(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Rixithechao »

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:So I'd like to cycle through an unspecified number of layers being visible and ideally have them animate upon becoming visible. Kinda like yoku blocks only definitely not actually yoku blocks.
From what I've gathered I can have each set of cycling layers in a different section and have the events only run in those sections with lunadll, but is it at all possible to stop them cycling within the same section?
Also am I correct in believing none of the lunastuff can animate a thing itself? I haven't looked into cinematX too thoroughly, but if I'm understanding correctly lua's Animation class is not at all the thing I'm looking for and dll can't do anything even resembling what I'm after.
It depends on what the thing is in question. The LunaLua Animation class is for particle effects and the cinematX animation functionality lets you give NPCs state-based animation like you see on Uncle Broadsword and Calleoca in my dev videos. That may not be what you're looking for.

cinematX does, however, use coroutines, which would allow you to run code like this:

Code: Select all

triggerEvent ("Yoku step 1")
waitSeconds (1.2)
triggerEvent ("Yoku step 2")
waitSeconds (1.2)
etc...
You can implement coroutines without cinematX, but cinematX comes with them built-in.

LunaLua has onLoopSection_() and onLoadSection_() events and the trigger SMBX event function above. LunaLua has a Layer class but it's is somewhat limited at the moment, so you'd be better off hiding and showing layers manually via SMBX events. You could also animate blocks by using findblocks () to create an array of blocks with a certain ID and then changing those blocks' ids at regular intervals.
arabsalmon wrote:Is there something I am doing wrong with the custom music? I have my mp3 in my level folder, and I am typing its name exactly as it appears into the editor where it asks for a filename for custom music. And yet it refuses to play.

My level seems to ignore anything but custom graphics. It doesn't find custom music, and it ignores any kind of LunaDLL txt files as well, even though I am certain everything is where it should be.
Sometimes the SMBX editor won't detect a song until you close it and re-open it, though if that doesn't help (assuming you're using Windows) you may want to check your Folder Options to make sure your file doesn't have the extension hidden -- it could be named something like "filename.mp3.mp3" and that may be throwing SMBX off.

As for the code, make sure your local LunaLua scripts are named "lunadll.lua" and your autocode files are named "lunadll.txt".
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Quman

Post by Quman »

Where can I download ASMBXT, A2XT, and the previous MaGL X? There are certain graphics I want for my level, such as Demo's siblings, and if I had the games I could easily track down the graphics I want, but whenever I search for a place to download those games I just find a dev kit or the wiki.
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Sorel »

About the MP3 not playing:

Put the MP3 file outside of the level folder and try again. If it still doesn't work, then I have no other ideas.
AuraPaladin

Post by AuraPaladin »

Whimsical Calamari wrote:Are you referring to the hearts that appear at the top of the screen for Toad/Peach/Link? If so, those are hard-coded, and (if it's even possible) to edit them you'd have to do something with LunaDLL/LunaLua, and I'm not at all sure what.
Heh, that's what I was afraid of :/ I mean, I was planning on using LunaLua anyway, but that makes this a tad more interesting.

I suppose the other question that stems from this is what layer is the hard-coded interface placed on? If I can gain access to that, I should be able to sort out my problem just fine.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

FluffiMasta wrote:About the MP3 not playing:

Put the MP3 file outside of the level folder and try again. If it still doesn't work, then I have no other ideas.
...D'oh! I misread that part. Yeah, that's probably the issue.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Ometeotl

Post by Ometeotl »

Well, I fully committed to my chosen name, so here are my rejects.
Cameras Do Not Come from the Keep. Where the Heck Were You Raised to Think That? They Come from Fortress

Boy this was a doozy. I kind of tried thinking of a way to justify a gameplay difference between keeps and Fortresses that was enough to not be repetitive, but similar enough to make the joke where the character is treated like a moron for not knowing about the origins of cameras.

Is That Solid Snake and Bullet Bill Together!?

I almost chose this one, with Snake coming to the realization that every bullet he shoots is a living being with a plethora of nanomachine jokes, but ehhhh...

