(shouting)

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Post by Hoeloe »

Horikawa Otane wrote:
I'll add it to the devkit when it's released. I thought there was a massive bug that caused levels to crash automatically?
I'm using it right now, there doesn't appear to be anything of the sort. Though it does need a line changing to avoid breaking all NPC interactions (it's mentioned in the cinematX thread).
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Mikkofier wrote:I'm looking for a custom player graphic that replaces

Mario with an "enemy" character (goomba, koopa etc.)

Spriters Resource is a good site for looking for graphics.
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

Rednaxela wrote:
Horikawa Otane wrote:I recommend whitelisting it. Avast is giving a false flag. Otherwise, please go ahead and try using another .exe file and see if the Lua stuff works. It should, but I'm not 100% certain.
For reference, I'm having success using the Lua stuff with with the SMBX 1.3.0.1 executable, as per SAJewer's bundle
Thank you both <3
Mikkofier
What about Ron magic?
First name: Mikko J. Fuzzygrumbles
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Mikkofier »

ano0maly wrote:

Spriters Resource is a good site for looking for graphics.
Thanks, but I was looking more for readymade graphics. I don't feel confident at all that my limited editing skills are enough to go messing around with the player character graphics.
Many people need desperately to receive this message: I feel and think much as you do, care about many of the things you care about, although most people do not care about them. You are not alone.
-Kurt Vonnegut
Context-free Supper Mario Broth Roulette! NOTE: Potential Jumpscare warning!
Avatar source (for most of them).
OrangeChickenPasta

Post by OrangeChickenPasta »

You could try this but I don't know how good it is.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=4auGY1KOrCA
GenoWhirled
Shoe-kari

Post by GenoWhirled »

Fawriel wrote:: It'll look a lot less daunting once you checked out [url= tutorials[/url]!
Thanks, but does this have anything that will help me with the Wohl editor? Specifically the one issue I already mentioned?

Also, is it REALLY necessary, like the rules say? I think I have the grasp of the SMBX Editor's basics, since I made a level for A2XT with it, but Wohl, even if it probably IS superior, is kind of confusing.
The Guy who saved Patreon with butter and crabs.
Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Post by Willhart »

GenoWhirled wrote:
Fawriel wrote:: It'll look a lot less daunting once you checked out [url= tutorials[/url]!
Thanks, but does this have anything that will help me with the Wohl editor? Specifically the one issue I already mentioned?

Also, is it REALLY necessary, like the rules say? I think I have the grasp of the SMBX Editor's basics, since I made a level for A2XT with it, but Wohl, even if it probably IS superior, is kind of confusing.
All the testing should be done with the smbx editor. You can make/start a level with it too, and switch to Wohl editor whenever there is need for large layout changes. Most of the objects, tiles and other things can be altered with right click. Also a lot of important windows are under the view tab.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

GenoWhirled wrote:

The tutorials have things that are relevant to the SMBX engine's concepts regardless of which editor is used. Don't know of tutorial resources specifically for the Wohl editor here.

No, it's absolutely not necessary. It was just recommended because various features like actually having an 'undo' are rather useful.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Is it possible to have SMB2 grass that has nothing buried under it?

SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote:Is it possible to have SMB2 grass that has nothing buried under it?
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/forums/v ... f=35&t=449
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Gezo24

Post by Gezo24 »

So forgive me if this was answered somewhere, but if I recolor the character I was given (Give link a different colored tunic, etc), thats fine right?
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

Gezo24 wrote:So forgive me if this was answered somewhere, but if I recolor the character I was given (Give link a different colored tunic, etc), thats fine right?
You could completely swap their graphics if you want; it's the mechanics of the character that are important.

Speaking of graphic swapping... haven't quite looked into it yet, but is it possible to swap the graphics for the player character mid-stage?
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Hoeloe »

Horikawa Otane wrote: Okay, it'll be included then. You can rely on it.
Great! Thank you! It might be worth waiting until the bug I found a few hours ago is fixed though :oops:
Himanattsu
Pax East 2015!

