(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by swirlybomb »

Kinda skimmed through this so sorry if these were previously answered;
Fawriel wrote:So hey, is there anyone around here who for some reason likes me enough to be my go-to person for when I need help? I mean, swirlybomb offered to test, but I feel like he might be swamped by requests pretty soon!
Honestly I'm not expecting much, considering how fast this thread is going and how easily that post would've been buried. So chances are I won't be swamped.
Grounder wrote:Why did you put Touhou titles in there when you have a stated bias against its music, Horikawa?

It seems counterproductive.
You don't have to use Touhou music in Touhou-titled levels. And/or you could use remixes that change the tone of the song to something more appropriate for a platformer (example: raocow's A2MBXT level "The Good, The Bad, and The Demo" using this song).
Alice wrote:The other issue is that despite my mask files being just fine from what I can tell, all the sprites appear with a white background where they should be transparent. I have properly named mask files that are the same size as the sprites with black where they should be solid and white where they should be transparent.
I'm pretty sure the 'transparent' region of your sprite images have to be pure black, same as the masks. I tried using a purple-pink-ish color once and it didn't work, but when I made it black, it did. It's kinda silly.
FlockOfWingedDoors wrote:Is there a frowned upon amount of events/layers short of the cap? Should I be aiming sub 20 or something? I asked before in another thread but I was just told the event cap is 99.
There's no limit besides the cap. I can't think of a reason there would be, since none of it is visible unless one is actually editing the level.
GenoWhirled wrote:Okay, I'm pretty much new to this. I downloaded the Wohl editor today and I am so clueless and it's just kinda stressing me out. If I try to playtest a level, it gives this message:

Can't start testing, engine is not found:
C:/[...]/SMBX/Wohl Editor/pge_engine.exe
Please, check the application directory.

And I have no idea what to do about it, can't find pge_engine.exe anywhere.

Technical problems aside, even, I'm still feeling super overwhelmed and I'm THIS close to just dropping out of the contest. I started thinking of some cool ideas to suit my given character and level name, but I'm not even sure if I can do it after looking at the program.
I think Dragon Fogel already answered this, but currently Wohl Editor cannot test levels; you must use SMBX instead.
Also there's no need to freak out and give up, it's only been one or two days since the contest started.
Klaty wrote:Anyways, no, that's not what I'm looking for. I'm trying to disable FFDshow atm, but I can't find it anywhere in my computer.
I can't remember off the top of my head if this is correct, but next time you're using SMBX and FFDshow begins flooding your system tray (in the lower right), you either... right-click on one of them or hit the 'Customize' option from the little arrow, and somewhere there should be the option to "only display one icon for this program" or something similar? Somebody correct me if I mucked that up.

By the way, this might be useful to go in the 'Resources' section?: http://image.online-convert.com/convert-to-gif
Last year I had MAJOR hurdles getting all my custom graphics working right and without any fuzziness because converting images to GIF files is a major pain. But when I was adding palette swaps to Superb Demo Sisters (which ultimately got unused, but still...), I happened across this site and found that it works perfectly. I was able to turn PNGs into GIFs with zero quality loss that I could see. So I'd recommend it for those of you that are making your own custom stuff. Unless there's a different program out there that works just as well that I'm unaware of.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
FusionWarrior
Super Sayian Mewtwo Genetic Freak
First name: Jon
Pronouns: Anything Goes

Post by FusionWarrior »

Quick question that would help out. Is there any way, without using Lunalua, to

make a stompable enemy able to be spin-jumped on without killing them once you made them damage you by normal jumping on them? I want to do some interesting aerial things, but that's tough when you go right through them!

I want to avoid using LunaLua if I can help it. I want to spend more time building a good level, and less time learning multiple tools and how they interact.

Oh, Swirlybomb, if you want an offline tool, for that, I recommend Irfanview. I've been using it as a no-cost companion for MS Paint and icon editing since the days of Windows 95!
ImageImage
raocow wrote:dragon ain't having any of my frosted flakes, that's how I feel
GalaxyOfJ
The Mysterious Stranger Except Incompetent

Post by GalaxyOfJ »

I have eliminated... the final name
Personally, I Think That SMB3 Is a Very Childlike and Precious Experience. I Captured That Here
Wow oh wow it was a hard decision to not take this name. Ultimately it came down to not having much experience with SMB3 (:c) and because of reason X that I must not utter. Oh well, the name I have chosen is much more... something.
swirlybomb
a bomb that is swirly
First name: Swirlus Bomberton

Post by swirlybomb »

Yeah, that's the thing... I was using IrfanView, because it worked in the past, but everything I tried to convert with IrfanView would get tons of stray mis-colored pixels everywhere and I had to fix them one by one. I think SMBX's double-sized sprites cause the issue, but I don't know that for certain. The site link I shared did work flawlessly, though.
anonymousbl00dlust wrote:All the obstacles in my level can be beaten on the players first attempt without any 'future predicting'.
SnakeBlock
Green Block Which Can Pass Through Walls

