad always posting here when I have trouble

Thanks in advance!
Spawning brand new NPCs is currently one of the holy grails of LunaDLL/LunaLua, it's not easy to do without generator manipulation. You could fake it by hiding the second NPC in another layer or somehow cancelling the death and converting the existing NPC by changing its' NPC ID.

Check out the link in my signature for quick links to the LunaDLL and LunaLua help threads and a bunch of other resources.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Nimono wrote:Is it possible to make background tiles and blocks be a larger size than default? Last time I tried, it went back to default size anyway, so I'm not sure how to make these tiles I made work when they're not a perfect power of 2 size...
You can only resize blocks. If you place them with the wohl editor, they should retain their size. They only need to have a correct mask and graphic. You can also disable the grid to place them freely, but it requires some precision and doing that to a large amount of blocks is probably not a good idea.
YelseyKing
Anyone want a banana? :3
First name: Matt

Post by YelseyKing »

italianspy wrote:I think I'm getting the hang of scripting and custom graphics and music, but I really need help for an important thing.

Is it possible, is the engine, for an NPC to spawn another NPC upon death? I really need it as an effect for my level to work

Also, could anyone point me to a better thread to ask for help? I feel bad always posting here when I have trouble

Thanks in advance!
I can actually think of a way to do that with vanilla resources, but it'd be somewhat tedious to do, and probably not as accurate as you'd like.

You can set each NPC you want to spawn a new NPC upon death to its own layer, place the NPC you want spawned on another layer, then set up an event to show the second NPC's layer when the first NPC is defeated. If that made any sense at all. :P
Ayjo and Meya are watching you. Be on your best behavior.

Moists:

The (Talkhaus) Price is Right
On hiatus. It'll return someday.
Linhasxoc
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Linhasxoc »

Here's kind of a rules/ethics question. I'd like to use some of the STTB assets for my level (specifically, the weird yellow dude in STTB 1). Is this OK, or would that count as plagiarism?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Linhasxoc wrote:Here's kind of a rules/ethics question. I'd like to use some of the STTB assets for my level (specifically, the weird yellow dude in STTB 1). Is this OK, or would that count as plagiarism?
I don't think he is copyrighted or anything. Also I don't think no one would mind if you added Garfield to your level or some other super known characters. This likely counts as a parody or something.
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:
Wolfolotl wrote:ah shoot...

I wanted something that could throw projectiles that I could replace sprites with

I don't know what exactly you're imagining, but you could potentially mimic the behavior and size of a Baseball Chuck by using Sniffits and NPC flags. If you wanted to delve into Luna, you could also make the Hammer Bros throw different things than hammers (though idk how to do that; you'd have to ask someone else).

the problem with that is

I'm already using Sniffits and Hammer Bros are necessary to my level. I think I'm just going to change my plans with this NPC and make it a type of piranha plant and resprite a pipe as well

:nb_pride:
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Since I am pretty bad at doing graphics, I feel pretty hopeless even with the simplest things.

It's really only a matter of... maybe a few minutes. If you are interested in helping me out, I've put a description of what I need in the spoiler below.
All I need are 2 spritesets for Toad and Link. That is, the player sprites (toad-1, toad-2 etc in the graphics folder) with sunglasses for all forms (small, big, Fireflower etc.)
Help would be very appreciated.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Does anyone know of any GOOD house interior tilesets? I've checked the packs in the signup thread, but none of them have anything that fits what I'm looking for, and I've had no luck with my searches thus far. :(
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

So I have an NPC with animation that looks fine in the editor, but in testing it seems to be running the frames in reverse?
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Hmm... are there any blocks that can ONLY be destroyed with bombs? There are those 'hammer suit'-destructable gray brick blocks in the SMB3 category, but as far as I can tell, every block that's breakable with bombs can also be destroyed by the elf's sword (such as the 'bombable stone' blocks in the SMB2 category)... If there aren't any such blocks, is it possible that there's some kind of coding that could make a block that's only breakable with bombs?

Also anyone that needs level testing can feel free to send stuff my way; I just can't necessarily promise I'll do it immediately...
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Is there no way of changing the appearance of an NPC climbing on a fence?
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

swirlybomb wrote:Hmm... are there any blocks that can ONLY be destroyed with bombs? There are those 'hammer suit'-destructable gray brick blocks in the SMB3 category, but as far as I can tell, every block that's breakable with bombs can also be destroyed by the elf's sword (such as the 'bombable stone' blocks in the SMB2 category)... If there aren't any such blocks, is it possible that there's some kind of coding that could make a block that's only breakable with bombs?
If there's no other way, I know it could be done with LunaLua... Something along the lines of...