Behold, There Is a Scheme. Rejoice!

I imagined this level being based around a character telling you what to do next and speaking in awkward English (such as the title), but no actual level ideas came with it.

Respectfully Wreck in Kanto

Probably my second choice. A Pokemon level could be pretty interesting, but I liked the idea I came up with for the chosen name, so this was put to the side.
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Rockythechao wrote:
arabsalmon wrote:Is there something I am doing wrong with the custom music? I have my mp3 in my level folder, and I am typing its name exactly as it appears into the editor where it asks for a filename for custom music. And yet it refuses to play.

My level seems to ignore anything but custom graphics. It doesn't find custom music, and it ignores any kind of LunaDLL txt files as well, even though I am certain everything is where it should be.
Sometimes the SMBX editor won't detect a song until you close it and re-open it, though if that doesn't help (assuming you're using Windows) you may want to check your Folder Options to make sure your file doesn't have the extension hidden -- it could be named something like "filename.mp3.mp3" and that may be throwing SMBX off.

As for the code, make sure your local LunaLua scripts are named "lunadll.lua" and your autocode files are named "lunadll.txt".
Even though I restarted the editor three or four times earlier, it seemed to work for some reason on the fifth time.

I'm not doing any lua stuff, just trying to use the autocode, but it ignores the txt file. I found several tutorials and followed them to the letter, but it simply doesn't want to accept it.

I even used it with the Devkit that Horikawa provided, and it still threw a fit.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Rockythechao wrote:It depends on what the thing is in question. The LunaLua Animation class is for particle effects and the cinematX animation functionality lets you give NPCs state-based animation like you see on Uncle Broadsword and Calleoca in my dev videos. That may not be what you're looking for.

cinematX does, however, use coroutines, which would allow you to run code like this:

Code: Select all

triggerEvent ("Yoku step 1")
waitSeconds (1.2)
triggerEvent ("Yoku step 2")
waitSeconds (1.2)
etc...
Okay I think I have an idea how to do it now, thanks. Assuming lunalua can do stuff based on the player's X-position, that is, I don't quite know offhand but it seems like a reasonable assumption.
You can implement coroutines without cinematX, but cinematX comes with them built-in.

LunaLua has onLoopSection_() and onLoadSection_() events and the trigger SMBX event function above. LunaLua has a Layer class but it's is somewhat limited at the moment, so you'd be better off hiding and showing layers manually via SMBX events. You could also animate blocks by using findblocks () to create an array of blocks with a certain ID and then changing those blocks' ids at regular intervals.
Oh I totally could do it that way couldn't I. Alright, thanks. I feel a bit silly for not thinking of that myself.
Quman wrote:Where can I download ASMBXT, A2XT, and the previous MaGL X? There are certain graphics I want for my level, such as Demo's siblings, and if I had the games I could easily track down the graphics I want, but whenever I search for a place to download those games I just find a dev kit or the wiki.
ASMBXT
A2XT
MaGL X
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
arabsalmon wrote:
Rockythechao wrote:

Even though I restarted the editor three or four times earlier, it seemed to work for some reason on the fifth time.

I'm not doing any lua stuff, just trying to use the autocode, but it ignores the txt file. I found several tutorials and followed them to the letter, but it simply doesn't want to accept it.

I even used it with the Devkit that Horikawa provided, and it still threw a fit.
Try a different mp3. Or post it here and we'll try it.
Sorry, should have clarified. The mp3 worked after I opened and closed the editor a few times.

As of now I'm fiddling with LunaDll to see if I can get it to recognize my lunadll.txt file. The devkit doesn't seem to be much help.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

arabsalmon wrote:Sorry, should have clarified. The mp3 worked after I opened and closed the editor a few times.