Post by SnakeBlock »

Just a question: Do I have to have five posts or higher to be able to join this contest?
A graphic designer who's r33lie gud and can very well accept logo requests from anybody. Also a level designer. Dislikes phpBB smilies very much. :o
Phoba
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Phoba »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: I don't know anything about lunadll but if you just want something that looks like a midpoint but does nothing you could use the SMB1 axe. Just make it trigger an event upon death that plays the "SMW Checkpoint" sound and change the graphics to make it look like the midpoint tape. Or you can make a background object look like the midpoint tape and make the axe invisible if you're using invisible axes to trigger events elsewhere in your level.
I meant more of an artifical midpoint, like having 2 midpoints in a level.
(a)smbx(t) stuff i'll probably not continue???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb3QzmureUo
SnakeBlock
Green Block Which Can Pass Through Walls

Post by SnakeBlock »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
SnakeBlock wrote:Just a question: Do I have to have five posts or higher to be able to join this contest?
Nope! Go ahead and sign up in the sign up thread!
Already did though. Thanks for telling me! ;)
A graphic designer who's r33lie gud and can very well accept logo requests from anybody. Also a level designer. Dislikes phpBB smilies very much. :o
h2643
<Knux> h2643 the super computer

Post by h2643 »

Finally submitted my level, hopefully it will go well.
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Phoba wrote:
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: I don't know anything about lunadll but if you just want something that looks like a midpoint but does nothing you could use the SMB1 axe. Just make it trigger an event upon death that plays the "SMW Checkpoint" sound and change the graphics to make it look like the midpoint tape. Or you can make a background object look like the midpoint tape and make the axe invisible if you're using invisible axes to trigger events elsewhere in your level.
I meant more of an artifical midpoint, like having 2 midpoints in a level.
Just noticed this. The answer is no. Do you remember raocow's LP of the first ASMBXT? There was a level called Luna Tower by kil. Kil had a huge hand in designing the LunaDLL and even he had to use hidden warp points instead of an artificial midpoint.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

A2XT final level had multiple midpoints. It saved your progress after completing each section before the final boss.
Ultratapir

Post by Ultratapir »

I applied for the contest via email, are the names for the email people just not sent yet or did i do something wrong? I'm probably just impatient but just to be sure :X
ztarwuff
What the heck is a flair and why am I being asked to write one for my profile?

Post by ztarwuff »

Willhart wrote:A2XT final level had multiple midpoints. It saved your progress after completing each section before the final boss.
Yes, but as far as I can tell, it did that by using a SMB3 Star (which disappears permanently after being collected) and having certain events triggered with its disappearance.

EDIT: Meant to say SMW Star. Which reminds me, are there any limits to how many SMW Stars a MAGLX2 level can have?
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

OK, here's a fairly esoteric question. I'm using LunaDLL to create a diagonal autoscroll in one of my level sections (going up and to the right). I have the autoscroll working fine with the section boundaries set to a single screen and the vast majority of the section outside those boundaries. My problem: once the autoscroll goes too far from the starting point, the screen becomes flooded with afterimage "trails" of moving sprites (not just Mario, but also my mouse cursor when testing the level in the SMBX editor). The problem seems to be one of going too far away vertically (a purely horizontal autoscroll isn't encountering that problem). Anyone encountered this before or have any insight as to what is causing it or how to resolve it? Thanks!
Dog In Da Grass
Woof!
First name: Dog
Pronouns: that dog

Post by Dog In Da Grass »

Dangit, Horikawa! Ya givin' me two fantastic names that I thought of awesome stuff to do with. If there's ever an A3MXT I'm going to have to make this other level:
Link and Gary Oak Meet at Last
And well the other three were nice too :3
Verbally Ban Lakitu
I'm Gonna Have to Agree with You Meta Knight, Bob-Omb Do Sound Recondite
Obnoxiously Annoy in France
:pal: Image :pal:

Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

ztarwuff wrote:EDIT: Meant to say SMW Star. Which reminds me, are there any limits to how many SMW Stars a MAGLX2 level can have?
Horikawa said on the SMBX forums, that there is no limit for the stars or other exits. If the level overstays it's welcome, it won't probably score that high though.
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Voltgloss wrote:OK, here's a fairly esoteric question. I'm using LunaDLL to create a diagonal autoscroll in one of my level sections (going up and to the right). I have the autoscroll working fine with the section boundaries set to a single screen and the vast majority of the section outside those boundaries. My problem: once the autoscroll goes too far from the starting point, the screen becomes flooded with afterimage "trails" of moving sprites (not just Mario, but also my mouse cursor when testing the level in the SMBX editor). The problem seems to be one of going too far away vertically (a purely horizontal autoscroll isn't encountering that problem). Anyone encountered this before or have any insight as to what is causing it or how to resolve it? Thanks!
You'll need to extend the background to cover all of the autoscrolling section, so that it loads correctly. Just extend the section boundaries to fill the whole area you can go, and then use this code to reset it's size back to one screen.