Post by Himanattsu »

Boldy Queue in France
In The Beginning, It's All Assistants in the Bastion
Twists Do Not Come from the Estate. Where the Heck Were You Raised to Think That? They Come from Chateau
R-r-r-r-r-rejected!!
Last edited by Himanattsu 9 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

Garlyle wrote:
Speaking of graphic swapping... haven't quite looked into it yet, but is it possible to swap the graphics for the player character mid-stage?
Not out of the box. You could probably do it with LunaLua and forcing powerups or something.
FlockOfWingedDoors
Rolling Initiative...

Post by FlockOfWingedDoors »

I looked for these answers but could not find them.

1] is there a way to attach a layer to the player/camera? I want said layer to move when the player moves, and to follow them.

3] is there a way to have events trigger/toggle upon entering/leaving areas? I was thinking having an NPC die offscreen immediately and having that trigger an event, but is there an easier way? Toggling I'm especially curious about.
It's easier than 2by2 matrix multiplication.
Killscreen256

Post by Killscreen256 »

These are my rejected level names, plus a problem I've been having with the engine
In the End, It's All Attacks in the Hall
The only idea I had for this one is a level that takes place in a hallway. Sounds kind of boring for a level.

I Believe That Monty Mole Are Periodic and I Feel Very Strongly About This!
This could probably be a level with the occasional Monty Mole, also sounds rather boring.

Behold, There Is the Ability to Terrify!
This was the second best name I got. I would have made you go through a normal level, stuff would happen, then you would have to go backwards through a haunted version of the level.

Ewww! the Big Boo Are All Covered in Stairs!!!!
I don't even know how to handle this one without making what would have been a rip-off of raocow's level from the first MAGLX, and I wanted to be at least somewhat original.
The problem I'm having is with custom music. When I put the music file with the graphics, like the levels in MAGLX, SMBX refuses to play it. It works just fine if I put it in the same place as the level file, but as soon as I put it in with the graphics, nothing plays. Am I doing something wrong?

(edit) Fixed it. The music is working fine now, thanks.
Last edited by Killscreen256 9 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Holy

Post by Holy »

FlockOfWingedDoors wrote:I looked for these answers but could not find them.

1] is there a way to attach a layer to the player/camera? I want said layer to move when the player moves, and to follow them.

3] is there a way to have events trigger/toggle upon entering/leaving areas? I was thinking having an NPC die offscreen immediately and having that trigger an event, but is there an easier way? Toggling I'm especially curious about.
1. Nope, not with vanilla SMBX anyway. There's probably some weird luna trickery that could make it work.

2. I think the general method is to put an invisible SMB1 axe right on the entrance/exit and make the event trigger when that dies. You can also use it to trigger events basically anywhere the player walks.
Killscreen256 wrote: The problem I'm having is with custom music. When I put the music file with the graphics, like the levels in MAGLX, SMBX refuses to play it. It works just fine if I put it in the same place as the level file, but as soon as I put it in with the graphics, nothing plays. Am I doing something wrong?
When you direct SMBX to the song put the folder name before it, like "LevelTitle/song.mp3"
FlockOfWingedDoors
Rolling Initiative...

Holy wrote:

1. Nope, not with vanilla SMBX anyway. There's probably some weird luna trickery that could make it work.

2. I think the general method is to put an invisible SMB1 axe right on the entrance/exit and make the event trigger when that dies. You can also use it to trigger events basically anywhere the player walks.
Ok axe info is useful, thanks.

Is there any way to have a layer appear in multiple sections, short of recreating it? Or should I be learning luna for my idea...
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

1) Not with the Default SMBX, unless the level is an autoscroll (in which case you have the layer scroll with the autoscroll), or you force the player to carry an item like a key or Toothy (in which case, i think you can attatch the layer to the item).