Code: Select all

local EXPL_ANIM_ID1 = 69 -- This is the animation that says BOMB!
local EXPL_ANIM_ID2 = 71 -- This is the animation with the stars
local DEST_BLOCK_ID = 136 -- Change this if you want to destroy a different block type
local DEST_ANIM_ID = 10 -- Change this to change the destruction animation, 108 doesn't look bad
local EXPL_DIST_SQR = 150*150 -- Change this to change explosion radius. This is 150 units.

function onLoop()
	for i,ani in pairs(animations()) do
		-- If we've found an explosion animation, find blocks near it
		if (ani.id == EXPL_ANIM_ID1 or ani.id == EXPL_ANIM_ID2) then
			for j,block in pairs(findblocks(DEST_BLOCK_ID)) do
				local dx = block.x - ani.x
				local dy = block.y - ani.y
				local dist = dx*dx + dy*dy
				if (dist < EXPL_DIST_SQR) then
					-- Spawn destruction animation where block was
					runAnimation(DEST_ANIM_ID, block.x, block.y, 0)
					-- If the block exploded... we currently have no API to kill it... so teleport it to nowhereland
					block.x = 0
					block.y = 0
				end
			end
		end
	end
end
Just tested the code I wrote there... and seems to work nicely. I might end up using something like this myself... :D
Just pick a normally indestructible block, such as 136... and this will manually implement making bombs with explosion effects 69 or 71 destroy it, leaving an effect 10 animation in the block's place.
swirlybomb wrote:Also anyone that needs level testing can feel free to send stuff my way; I just can't necessarily promise I'll do it immediately...
I might have to take you up on that once I have more level in my level (as opposed to atmosphere and mechanical trickery)
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

I haven't yet looked at a tutorial on how LunaLua works (since I wasn't expecting to use it >.> ), but I will when I get the chance, thank you for that.

Furthermore... is there coding to make enemies immune to sword attacks, and/or have them react like SMB3 Bob-ombs or SMB2 Mushroom Blocks when hit (that is, get knocked away slightly)?

No idea if I should be putting spoiler tags on these things or not.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

swirlybomb wrote:Also anyone that needs level testing can feel free to send stuff my way; I just can't necessarily promise I'll do it immediately...
I'm pretty much done with my level, but I'd love to get some more feedback before I submit my level just in case...
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

swirlybomb wrote:I haven't yet looked at a tutorial on how LunaLua works (since I wasn't expecting to use it >.> ), but I will when I get the chance, thank you for that.
If you just want to use the snippet I gave without diving deeper, it's as simple as "copy that text into a file named lunadll.lua in the same folder you put custom graphics and such in". If you want to dive deeper, I suggest the links referenced in the thread where LunaLua was introduced
swirlybomb wrote:Furthermore... is there coding to make enemies immune to sword attacks, and/or have them react like SMB3 Bob-ombs or SMB2 Mushroom Blocks when hit (that is, get knocked away slightly)?
For an enemy that's already vulnerable to a sword attack, I don't know a way to remove that vulnerability, because 1) I know of no flag that changes that, and 2) The engine processes such things before LunaLua/LunaDLL can see what's happening in a given frame... however coding could implement extra behaviour such as that "get knocked away slightly" if the NPC you start with is already immune to sword attacks (i.e. Boos)
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Rednaxela wrote:
swirlybomb wrote:Furthermore... is there coding to make enemies immune to sword attacks, and/or have them react like SMB3 Bob-ombs or SMB2 Mushroom Blocks when hit (that is, get knocked away slightly)?
For an enemy that's already vulnerable to a sword attack, I don't know a way to remove that vulnerability, because 1) I know of no flag that changes that, and 2) The engine processes such things before LunaLua/LunaDLL can see what's happening in a given frame... however coding could implement extra behaviour such as that "get knocked away slightly" if the NPC you start with is already immune to sword attacks (i.e. Boos)
The way you'd probably do this is to set the specified NPC as "friendly", then attach an invisible enemy (usually SMB3 Bob-omb) to it, covering its hitbox. Then, the NPC is invincible, but you can script all behaviour with LunaLua based on the state of the Bob-omb. I suggest taking a look at the CinematX boss example for some sample code.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

FusionWarrior wrote:
I'm pretty much done with my level, but I'd love to get some more feedback before I submit my level just in case...
I wouldn't mind testing it for ya! Although, I'm working on a level, too, so I'm not sure if that's allowed...
Penguin Emperor
Omnipotent Feathered Tyrant

Post by Penguin Emperor »

So I feel really stupid because I know I saw it at some point, but how do we go about turning in our finished levels? I know I saw Horikawa mention it somewhere, but I can't find it. Thanks for helping a clueless penguin!
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Penguin Emperor wrote:So I feel really stupid because I know I saw it at some point, but how do we go about turning in our finished levels? I know I saw Horikawa mention it somewhere, but I can't find it. Thanks for helping a clueless penguin!
Private message it to Horikawa.
Klaty
GUESS WHO
Pronouns: male/neutral

Post by Klaty »

Gaah, I weep at my miserable try at progressing my level today. T~T
I got a room done a week ago, which is a great start for someone who has never handled a SMBX engine or really any engine at all. I tried to make another, and I got an idea of disabling left movement, and using help of a door or two and a slope to progress... And also a secret in the pit. I think I tried to go to Level > Properties... and everything was greyed out except the Level Name bar. How do I make it... not do that?