As of now I'm fiddling with LunaDll to see if I can get it to recognize my lunadll.txt file. The devkit doesn't seem to be much help.
Where exactly are you placing your lunadll.txt file?
For example, if your level file is named: "TheBestLevel.lvl", then the autocode file should be "TheBestLevel\lunadll.txt" (note the directory there)

Zyglrox Odyssey wrote:Okay I think I have an idea how to do it now, thanks. Assuming lunalua can do stuff based on the player's X-position, that is, I don't quite know offhand but it seems like a reasonable assumption.
Yeah, you can do things like "if (player.x > 15000) then"
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Rednaxela wrote:
arabsalmon wrote:Sorry, should have clarified. The mp3 worked after I opened and closed the editor a few times.

Where exactly are you placing your lunadll.txt file?
For example, if your level file is named: "TheBestLevel.lvl", then the autocode file should be "TheBestLevel\lunadll.txt" (note the directory there)
Here was my process, based on the tutorials I have found:

1) Download LunaDll Package and SMBX1.3.0.1+LunaDLLv04-17-14 file.
2) Move LunaDll.dll, LunaDll.sln, and LunaDll folder containing header and cpp files to SMBX folder.
3) Move LunaDll-compatible SMBX launcher to SMBX folder.
4) Create lunadll.txt file in level folder (alongside custom graphics and everything else).
5) Type 'DebugPrint,0,0,0,0,0,0' into lunadll.txt.
6) Run SMBX and open level.
7) Run level.
8) ???
9) No profit yet.
Blue Podoboo

Post by Blue Podoboo »

Are we allowed to use custom cheats to trigger events?
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

arabsalmon wrote: Here was my process, based on the tutorials I have found:

1) Download LunaDll Package and SMBX1.3.0.1+LunaDLLv04-17-14 file.
2) Move LunaDll.dll, LunaDll.sln, and LunaDll folder containing header and cpp files to SMBX folder.
3) Move LunaDll-compatible SMBX launcher to SMBX folder.
4) Create lunadll.txt file in level folder (alongside custom graphics and everything else).
5) Type 'DebugPrint,0,0,0,0,0,0' into lunadll.txt.
6) Run SMBX and open level.
7) Run level.
8) ???
9) No profit yet.
The maglx2 devkit should already contain the lunadll. You might need to download the devkit again, and then try if this example level works for you. It should change the player character when entering a door with lunadll.

download/file.php?id=9672
Blue Podoboo wrote:Are we allowed to use custom cheats to trigger events?
I'd think so. It's just an another way to control the game.
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Willhart wrote: The maglx2 devkit should already contain the lunadll. You might need to download the devkit again, and then try if this example level works for you. It should change the player character when entering a door with lunadll.
Using the updated devkit sent out however many days ago, the test level works fine. Using the same devkit, mine does not. I even copied over the lunadll file from the test level to my folder.

I'm waiting for that sense of dawning comprehension that simultaneously tells me what I did wrong and calls me an idiot for doing it.
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Willhart wrote: The maglx2 devkit should already contain the lunadll. You might need to download the devkit again, and then try if this example level works for you. It should change the player character when entering a door with lunadll.
Okay I officially give you permission to post your level to have it looked at.
PM'd it, figured it'd be a safer option.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Can we use any needed graphical asset from ASMBXT, A2XT, or maybe even MaGL X, in the interest of saving time? Not copypasting level design, of course, I ask this at a point where the design is complete, and the only remaining step is polish and refinement, and I don't want to spend my meager off time googling SNES game images and converting them (this weekend was almost exclusively this, besides making dinner), and risk running out of time. I'll have an NPC give a shoutout to the names of any level makers I have borrowed sprites from, of course. Thanks in advance for replying.
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
FusionWarrior wrote:Can we use any needed graphical asset from ASMBXT, A2XT, or maybe even MaGL X, in the interest of saving time? Not copypasting level design, of course, I ask this at a point where the design is complete, and the only remaining step is polish and refinement, and I don't want to spend my meager off time googling SNES game images and converting them (this weekend was almost exclusively this, besides making dinner), and risk running out of time. I'll have an NPC give a shoutout to the names of any level makers I have borrowed sprites from, of course. Thanks in advance for replying.
Go nuts!
Thanks! As it stands, all the custom images are either hand made, or pulled myself from google. The name saying npc will reflect any shortcuts I take from here on out.
ImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Well. I've put together a level.