3)

Code: Select all

TriggerSMBXEvent,0,0,0,0,1,NameofSMBXEvent
Throw that into Lunadll.txt under the correct Section #. Not that this method will only work the first time you enter that specific section.
FlockOfWingedDoors
Rolling Initiative...

SAJewers wrote:

1) Not with the Default SMBX, unless the level is an autoscroll (in which case you have the layer scroll with the autoscroll), or you force the player to carry an item like a key or Toothy (in which case, i think you can attatch the layer to the item).

3)

Code: Select all

TriggerSMBXEvent,0,0,0,0,1,NameofSMBXEvent
Throw that into Lunadll.txt under the correct Section #. Not that this method will only work the first time you enter that specific section.
Wow that's handy, thanks! Does ToggleSMBXEvent exist too?

Also, could I have an invisible enemy tail them or something?
ohmato
hey idiot

Post by ohmato »

Seeing as I'm not totally familiar with SMBX Link, could anyone enlighten me as to what kind of interesting game mechanics are introduced when you play as him? The spike bounce is about all that comes to mind, and the fact that he can't pick up stuff means I have to remove that from any gameplay involving him.
Garlyle

Post by Garlyle »

arabsalmon wrote:Seeing as I'm not totally familiar with SMBX Link, could anyone enlighten me as to what kind of interesting game mechanics are introduced when you play as him? The spike bounce is about all that comes to mind, and the fact that he can't pick up stuff means I have to remove that from any gameplay involving him.
You can't carry stuff traditionally, but you can "store" keys and bombs on slashing them to use them later. His powerups also work differently - like climbing surfaces he turns into a fairy to 'fly' up and this lingers a bit, while his cape equivalent gives you more or less infinite flight I think?

Create a playground area with a few different powerups around and give it a try? He's definitely got the most distinctively different gameplay.
Zha Hong Lang
"HTMI - Hyper Text Markup Interface"
First name: ZHL
Pronouns: Male

Post by Zha Hong Lang »

Well, I'm definitely pleased with my level names, even though I applied for hard. I actually had some trouble trying to narrow down a single one to use, lol.

I really like how smoothly this has been flowing so far. I'm also very content with the pace Horikawa is working at; it's very likely the best I've ever seen out of any event organizer!
(Formerly Jayoshi)
roundthewheel

Post by roundthewheel »

Well, I got all of my level done today except for the last room. That's kind of an uneasy feeling, like when you're ripping through an exam and feeling good and then all of a sudden you get wigged out because you notice you've marked too many consecutive answers as B or C. I've already tested it a bazillion times and tweaked things, so I'm confident it runs and flows fine, but just ..... kinda, HNNNGGG, y'know?

I had a lot of possibilities in my title options. It seems mine were not as Mad Libby as some of y'alls, and could have made some legit levels. I'm actually thinking of doing a minisode with some of my rejected level titles and a few others I saw here, if I can pound it out before the deadline.

My rejects:
[*]Hitch a Ride on the Rude Rip Van Fish Even Though It's Horribly Squeaky - entertained some ideas on it, and I think it would have been humorous, but ultimately decided it would move too slowly.
[*]I Guess I Should Warn You Ahead of Time, the Shy Guys Have the Ability to Remind in the Hills - Almost did this one, and had a full concept for it and everything. The Shy Guys would creep villagers out by telling them things they had to do later, which the Shy Guys couldn't have any knowledge of unless they were spying on the people -- you would have had to find drones that fed the Shy Guys the information and destroy them. Almost went with it, but had a flash of inspiration with one of my other names at the last minute and flew with it.
[*]Confounding XXI - I'll say. The only one I instantly dismissed out of hand.
[*]Frankly, My Deer, I Don't Give a Dam - I love me some puns, and I had some kind of black comedy ideas for this one, but most of my other ideas were better to start off and I don't think dark 'n' twisted is a look that wears well on SMB.
"We're grownups now, and it's our turn to decide what that means."
http://www.youtube.com/user/roundthewheelrtw