I also somehow forgot how to apply a background. I know there are those seperate tiles o' 'em in the Backgrounds section, but I meant like the whole, big picture on the paper. I already did it once, how did I happen to forget it now? I searched pretty much everywhere, but I was afraid I would accidentally press something I shouldn't've. In the end I did happen to accidentally close the taskbar in the left that lets you choose enemies and background elements and such.

Also, I seem to be unable to test my level. That could help the progression a lot, to see what's missing/wrong/broken and so on. It says I'm missing "pge.engine", but I don't know where to get that. :?

I wouldn't want to spoil much from my level ideas, but I decided to go with the ol' forest maze thing, with a tiny twist. I was thinking of having one section have that you'd be walking inside the walls, and everything would be kinda reversed. I know you can do that in SMW, but dunno if it works here. I don't feel excited about it really, so I might forget that idea completely.
Then the other section idea was a bit more custom, but it'd be mainly just a midpoint/power-up room. I would put custom tiles and maybe custom BG too, but with what colors?... Purple and yellow stripes? That'd be neat I guess. It reminds me of Dimentio, from SPM. :geek:
That annoying guy who always misses everything important and doesn't know what's going on most of the time. (also occasionally freaks out about minor things)
Wohlstand
Moondust and TheXTech developer
First name: Vitaly

Post by Wohlstand »

Klaty wrote:I think I tried to go to Level > Properties... and everything was greyed out except the Level Name bar. How do I make it... not do that?
There are PGE Specific features which now are WIP. SMBX64 standard aren't support those flags.
Klaty wrote: I also somehow forgot how to apply a background.
View -> Section properties. Choice background image from list.
Klaty wrote: Also, I seem to be unable to test my level. That could help the progression a lot, to see what's missing/wrong/broken and so on. It says I'm missing "pge.engine", but I don't know where to get that. :?
pge engine - is a WIP part of PGE Project. You can get it here: http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_laboratory/ (you should update ALL your config packs and editor too to take correct working of everything).
Before PGE Engine in works, you should open SMBX Editor in parallel.
http://help.engine.wohlnet.ru/levelediting/testing.html

You have two ways to test levels:
Classic method: (you need manually run test from SMBX, but WITHOUT SAVING)

Modern method: (You can ask testing from PGE Editor directly. To take it working, you need a LunaLUA v0.5.3 and greater and latest build of PGE Editor which you can get from same laboratory)

EDIT: Fixed dupe video link
Last edited by Wohlstand 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Klaty
GUESS WHO

Post by Klaty »

Wohlstand wrote: View -> Section properties. Choice background image from list.
Thanks! BTW it was actually Section Settings, but whatever.
Wohlstand wrote: You can get it here: http://engine.wohlnet.ru/docs/_laboratory/ (you should update ALL your config packs and editor too to take correct working of everything).
Before PGE Engine in works, you should open SMBX Editor in parallel.
http://help.engine.wohlnet.ru/levelediting/testing.html
I'll take the Modern way, thank you.
Also I already have downloaded the Editor, but from Horikawa's link (from the sign-up thread), and I'm not sure if it's up to date. Do I have to download it again? Man, that's annoying...

I kinda have trouble understanding you, with the grammar and all... I take it that English is not your primary language? (well, that might not be so, since I speak just fine and English is my secondary language...)
That annoying guy who always misses everything important and doesn't know what's going on most of the time. (also occasionally freaks out about minor things)
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans

Post by Rednaxela »

Klaty wrote:I'll take the Modern way, thank you.
Also I already have downloaded the Editor, but from Horikawa's link (from the sign-up thread), and I'm not sure if it's up to date. Do I have to download it again? Man, that's annoying...
For the 'Modern' way, the link that's currently in the first post of the sign-up thread is up to date it appears.... but this is not the same as the link that used to be there. If you downloaded it prior to Feb 13th it's likely the older version that doesn't support that.
Klaty
GUESS WHO

Post by Klaty »

Rednaxela wrote:For the 'Modern' way, the link that's currently in the first post of the sign-up thread is up to date it appears.... but this is not the same as the link that used to be there. If you downloaded it prior to Feb 13th it's likely the older version that doesn't support that.
Got it! Thanks. I have a confusing schedule for school this week so I'll look into more advanced stuff like Events and such next week. I hope it'll turn out good! :)
DullahanDodgeman
The Incompetent

Post by DullahanDodgeman »

Does anyone happen to have the sprite for NPC Link as Sheath on hand, or a link to it? And quick question, were the sprites for Sheath changed since ASMBXT ptts, because I'm using the sprites from that right now.
Is this the spot where I place my order for a large pizza?