It's terrible and hastily thrown together and I don't plan to submit it. But it's a level, and I managed to make it. I've been feeling a little stumped about what to do, and just making this to prove to myself that I could make a level at all has been helpful. I already feel more confident in my ability to make something decent in the next month.

Plus this means I have something to submit if I end up being completely stumped from here on out. Hopefully it won't come to that, but it's definitely a step up from having nothing to submit at all.

So I thought I'd share this as advice to anyone else who's finding themselves stumped or lacking in motivation: just make a level. Forget about the quality, forget about whether platforms or enemies are placed well, just make anything at all. Odds are the results of that mucking around won't be very good, but you'll get to try out some ideas, and some of them might even be interesting enough to fit into the real level. Even if that doesn't happen, it's likely to change your thinking from "I can't do anything at all" to "I can make something better than this", which can be a big help in getting started.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
FusionWarrior

Post by FusionWarrior »

Horikawa Otane wrote:If you'd like to credit people, I recommend including a .txt file in your level folder. It's just kinda the cleanest way to do it imho =). Unless you prefer the name-saying NPC in-level. That's fine too!
I'll likely include a .txt with more refined credits, but the NPC is way past optional and tucked away somewhere neat and tidy. Most players won't talk intentionally anyway. But I wanted something a bit more "in game tangible" for my most special of special thanks. It's all down to the polish now, after this weekend, I feel like I'll be able to sleep again without having ideas flood me all night. I hope I hit the right balance of challenging but fair, and atmospheric but wacky. Fingers crossed!
ImageImage
Penguin Emperor
Omnipotent Feathered Tyrant

Post by Penguin Emperor »

Ok, so I've been trying to make my level on my own to test the extent of my own ability, but I've gotten myself into quite the conundrum with 1 part of my level. I have an autoscrolling section that I want to be about halfway through my level, and I got it working just fine (thanks to the tutorial Frozelar made!) when I test just the autoscrolling part. The problem is when I test my level as a whole; the autoscrolling part doesn't start at the beginning when I get to it and you instantly die. Kinda bad for a level to do that lol. Any ideas on what is going on or how to fix this? The autoscroll seems to be very picky... Thanks in advance for any advice/assistance!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

Perhaps what you could do is have the autoscroll in it's own section, instead of in the middle of a section, if that's what you've done. Truth be told you didn't exactly give too much information as to why it happened.
Was it in the middle of a section that you started the autoscroll? What exactly were the conditions upon which you died? Was there nothing around you and the character just sorta glitched to death?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Penguin Emperor

Sorry for not being too specific, I didn't want to get too wordy unless somebody was willing to help out, so thanks! I put the autoscroll in section 1 and it is the entirety of section 1. In terms of my level as a whole, you go into section 1 as the 4th section of the level (just using a normal door transition). When you enter the autoscrolling section through the door, it starts it somewhere in the middle and instantaneously kills you. The autoscrolling section works fine if I start my test from section 1, and even if I start my test from the door in the other section, go through it, and play the autoscroll part. In my opinion, it seems as though the autoscroll is starting when my level starts and when I get to that section in a full playthrough the screen has scrolled past where the door is and you die. I think that's more detail than I gave before, let me know if you need to know any other information. Thanks!
pholtos
Loves adorable things.

Post by pholtos »

All right, now for this question. How do you have the event set up to start the autoscroll?
Host and Organizer of the Rando Pokemon Tournaments. Completed: I, II, III, IV, V
Dealer of the Pokermon Discord Tourneys.

ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

I do LPs, check them out if you'd like.

Currently playing:

The 500 char limit is evil. :P
Penguin Emperor

I have it in the Level - Start event which is what was in the tutorial. ...and I think that just answered my question lol I gotta try making this a separate event I think.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

pholtos wrote:All right, now for this question. How do you have the event set up to start the autoscroll?