Code: Select all

// cmd name    section  X      Y
SnapSectionBounds,1,-200000,-200000,0,1,0
Edit: You might also have to choose a different background id, if the one you are using does not support vertical scrolling.
Fawriel

Post by Fawriel »

Here's a more general question: What possible reasons could there be for a judge to cut your score?

I mean, first of all there's all sorts of things that can go wrong to just make your level unpleasant to play. Stupid difficulty, tediousness, unpleasant music or graphics... What else is there? It could be unmemorable, or... use Touhou music in an inappropriate context?

I don't know, what other potential pitfalls could there be?
Wolfolotl
cryptid
First name: ovid
Pronouns: xe/xem/xyr

Post by Wolfolotl »

on the topic of Touhou music: as long as you use it well, it can work. it's probably best that you stay away from boss themes and that subpar EoSD swill, though. boss themes can sound tacky as the background for a stage (save maybe Youmu's PoFV theme, which was originally her stage theme in PCB), and EoSD music is just overused and not really that good in comparison to the music from any other Touhou.
I'm planning to use a Touhou piece for the main part of my level, though I may substitute a Kirby: Canvas Curse piece instead if it ends up being too unfitting
:nb_pride:
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Thanks Willhart! For a background to support vertical scrolling, does it simply need to be 600 pixels high?
Willhart
Banned

Post by Willhart »

Voltgloss wrote:Thanks Willhart! For a background to support vertical scrolling, does it simply need to be 600 pixels high?
It' either needs to loop vertically or scroll slower depending on the section height. Most of the SMW backgrounds should work.
Klaty
GUESS WHO
Pronouns: male/neutral

Post by Klaty »

swirlybomb wrote: I can't remember off the top of my head if this is correct, but next time you're using SMBX and FFDshow begins flooding your system tray (in the lower right), you either... right-click on one of them or hit the 'Customize' option from the little arrow, and somewhere there should be the option to "only display one icon for this program" or something similar?
There is not even one icon of FFDshow. Not even in the box that shows "unused" icons. Does that mean I don't have FFDshow? I guess the lag was just from pure crappy PC, but I do not have the time and money (mostly money) to build one. Buying one is much more expensive and it's not worth it value-by-price wise. Are there other ways to make SMBX faster? I've heard of putting the priority on High, but I don't think that's a good idea...

And I just can't find that video, it was comparison of "internal PCI" and "Luna/SDL2" sound engines... or something. It hasn't even been that long since I watched it, maybe ~3 weeks. I can remember pretty accurately of what it looked like. It had these grey pipes in the ground and from the sky, with coins between them, spawning infintely after you collected them, a black Yoshi (perhaps another Yoshi too?) to the left, and I think some Galoombas too on the right... Then there was a door in the middle, and when he went into it, the next room had MP3/OGG/other formats written big in text in SNES SMB3 bricks. I also remember the "PCI" thing not looping good.
Last edited by Klaty 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
That annoying guy who always misses everything important and doesn't know what's going on most of the time. (also occasionally freaks out about minor things)
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander

Post by Sorel »

Say, would it be possible to code a Lifebar instead of the normal "forms" with Lua?
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

FluffiMasta wrote:Say, would it be possible to code a Lifebar instead of the normal "forms" with Lua?
Lifebar itself is doable enough with either animation, sprites, or the text drawing function, but question is triggering it.
Hmm... Doesn't look like there's a way to "hook" most normal enemies being hit and prevent it from taking effect... but... I'm going to guess that if you use something that already takes multiple hits as the basis, one could probably read/write the counter they use with some hex address I'd guess... which you could detect a change in and reset to full, keep track of the health in Lua, and then trigger the kill when appropriate.
Alternatively, there's always the option of letting the enemy die and just spawning a new one if it's not supposed to be dead yet.
(Disclaimer: I'm new to LunaLua, but I've read the LunaLua docs and I'm not new to Lua at all)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ztarwuff wrote:
EDIT: Meant to say SMW Star. Which reminds me, are there any limits to how many SMW Stars a MAGLX2 level can have?
My guess would be the SMBX Max of 21 stars.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
7TC7
Squanshy Cat
Pronouns: he

Post by 7TC7 »

So, probably useful question for anyone planning to use both of their characters. Is it possible to switch characters without the need of that characters switch-block, best case scenario by switching to another screen?
If there is an easy way that I'm just not seeing, that would be great. If not, I'll probably find a workaround.
Meet me at YouTube and watch Touhou stuff!